My JRT Joey

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sheila
Novice

Mar 30, 2002, 7:35 AM

Post #1 of 33 (5348 views)
Shortcut
My JRT Joey Can't Post

Just register to join your forum and I'm glad to see that there are so many dog owners around. I am a proud owner of a Jack Russell Terrier, 4 mths old . I've had her for the past 2 mths and she has been a joy to me. Even right now as i'm writing she is sleeping on my lap. She's hiper most of the time and that's typical of a JRT. I would like to hear from anyone who has this breed of dog and what life with a JRT is like in their homes.

At 3 mths old Joey has been trained to use the spare toilet for her pee and poo business. She sleeps in the same room with me and in the middle of the night wakes up to go to her own toilet. In the day time she is alone in the house while i'm away at work but this is not a problem to me as i leave her with lots of chew toys and balls to play with. so far so good. nothing destroyed yet...... One thing for sure is that this dog certainly has a mind of her own. I hope to hear more about Jack Russels but I know that there are not many around because they do look a little like mongrels.. till then

ginl
ALPHA

Mar 30, 2002, 8:54 AM

Post #2 of 33 (5345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheila] My JRT Joey [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh YAY...another JRT owner Smile

Welcome to the forum Sheila...I hv a...what do u know a 4 mth old JRT as well....but mine is a male and I've had him for a mth or so.....hyper is the word to describe them, there's no other way LOL....well you are lucky, I can't leave mine unsupervise for that long....even though he has his own chew toys, he gets bored with them fairly fast and starts to search for what seems to be more interesting to put in his mouth at that moment. Which state are u frm Sheila? Got a pic of Joey? Wud love to see her Smile

Dar
Dog Kichi

Mar 30, 2002, 6:23 PM

Post #3 of 33 (5339 views)
Shortcut

hello sheila welcome,

Hope u will have fun in this loving , happy dog familyWink.

dar

(This post was edited by Dar on Mar 30, 2002, 6:28 PM)

tangyp
Novice

Apr 3, 2002, 11:37 PM

Post #4 of 33 (5313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] My JRT Joey [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello there...

I happen to be Sheila's other better half! Wink Sorry dear!

Anyway, enclosed a pic of Joey which was taken about 1 1/2 months ago. Hope I do this right since this is the first time I'm using this to post.

What about a pic of your JRT?
Attachments: Joey01-2.JPG (48.9 KB)

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 3, 2002, 11:49 PM

Post #5 of 33 (5309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tangyp] My JRT Joey [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello...other half can mean boyfriend? hubby? twin sister? twin brother? siamese twin? Tongue

Very cute! Smile She is a broken coat? May i know which breeder you got Joey frm? You can see my JRT's pic in my intro...he is smooth coated....sheds a lot Crazy

tangyp
Novice

Apr 4, 2002, 1:00 AM

Post #6 of 33 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Biscuit looks really cute too and I'm trying hard to imagine what the owner looks like too...floppy ears and all. Wink

I've been checking www.terrier.com. It's the official site of the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America. The forum is fantastic with other JRT owners offering help/advice on all matters pertaining to JRTs from health, food, training, medical, etc. Check it out!

Joey sheds a lot too, so I know what you mean. I get hair all over my clothes when she jumps on me as I'm getting ready to go to work. I was wondering why I got all the weird stares from people before I realised.

Anyway, good luck with Biscuit!

Derrickok
Novice

Apr 4, 2002, 1:07 AM

Post #7 of 33 (5300 views)
Shortcut

When people said 1/2 is HALF lahUnimpressed<@^@>
Broken coat? Rain coat, Over coat, Under coat; I have heard. But this coat, can you please tolong, educate us on this subject
Dying for enlightenment!Crazy

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 4, 2002, 1:09 AM

Post #8 of 33 (5300 views)
Shortcut

Yes I've been to that site before, along with countless other JRT sites LOL....if you hv the time you may also want to check out yahoo's group forum for JRT nutrition :

login.yahoo.com/config/login?.intl=us&.src=ygrp&.done= groups.yahoo.com%2Fgroup%2FJRTNutrition%2Fmessages

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 4, 2002, 1:25 AM

Post #9 of 33 (5293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] My JRT Joey [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooohhh....half izzit? ooooohhhhhhh..........

