First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 16, 2006, 8:40 AM

Post #1 of 48 (2452 views)
Shortcut
NEED helpsssssssssss Can't Post

hi,

I just adopt a 9 month old male cocker today.Is it really bad if i keep giving him treats so he get along with me and my bf??? he is ok with me like always follow me around but a bit scare my bf . so have to use treats all the time....

another problem is me at times have class until nite . I was told by the owner that he very scare lonely and will cry . is it ok for him to be at home alone?

Some response will be helpful ,.thx

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 16, 2006, 5:19 PM

Post #2 of 48 (2447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dysentery] NEED helpsssssssssss [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

since you have just gotten your new companion, i guess he is afraid of the new environment. thus, everything is a stranger to him....don worry...time will build trust...soon he will stick to you and your bf like UHU Wink

i guess he is suffering from separation anxiety. you can comfort him before you leave for class and can leave something for him e.g your old clothings, music on etc...so that he won feel lonely. since you have class till late at nite, make sure you have someone to feed him as well. if he cries, you must be very 'STONE HEART'...ignore him when he cries and praise him when he is quiet..you can practice this when you are at home at nite...by crating him and leaving him for a few minutes...see how he take it....start with a very short session and gradually increase the time of you leaving him alone...guess you have to practice this before you really leave him alone for so many hours...

actually it is ok for him to be home alone...just a matter of him getting used to your routine....like my girl, i leave her when i go to work too even when she is as young as 2 mths old...well..although she is used to my routine, but even until now (7 mths old d) she will still show the sad face each time i am preparing myself to go to work...

but of course, you must make sure that he is being fed properly lo...

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 17, 2006, 12:46 AM

Post #3 of 48 (2435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] NEED helpsssssssssss [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

Today he is much better . he really stick to me like glue.follow where ever i go. and he really greedy . whoever gave him treats he wont bark. OMG... and stick to them as well.

I send him for full grooming today. at first he was fierce at my friends(the groomer) but once i left , and came back later, my friends told me he is so so obedient and quiet . now they say i am the culprit that he is fierce to stranger and bark when i am around. Is there anyway to prevent him barking ????

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 17, 2006, 12:55 AM

Post #4 of 48 (2434 views)
Shortcut

hehehehe.....teach him not to bark ah...this i learn from a member here...

each time your dog barks, close his mouth with your hand and say 'shhhhh'....each time he barks, do the same..soon he will know that by saying 'shhh' you are asking him to keep quiet...

or another way is to make some noise (e.g shake a can with peebles inside etc)..this sudden noise will startle him and he will be quite....

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 17, 2006, 1:41 AM

Post #5 of 48 (2432 views)
Shortcut

o.O wow thx for the two method. sudden so many things need to teach him

and toilet train him. will it be too heavy for him? is 9th month old cocker still consider a baby?

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 17, 2006, 7:20 PM

Post #6 of 48 (2420 views)
Shortcut

hehehe...yeah..many things to teach...don worry...learning is a life long process...9 months is not too young to learn.....this is actually the best time to teach them...my puppies are only 7 mths n i'm teaching them too WinkWink

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 17, 2006, 7:36 PM

Post #7 of 48 (2419 views)
Shortcut

as i nvr have younger pups before , i felt he is a fast learner. i taught him how to take his toys and put at his mattress i gave him. he is able to do that every time i say "take" within 10 to 20 minutes. Besides that , i also taught him to stay at the matt in my room and not other place. as i dont want him go to my bed..

Just toilet training .. i need help... my friends told me wait in the morning for him to poo.. i waited this morning and he nvr poo. zzzzzzzzzzzzz then he pee on my mags when i went to toilet .

And now i left the house to go uni, he is crying there and barking when i left. i worried he will disturb my neighbour. ANd he really afraid of staying in the cage. he will only be quiet on the moment he sees me or in my room. How can i put him in the cage by controlling his crying and barking. sigh :P help pls

(This post was edited by dysentery on Nov 17, 2006, 7:48 PM)

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 17, 2006, 7:52 PM

Post #8 of 48 (2416 views)
Shortcut

hi,

for the cage, u hv to teach him when u r at home...each time you are at home, you can put his fav toy or food inside the cage. let him walk in and out freely in the cage. never use the cage as a punishment for him...
when he walk in the cage by himself, reward him.
soon he will feel that the cage is a nice and safe place for him and he will love to b there...and after he likes the cage, then u can try to close the cage door for a while...increase the duration gradually...

as for poo, as your dog is 9 mths old now, sometimes he won poo so soon after the meal. if u hv to go to uni, u might not b able to teach him in the morning...but u can always monitor him at nite when u r home...
it's kinda hard to teach when u r not at home most of the time...but don worry...still trainable..just perhaps will take a longer time...

like me, i took almost a mth to have my puppy toilet train because i have to work..be patient and consistent..

