Home: Behavioral Problems: Dominant Dog Issues:
Fierce goldie bitin lil shih tzu pup

ChaCha
Dog Kichi

Dec 1, 2006, 3:02 PM

Post #1 of 10 (10847 views)
Shortcut
Fierce goldie bitin lil shih tzu pup Can't Post

hi all, i got a new pup 2 mths ago called Yuki (currently 5 mths old)and i hav a 5yrs old golden retriever (Cha Cha). when i first got the pup, i couldn't introduce her to Cha Cha (both dogs or female by the way) becuz she hasn't had all her shots. Cha Cha stays outside the house in the garden/car porch, while yuki stays inside with us. We kept them separate but sometimes cha cha got a glimpse of yuki. when that happens, she will get all excited n tries to get near yuki, but becuz yuki hasn't had her shots we quickly made cha cha go to the garden n brought yuki to the back of the house. now (2 mths later)after all her shots, i wanted to let them both play together but whenever they get together, Cha Cha will start to growl n bite Yuki. however, yuki seems to like it becuz even after gettin bitin (she yelped in pain once or twice), she will still attempt to play with cha cha. when she does, she usually stands up on her back legs so she becomes about the same height as Cha Cha...then knocked down by chacha n chacha will bite her in the neck, ear, head etc.
  1. HOw can i make them stop?
  2. how do i noe if they are just playin or Cha Cha is being aggressive?

my mom still wants to keep Yuki in the house cause she says yuki is small, can run out of the gate when we are not lookin n Cha CHa has to stay outside cause she keeps shedding fur..(Cha Cha has been staying in the garden/carporch ever since we got her.)

thx
Cha Cha & Yuki's blog

The Animal Rescue Site
Golden Retriever Meetup

HELP! Cha Cha is MISSING!!

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Dec 1, 2006, 5:11 PM

Post #2 of 10 (10844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ChaCha] Fierce goldie bitin lil shih tzu pup [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

usually younger pup will be more active and loves to play rough with the older young...despite their sizeCrazy they might provoke the older one.

i will suggest that for now, if you would like to get both of them to play together, make sure you are there to supervise...and if you feel that something is not right...quickly separate them

as yuki is new, cha cha may get jealous and not like her at all. but young yuki will not know it..she might just want to play while cha cha may get annoyed...normally if there is a new dog in the house, i would think it is better to let them settle themselves on who is the alpha dog..but bcoz cha cha is of bigger size and older...i don think this is a good idea at all....she might hurt yuki without realising it....

for this case, i guess u cant rush thing and make cha cha likes yuki all of a sudden..b sure that whatever you do with them, do it with cha cha first...then only yuki...as long as cha cha doesnt feel that she is being replaced by yuki and neglected, i think slowly cha cha will accept yuki...

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Dec 2, 2006, 6:16 PM

Post #3 of 10 (10839 views)
Shortcut

show more concern for cha cha the elder dog, watever u do, buy, praise, feed, pat, take out for walks, play, run, exercise, everything, it has to be with cha cha 1st, give it a couple of weeks (say abt 10 days) before bringing both of em out for walks together. in the meantime do not take yuki out for walks at all

good luck

cheers

ezekiel 25:17

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Dec 2, 2006, 6:19 PM

Post #4 of 10 (10837 views)
Shortcut

yea...btw...
  1. u cant stop elder dog's instinct to dominate & a young pup's playfulness
  2. cha cha is being aggressive cuz she growls, watch her body language carefully, she'l tend to stand with her head held high, tail up, teeth showing (all signs of dominance & aggressiveness)

cheers

ChaCha
Dog Kichi

Dec 3, 2006, 8:16 PM

Post #5 of 10 (10828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] Fierce goldie bitin lil shih tzu pup [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your advice! I'll supervise them each time they play...or fightUnimpressed

ChaCha
Cha Cha & Yuki's blog

The Animal Rescue Site
Golden Retriever Meetup

ChaCha
Dog Kichi

Dec 3, 2006, 8:18 PM

Post #6 of 10 (10827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Fierce goldie bitin lil shih tzu pup [In reply to] Can't Post

wow that's exactly what my dog does!!! ok so she IS being aggressive...will work on the two of them..wish me luck guys!!
Cha Cha & Yuki's blog

The Animal Rescue Site
Golden Retriever Meetup

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Dec 4, 2006, 7:11 PM

Post #7 of 10 (10817 views)
Shortcut

hehehe..GOOD LUCK

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Dec 5, 2006, 9:17 PM

Post #8 of 10 (10814 views)
Shortcut

good luck

mbless
K9 Kaki

Dec 13, 2006, 7:22 AM

Post #9 of 10 (10788 views)
Shortcut

Hi.. take them both for walk together... the person Cha Cha likes most walk her n another walks Yuki... When dogs go for walk together, they tend to concentrate on other things than fighting among themselves. Tat is usually the way I introduce my foster dogs to my residence dogs. On neutral ground, they are usually ok. Bring treats along n when both behave well, praise them n give them a treat. If Cha Cha growl at Yuki, just take her a distance away n talk to her, do not shout at her coz she will be more stress... patience n gentleness will do the trick.

Sydney
Doggyman

Jan 3, 2007, 1:03 AM

Post #10 of 10 (10762 views)
Shortcut

well puppies like to play with other doggies to socialize. If you dogs try to put on a fight, separate them. play with your dog when they're together.. that way they can know each other and even if they fight, you can separate them easily. Your retriver is somehow jealousUnsure spend time with both dogs together cause your dog dont like each other. Well, when Yuki gets older, chacha wont attack cause they spend quite alot of time in the same house together olediSmile

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my