Running Away From Home

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 11, 2007, 8:19 PM

Post #1 of 37 (5786 views)
Shortcut
Running Away From Home Can't Post

I have a shih tzu at home and what happens is everytime when the gate is open he will run out from the house. I was wondering if there're female dogs out there which attracts him but somehow i don't see any. I tried beating(not abusing) him as a punishment for running out, yes it works, for ONE day! My family and I can't be using the back door to go out everytime and we don't feel comfortable locking him up. Oh ya, one thing he will do when he goes out wandering will be spotting cats and chasing after them. Each time he runs out, we'll have to RUN to chase him as he is going like so fast. Yes, he knows how to come back. Sometimes he goes out from the front gate and came back from the back door. But we are worried someday he might be taken, lost his way(due to going too far) or met an accident(touch wood) as my house is facing a main road. Any idea how can I train him to stay at the house compound when the gate is open. Gates are open when my family members goes out and in. Not open all the time for no good reason. Your feedback is much appreaciated. Thanks. Smile

irenec
Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2007, 8:53 PM

Post #2 of 37 (5778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [melwongsj] Running Away From Home [In reply to] Can't Post

My dog used to dash out too the moment the door is opened. At times I had to chase after her and she can really run fast and far Crazy Someone suggested that I command her to stay each time I open the door. It worked after a while. Perhaps you might want to try it. But have to start by training her to sit and stay first.

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 11, 2007, 10:42 PM

Post #3 of 37 (5776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [irenec] Running Away From Home [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea! 'Stay' works when i stop him from entering the house but not when i stop him from going out of the gate.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 12, 2007, 1:38 AM

Post #4 of 37 (5769 views)
Shortcut

dude, do u walk ur doggie at ur neigbourhood often??? 1st do that. walk him as often as u can. next u gotta train on sit stay command, be persistent. train at a daily rate. wats ur doggie's age??? if u wanna gve up on trainin, then i'l suggest u leash him each time the door is gonna be open. i understand how u feel. i have a jrt. nvr fail to wanna explore beyond his capabilities...cheers

ezekiel 25:17

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 12, 2007, 6:59 AM

Post #5 of 37 (5763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Running Away From Home [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't walk my doggie at my neighbourhood as i don't want him to get dirty and another thing is there're many crime cases around my neighbourhood so, i am SCARED. haha. If let's say no one is at home and i am going out, if i were to leash him then he would be leashed the whole day till someone gets home to free him, so i guess that's another problem. He's 2 years old. Will he be too old to be trained? Anyway, may i know what's a jrt? Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it.

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 12, 2007, 7:56 PM

Post #6 of 37 (5755 views)
Shortcut

aiyo, dont la keep him in a prison, let him out enjoy some dirty, plain fun. i know it can be difficult to some ppl if always need to bathe & such. but u can consider takin him for a long walk before his bathe time. by doin so, ur exposin him to the area in ur neighbourhood, crime case like wat??? u jz walk ur doggie without wallet/purse, mobile phone, money, property. u expect the 01s to snatch ur doggie away meh??? btw, if one day (touch wood) ur doggies got lost, at least he can remember the scent around ur neighbourhood & if ur lucky he'l make his own way home.

well u think abt it ok & keep us updated ya

good luck

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 12, 2007, 11:13 PM

Post #7 of 37 (5747 views)
Shortcut

Anyway, leaving your shihtzu out in the garden when no one is at home is an open invitation to a dognapper.

cindy_pebbles

Jan 12, 2007, 11:40 PM

Post #8 of 37 (5744 views)
Shortcut

Hi! Where does your dog stay? Indoor or outdoor in the garden? If outdoor, then the person who open the gate have to catch him before the gate is opened lor. If use auto-gate, then a bit susah. Hmm...why not like what Vinoviruz suggest, take your dog out for a walk with a companion. Family member maybe? Do it in the evening when it's still early and lotsa ppl around... I too..am afraid to walk my dog alone so I will walk my dog when I have company. :)
Or not, let him stay indoor la... then won't have this problem. My dog stays indoor coz I worried that he might get dognapped or poisoned or something..