ENJOY!!! SlySly

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 18, 2006, 2:23 AM

Post #9 of 48 (2406 views)
Shortcut

thx for all ur advise. yeah i did try the method u mention just now. but he is only 3 days with me leh.sigh. once i am free , i let him out . My bf also teach me to put his water and food bowl inside the cage. at the same time open the cage where he can roam freely. he is better de .today he nvr bark so much when i bz cleaning house or out his sight . mayb like wat u said he is still getting used to the environment.

regarding the pee and poo. yeah i just found hidden place he pee i didnt know. OMG . zzzzzzz just now at 1pm i feed him food like baby . He refuse to eat the food i gave.But once i feed him by hand then he eat like so so hungry. sigh =.= straight finish eat , he poo reaching the bathroom which is like 5 step away . zzzzzzzz i very scare cannot train him lo.. as i want let him roam around my house .

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 18, 2006, 2:44 AM

Post #10 of 48 (2402 views)
Shortcut

heheeh..don worry... dats a good progress d....when i first brought sasha hoe, i have exactly the same thought n feeling like you...tot will never b able to train her...

even if it's 5 steps away, it's good...praise him as well...and the nearer he gets the spot rite, the bigger reward you should give him...

like you said, oni 3 days ma...so cannot expect too much...don worry, time will prove everythg...just b patient and continue training him yaFrownFrownFrown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 18, 2006, 2:45 AM

Post #11 of 48 (2400 views)
Shortcut

hey, btw, i nr seen your dog pic..can upload to share to all the members here? luv to see cute facesSly

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Nov 18, 2006, 3:07 AM

Post #12 of 48 (2399 views)
Shortcut

have patience in training

dont close his mouth when he barks, he's 9 mths for crying out loud Unimpressed if he's a little dominant he can strip ur finger's skin out. use distractions instead never give treat till he calms down or stop barking...good luck

cheers

ezekiel 25:17

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 18, 2006, 4:23 AM

Post #13 of 48 (2394 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] NEED helpsssssssssss [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
have patience in training

dont close his mouth when he barks, he's 9 mths for crying out loud Unimpressed if he's a little dominant he can strip ur finger's skin out. use distractions instead never give treat till he calms down or stop barking...good luck

cheers

hmmm... when he see me he stop barking... when he see stranger he wont really bark unless is a guy. if girl he wont bark ...

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 18, 2006, 4:34 AM

Post #14 of 48 (2393 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
heheeh..don worry... dats a good progress d....when i first brought sasha hoe, i have exactly the same thought n feeling like you...tot will never b able to train her...

even if it's 5 steps away, it's good...praise him as well...and the nearer he gets the spot rite, the bigger reward you should give him...

like you said, oni 3 days ma...so cannot expect too much...don worry, time will prove everythg...just b patient and continue training him ya

huhu.. sudden today he forget wat is "take". mayb because the matt is not downstair .. was training with him downstair.. earlier i taught him with the matt there.

1 thing funny bout him he is not scare of thunderstorm all those stuff but scare cant see me...

my bf said i am spoiling him by feeding him with hand. is it true?BUt if i dont feed .. he dont want eat.. zzzzzzzzzz

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Nov 18, 2006, 8:19 PM

Post #15 of 48 (2387 views)
Shortcut

he's right, dont spoil him by feeding with hand, use his special bowl instead after his food wash & keep his bowl. the next he sees u bringing his special bowl he'l know uve got some special food for him

like i said have patience in training, leaving him & hearing him whining or crying is something uve gotta handle, its jz psychology, each time he whines or bark, u come to the rescue (each time he dont see u, he'l whine, bark to make sure to come to his rescue) therefore leave him alone for a short period of time (say 2 mins) then u go to him when he's not barking, whining, crying. give a treat. increase the lead time as time goes by (make sure u only go to him when he stop barking, whining, crying)

good luck

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 18, 2006, 10:22 PM

Post #16 of 48 (2383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] NEED helpsssssssssss [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
he's right, dont spoil him by feeding with hand, use his special bowl instead after his food wash & keep his bowl. the next he sees u bringing his special bowl he'l know uve got some special food for him

like i said have patience in training, leaving him & hearing him whining or crying is something uve gotta handle, its jz psychology, each time he whines or bark, u come to the rescue (each time he dont see u, he'l whine, bark to make sure to come to his rescue) therefore leave him alone for a short period of time (say 2 mins) then u go to him when he's not barking, whining, crying. give a treat. increase the lead time as time goes by (make sure u only go to him when he stop barking, whining, crying)

good luck

i will try the bowl method.tonite. normally he cry for few minutes then quiet ... he does that evry 30 minutes for few times then he go sleep lo .... in afternoon he nvr cries... sigh..

emm may i ask is it cocker always sleep ?

