Home: Mixed Breed: Mixed Breed and Mongrels:
PARIA aka MONGREL????!!

latexfreak
Novice

Nov 11, 2006, 7:31 AM

Post #1 of 18 (3755 views)
Shortcut
PARIA aka MONGREL????!! Can't Post

Hello, I'm a little confuse about something hereFrown I always hear people calling Paria dogs.

1. What are Paria??
2. Are Paria = Mongrel?? Is it the same thing, is it just another word for it.
3. Are Paria easy to train compare to pure breed?
4. What are the advantages and disadvantage of taking care of Paria?

Hope I don't offend you guys out there with questions like this, I'm really interested in knowing. Thanks Frown

She's more real to me than anything I've ever known

"Even though you've been raised as a human being you're not one of them. They can be a great people, Kal-El. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all - their capacity for good - I have sent them you... my only son." - Jor-El

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2006, 3:42 AM

Post #2 of 18 (3749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [latexfreak] PARIA aka MONGREL????!! [In reply to] Can't Post

1/2. paria is a lay-man term on describing a mongrel or a stray dog (ie. mixed breed or unknown breed)...v educated ppl dun use d word paria..

3. mongrel had unknown ancestor, so their behaviour can varies among diff dog...but usually mongrel as active dogs n they had better natural instinct n survival skill....(probably being inherited from their parents)Smile

as for trainability.....pure breed are being determine from their genetic heritage. a golden retriver n collie are meant to be very trainable, while mastiff n pitbull might turn up to be a handful for an amateur. diff breed had diff level of trainability. so u can't actually judge trainability by juz refering to a pure breed compare to a mongrel.

4. mongrel are juz like any pure breed out there. they need to same basic requirement. but they are not prone to genetic problem like pure breed dogs. for example, great dane n german shepherd are prone to hip/joint problem, while shih tzu are prone to ear infection, maltese tends to had tear stain, spaniel might get ear infection if their ears were not clean periodical. so i would say, majority of mongrel are easier to take care n less vet bills.

disadvantage would be their unpredictable temperament n size. u cannot judge whether the mongrel puppy will turn up to be an active dog or a couch potato. if a person hope to own a couch dog tat will accompany her to watch d tv most of the time, an active dog might not suit her. but d owner might juz force d dog to tolerate.Wink

mongrel is a versatile dog, i would said. they can fit in almost circumstances. one drawback would be, u can't sneak them up d condominium.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

latexfreak
Novice

Nov 12, 2006, 6:50 AM

Post #3 of 18 (3744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] PARIA aka MONGREL????!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown Thank you so much for the answers amanda85, overcome most of the confusion already Frown I would just like to comfirm some stuff though.

1. Though Mongrels are not as trainable like the pure breed, can they still be train? e.g sit, stay another words, will they be able to obey the owner like what the other breed could do? (provided the owner does his homework-train Tongue)

2. Let say I want to train the mongrel, can I use the same method that they use to train the pure breed or are there another method to teach Mongrels?

3. No offence just out of curiousity, are Mongrels being considered the lower class type compared to the others because being so rojak, meaning the value goes down? I would like to emphasise that I'm curious no offence to Mongrel Lovers~

ThanksFrown

"Even though you've been raised as a human being you're not one of them. They can be a great people, Kal-El. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all - their capacity for good - I have sent them you... my only son." - Jor-El

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Nov 12, 2006, 6:56 PM

Post #4 of 18 (3740 views)
Shortcut

There are only three differences between a mongrel and a pure-bred dog:

1 Generally no, or less in-breeding in mongrels so they have no tendency to hereditary conditions

2 The temperament and behavioural patterns of mongrels are unpredictable, whilst you can more or less predict them for pure-bred dogs - thus, if you want a dog that is highly trainable, you might want to get a breed that is known for this, like a poodle, a border collie or a sheltie. With mongrels, you can't be sure of their temperament. But that does not preclude the fact that you might get a mongrel that is highly trainable, every bit as good as a border collie.

3 Your bank account won't feel a thing when you get a mongrel.

latexfreak
Novice

Nov 12, 2006, 9:50 PM

Post #5 of 18 (3738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] PARIA aka MONGREL????!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown Hi PangurBan, hope you doing fine over there Frown! Thanks a lot for shedding some light on this matter Tongue. Just so you know, I'm a first timer and like any other 1st timer, I was very eager in getting myself a nice breed but it's not advisable to get a nice breed now especially for first timer like me. So I'm really into Mongrels now LOL~Frown Then when I'm better maybe I can get a better breed in the futureFrown Nowadays we see a lot of Mongrels, especially the little puppy Mongrels being abandon and it's only right that I do my part, by adopting them Laugh HeHe~ What you mention earlier about not feeling a pinch in the bank account Frown I have to agree on that. More or less I got to know about the Mongrels now thanks to you guys Smile

If there are any more ideas and tips or any general info that I should know please do share with me, I'm sure such information know no limit and I would like to learn more before I adopt one. ThanksFrown

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 13, 2006, 2:50 AM

Post #6 of 18 (3734 views)
Shortcut

The name Pariah dogs got history wan....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pariah_dog

www.dogbreedinfo.com/pariahdog.htm

They are a breed of their own.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

latexfreak
Novice

Nov 13, 2006, 4:13 AM

Post #7 of 18 (3732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] PARIA aka MONGREL????!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Thanks for the link, I've check the website and read some important points stated there. I would like to quote a few

Generally speaking, these dogs are hyper dogs and in most cases cannot be pulled off the streets and trained to obey humans.

