Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Can't train puppy as he keeps biting my hands!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cindy_pebbles

Nov 16, 2006, 7:52 PM

Post #1 of 60 (3036 views)
Shortcut
Can't train puppy as he keeps biting my hands! Can't Post

Hi there! I need advice over here. I tried training my puppy to sit and stay but he keeps concentrating on biting my hands (and feet) instead. Unsure Everytime he bites me, I told him sternly "No!" but he acted like he didn't hear me. Never even look up at him. Crazy He also like to bite my fingers and pull it backwards. Is he playing with me? Sometimes it's sooo cute but sometimes it hurts like hell! How do I get him to stop all this? My puppy is a 8 weeks old MS.Frown

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

goofydip
Veteran

Nov 16, 2006, 8:31 PM

Post #2 of 60 (3034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] Can't train puppy as he keeps biting my hands! [In reply to] Can't Post

oh! i have the same problem like u!Crazybut my Goofy didn't bite me till pain la...just play bite only...Amanda in another thread thaught me to make him tired b4 training him as when he's tired, he'll give more attention on our command...u try on ur doggie n see...i trying on Goofy these few days...but i facing another problem bcoz Goofy tend to be more happy n more playbite n just woon't get tired even i play so much with him...at the end i was the one who got tired...hahahahai need to try more days n see..not every dog the same la...maybe this way works for ur dogone thing i could say is ur puppy is playing with u when he play bite...just that maybe he hasn't really good in controlling his bite strenghLaugh

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 16, 2006, 9:33 PM

Post #3 of 60 (3030 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] Can't train puppy as he keeps biting my hands! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

to teach sit, you will need to put the treat and lure him to the sit position. once he is at the correct position, click (use a clicker or say 'Good Boy' or anythg to mark the behavior) and then reward your dog. you've got to teach him sit first then only stay...

as for finger biting, i guess u have to teach him not to bite your fingers...each time he play bite your finger, stop playing with him and walk away...but only for a very short period (preferably about 30 seconds to 1 min). then continue playing with him again. if he bites again, you walk away again...repeat this for a few times and he will get the idea that if he bites, no one will play with him. but don leave him too long..coz puppy as young as he is very forgetful...if you walk away for too long, he will forget why u walk away and you will have to start all over again...

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

cindy_pebbles

Nov 17, 2006, 1:03 AM

Post #4 of 60 (3026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] Can't train puppy as he keeps biting my hands! [In reply to] Can't Post

I read somewhere that it's better not to train our puppy by using treat as a reward as our puppy will grow up expecting treats each time some tricks/commands is done. Is it true? Something about dogs not using his head to think but act as a reflex.
Yeah, I think I better start to train him how not to bite me first. Will try it out tonight! Tongue He is really a cute little puppy..hehe...
Thanks for your advice!

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 17, 2006, 7:25 PM

Post #5 of 60 (3013 views)
Shortcut

well....when you start training, you have to use treat or toy...if not, it'l b difficult to lure your dog to do the things you want them to do...

but of course, after your dog have learned them, you should reduce the treats...

like human, dog needs to get somethg in return for their work...if not, they won find it meaningful to workSmile

anyway, HAPPY TRAINING and update me ya! CoolCool

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

(This post was edited by jessicaohh on Nov 17, 2006, 7:26 PM)

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Nov 18, 2006, 3:03 AM

Post #6 of 60 (3005 views)
Shortcut

when he grows up his jaws are stronger u'l feel more pain, stop it asap Unimpressed jessica gave a direct training tip as to walk away practise that 1st

ezekiel 25:17

cindy_pebbles

Nov 18, 2006, 7:33 PM

Post #7 of 60 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Can't train puppy as he keeps biting my hands! [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried the trick yesterday night. After awhile he stop biting me the whole nite. But this morning, he bit me again. Guess he was too happy to see me...hehehe... will try to train him again later! Will update u guys later!
btw: my puppy took very long (about 2 hours or so) to poopoo after eating. Is it normal? Also need to train him on house-breaking..hehe..Laugh
Frown

