My shih tzu bark when nobody around

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 2, 2006, 8:31 PM

Post #1 of 32 (3885 views)
Shortcut
My shih tzu bark when nobody around Can't Post

Well.. Juz got my shih tzu for 1 day.. At first he bark when i try to let him sleep inside the cage.. He give me a sad look on his face.. So i decided to let him out and sleep under my bed instead.. This seems to stop him from barking.. However, everytime i try to leave the room, he will start barking.. Izit the environment still too new for him? Or he doesn't wanna be alone? Anyone can help me on this? How to stop him from barking when nobody at home.. The most i leave my house is around 4 hours

-------------------------------------------------
Visit Bobby At www.dogster.com/?395955 ^^

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Oct 3, 2006, 7:22 PM

Post #2 of 32 (3875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wba84] My shih tzu bark when nobody around [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

i think it is very understandable for any pup/dog to bark on the first day at home...of course, not that every dog/pup will bark.....but i think it's just normal reaction...

yup...u might b right in a way by saying that the new environment might b the cause..but don let your dog has his way each time he barks....by doing dat, you are actually letting him know that he can get wat he wants through barking....this will cause you more problems in future..

when u leave your room n he barks, don immediately go back to your room just for him to stop barking...wait till he stops barking...once he stops, immediately go back to him...repeat this a few times n he will soon realise that you will only come back when he stops barking...

when i got by shih tzu, she barks at the slightest noise during the night on her first nite...well..i do agree....it's very irritating and noisy. i just say a very firm 'No' and ignore her....well....now..she sleeps soundly the whole night thru....

you have to let your shih tzu knows that you are not pleased with his barking by saying 'NO' at a firm voice and ignore him totally...once he stops, immediately go back to him and praise him...

how old is your shih tzu?

keep him occupied when you leave him alone. get him toys to chew, kong or anything..so dat he has things to do when he is alone...

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 3, 2006, 9:27 PM

Post #3 of 32 (3874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] My shih tzu bark when nobody around [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooooh... Coz i live with a few friends.. The barking noise irritate them... I scare that if he continue to bark, he will disturb the neighbourhood.. I used to sleep in a room with my friend.. Now i shifted downstair and sleep alone coz my puppy is disturbing my frenz sleeping hour.. Everytime i leave him alone, he will bark.. Even when i wanna take bath also he will bark.. Naughty boy.. Btw.. He is 11 weeks old.. Still young i think... Thx for u advice.. I will try to pratice it..

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 5, 2006, 11:50 PM

Post #4 of 32 (3860 views)
Shortcut

no dogs like 2 b ignore or left alone....so ignore him when he misbehave....it juz need a week or 2 b4 he learn that he'll get nothing frm barking...

all u need 2 do now is not to pamper him or talk 2 him when his barking...

instead...considered ignoring or give him a stern look.....some light punishmient...like squirting water on his face will make him learn faster...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 6, 2006, 10:30 AM

Post #5 of 32 (3855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] My shih tzu bark when nobody around [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm.. Thx for ur help.. I will try to pratice that.. Btw.. ur dog r obedient.. Saw ur blog.. ^^

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 6, 2006, 8:24 PM

Post #6 of 32 (3845 views)
Shortcut

thx for visiting....but cannot consider as obedient...coz alwiz like to runaway to play wit other dogs when i let her offleash....

n alwiz like to play wit puppies....Crazy

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 14, 2006, 3:10 AM

Post #7 of 32 (3815 views)
Shortcut

He still bark when we left him alone.. >"< Even when i left him for less than 1 minute >"<

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 14, 2006, 3:19 AM

Post #8 of 32 (3814 views)
Shortcut

Oh yeah.. Wanna ask how come sometimes bobby behave aggressively towards me.. I mean for example after i put it on the chair a while i sweep the floor, he will behave a bit not to say aggressive but a bit of defensive... He tends to jump a bit and start barking at me when i try to calm him down.. Any idea what make him to behave like this? Not alwiz behave like this, but sometimes he do... Especially when he is playing with his toys...

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 15, 2006, 3:23 AM

Post #9 of 32 (3809 views)
Shortcut

I tried to punish him when he act so.. I caged him and left him alone there for around 5 ~ 10 mins.. He seems to be okay and behave better today.. Am i doing the right thingz? @@

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 16, 2006, 5:59 PM

Post #10 of 32 (3803 views)
Shortcut

my dog act tat way to when i play toys wit her...if i dun gv it to her, she'll bark, jump and try to snatch from me...

if u dun appreciate that behaviour n would like ur dog to behave more politely...u can do some kind punishment...

but caging up ur dog doesn't seem like a good idea....becoz, cage is a place for ur dog to sleep n u would love her to enjoy being in there....

if u tends to cage her as a punishment, whenever u put him in there, he would thought "wat i did wrong this time".....

consider to tie her at a corner for awhile instead....or isolate him inside d toilet,.....

