Ups and Downs of Agility Trial

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 8, 2006, 9:46 PM

Post #1 of 39 (28973 views)
Shortcut
Ups and Downs of Agility Trial Can't Post

A very entertaining video of FCI Agility Championship. Hope u like it.

www.dropshots.com/videolink.php?userid=174232&cdate=20060905&ctime=221148&showVideo=1

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Sep 8, 2006, 9:52 PM)

milooh

Sep 12, 2006, 10:33 AM

Post #2 of 39 (28941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Ups and Downs of Agility Trial [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, thanks for posting the video. I moved to the States in June 1998 and have been involved in competitive agility for 4.5 years. I've gone to the USDAA World Cynosport and NADAC Championships twice and numerous local agility shows in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and California. After watching the video, it's more like all the downs of agility. That's the worst nightmare for an agility handler especially at that level.

I have met some of the top handlers in the States and been around competitive handlers a lot. Believe me, the handlers do not think it's funny when things like that happen even at local agility trials.

Having said that, I have nothing against the video being shown or produced though, people can make and post videos at public forums or on the internet within reasons. It is entertaining in a way but it is very painful to watch for some people. Just my humble opinion.Smile
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

(This post was edited by milooh on Sep 12, 2006, 10:35 AM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 12, 2006, 6:30 PM

Post #3 of 39 (28917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] Ups and Downs of Agility Trial [In reply to] Can't Post

initially d video r showing d down....but towards d end, d video r showing d emotion n expression of those who did d clear run...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Oct 16, 2006, 2:04 AM

Post #4 of 39 (28789 views)
Shortcut

Amanda85...

Oh my my my MY !

some may find the vid interesting.. but personally i pity the dogs... i thnk the heart will get attacks !

maybe afterthe event, all dogs sleep for 24 hours

My beloved Molly looks like MooMooo

My beloved Snoopy makes 1 of the funniest beagle in the world

My beloved Lassie is the teh-est sheltie although he is a male !

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

| Husky Zai : 24 Jan 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my Jewelleries Online

Photography Business Website coming up soon ^^

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 16, 2006, 6:11 PM

Post #5 of 39 (28779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SupaMolly] Ups and Downs of Agility Trial [In reply to] Can't Post

eh....y arh??

my dog alwiz speed tat why...juz tat she did it without any 'direction'....

Pacco de Mongrel

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Oct 17, 2006, 3:34 AM

Post #6 of 39 (28773 views)
Shortcut

Amanda85...

well, i find them pity after seeing them run like mad.. gave me a feeling that they are like running from JB to PERLIS.. wahaa !

i also think their owners are supa exausted..

haha.. pacco.. hyper.. but er.. without direction/... maybe u would wanna work on her being "directionful"?

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 17, 2006, 5:26 PM

Post #7 of 39 (28767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SupaMolly] Ups and Downs of Agility Trial [In reply to] Can't Post

i think everydog love 2 do diff stuff....

but 2 some dogs, opportunity to run seems like a big reward....

it juz like when i go jogging wit pacco.....whenever she keeps going n tugging, while i'm d one lagging behind...i knew that she juz simply luv it...

about her prob of unfocus....probably her symphathetic nervous system was being overstimulated....Laugh

Pacco de Mongrel

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Oct 18, 2006, 12:37 AM

Post #8 of 39 (28760 views)
Shortcut

Amanda85..

Hmmm... u just gave me an insight into wat dogs think.. hehe

im wondering how Molly will think when i take her out into open field.. at home she ade dash like a rocket..

hahaha ! then ah.. give her some mild vasodilator prescription then.. hehe ! by then maybe u will be able to be as fast as her.. while u.. take stronger dose of vasoconstrictor ... kekeke !

rayter
Dog Kichi

Mar 7, 2008, 7:18 PM

Post #9 of 39 (28116 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for posting the video. I like it!!!

Frown
"A dog is a heart beat, at my feet."
Pet Articles | Bark Collars | Bark Control Collar
Training Collar | Pet Supplies | Dog Supply

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 8, 2008, 7:52 AM

Post #10 of 39 (28105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rayter] Ups and Downs of Agility Trial [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, agility is fun...

if u like the sport, u can consider joining with your dog

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Mar 8, 2008, 7:59 AM)

Scotch

May 2, 2008, 8:13 PM

Post #11 of 39 (20464 views)
Shortcut

Is there a certain criteria the dog has to meet to join agility? Because I'm thinking about enrolling Scotch for agility. I did one of the homemade jumps and he jumped once over it, but later refused to. So I'll just try again another day.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 2, 2008, 9:05 PM

Post #12 of 39 (20458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scotch] Ups and Downs of Agility Trial [In reply to] Can't Post

there's no criteria... as long as both owner and dog enjoys it.

we started off jumping at home too....

to make your dog go over the hurdle, try using his favourite food to motivate him.

agility is one of the best sports to help your dog boost up his confidence.