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Nov 18, 2006, 8:23 PM

Post #8 of 60 (2994 views)
Shortcut

there is no trick, its very straight forward, u only need repetition, do it over & over again & he'l soon understand fully

some ppl say dogs will do their business within half hr after their meals but i kinda dont agree, sometimes they wanna go they go la, if they wanna tahan then they tahan la, so i toilet trained zeus, he'l go whenever he feels like it lo

cheers

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 19, 2006, 6:38 PM

Post #9 of 60 (2989 views)
Shortcut

hi,

you hae to practice it often so that your dog will get the idea that biting is a NO-NO

as for the poo...dats normal....i agree with vinoviruz....cant really say for sure within how long they will do their business...really depend...sometimes my doggie will poo within 10 minutes after meal...but sometime, the next morning only will poo! so long as they poo everyday, i think dats normal d....Wink

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

cindy_pebbles

Nov 23, 2006, 7:18 PM

Post #10 of 60 (2966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] Can't train puppy as he keeps biting my hands! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there! I tried the walk-away method when he bites. At first, he cried a little and walking around looking for me (which is sooo cute, btw) but after I have done it a few times, he thought that I am playing a game with him and he bites me even harder. Everyday after work, when I open the crate, he will jump out from the cage, rush to me, bite my feet and heels. And since he is getting bigger each day, the biting get worse. Whenever i pet him, he will aim at my hands and fingers. Sigh. I tried shaking him a little at the scuff of his neck, "growling" NO but he has no reaction to this! help!!! I really don't what to do. I am having lotsa scars on my feet and hands right now. My cousin who owns a Beagle told me that they will stop biting when they are about 5-6 months old. Is this true? I hope my pup is just happy to see me and is just playing with me, not because of some aggressive behavior. Any other idea? Another things is that he is sooo friendly with everyone and starts biting on whosever feet is available! Thus, my family and frns has to sit with their leg up the sofa to prevent him from biting their feet. Unsure
btw, my puppy doesn't like to peepoo on the newspaper. he will do it on the bathroom tiles if i were there to guide him. If not, he will do it anywhere he likes. I tried soaking the newspaper with his peepoo and he either start tearing the newspaper with his teeth or just lay on the newspaper. Crazy

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 24, 2006, 12:39 AM

Post #11 of 60 (2960 views)
Shortcut

hi,

in a way, your cousin is correct..because as they grow older, their urge to bite will become lesser...but u hv to train him not to bite at all because if they think that it is OK to bite, then even when they are older, they will still bite and the biting will be worse.

this training will take a while coz at their age and their nature, they just love to bite...but make sure that you show your displease CLEARLY to him and train him that each time you say NO, he will know that it's time to stop.

as for the peepoo....from my exp, if we put newspaper, they will enjoy biting and chewing them...so wat i did is i put the newspaper on a tray and covered it with some sort of 'net'. so the pup will not b able to bite the newspaper. and train them to peepoo there lo...it's some sort like a own made 'WIZDOG' lo...u hrd of WIZDOG?

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Nov 24, 2006, 7:31 PM

Post #12 of 60 (2951 views)
Shortcut

1st u must understand why dogs bite or mouth (1)pups are growing new teeth so its called teething, like baby la gums very itchy ma-solve this by getting ur furkid chew bones or rawhides (2) they show love also by biting, each time u reach home ur pup is very excited to see u, thus once u release him he'l gush out to greet u - how to solve this? each time u reach home, hold ur temptation to greet / play with him, ignore him no matter wat, dont even look into his eyes...i say give abt 10-15mins after he has calm down then only u let him out & play, it helps to reduce his anxiety & stress of waiting for u to come home (dogs' body clock are very accurate)

good luck

cindy_pebbles

Nov 27, 2006, 6:22 PM

Post #13 of 60 (2940 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jessica,
I am still trying to train him how not to bite when I am walking or when he is playing with me. So far, screaming OUCH and NO has not been working. Moving away is ok for the first few times, but after awhile, he beginning to think that it's a game and sometimes even purposely block the way from preventing me from moving away. Laugh He is really a smart puppy. Hehe...
Yeah, I have seen some posted thread about Wizdog. How big should I cover the area? I am teaching him to peepoo on the newspaper in the toilet. The first time, when i covered all the floor with npp, he did it all in the npp. But when i left some places uncovered, he will peepoo on the uncovered tiles. Will he get so used to the "wizdog" that he won't peepoo on the npp when i removed the plastic mats next time? Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 27, 2006, 7:01 PM