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 19, 2006, 6:35 PM

Post #17 of 48 (2378 views)
Shortcut

hi,

not that cocker always sleep....but i think all dogs sleep a lot esp in the afternoon...

as your dog is 9 mths old, not really adult yet..so will definitely need a lot of sleep as well...don worry...as long as they are eating and playing well....it doesn;t really matter if you feel that they sleep a lot...Wink

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 20, 2006, 12:28 AM

Post #18 of 48 (2377 views)
Shortcut

huhu .... yesterday i gave him late dinner . NOt torturing la .. he eat himself though.ANd this morning i brought him out to walk walk and then he eat and drink lo... but now he learnt from other dog .. bark at nite so i go see him... zzzzzzzzzzzzz i need control that le

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 20, 2006, 6:54 PM

Post #19 of 48 (2372 views)
Shortcut

heheehe..dats good news...keep it up

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 21, 2006, 4:28 PM

Post #20 of 48 (2364 views)
Shortcut

yeah i am happy he actually have better appetite. any ideas how to take care his fur? feel like botak him le...everytime i bring him out his long ear dragging all the way.. see de so MadMad

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 21, 2006, 10:56 PM

Post #21 of 48 (2351 views)
Shortcut

fur ah??? what brand of kibbles are you feeding him? i hrd that eukanuba lamb & rice and blackwood are good for fur la...but i think this one really depends on individual dog...

you can try the supplement that is good for fur n skin...the brand is 'IN'

don't botak him ler...very ugly lo if botak...cut it short lo...

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

(This post was edited by jessicaohh on Nov 21, 2006, 10:57 PM)

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 24, 2006, 7:18 AM

Post #22 of 48 (2329 views)
Shortcut

i am feeding him the brand call canidae or something forget de. It is recommended by friends saying that is one of the top brand in US 2006. Currently i got him these japanese cookies . so ex 1 small packet RM 14 sob sob. it saids to kick off body odour.. waiting for new changes

u saw mah the photo on my icon. is him lo... his head botak but ears with hairs lol... so funny and cute also.

eh he still cries at nite and sometimes bark (modelling behavior from other dogs) ... watever methods i try he still cries.. dunno wat to do leh.......... zzzzzzzzzzz

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 24, 2006, 5:27 PM

Post #23 of 48 (2325 views)
Shortcut

hi,

ohhh...i think i knew which cookies you meant....tried that before...well....mayb bcoz i gave sasha only small piece at a time, so i don really think it works la...but anyway, i felt that when they are puppies, their body odour is stronger..but once grow up, ok d....

at nite still cry ah? u let him sleep in crate outside from ur room? hmmm....well...so far i had a fren who put her toy poodle in a crate outside the house during bedtime....only first nite cry..subsequently ok d...

as for me, when sasha was younger, i put her in the crate beside my bed..so she never cries.....

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

dysentery
Dog Kichi

Nov 24, 2006, 7:06 PM

Post #24 of 48 (2320 views)
Shortcut

the amount of pieces of the cookies hor depends on the body weight also... my boy only 6kg ... but i think a bit heavier de since i adopted him de.. always eat and eat lol... cos bf teach him tricks

my bf dont want him sleep in the room cos his nose is sensitive to the fur.. sigh FrownFrown

so have to put downstair in the cage lo.... then this morning make me angry by peeing directly beside my washing machine zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. then i said to him " no kai kai" he sad de.. then kena send to cage.. lol then he cry like dunno wat omg... should i get the muzzles?

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Nov 24, 2006, 7:40 PM

Post #25 of 48 (2318 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

my bf dont want him sleep in the room cos his nose is sensitive to the fur.. sigh FrownFrown then cant do anything lo...Unsure

so have to put downstair in the cage lo.... then this morning make me angry by peeing directly beside my washing machine zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. dunno whether it applies on cocker not but sometimes zeus jz wanna challenge me (a trait all jrt has) purposely try to pee at places he's not suppose to, if im not around he wont do one cuz i wont see ma Unsure then i said to him " no kai kai" he sad de.. then kena send to cage.. only punish if u catch him red-handed lol then he cry like dunno wat omg... should i get the muzzles? i dont believe in muzzles u can try em if u like

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my