Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Puppy Hold Poo at home but Poo shamelessly outside

kaychia

Oct 18, 2006, 7:28 PM

Post #1 of 10 (959 views)
Shortcut
Puppy Hold Poo at home but Poo shamelessly outside Can't Post

Dear All,

I have this one problem with my puppy. We used to teach him to poo at the designated area at the porch and he will poo only when he feel like it. I heard that most of the time, puppy will poo about 30 mins after every meal. But my puppy never poo around this time.

For example: After his morning meal, he will hold his poo till the evening when we come home from work. We will then let him out to do his business. Most of the time, he will pee but poo is really a problem. He will poo at the right place when he does want to poo; but otherwise, he will hold. The funny thing is, everytime we bring him out for his evening walk, he will poo on the road??!!

Why is he holding his poo when we let him out to do his business? Is it his instinct to poo outside the house? But this is really embarrasing as I dun want him to poo everywhere we go. I want to teach him to poo only at that one designated area which is hs paper tray at the porch.

Also, why puppy can hold his poo for soo... long? Is it not uncomfortable. There are once recently that he hold his poo for 3 meals. Finally, he cannot tahan and have to let go but he only poo a bit. Why ar?
FrownFrown But if bring him out walk walk, then he will poo?

Any idea??Please help?

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 6, 2006, 8:40 PM

Post #2 of 10 (929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaychia] Puppy Hold Poo at home but Poo shamelessly outside [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi kaychia!

ALL dogs will naturally do their buissness outside the house especially on grass whether they are trained to do it in a certain area of the house or newspaper trained. Why? It's their instinct to do it on the grass.

Another thing is, do you tie him or does he sleep near the area where his toilet is? This I must tell you. Dogs that sleep near or tied up near that area, will not pee or poo there. Why? Because they are like us. If we sleep in that area, ofcourse we will not do it there...Dogs know cleanliness too you know? Hehehe! Both my dogs were first put in the cage to sleep at night & will always pee and poo in there. After a while, when they grew older, they hold it until the next morning when we bring them out. They will naturally learn it by themselves.

My Amber, will hold it no matter how late I bring her out which is not good coz can get constipated from holding it. She will only pee in the porch but not poo. But is still good that you teach your dog to do its buissness in a certain area when you really have no time to bring him out to toilet.

Do you walk with your dog on the road? If so, try not to. That's why he does it on the road coz he's restricted by the leash & can't go on the grass part. But if he's the type who does it on the road, walk on the grass area and don't allow him to go on the road to do it. It'll take minutes before he gets the idea...Try walking on it until he finishes peeing & pooing. Trust me, he will do on it! Also try and schedule yourself at what time to bring him out everyday. Usually twice. One, you wake up in the morning & ammediately bring him out or he'll do it in the house (If he's an indoor dog), coz cannot tahan already! Don't feed him 1st, only after he's his buissness. Then the other one preferably around 6pm or when you come back from work. Not too late!

After many weeks or months, he'll soon stop doing it in the porch. Maybe pee only lah coz you can't bring him out all the time right? Try this out everyday & see what happens...Don't worry so much! There's nothing wrong with him. It's just one of those things that dogs do. Frown

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Nov 6, 2006, 9:05 PM)

kaychia

Nov 6, 2006, 9:39 PM

Post #3 of 10 (921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Puppy Hold Poo at home but Poo shamelessly outside [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there Amber!Frown

Actually, my pup stays in the house. His cage is inside coz we worried of dognappers. Also, he is still puppy, maybe will get sick easily if put outside. So, his toilet is not near his sleep area.

Probably you are right o the road issue coz I normally will bring him walk on the road. Maybe I will try to train him to do it on the grass just like your suggestion ie Walk him at the grass area. Smile

I have another question is: My dog will poo twice when we bring him out to do his business. Have you incur this behaviour? Sometimes, when I let him out, he will first poo at the tray in the porch. Then after that, I will bring him out for his evening walk and still he will poo again. This poo twice per meal has been happening for a while and I find it very weird.

The embarrasing part is after I poo him at home, later when I bring him to friend's place, he will poo there again???!!Frown[conPiratePirate

Does this means that we feed him too much and his body does not retain the food and is being rejected? Should we reduce his food intake? I feed him about 300g daily.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 6, 2006, 10:49 PM

Post #4 of 10 (919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaychia] Puppy Hold Poo at home but Poo shamelessly outside [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey kaychia!

How old's your puppy? Puppies less than 6mth, you should feed three times a day at least a quarter cup of the standard 8oz cup per meal, add in some home cooked meat preferably chicken or any meat that your dog's not allergic with & boiled vege. Avoid red meat like beef, too high in cholestarol. Puppies need to eat alot as they still need to grow. They'll stop growing by 2 years-that's when they are fully adults.

By 7mth or somewhere between 6-8mth, you'll notice your dog leaving remainders or sometimes don't want to eat at all. That's when you start cutting down their meals to two per day. Same ammount. Then later when he turns 1 year old, one meal per day but a filling one.

