Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Should shout or beat if puppy naughty?????

gtara_ec
Novice

Dec 15, 2006, 9:17 PM

Post #1 of 10 (3798 views)
Shortcut
Should shout or beat if puppy naughty????? Can't Post

I would like to seek for advised.

My 3 mths female puppy-BOBO.. too aggresive & active..

My problems... should i shout or beat her if she do something wrong or naughty????

as i notice, when bobo try to go in my sister room, my sister shout or use hand to beat her before bobo enter the room.... Its seems like working,,, as now, bobo dont dare to go in my sister room !!!! IS IT THE CORRECT WAY??????

so now, whenever i said NO (example: bobo will bite or play with my shirt or things i put at my room's rack as she sleep in my room) ... she is 'pretend sleep' when i get angry... then she will repeat the doing the things again !!!!!....i use my hand to beat her also, but she no 'takut' me....... die le,, my dog also 'buli' me.... (really upsad).

my sister said, the way i talk to her seems like play with her instead of shout loud loud (i actually dont like to shout...)

Wat to do now?????

HELPSSSSSSSS

THankssssssssssss

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Dec 15, 2006, 9:59 PM

Post #2 of 10 (3796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gtara_ec] Should shout or beat if puppy naughty????? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I would like to seek for advised.

My 3 mths female puppy-BOBO.. too aggresive i dont think it aggresiveness cuz too young, if she growls & show teeth, be careful ya & active.. she's jz a pup wat u expect??? sure very playful 1 Cool

My problems... should i shout or beat her if she do something wrong or naughty???? it varies fr case to case i also got beat but not with hand cuz later u wanna sayang with hand sure takut see ur hands, use a rolled up magazine instead, keep the rolled up magazine up high, when she sees u take the same mag, she'l know she did somethin wrong

as i notice, when bobo try to go in my sister room, my sister shout or use hand to beat her before bobo enter the room.... Its seems like working,,, as now, bobo dont dare to go in my sister room !!!! IS IT THE CORRECT WAY?????? ur sis is using the dominant, mood swing way to shoo her away, she'l grow up being afraid of her, if ur pup is aggresive when she grows up, she'l try to bully ur sis back

so now, whenever i said NO (example: bobo will bite or play with my shirt or things i put at my room's rack as she sleep in my room) ... she is 'pretend sleep' when i get angry... then she will repeat the doing the things again !!!!!....i use my hand to beat her also, but she no 'takut' me....... die le,, my dog also 'buli' me.... (really upsad). ur not bein the alpha dog at home thus she thinks she can push u around

my sister said, the way i talk to her seems like play with her instead of shout loud loud (i actually dont like to shout...) yes u may be too soft in correctin her but ur sis may be too loud in correctin her as well

Wat to do now????? forumers here can share exp only with u, u have a problem voice out & ppl will try to help, but when u face problems meaning uve done somethin wrong in upbringing bobo, therefore i suggest u get a book, the book will be with u more than us here, the book will guide u of all the necessary even before uve encounter any problems

HELPSSSSSSSS get a book

THankssssssssssss

ezekiel 25:17

Amanda85
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2006, 7:12 PM

Post #3 of 10 (3786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gtara_ec] Should shout or beat if puppy naughty????? [In reply to] Can't Post

bobo is juz 3 months old....she needs time to learn...u can't expect her to behave well when u taught her wat to do...

puppy needs time to get mature...

but i prefer scolding rather than beating....coz it will make ur dog afraid of d owner's hand...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Dec 16, 2006, 7:42 PM

Post #4 of 10 (3785 views)
Shortcut

Yes, use a rolled up magazine or newspaper, and put a couple of rubber bands round it.
Don't hit the puppy with it, instead thump the floor next to her to make a loud noise at the same time say NO very sternly. Let her associate your stern tone of voice and the word NO with your displeasure, and with things she shouldn't do. You must be firm with her and make sure she is no doubt who is in charge. Otherwise you will have lots of problems later esp if she grows up to be a BIG dog like a Neapolitan Mastiff or a very stubborn one like the Chow Chow.