PS: JRT is a Jack Russell's Terrier

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jan 13, 2007, 1:53 AM

Post #9 of 37 (5741 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I would suggest you take your dog for obedience training, a number of people train their dogs but do not really exercise what their dogs have learned. I have three dogs, a dob, a weimer and a dane and when any family member comes home to drive the cars in they go straight to their repective kennels and will not come out until that person who just arrive home gives the command or invite them out before they dare to come out. These dogs are obedience trained and the commands used earlier were "inside", "stay" & "ok" and now is auto but for "ok". You will be surprise to know if you can get one dog to do something on command the rest will just follow. From what you have posted your dog just want to go out to mark his space and that is really not good as if he happens to be out and if somehow he feels threaten by a passer-by he may snap.

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 13, 2007, 2:49 AM

Post #10 of 37 (5739 views)
Shortcut

haha.. true. Crime cases like molesting, raping and snatch theft. I see. I shall think about it. Thanks anyway. Smile

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 13, 2007, 2:54 AM

Post #11 of 37 (5738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Running Away From Home [In reply to] Can't Post

That was once one of our worries but somehow as time goes by, everything is fine so we actually did not worry about it already. But anyway, prevent is better than cure, thanks for reminding me about it! Smile

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 13, 2007, 3:09 AM

Post #12 of 37 (5737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] Running Away From Home [In reply to] Can't Post

My dogs stay outdoor, or maybe indoor, at times. Yea, that's what i was thinking, bringing someone with me, if possible, as evening is really dangerous especially when the sky is getting darker, but the problem is my parents did rather stay at home than to go for a walk while my brother who would accompany me, is staying in the hostel and will only come back during the weekends, sometimes. So.. you see my problem? Haha. Letting the dogs stay indoor would be worse. I don't understand it but I can never train them to pee and poo at where they are supposed to and they will never let go a single thing that they can chew, eat or bite. Ended up when we come home, we will see urine and poos all over the house and the house would be in a mess. Pardon me, they are mini monsters to me! Haha. Oh, i see. Thanks for the information!

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 13, 2007, 3:12 AM

Post #13 of 37 (5736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Running Away From Home [In reply to] Can't Post

I see. Where are all these training being held at? My dog is 2 years old. Is he too old to be trained?

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Jan 13, 2007, 6:04 AM

Post #14 of 37 (5733 views)
Shortcut

melwongsj..

all dogs can b trained, except for gila dogs.

i supoose u don keep a gila dog do u? so.. can b trained...

if u don wan ur dog continue be monster.. then train him lo... haha !

since he ade 2 yrs old, then sure wil be longer time to train geh... but stil, can train... don give up k?

My beloved Molly looks like MooMooo

My beloved Snoopy makes 1 of the funniest beagle in the world

My beloved Lassie is the teh-est sheltie although he is a male !

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

| Husky Zai : 24 Jan 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my Jewelleries Online

Photography Business Website coming up soon ^^

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 13, 2007, 8:24 AM

Post #15 of 37 (5731 views)
Shortcut

Are you in Subang Jaya? If you are, there's a training facility in Sunway.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jan 14, 2007, 5:20 AM

Post #16 of 37 (5728 views)
Shortcut

Two years is not an issue at all for training a dog, I started training my dane when she was 6 years old, a dog that do not like to walk on a leash in fact when you put a leash on she would just go down and trust one just cannot move it from that position. Her training started on 18th November 2005 and by February 2006 my 4 year old niece can walk that dane at "heel" out on the roads, I am not saying I encourage 4 year olds to walk dogs out on the road usually I am about 6 meters or so behind. This dog do not charge at passing dogs and does auto sit when the handler stops. Just in case you may be wondering when a dog should start to be trained, well, as early as 2 months. Training starts when you call out to it and it comes running, where to wee and poop, that is all aprt of dog training, even running out of the house.

