shih tzu barked non-stop - need advise

evelynmoods
Novice

May 12, 2003, 10:04 PM

Post #1 of 9 (8980 views)
Shortcut
shih tzu barked non-stop - need advise Can't Post

Dear forum members,

i just brought back my 6 weeks old shih tzu, joey on saturday. my hubby ahve prepare a cage for him in the kitchen, as we are staying at apartment.

she was very quiet for the first day, just a little of noice (like crying), we went to bed at 3.30am, so i carry and put her in the cage, she was sleeping then around 5.30am she wake up and walk near to my cousin who is overnight at my place (he sleap at the living hall). makaing noise, so my cousin carry joey to sleep on my cousin stomach, after a while she quiet, so put her on teh floor with a tower, so she slept.

then on sunday, she was doing fine.... start to hear a few bark on her.... until around 9.30pm, we went out to snet my friends to puchong, then reach home at 11pm, i heard her bark so loud in the cage.... (at that tim2, i quickly rush to open the door for her to come out) , at taht tiem my only fear is my fussy neighbour will comaplin to the management... as i am staying in apartment (which are not supposed to have pet) ....

ok, then at night i put her to cage in teh kitchen, then she again bark.... so again i ahve no choice but to bring her to sleep with me near to my toilet in my room. i put newspaper aroudn for her to pee poo... then put her towel and toys.... so play a whiole while i was on bed... then she start to amke funny noise and walk nera to me , trying to climb up to my mattress (i sleep on floor), so i be firm and ash her go sleep with your toys, and i show her the place. She sleep quietly for about an hour ... tehn again clinmb to my matress...

i lost my temper, so i brought her cage to the room, and put her in teh cage she bark non-stop again... so i put her out... she quiet then but just for a whiel then she try to climb to my matress and guess what i do not allowed her then she sleep at the comforter.

But one things , she is only with me for 2 days, i tarine her to pee on the newspaper, and she did it everytiem... except twice when we go out and she in teh cage bark. so once we raech home, we let her out then she will pee at the living hall while running around like a mad dog.

Can anyone with this experience share with me , what shall i do when i ahve to go out and she is alone at home (coz i am on holiday now, will start work on june 1st), so noone will be at home... then what shall i do to tarine dher to sleep in teh cage at night. as my parents do not allowed me to sleep with pets, as i have very sensitive noise.

i am miserable, pls help

cheers,

evelyn, hubby and joey

jacng
Enthusiast

May 12, 2003, 10:57 PM

Post #2 of 9 (8973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [evelynmoods] shih tzu barked non-stop - need advise [In reply to] Can't Post

hi evelyn

i have actually answered your posts in another thread... Just refer there...

http://www.puppy.com.my/...;;page=unread#unread

but i think what your puppy needs is some kind of routine in his early life....

What I could do to help you here is just relate to you my experiences and maybe you can pick up some tips that relates to your situation.

I am also working full time and there is no one at home in the daytime to look after Dewey. So, what I do is i maintain a routine of feeding Dewey at about 7am to 7:30am in the morning. Normally, after the feed, he will pee and poo. Then I will confine him to my kitchen. Before that, I will make sure that there is nothing within his reach that will endanger his safety(for example, bits of debris that he might chew and swallow etc) I will leave some toys out for him to play during the day.

After work i normally reach home about 6:30pm. I will then feed him and clean up whatever mess he have made in my kitchen(normally chewing up newspaper that I have put down for him to pee and poo). then, I will let him out to my living room and play with him till about 10:30pm. Then, I will carry him to his cage in the kitchen and put all his toys and rug into the cage. Then I will off the kitchen lights.

As for toilet training, what I did was monitor him closely for the first week and whenever I see Dewey sniffing around in circles, I will immediately bring him onto newspapers to do his business. After a week, he seems to understand that the newspapers are the place that he should do his business. Praise your furkid and give him a treat whenever he does it right... he will soon get the hang of it....

What you've got to do is have lots of patience and love to stick it through....