Post #14 of 60 (2937 views)
Shortcut

hi,

actually when u r using Wizdog (or ownmade wizdog)....i doubt that you will wan to put newspaper on the floor anymore for him to pee/pooWink

u can actually continue using it....i mean it won spoiled....for me, i made my own wizdog for my shih tzu.....so everyday, just need to replace the newspaper and occasionally clean the tray and netting...i think it is cleaner than putting the npp directly on the floor...

well...i made my own wizdog..so i only use the tray (under tray for crate for puppies)..it depends on how big your dog is....and yes...when he is used to stepping the plastic mat to pee/poo...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

cindy_pebbles

Nov 27, 2006, 9:56 PM

Post #15 of 60 (2932 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

That means you put the tray on the floor, the newspaper on top of it and later the plastic bathroom tiles on it, is it? A bit confused here...hehe...Blush
How do you train your puppy to do it on top of the plastic bathroom tiles then? Grab your puppy when he/she is in the midst of pee/poo-ing? Usually by the time I grab my Benji to the designated place, he lost the urge to pee/poo already. Crazy
Oh, one more thing, lets say if we were to visit other ppl's house, we will have to bring along the home-made "doggy toilet" as well right? If not, he will be poo/pee-ing everywhere right? Frown Lotsa questions to ask you...
PS: if possible could you post a picture for me to view how you did it? And how long it takes for your puppy to get this?Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 27, 2006, 10:59 PM

Post #16 of 60 (2931 views)
Shortcut

hi,

yes..you are right....npp on the tray and plastic bathroom tiles on it to cover it...

well....the same thing as i trained my other dog to pee/poo in toilet....meaning each time you see your dog sniffing around or getting uneasy (meaning wants to do business), quickly call him and ask him to pee/poo on the tiles...i will snap a pic and post it here tonite...

yeah...if u grab benji, he will definitely lose his urge and you would have to wait d...so the best thing is, confined him to the area when you think it is about time for him to do business.

err..so far i never bring the home made toilet out la..inconvenient lo like dat...usually hor, for my girls...once i reach fren's house, i will bring them to the toilet d...and wait till they do their business. after dat hor only let them roam around lo....then they will go back to the same area to do their business again.

of course, accidents are bound to happen lo if you bring puppy out....if older dog, i think they will just tahan...but so far hor...most of the time, my girls will tahan until they got home only pee...Wink

anyway, it took me only a few days for my shih tzu to learn to use the 'wizdog'...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

cindy_pebbles

Nov 28, 2006, 9:54 PM

Post #17 of 60 (2921 views)
Shortcut

Hi again! Ok, will refer to see your picture and see how it goes from there. Sometimes Benji will go to the toilet by himself to pee/poo but sometimes he will do it anywhere he likes. I sometimes wonder if he just happens to do it in the toilet or does he know that he has to do it in the toilet. But I realise these days is that when call him into the toilet, he will make a few turn, sniffing here and there and do his business. Unlike the last time where he just sit on the floor looking at me. Hehehe... Laugh Still, he will not do it on the npp.
Will try out the homemade "wizdog" asap...Wink Will update you on the outcome....
Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 28, 2006, 10:30 PM

Post #18 of 60 (2920 views)
Shortcut

hi,

sorry....forgot to snap a pic of the tray for you...was busy last nite....anyway, i have set a reminder. so will send the pic to you tonite yaWink

i think it's a good start. at least now he understands what u want him to do. use the same word each time u ask him to pee...like 'wee wee, do your business, pee etc'...so that in future, he will know what u want him to do...

yeah..sometimes i think they are just lazy..heheehe...coz both my girls know their pee/poo place d...but then sometimes when they wake up, they are just lazy to go to the place (if it's a bit far for them)...and will choose to pee/poo anywhere which is convenient for them...so what i did is, when i know it's about time for them to pee, i will quickly ask them 'go wee wee'...and sometimes, walk with them to the place lo...then they will do it properly

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 29, 2006, 3:55 AM

Post #19 of 60 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Hi Cindy...