Puppies go to toilet many times! Very annoying isn't it. One minute you just picked up his poo over there, and then the next minute, he did again over there. Hahaha! Pups poo at least 5 times a day, depends how much you feed them. It's a normal thing...A they grow older, you'll notice they poo less. Now my dogs poo twice a day.

It sounds like your pup's got alot of food in his tummy! My dogs poo twice. Just before breakfast & after breakfast around 6pm. My dogs are old now, so we don't feed them dinner anymore except something small to nibble lah...

Aiyoh, nothing to worry about your dog pooing many times & everywhere...I don't know what's the cause for your dog to poo at your friend's place coz I havn't seen him before and how is his behaviour at your' friend's place. It could be any reason-nervous, marking his territory or just had to poo lah! Maybe cannot tahan...Hehehe! How old is your dog now?

kaychia

Nov 6, 2006, 11:26 PM

Post #5 of 10 (916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Puppy Hold Poo at home but Poo shamelessly outside [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh..IC. So, it is natural for him to poo a few times after meals? Coz most ppl tell me that only once. My puppy is now 14 weeks old.

But then again, I was told that I can feed him twice a day coz I feed him once in the morning before I go for work and once after I come home from work. And he eats plenty. He seems to be very hungry and not enough to eat. I will split the 300g to 150g each meal. In between will be treats during training.

I think maybe because he eat a lot at one time and that is why he has lots of food to digest at one time and that is why he poo twice. Hahaha....TongueTongueI think that figures...Now he poo about 4 times a day even though we feed him twice a day.

Thanks so much for your guideline on the how old eat how many times. Coz I really need that also as I have no idea when to cut down his food. There are some ppl telling me that he is fat but on the other hand another ppl tell me that it is ok coz he is growing. So, I very worried also coz dun want him to be over weight.

I guess I am a very anxious and kan cheong mum. Hahaha....TongueTongue

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 7, 2006, 12:25 AM

Post #6 of 10 (914 views)
Shortcut

Oh, almost going to be 4 months ah...? Still very young. It's normal for them to poo many times after meals. Nothing to worry about. My Amber & Faith used to poo 4-5 times a day when they came here till 5mth. And then it gets lesser and lesser as they grow older.

Yes try splitting them to two meals if you prefer than three. For breakfast, try adding in some boiled chicken because there is where you get real protein & a little bit of vege so that he doesn't get constipated from dry food OR, some boiled chicken soup. That's it! And at night, just give plain dry food...

For puppies like yours, they can be a little chubby. It's okay but if you're the type who likes dogs to have shape like me then, you'll control its diet. But for now, let him eat as much as he can-don't overdo though!!!!

So, hope this info helps you alot kaychia. Oh what's your dog's name by the way? Mine's Amber-Mae.

kaychia

Nov 7, 2006, 12:39 AM

Post #7 of 10 (912 views)
Shortcut

His name is Caesar. I definitely want to keep him slim. Dun want him to have the big tummy swinging everytime he walks. Eiks...Tongue

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 7, 2006, 12:53 AM

Post #8 of 10 (910 views)
Shortcut

Oh Caesar like the Dog Whisperer Caesar Millan? hehe, my Amber's got flabs altho she's slim. She has lost alot of weight this past few months! Got sexy shape, cheh...!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 7, 2006, 8:09 PM

Post #9 of 10 (906 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi there Amber!

Actually, my pup stays in the house. His cage is inside coz we worried of dognappers. Also, he is still puppy, maybe will get sick easily if put outside. So, his toilet is not near his sleep area.

Probably you are right o the road issue coz I normally will bring him walk on the road. Maybe I will try to train him to do it on the grass just like your suggestion ie Walk him at the grass area. Smile

I have another question is: My dog will poo twice when we bring him out to do his business. Have you incur this behaviour? Sometimes, when I let him out, he will first poo at the tray in the porch. Then after that, I will bring him out for his evening walk and still he will poo again. This poo twice per meal has been happening for a while and I find it very weird.

The embarrasing part is after I poo him at home, later when I bring him to friend's place, he will poo there again???!![conPiratePirate

Does this means that we feed him too much and his body does not retain the food and is being rejected? Should we reduce his food intake? I feed him about 300g daily.

hmmm.....my adult dog poo twice a day @ home...

but when i bring her out for some activity...she'll poo up to 4 times in 1 afternoon.....so prob, muscle constraction can help to stimulate more poo outcome...Laugh

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 15, 2006, 11:03 PM

Post #10 of 10 (884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Puppy Hold Poo at home but Poo shamelessly outside [In reply to] Can't Post

hahahahaha...yeah..i think u r rite....action stimulate poo outcomeLaugh

everytime i bring sasha out for a walk, she will definitely poo...at least once...eventhough she has just pooed at home..heheehehhe

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my