JRTs hv 3 types of coat....smooth, broken and harsh....imagine this....smooth coat is like when u just shaved early in the morning (face shd be really smooth)....broken coat is like when u haven't shaved in 2 days and harsh coat is like when u haven't shaved for a week....enlighting enough? Sly

All coats shd be hard and dense and not silky, wooly or curly....smooth coat sheds the most Unsure

I see Joey as if he hasn't shaved in a few days so was wondering if he is broken coated Cool

sheila
Novice

Apr 4, 2002, 1:58 AM

Post #10 of 33 (5288 views)
Shortcut

You're right. My Joey is Broken coat. And it makes her look scruffy as well having her fur long and short. She's a pirate with a round spot on her back and another brown patch lower down that stops just inch down thetail. Her tail has been docked as well. What sort of food do you give your JRT. Mine is very picky and has tried Science diet, Purina Pro Plan, Alpo and back to S Diet. She don't seem to like her food and has developed skin allergies. I've been told Eukunuba makes her poof very smelly. Visited the vet about it and he gave me a sample pack of Royal Canine, she refused to eat any or go near it. The only thing she likes are her treats.. well well well it is just like thinking of what milk powder to give your first born...

Here you get a better view of joey
Attachments: joey2.jpg (32.9 KB)

Derrickok
Novice

Apr 4, 2002, 2:00 AM

Post #11 of 33 (5287 views)
Shortcut

Tendjewberrymud <*> kichi kuchi.
My 18th century reference book did not tell me of the coat.
Why use shaving as an example? What if I am a shim? then forever I shall have a smooth coat.
enlighting enough? (spelling mistake oh)!
Me think its her puppy coat and she is no more than 7 weeks old at time of being photographed.
'wooly' (another one oh, missing an l eh)
Lecturers should always check their texts before handing out to students!

tangyp
Novice

Apr 4, 2002, 2:09 AM

Post #12 of 33 (5286 views)
Shortcut

Good one, ginl. Good way to explain on the different coat types that the JRT has.

I had the pleasure of playing with a dalmation puppy past chinese new year and he had the silkiest coat I've ever laid my hands on. Don't mind me being so ulu lah...after all, my past experience with doggies have all been the pariah kind.Blush

My Joey is a she, BTW Smile and you're right, she's got a rough coat, although I was a little unsure in the beginning. I just thought she needed a haircut badly.

Anyway, I'm sure you will agree that it's a learning experience for us JRT owners since this breed is not all that common in Malaysia. But definitely no regrets in going the way of the JRT. But for other potential JRT owners, I would say...do your research on the breed first before you decide you want a JRT. Most people do not know what they are getting their hands into.

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 4, 2002, 3:49 AM

Post #13 of 33 (5283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] My JRT Joey [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my god! U've solved the mystery! Now i know why my teacher always failed me in my speling....was that one 'l' or 2....can never get those single double letters thingy Crazy

A puppy may be smooth coated at a tender age but as he grows older his coat may break out into broken coat....but if he is a broken coat as a puppy then no matter how much he tries to shave he will never get rid of those bristles Unsure

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 4, 2002, 3:59 AM

Post #14 of 33 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Before I got him he was on Eukanuba and your vet was right...Eukanuba makes the poo very very smelly oh....and here i always thought dogs on kibble diet has smelly poo....did not know it was Eukanuba Unsure

I was and still am feeding him Eukanuba but now only in the morning coz he refused to eat kibbles weeks ago...i hv to soak his kibble with milk in the morning to get him to eat....other times i feed barf and some veggies....visit the nutrition section of the forum...may give u an idea on how the ppl feed their doggies here

sheila
Novice

Apr 5, 2002, 11:23 PM

Post #15 of 33 (5268 views)
Shortcut

SmileHai Ginl, At how old did you start him on BARF and what sort of BARF do you give. Are they 100% raw? I did mention about adding BARF for Joey maybe once or twice a week but my other half says BARF are meant for big dogs. How true is it? Rgds

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 5, 2002, 11:42 PM

Post #16 of 33 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sheila,

If you don't mind can you give me your email addy? Or you can email me instead and I can give u several good BARF websites to refer to.