All I can say is, take it easy...Your pup's only two months old. You can only start training a pup at 3mth above. Also give him time to stop biting your hands. It's a bad habit I know & it hurts alot, but that's how they get to know you especially if you're it's new parent. This is also a natural thing for pups to do, so give it a while to calm down. And deffinately you can't train a dog to stay at that age, coz it's brain hasn't matured enuf so it doesn't get what you're saying...Also, puppies tend to be very active & are constantly moving all over the place. So, just give him time that's all I can say. Let him get to know you better 1st. It's good that you start saying 'No' to him coz it teaches him the 'No' word whenever it does sumthing wrong but deffinately, he'll not listen. Don't wack him for not responding to you. If you want him to not bite you, just grab hold of it, gently I mean, and hold it's muzzle softly. Let it calm down. Once it has, don't praise it or anything like that coz it think that it's okay to start again. Just let him go...Try this & I hope it works. Be patient, remember...

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 29, 2006, 4:08 PM

Post #20 of 60 (2908 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i've got the pic with me now but seems like i cant attached it here...don know why la..anyone have any idea?

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

cindy_pebbles

Nov 29, 2006, 7:32 PM

Post #21 of 60 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Hehe...can't help you here as I am very very NEW with puppy.com. Blush
Yesterday while I was busy cooking, Benji went to the toilet twice, once to poo and once to pee! yeah! So proud of him! Hehehe...too bad I didn't catch him doing it, if not I will praise him like crazy... Tongue But later at night, he peed in the living room...sigh... Can't complaint still...at least he got 2 out of 3 right yesterday night...hehehe...
Frown

cindy_pebbles

Nov 29, 2006, 7:42 PM

Post #22 of 60 (2900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Can't train puppy as he keeps biting my hands! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your advice. Yeah, still waiting for him to grow out of the habit of biting me. Hopefully he will stop it after getting his permanent teeth. Tongue It really hurts a lot though especially when he bit my thighs... he enjoys biting and "grabbing" our feet when we walk...so we have to be very careful when we walk to prevent us from tripping over him...
Unimpressed
Brought him out to play at my garden yesterday and he was sooo curious about the grass and sand. Haha... so cute!

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 29, 2006, 8:30 PM

Post #23 of 60 (2896 views)
Shortcut

hi,

dats a good start....yeah.....they are bound to have accidents now and then...just b patient and consistent...

as for the pic....i really don know why ler..last time i can attach...but now cant...hmm

but if u plan to teach him to use toilet, then no need the tray d....Wink

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

cindy_pebbles

Nov 30, 2006, 7:48 PM

Post #24 of 60 (2885 views)
Shortcut

But i would still prefer to do it on a tray so that it's cleaner and easier to wash. Where can I get a tray that big? I have one underneath the crate but i need it there coz when i am away, he needs to do his biz in the crate...
Can i just buy a big tray without buying the crate?
Oh ya, when u leave for work, you leave your darlings free to roam at home or you leave them in their crate? I wanna leave Benji with free access in the house after he is house-trained and stop the chewing during at night and in the day when im working....but i guess i have to wait when he is older la...hehe...Wink

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 30, 2006, 8:22 PM

Post #25 of 60 (2883 views)
Shortcut

hi,

actually i use the tray under the crate...coz i don crate my girls now....but i did saw ppl buying just the tray at petshop. perhaps you could try n ask from petshop if they do sell the tray only.

when i go to work, i will use a playpen to block my room door. they will have full access in my room and are able to see outside the room. The playpen is just to prevent them from going out from the room. but normally, in the afternoon, after my mom has finished all her housework, she will let them out and they will have access to my whole house.

coz now they are housetrained and know the house rules, so i don really locked them d...but when they are younger, i use the 6x playpen. I prefer playpen than crate because they could have plenty of space to sleep as well as to do their business.

since benji now is still so young, i guess you might hv to crate him or put him in a playpen until he is housetrained...just wait for a few months lo...i let my girls to hv full access to my room when they are about 4-5 mths old...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my