Where to train, Puppy. Com has classes, M.K.A. too at and as PangurBan has mentioned, at Sunway, that is assuming you reside somewhere in the Klang Valley.

Go and take a look first then decide which is best suited for you. Good Luck.

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 16, 2007, 12:20 AM

Post #17 of 37 (5718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SupaMolly] Running Away From Home [In reply to] Can't Post

I see. Haha... hopefully not. Thanks anyway! I shall not give up on my mini monster. Smile

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Jan 16, 2007, 2:41 AM

Post #18 of 37 (5714 views)
Shortcut

melwongsj..

glad to hear tat..

well, a gila dog, just like a gila human, gets gila after some harsh mental mistreat.. so.. s long s u never mentally mistreat ur 'mini monster', then the day is still bright

u can enter ur 'mini monster' to training school.. hopefully will not be 'mini monster' but b 'super angel' hahaha !

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 16, 2007, 4:25 AM

Post #19 of 37 (5711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Running Away From Home [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope, i am staying at Ampang.. I see. which part of Sunway? Any near Ampang?

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 16, 2007, 4:33 AM

Post #20 of 37 (5710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Running Away From Home [In reply to] Can't Post

I see. Thanks for information. Really appreaciate it. Sunway is a little too far as i am staying at Ampang. I am looking for one which is near Ampang. Hopefully there is. Or I'll need to travel all the way to Sunway. Anyway, thanks once again.

melwongsj
Novice

Jan 16, 2007, 4:36 AM

Post #21 of 37 (5709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SupaMolly] Running Away From Home [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea, as suggested by them I shall really bring my mini monster to attend classes like what human does. Wink

I shall cross my fingers and pray for the best. Smile

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 16, 2007, 5:51 AM

Post #22 of 37 (5706 views)
Shortcut

The puppy.com classes at Taman Desa are probably the nearest for you. You could also consider the Malaysian Kennel Association classes at Sri Kembangan. It might seem far, but from Ampang, once you get on the MRR2, you'll be on the motorway almost right up to the entrance of where the classes are held.

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Jan 16, 2007, 8:22 AM

Post #23 of 37 (5700 views)
Shortcut

melwongsj..

good la u enrolling ur kid into class .. he can learn some obedience then.. easier for u too

evryone will pray the best for u don worry =D

wibbly
Dog Kichi

Jan 16, 2007, 7:22 PM

Post #24 of 37 (5696 views)
Shortcut

Nowadays, going out without bringing money etc is js as dangerous. For e.g. 1 lady was jogging in my neighborhood when a couple of guys attempted to rob her but when they found she had nothing, they stripped her n js left her there in the park!! Another lady only had RM8 in her wallet, so the robbers whacked her on the head with their crash helmets. They won't snatch the dog but they'll throw stones at it to injure it. So i can understand why melwongsj would be afraid to walk her dog alone. I also wait for my husband to walk our dog together, if he work late, no choice i js play fetch with her at our car porch till she tired from all the exercise.

So, girls, js be careful if u walk ur dog alone. It's a crazy world out there. Be safe!

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 17, 2007, 2:59 AM

Post #25 of 37 (5692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wibbly] Running Away From Home [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Nowadays, going out without bringing money etc is js as dangerous. For e.g. 1 lady was jogging in my neighborhood when a couple of guys attempted to rob her but when they found she had nothing, they stripped her n js left her there in the park!! Another lady only had RM8 in her wallet, so the robbers whacked her on the head with their crash helmets. They won't snatch the dog but they'll throw stones at it to injure it. So i can understand why melwongsj would be afraid to walk her dog alone. I also wait for my husband to walk our dog together, if he work late, no choice i js play fetch with her at our car porch till she tired from all the exercise.

So, girls, js be careful if u walk ur dog alone. It's a crazy world out there. Be safe!

thats why i called central sin city...! maybe gettin bigger badder doggies are the way to go. rotties, dobermen, GSDs

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my