First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

May 6, 2003, 9:50 PM

Post #1 of 48 (10936 views)
Shortcut
My doggy eating her poo-poo Can't Post

Hai,

I've read through all the article the members had posted about doggies eating their poo-poo.

Well my mushu (shih tzu) is eating her poo-poo as well. She's 3 months old. I've beat her twice after i found out that she eats her poo-poo but unfortunately, it still doesn't work at all. Some say is because of stress but others says is their diet.

MMMM........mmmm i'm abit confusing right now......why will they eat their own poo-poo where it smell so terrible? Actually, mushu is very good in her toilet training. She'll only pee & poo on the newspaper i prepared for her. But she eats it when i'm away! After i beat her twice, she seems to bark at the poo first before she goes near it. Then she'll smell it & play with it. Then she'll put everything into her mouth!!!!! Yucks!!!!!!!! But i didn't get the chance to see it but my housemates did.

Anyone out there which got other solutions how to prevent my mushu from her poo-poo. And any shih tzu owners out there, do you have problem with your shih tzu's skin? Because my shih tzu's ears' skin is having problem where the skin is flaking. I've bring her to the vet & they give antibiotic but no changes yet after one week. Which i assume is not working. So anyone out there which encounter this type of problem, do write in & share your experience with me

jacng
Enthusiast

May 7, 2003, 1:38 AM

Post #2 of 48 (10922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fuikiaw] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

hi fuikiaw...

i have a 3 1/2 mth old bichon shihtzu mix and he is also eating his poo poo whenever i dun clean up fast enough. same problem with ulah... when i am home and see him approaching his poo poo, i will say "no" sternly and he will go away and play elsewhere. when i am not homeleh... another diff storylah... everynite when i go home after work, dun see his poo poo on the newspaper or anywhere in the house only got his pee pee.. i also would appreciate any feedback on how to prevent my furkid eating his own poo poo...

and as for the skin problem, i guess my problem same as yours also lah.... and now better but still not 100% cured yet. His ears previously flaky and there is dandruff near his hind legs (very teruk) and all over the body(not so teruk). He is black in colour and therefore the dandruff can be seen easily. Someone recommended me Seledruff(dandruff shampoo) and by using it it helps the problem a bit. Then, I brought dewey to the vet. The vet told me that the fastest way to cure the skin problem is to shave him bald and he gave me some lotion to apply on the affected areas. He also told me that even if I do not shave then, fur on the affected areas will also drop off, which is true coz dewey was shedding a lot of hair. So no choice, have to shave himloh...He also gave me some anti itch medication. after shaving him, i found some fungus spots behind his front leg elbow. The vet say can use the same lotion but a lot also depends on my furkid's immunity system. Now it is already about a week after i visited the vet. The medication and lotion already finish. The dandruff and fungus problem is very much better but still not completely cure yet.... (can see clearly now cos the fur very short). I am still bathing him with Seledruff.

I also heard ppl telling me that to sun my dog and not keep him in the house 24 hours a day. So I do try to sun him whenever I can. I also give him Nutricoat everyday. Now I am monitoring his skin problem and see how first. If it worsens then I am bringing him to the vet again.

So if anybody out there have anymore suggestions, please let me know.

Jac....

ally_py

May 7, 2003, 6:07 AM

Post #3 of 48 (10919 views)
Shortcut

hi, fuikiaw.

i'm having a 4 1/2 months shih tzu. last time when she was 3 months old, she also like to eat her poo-poo. that started when i change her kibble. i dunno how to prevent it, just scolding her many many times. n now............. i remember last few weeks she's playing with her pooCrazy, i dunno y she done that, coz after that day, she never eat her poo anymore. and she know it is a poo, but just dunno y that morning she playing her poo. she was playing her poo beside my bed when i'm still sleeping, n suddently i just open my eye coz want to check out whether she got naughty or not, n i saw she's shaking her tail, n then jump here jump there, at that time i still blur blur, just wondering y she so excited, what she's playing? i woke up n saw, oh my .............. she's playing her poo! huh! poo also can excited with? until now i still dunno y she done that? but i know she was very naughty, i think she's sengaja one.

i guess it no need to get worry about. just check out everytime she poo, n then remind her again n again.

good luck!Wink

cdmoo
ALPHA

May 7, 2003, 6:19 AM

Post #4 of 48 (10918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ally_py] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,
If you dig deep enough in this forum by using the 'Search' function, you will find answers to your problem.
Vaguely, I recall that this behaviour is due to lack of certain enzime in his body. Typically, we will feed them 'Nutrigel' or equivalent to overcome this.
Smile
regards,

CD Moo

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

May 7, 2003, 6:16 PM

Post #5 of 48 (10912 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ally_py] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

well.....mushu also seems to be excited with her poo-poo. When she sees it, she's extremely happy & will run around it & tends to play with it. I wonder why????