Regarding the above statement, is it really true that we cannot train Mongrels to obey the owner, for example simple command like sit, stay etc?? What if we adopt them since they're little puppies, well they be any different?

Hope you guys can shed some light on this Frown

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 13, 2006, 7:17 AM

Post #8 of 18 (3729 views)
Shortcut

That only applies to full grown dogs. Say you come across a stray... you walk near it and it runs away... they fear man. Most stray adult dogs are hard to train coz they have never had human interaction before.

If you take a puppy, then yes, it is trainable.

Our fourfathers didn't just take adult wolves as hunting partners.. they took the wolf cubs and train them to be loyal and hunt.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

latexfreak
Novice

Nov 13, 2006, 9:23 AM

Post #9 of 18 (3727 views)
Shortcut

Oh, it's good news for me LOL~ FrownFrownFrown Thank you so much

latexfreak
Novice

Nov 13, 2006, 9:37 AM

Post #10 of 18 (3726 views)
Shortcut

I found out about dogs having double layer coat of fur, do Mongrels have them too?? What about bathing, how many times do you guys bath your dogs? I read somewhere in this forum saying that if we bath the dogs too often this actually cause them to loose their fur oil coat (or was it oild fur coat FrownFrown) which is bad Frown. How to deal with this?

latexfreak
Novice

Nov 13, 2006, 9:46 AM

Post #11 of 18 (3725 views)
Shortcut

Frown amanda85

I realise that you're actually raising a Mongrel buddy, well I would like to know, is it easy to train your Mongrel? (Tongue sorry don't know your buddy's name) What command can he obey, I just want to know so I'll know what to expect

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 13, 2006, 6:37 PM

Post #12 of 18 (3716 views)
Shortcut

most Mongrels tend to have short coats... no double layer(that's for long coats). Depends actually, some have short coats and some long....

A mongrel is quite a clean dog. They won't smell if you feed the correct kinda food, shedding is little(if compare to labrador). Hardy dogs that rarely fall sick too coz their immune system is stronger.

Just bath the dog twice a month... I do that too to my dogs.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 13, 2006, 11:41 PM

Post #13 of 18 (3706 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
amanda85

I realise that you're actually raising a Mongrel buddy, well I would like to know, is it easy to train your Mongrel? (Tongue sorry don't know your buddy's name) What command can he obey, I just want to know so I'll know what to expect

as i said even pure breed trainability level is different...some pure breed are easy to train but some pure breed is even more stubborn than a mongrel...is hard to compare, unless u give me a specific breed....for example, golden retriever, then i can confirm to u tat, a golden is easier to train than a mongrel....but if u wan to compare it with a Boxer, i would said my mongrel is easier to train than a Boxer, coz i staty with my grandpa's Boxer too....

if u interested to know wat command that my Pacco can obey, take a look at my blog from the link below.....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

latexfreak
Novice

Nov 14, 2006, 7:22 AM

Post #14 of 18 (3700 views)
Shortcut

Oh I see, all this while I thought that all kinds of dogs including the Mongrels have double layer coat. Are there any side effects if I bath them often, maybe causing them to have skin problems or skin irritation? So food is the main factor that causes the dog odour. Talking about food, is it recommended to give them human food aka leftovers or those Pedigree food or both Frown???

latexfreak
Novice

Nov 14, 2006, 7:37 AM

Post #15 of 18 (3699 views)
Shortcut

I just checked your blog. It's so incredible to actually see a Mongrel, in this case Pacco doing tricks and being such an obidient dog. I'm so jealous LOL~ Would like to be able to train a dog to be so obidient as well. I didn't really expect that a Mongrel can do tricks and join such events?? Suddenly feel so knowlegeble already HaHa Thanks Frown

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 15, 2006, 9:12 AM

Post #16 of 18 (3686 views)
Shortcut

Yes, bathing too often strips the fur of their natural oils.... it can cause dry skin.... become itchy and cause irritation. So this is why people advice bath the most is once a week. If you wanna bath few times a week, do not use shampoo, only bath the dog with pure water. Water won't get rid of all the oils on the skin.

Do not feed pedigree and leftovers... kinda bad for dogs...

Do feed a dog food called Nutro. It is way way way better. Your dog will have less health problems on better qaulity dogfood. Pedigree, Alpo, Trusty, leftovers can make a dog smelly and shit a lot.

immy

Jan 18, 2007, 3:14 AM

Post #17 of 18 (3595 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

just to share with u...all dogs are the same..whether mongrel or pedigree..they can be as well trained as the pedigree. the only differents is the trainer..thers no such thing as bad dog, or silly dog. it depends on how we train them. my dog's a mongrel and he knows all the command, such as as sit, stand, wait, come,stay, heel, down.. they can all be train using the same method. i send mine to MKA training, it works for pedigree, it works for mongrel

some says that mongrel smells, come on, if you leave any human being in the street for a few months, we too will smell...it is a very unfair statement.

answer to your question, is Mongrels considered the lower class compared to the others because being so rojak? well...would you consider a human who is mixed blood lower class? that should answer your question Wink

a conclusion, all mongrels, or should i say all animals are living beings, all are all the same...want to be loved, and they can feel pain..just like us..no difference

nice to know u have interest on mongrel, get to know them, and you will understand them better..n im sure in time, u'll grow to love them..they'er fantastic!!!!!!!!!
immy

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Jan 26, 2007, 3:47 AM

Post #18 of 18 (3562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [immy] PARIA aka MONGREL????!! [In reply to] Can't Post

well said

ezekiel 25:17

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my