Pacco de Mongrel

Scotch

May 7, 2008, 5:16 PM

Post #13 of 39 (19669 views)
Shortcut

Yesterday, I put a long pole under the cushions of two chairs. He completely refused to jump over it. I tried to use food to lure him but he didn't even want to take it.And the height of it was very short. It barely came up to my knees. Then,instead of jumping over the pole, he jumped on the chair, went to the side of the chair,jumped down and ran to the kitchen. And the chair was much higher than the pole. i think it's because the pole is unfamiliar to him. Everything takes time. He was scared of his toy at first, and now, he's biting it like crazy. I'll have him jumping over cushions next time. Pls SMS me where the agility training ground will be this Sunday. I would love to come.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 7, 2008, 5:20 PM

Post #14 of 39 (19666 views)
Shortcut

maybe u shld start off by placing the pole on the ground first... let him get comfortable with it and then slowly increase the height, 1 inch at a time...

Pacco de Mongrel

Scotch

May 7, 2008, 5:23 PM

Post #15 of 39 (19662 views)
Shortcut

I'll try it today and see what happens.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 7, 2008, 5:29 PM

Post #16 of 39 (19655 views)
Shortcut

try feeding his dinner during the training time. hand feed him everytime he cross the pole.

Pacco de Mongrel

Scotch

May 8, 2008, 5:56 PM

Post #17 of 39 (19319 views)
Shortcut

I tried putting the pole on the ground. At first, he didn't even want to walk over it. Then I use food to coax him. Then he was ok. He was walking over it by himself. Then I raised it a bit. And again, he refused. So I started playing with him and he jumped twice over it and didn't want to jump any more. He can't get the idea to jump by himself.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 8, 2008, 6:08 PM

Post #18 of 39 (19314 views)
Shortcut

if he show refusal when u raise the bar, this indicate that u are progressing too fast.

put the pole down again and practise on it first, give a command like 'over'. if he can walk across it with you luring the food. then the next day, hide the food in your palm instead. after you notice that he is getting reliable and he understand what exactly is the exercise (sometimes this might take days). then u can move on to increase the height.

Pacco de Mongrel

Scotch

May 8, 2008, 6:15 PM

Post #19 of 39 (19309 views)
Shortcut

Now, he just walks over the pole by himself. He seems ok with it. Should I tell him 'over' every time he does that? As for raising the pole, I knew I was taking it too far. Smile. I'll raise it in either a few days or weeks time.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 8, 2008, 6:29 PM

Post #20 of 39 (19300 views)
Shortcut

u can use any words that u wish, 'over' or 'jump'.

adding a command will make it easier for him to understand. he will learn 'over' means cross the pole. so even u raise the pole, when he hear 'over', he knows he must cross to get his reward.

Pacco de Mongrel

Scotch

May 8, 2008, 6:32 PM

Post #21 of 39 (19297 views)
Shortcut

I think I'll use 'jump'. I have a feeling he might respond to it better, as it's a one syllable word. I'll try it out today.

Scotch

May 12, 2008, 4:46 PM

Post #22 of 39 (18464 views)
Shortcut

Now he gets the idea that when I say jump, he has to jump over the pole to get the treat. Since he was ok with the pole on the ground , I decided to raise it to 26cm or 10 inches. At first, he didn't want to jump, but I kept on saying jump, I could see he wanted to jump but was unsure. He kept putting his paw on the pole. After a while of me saying jump, he finally jumped and I gave him a treat. I practised this for a day (about 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes in the evening) and the next day I raised it again. This time to a height of 41cm or 16 inches. And again, he really didn't want to jump. But I kept on encouraging him and after about 5 seconds of persuading, he finally jumped and I gave him a treat. We practised again and again and he jumped everytime, but only with food, though. I'm so proud of him. Smile I was wondering, should I raise the pole higher? Or just keep practising at this height?

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 12, 2008, 5:03 PM

Post #23 of 39 (18458 views)
Shortcut

sounds like scotch is progressing fast. but always make sure u increase the height after u are sure he is very confident with the lower one. btw, are u practising the jump with him on grass or soil ground?

16 inches is good enough for starters. after your dog knows what exactly he need to do when they sees a pole, they can jump almost any height in agility. the maximum height in agility is 26 inches. but if i know that my dog can jump 26 inches, i don't need to practise on 26 inch everytime. because prolong jumping on such height can be too stressful for our dogs.

so is good that u can perfect his training on 10 inch for a week, then raise it 16 inches...try to stand next to him while he jump, instead of u standing across the jump.

from then on, u can try adding another pole few metres apart and try on double jumping in a line.

Pacco de Mongrel

Scotch

May 12, 2008, 5:13 PM

Post #24 of 39 (18453 views)
Shortcut

I'm actually practising on carpet. Is that bad? Because the grass outside he only use to poop and pee. I'll try doing double jumping now, but at the same height.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 12, 2008, 6:14 PM

Post #25 of 39 (18448 views)
Shortcut

once a while on carpet is alright. but for long term is might be harmful. all the jumping and pouncing on hard surface can be detrimental to the dog's joints. grass will be preferable if u are training him frequently.

my dog also pee n poo in grass.. but i did all the training with her on the small place too.

Pacco de Mongrel

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my