I think the only think i need to do is to be patient. I think that when she's playing with other dogs, she won't bother about her poo-poo. But when she's alone inside her cage, she will. I think she's too bored. Maybe i'll buy more toys in order to make her attention towards her poo lesser.

Nice to know you.

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

May 7, 2003, 6:24 PM

Post #6 of 48 (10911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Nutrigel???? what it is anyway? Food or a tablet??? I am eager to know more. THanks

cdmoo
ALPHA

May 8, 2003, 1:57 AM

Post #7 of 48 (10904 views)
Shortcut

hi fuikiaw,

This is in gel form. Available in most pet shops.

Should be about RM18 - Rm20 per tube. U can put some on ur finger and get the dog to lick it, else u may put some in the food.

Pls. read the feeding instruction..

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

May 8, 2003, 5:31 PM

Post #8 of 48 (10896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

i assume that this gel is for mushu to stay away from her poo-poo? or for the skin that is flaking?

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 8, 2003, 6:06 PM

Post #9 of 48 (10894 views)
Shortcut

Hi fuikiaw, Smile

Nutrigel is actually a vitamin supplement. Good for dogs who don't have appetite, don't eat enough, are picky about their food..etc..cause it supplements the vitamins and minerals they probably lack or need more in their diet. However, even if your dog is healthy, it's completely ok to just give Nutrigel to them as a treat.

As for the flaking skin, you could try giving your dog Nutricoat. My dog is currently taking Nutricoat daily and it's a skin and fur conditioner. It's actually some form of oil. Some of the other forumers also give their dogs cod liver oil or primrose oil and all said that it helped the condition of their pet's skin and fur.

Hope this helps Smile

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

May 8, 2003, 6:11 PM

Post #10 of 48 (10894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the advice. i think i'll try on the primrose oil. i've try to ask the vet before but they never recommend me. what they gave is only antibiotic

jan
Enthusiast

May 10, 2003, 6:14 PM

Post #11 of 48 (10859 views)
Shortcut

hi there !!
I heard people saying that if the dog eating their own poo. it must have worms inside their stomache which lead them to eat their poo. I do came across that small pups tends to play or eat the poo when they are about 3 months old. I think they could not differentiate it yet. Anyway, like all the st owners here does is to give a stern "NO" to your furkid. Try to check with the vet on how to overcome the matter. Like most of you encountered, they will eat the poo whenever you all are not around. If not mistaken, when they became an adult dog. they will stop eating their poo. They know it, as most of you have stop them from doing so, they will listen slowly. When they are big enough they will know that poo is not for food for them unless you've been not saying no to them. they will continously doing so. Don't worry....they will know someday...anyway, eating poo may lead to unhealthy diet. i assume maybe this also can cause skin problems. It's good sometimes if you could bring them to the beach. I'm certain right now that it may reduce the skin problems. Salt water is good for reducing the skin problems. Have a try....see ya

^^Jan^^

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 11, 2003, 9:31 AM

Post #12 of 48 (10851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jan] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

hi jan, Smile

Will it be the same if we just use the regular table salt mixed with water? And won't the salt make them shed more fur?

(This post was edited by cshellz on May 11, 2003, 9:32 AM)

jan
Enthusiast

May 12, 2003, 5:48 PM

Post #13 of 48 (10839 views)
Shortcut

hi cshellz !!
Dogs shed fur when they eat something contain salt. If we only use for external, would it be the same fact that they are going to shed fur. Anyway, my furkid has been to the beach every week unless i'm working. and one thing that i spotted was it does not shed fur like last time and some more fleas problems are over. we hardly spotted any fleas since we brought him to the beach to swim. of course you won't want to dip your furkid so long in the salt water. i just let him dip for a while and then bring him for a walk. I went to the beach yesterday. and i spotted dog owners dip their furkids (pekingnese & golden) as well. i don't know they simply make them swim or for health purpose. but i really see no problem for my furkid. my furkid also have long fur right now. Anyway, this is just an idea for the dog owners to try out. hope that someone who know this way also can advice me. if it's really not good to the dogs, i will stop doing so. Anyway, this is one of the way to get rid the fleas than using the frontline spray, which can also dangerous to them sometimes.