(This post was edited by PangurBan on Dec 16, 2006, 7:43 PM)

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Dec 18, 2006, 7:04 PM

Post #5 of 10 (3769 views)
Shortcut

hi,

yeah...the other forumers are rite...ur baby still very young leh...cant really expect her to learn so fast n be the obedient darling u want her to be..she is currently learning her dos and don'ts as well as her ranking in the family...so you have to guide her properly now...

i would prefer to scold and use something to hit the floor (to startle her)

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

wibbly
Dog Kichi

Dec 20, 2006, 7:44 PM

Post #6 of 10 (3753 views)
Shortcut

Is ur pup really aggressive or she js havent learned proper manners? Puppies will normally bite and lunge to get attention and to ask u to play with them. But u need to teach her, starting right now, that's not the right way. Have u taught her the Sit and Down command? It helps coz when she start to get overexcited, u can give these commands to placate her. Then treat and praise her. U may also wan to introduce her to a leash n collar, it will help with her training. Can try reading Steven Appelbaum's "ABC Practical Guide to Dog Training" - it's an online training manual, a bit bulky but worth reading thru. I downloaded the whole thing (100+ pages) and bind it so i can bring it with me everywhere to read. Wink

I've seen puppies that are aggressive become even worse after being smacked. They see it as a challenge.

gtara_ec
Novice

Dec 26, 2006, 10:17 PM

Post #7 of 10 (3733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] Should shout or beat if puppy naughty????? [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you for your advise.

Milosevic
Novice

Feb 22, 2007, 8:15 PM

Post #8 of 10 (3617 views)
Shortcut

At any given TIME and PLACE you should not scold your puppy nor beat her! Period!

She is just a puppy. Puppy like a small kid needs exercise=walk/play,discipline= training/obedience finally give affection=praise/touch! Without this 3, your puppy will not become balance!

If you scold her, you will traumatize her and if next time she wont listen , what will you do...you will choke her to death? Dont make a habit of scolding her because once she gets mad, she will develop tantrum and dont want to listen and cooperate. Your puppy might be a slow learner and goofy. Instead we humans who gifted with brain should exercise discipline and reward. Ignore bad behavior, reward your puppy good behavior with treats and affections everytime she listens!

Good exercise like take her for a walk 20 mins everyday could reduce her aggressiveness. Sound like she accumulates energy because of boredom in your house. That's why she shows you her frustration! Or try playing throw and catch with her inside the house. It is like saying, get me out, get me out....!!

Frown
woof woof

(This post was edited by Milosevic on Feb 22, 2007, 8:27 PM)

makwk
Novice

Jun 30, 2007, 4:21 AM

Post #9 of 10 (3303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Milosevic] Should shout or beat if puppy naughty????? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Milosevic,

we shouldn't even scold (i.e. with a stern NO or BAD!)? how do you tell your dog he done something wrong?

zephyros
Canine Addict

Nov 24, 2007, 12:31 AM

Post #10 of 10 (2787 views)
Shortcut

u can try that or if u are really worried u can't train your dog....if u can't beat them, join them!rough your puppy up and your puppy tired lol tired puppy = quiet puppy (most of the time anyway).

or you can try to bribe your puppy to be quiet. when your puppy bites or does anything u dislike, take a step towards the puppy and turn your back. Ignore the puppy entirely, as if does not exist. As soon as your puppy quiets down then you praise. repeat this over and over as many times as needed.

one best way, is u coming through a door. go out, close the door, then come in. puppy will be happy to see you thus jumps on you. walk back out and ignore the pup. don't even look at it. wait a few seconds come back in. jumps on you again, walk out. repeat till your pup waits quietly. then immediately praise. repeat again.

this method is for people who are a little on the soft side. you still need to show your the top dog, so here is an alternative. Good luck!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my