I started with him at 3.5 mths old and no BARF is not only meant for big dogs. If you go to the the Nutrition forum you will find some readings on this subject. Alternately, you can visit the link I provided on the Yahoo group on JRT nutrition...there they stress on feeding BARF

toffee
Novice

May 21, 2002, 2:16 AM

Post #17 of 33 (5235 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sheila

I think we met at the Vet's last week...Joey went in for spaying right? My beagle was at the same Vet being treated for jaundice..

Cheryl

sheila
Novice

May 21, 2002, 7:21 PM

Post #18 of 33 (5223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [toffee] My JRT Joey [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Cheryl

Good to hear from you. How is your Beagle? Is she still at the vet or back home already? Hope she is getting better.Smile My Joey was very quite after the spaying. She was the perfect dog for 2 whole days, peace on earth for me I thought but she is now back to her normal, naughty self. Her wound is healing well and she looks funny being partly bald. Hopefully she gets back her fur when she start obedience schoold next month. Get well soon, toffee...Regards

tangyp
Novice

May 22, 2002, 5:35 PM

Post #19 of 33 (5206 views)
Shortcut

Hey Cheryl,

I was with Sheila when we went to pick up Joey last week.

Hope Toffee's recovering from his/her(?) visit at the vets. Joey's still a little under the weather but recovering fast. I guess it was quite a traumatic experience for a 6 month old pup and after collecting her from the vet, we weren't too sure we had done the right thing. She looked really pathetic and sad. Unsure

Definitely, not the same Joey we've been used to for the past 4 months. It's a relief to see her "coming back" to us. Now I know how a parent feels. But as they all say "it's all for her own good". Angelic

toffee
Novice

May 22, 2002, 8:44 PM

Post #20 of 33 (5202 views)
Shortcut

Such a small world. Toffee was much better on Saturday so Dr Yeoh insisted I take him home as he was very noisy! He's still quite tired at time but back to his monkey ways now. Woke me up at 5:30am this morning wanting to go out. I still have to be very careful about his diet as I think he has a weak liver.

Have you signed Joey up for the July MKA Obedience classes? Hopefully Toffee will be able to join that one. and maybe Chrissy too (chrissy is the golden retriever that was at the vet's too)

Cheryl :)

tangyp
Novice

May 22, 2002, 9:23 PM

Post #21 of 33 (5198 views)
Shortcut

Actually, Joey will be starting her classes in June. Not too sure about the exact dates though.

Good to know that Toffee is feeling much better. Weak liver...Hmm...got to keep him away from the booze then. Wink

toffee
Novice

May 22, 2002, 9:32 PM

Post #22 of 33 (5197 views)
Shortcut

Hmm..when I called MKA in March, they said the next class would start in July.....

The monkey managed to get his paw swollen so it's back to Dr Yeoh's in the afternoon afterwards..*sigh* and I'm just recovering from the last bill! Unsure

tangyp
Novice

May 22, 2002, 10:22 PM

Post #23 of 33 (5195 views)
Shortcut

Was there at MKA last month and they said the next class is June. Hmm...better confirm with them.

I know what you mean about the bills! Crazy

cdmoo
ALPHA

May 23, 2002, 12:29 AM

Post #24 of 33 (5190 views)
Shortcut

Hi,
I'm just curious.. Is Dr. Yeoh good? How does he charge?
Where is his clinic?

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

toffee
Novice

May 23, 2002, 8:46 PM

Post #25 of 33 (5132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] My JRT Joey [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, many people have said that he's expensive but he is one of the few Vets with own X-ray machine, etc. The 'ward' is also very clean. Go to the Taman Megah branch, Dr Yeoh is there himself. The other branches are staffed by younger vets. I feel that he and his staff are also very passionate about the animals. For me, before I took Toffee in I knew he needed an X-ray and quick and calling some VEts, they told me that I would have to have the x-ray done somewhere else then bring in the results to them...etc, etc

My friend said that to find a vet, choose one that is passionate about animals, not one that couldn't get in to Medical School or Dentist School and choose Vetinary Science as the last resort to have a Dr title!

It's also important to have a Vet that is relatively close to where you are, and one who lives near the clinic. No point having a vet with a practice in KL but lives in Klang! MAkes it more difficult for emergency cases.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my