Pacco de Mongrel

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 18, 2006, 3:55 PM

Post #11 of 32 (3788 views)
Shortcut

His cage is his toilet.. Wink I not sure if he afraid to be alone or what, but he still bark when nobody around.. I mean sometimes i need to go class and he will keep barking when nobody at home.. When i came back, i can still hear him barking.. Continous non stop barking for 4 hours? Din even drink water or eat his food.. Crazy And he act a bit aggressive after that.. But after one hour, he back to normal.. Any idea how to make him more dependent on himself? I mean, he can expect ppl to be around every single second...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 20, 2006, 6:40 PM

Post #12 of 32 (3773 views)
Shortcut

i doesn't meant to treat d toilet as a cage....is juz tat a real cage shld not b a punishment place....u shld look 4 an alternative...

as for d dependent behaviour...it shld b develop.....he'll juz get used 2 it....tat's wat every new owner will go thru tis...

try to keep him occupies when being left alone...for example, providing a kong toy....or get him exercise n tired off....then when ur not around, he'll juz sleep....

Pacco de Mongrel

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Oct 20, 2006, 7:44 PM

Post #13 of 32 (3770 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like separation anxiety. You need to give him the confidence that it's alright to be left alone for a while. Dogs are pack animals and they need to be with the pack. So you've got to show him that it's alright to be away from the pack for a while. Not easy, and you need to do it slowly.

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 23, 2006, 8:22 AM

Post #14 of 32 (3758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] My shih tzu bark when nobody around [In reply to] Can't Post

Having Raya break.. so now staying at my hometown.. WOndering y he will onli bark when he c me.. He will bark at a veli high pitch voice when i disappear from his sight.. Whereas if my family members disappear from his sight, he juz stay calm there.. >"< Any idea y this happening?

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Oct 23, 2006, 3:50 PM

Post #15 of 32 (3755 views)
Shortcut

He only recognises you as part of his pack. The rest of your family don't count.

shaweena
Novice

Oct 26, 2006, 1:34 PM

Post #16 of 32 (3736 views)
Shortcut

how much did u buy the shih tzu and where do we need to buy for a reasonable price?

In Reply To

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 27, 2006, 11:37 PM

Post #17 of 32 (3731 views)
Shortcut

How can i stop him from barking whenever i disappear from his view? Any idea how to stop him? He is not barking.. But more to screaming.. When there is stranger, his tone will be different.. Sound more like barking.. But whenever i disappear from his view.. He will start screaming at a very high pitch voice.. If he never see me then it is okay.. but if he see me then he will start jumping and wagging his tail.. then as soon as i went off he will scream like there is no tomorrow Frown I also become Frown dy..

wba84
Dog Kichi

Oct 31, 2006, 5:05 PM

Post #18 of 32 (3720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shaweena] My shih tzu bark when nobody around [In reply to] Can't Post

er.. i got my shih tzu for 500 but no MKA cert geh..
depends on ur budget lor...
u can get a lotz of info at Before Getting a Dog section..
i'm sure it will helps it a lotz as it did helps me a lotz last time.. ^^

shaweena
Novice

Oct 31, 2006, 8:05 PM

Post #19 of 32 (3717 views)
Shortcut

hi where did u buy that ,...actually i have one d ....need another one puppy
may be a ppocle or shih tzu.budget rm 300....if got breeder tell me k

wba84
Dog Kichi

Nov 11, 2006, 9:46 AM

Post #20 of 32 (3700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shaweena] My shih tzu bark when nobody around [In reply to] Can't Post

i bought it from one of the member here...
wah.. RM300 ah? i think not that easy to get woh.. moreover it is a puppy >"<
good luck to u anyway ^^

mykiko

Nov 26, 2006, 12:23 AM

Post #21 of 32 (3681 views)
Shortcut

Wah can get shi tzu for only rm500 ar! I bought mine at RM1k, so expensive... sigh!!! nevermind lah she is still my cute kiko...

My kiko like to bark while waiting for her kibbles and snack. And she also love to bark at mop... When i first brought her back, she will bark when i lock her in the cage now no more barking oredi coz i let her free.

wba84
Dog Kichi

Nov 26, 2006, 1:43 AM

Post #22 of 32 (3680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mykiko] My shih tzu bark when nobody around [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha.. Ur one sure got MKA cert rite.. 1k woh.. From champion line?
Money doesn't matter as long as ur Kiko melts ur heart ^^

Mine juz bark when he see strangers and when i missing from his view.. Till now still like that.. Everytime i go away from him, he will bark non stop..
Frown

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Nov 26, 2006, 4:58 PM

Post #23 of 32 (3676 views)
Shortcut

You'd better do something about the barking now or this will become ingrained behaviour and you will have a nightmare on your hands. You need to teach her that it's ok to be left on her own and help her deal with the separation anxiety. Ignore her when she barks, and reward her when she keeps quiet.

Try this exercise: leave her alone somewhere and let her bark herself silly, but ignore her. The moment she stops barking, go to her and reward her. Keep at this until she associates keeping quiet with being rewarded.

Thayalan
Novice

Dec 1, 2006, 6:24 PM

Post #24 of 32 (3662 views)
Shortcut

Hi all,

My Tobby also like to bark always but only at the night time..u guys know what i did..after i give him food, i will put in open cage and put one stick off (we pray on or chines use for praying the stick long on) thats is one. i will just put beside the cage before i sleep...and my tobby also ZZZZZZZZZZ....heeehehehe hows my idea ...

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Dec 1, 2006, 9:19 PM

Post #25 of 32 (3656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Thayalan] My shih tzu bark when nobody around [In reply to] Can't Post

after people think you pray pray dog

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my