Do post again if you need more help or further explanation....

jac

jacng
Enthusiast

May 13, 2003, 12:49 AM

Post #3 of 9 (8966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [evelynmoods] shih tzu barked non-stop - need advise [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi evelyn

What i meant in "soil their sleeping places" is that they do not like to pee or poo and dirty their sleeping place if they can help it.

it is best that you maintain a routine and let her sleep a one place only. she will get confused if you train her in to sleep in too many places at one time... Same as toilet training.... make sure you train her to pee and poo at one place only... too many places will make her confused.

hope i answered your question... if you need help, post again...

good luck in your training...

jac

evelynmoods
Novice

May 13, 2003, 1:07 AM

Post #4 of 9 (8965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jacng] shih tzu barked non-stop - need advise [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks jacng,

ok, i have just sent her to sleep permanently in my room toilet, so that it can reduces the noise whenever if she decide to bark, as teh kitchen is very near my neighbour, back to back.

i have also make up my mind to put her cage in the toilet, together with her basket of toys... so that she start getting use to it in this 2 weeks time, b4 i start my new job.

i thinks she is good girl... as this 2 days whenever my finger tap on teh newspapaer then i said to her :" joey, shee shee shee shee, i give you chicken treats" then she will do it i mena she will shee shee.

just now at 4pm, i move her cage everything to teh toilet just to tarined her sleep in teh cage, she was barking non-stop, i just pretend dunno anything, i just pretend i am not in then i on mu radio loud, so after a while she is quiet now, playing with her toys,....

hope that she will get use to it soon.

thanks for sharing here,

cheers

evelyn, hubby and joey

jacng
Enthusiast

May 13, 2003, 1:26 AM

Post #5 of 9 (8963 views)
Shortcut

hi evelyn

glad to hear that you have made a decision...

and it's great to hear that you have trained joey to pee on command... i have tried that with my dewey but after 1 month already still no result... aiyoh.. very pek chek.... so in the end i just let him pee n poo whenever he likes as long as it is on the newspaper i laid out for him....

do keep us update on the progress and if you need more help, u know where to find us....

jac

jacng
Enthusiast

May 15, 2003, 5:26 PM

Post #6 of 9 (8950 views)
Shortcut

hi evelyn

I have seen your shih tzu's photos and they are just so adorable....

how is joey's progress now? has she adjusted or are you still thinking of putting her up for adoption? do update us on joey's progress... and i do hope that she has adjusted to her routine by now. then you wun be so miserable and depressed.

jac

JaC & HuBby
.+"~"+.
(!
o o !)
)(
O )(
",,
U,,"

DeWeY

evelynmoods
Novice

May 16, 2003, 8:06 AM

Post #7 of 9 (8944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jacng] shih tzu barked non-stop - need advise [In reply to] Can't Post

hi jac,

thanks for your concerned.

Joey still the same, she is good at pee and poo, when we bring her to the newspaper a few times, now she knows where to go, just that once a while accident do happen....

If we leave her alone at home and either lock her in the cage or in the toilet... once we reach home and let go her.... She will always..... pee in the dining hall... have scolded her a few times, but she still do it.... i think that is a way she is showing to us that she protest... :" DO NOT LEAVE ME ALONE ...OR ELSE..... THIS IS WHAT I AM GOING TO DO !!!!"

As for her sleeping habit... i still dunno what can i do to her... she is very very sleepy from morning till evening, then night time she will not want to sleep, even now i put her to sleep with me in my room on the floor... she will still wake us at least 3 to 4 time a night... Any suggestion what shall i do....

i tried to play with her, kacau her when she sleep, get her to play .... but no matter what when she want to sleep , she will not care at all.... she will continue her sleep....

that her progress right now....

cheers,

evelyn, hubby and joey

scym1981
Novice

Apr 15, 2004, 5:47 AM

Post #8 of 9 (8602 views)
Shortcut

do you want to know wats in your pup mind??

hehehe.. there is a device which help a million dogs owner to understand their pet...

and this device is bark translator which is function to translate all the bark from your pup!!!

its amazing and i try it already... its really works!!! i now can know whether my pup is happy sad angry frustrated or even needy!!

i bought the dvice in canada!! and so far as i know this products only sale in usa and north usa for english version. i've already ask my cousin sis to buy back few set of it.. so i too hope dogs lover here can get to know more of theri dog!! Smile
ho...ho...ho uncle toby is here!!!

boon
Doggyman

Apr 21, 2004, 6:52 PM

Post #9 of 9 (8583 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scym1981] shih tzu barked non-stop - need advise [In reply to] Can't Post

u can order online at petsmart.com

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my