^^Jan^^

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 13, 2003, 5:38 PM

Post #14 of 48 (10825 views)
Shortcut

hi jan Smile

U're lucky cause the beach is just so near! I live in PJ and sad to say my first dog Richie never even been to the beach! Frown I hope to take my naughty pup Sparkle to the beach sometime soon...if my bf doesn't mind a sandy, smelly & wet dog in his car!! kekeke Wink

Perhaps a little saltwater wouldn't hurt. I was just wondering if it's good for the skin will it be the same if we used table salt. Aiya...that's the best I can do here leh...unless I dip him into the longkang ShockedCrazyUnsure

Anyone else can comment? Smile

jan
Enthusiast

May 13, 2003, 6:25 PM

Post #15 of 48 (10824 views)
Shortcut

Hi cshellz
It's a good place to live in Penang, where we won't starve to death. There are plenty of food to choose and eat. Some more there are a lot of of beach we can choose also. My furkid never smell bad after going to the beach. Before you go back, you can always dip into the water again and then use the towel to wipe him and carry him to the car. After that, you can also put newspaper if you are afraid your furkid will wet the car. Of course you can't used table salt. This salt is for eating not meant for your furkid. I think the salt water on the beach is different from the one we had at home. Better don't try. I also not so sure also. I think you will have fun with your furkid at the beach. for my furkid, he is afraid to go to the beach anymore....hehehe...coz i always drag him into the water. he was so scared of water. you know what, when we arrive at beach, he will refuse to get down from the car. so we have to hand carry him to the beach. sometimes he could make new friends there also if there are some people bringing their furkids for a walk or swim. It;s really nice to have this kind of outing. you're having what type of furkid??

^^Jan^^

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 13, 2003, 6:40 PM

Post #16 of 48 (10820 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the advise! Maybe we'll make a trip down to Penang again, who knows? Wink Then can bring my pup to the beach there also. But as for now, I guess we'll have to make do with PD after he's had his 3 jabs.

I have a Jap Spitz puppy, 3 months plus now. He's called Sparkle. The picture of the dog under my username is Richie, my first dog, a Jap Spitz mixed Dachshund.

What about u? What kind of dogs do u keep? Smile

jan
Enthusiast

May 13, 2003, 7:26 PM

Post #17 of 48 (10816 views)
Shortcut

Hi cshellz,

When you come to penang, remember to tell me. I will bring my furkid to meet you here. I owned a male lhasa apso mixed maltese. look more like shih tzu. I brought him from kl to penang on a travel bus. kind of tired when bringing him back to penang. he is already more than 1 yr old. When i brought him back, he is already 11 months. he has his vacinnation last month. planning to get another dog, probably a female shih tzu or my collegue pups which is still unborn. it's a mix of shih tzu and spitz. at least my Cocoa, will have a companion too. Other than that, i have other pets like guinea pig, hamster, tortoises...i like to have pets in my home. so probably when i have my own house, i would turn my house into a zoo. right now, have to say that my bf house already turn like a mini zoo. my pets all are at his house right now. he need totake care of them when i'm not around. my family don't like me having pets at home. that's why i need to have my furkid at my bf house. anyway, when i go back to kl to isit my mum, maybe we can go out together...Wink

^^Jan^^

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 13, 2003, 7:50 PM

Post #18 of 48 (10813 views)
Shortcut

hi Jan,

Sure, we can meet up when u come back to KL or when we go to Penang. Smile

My house is also like a mini zoo....at one time we had a dog, two terrapins, some guppies and every morning 3 monkeys will be hanging around my house (at the backyard - they just sit on the fence and sun bathe I think!), a squirrel who comes everyday without fail and hangs out at the garden next to my front porch and not to mention 2 cats who often come into my house to eat my dog's food from his bowl!! CrazyTongue At one point of time I really wanted to get some dwarf hamsters as well but my mum didn't allow it cause she said it was too smelly to put at home TongueCrazy

Now we only have a dog and a bowl of guppies. The terrapins got too big so we released them at the Kelana Jaya lake. Actually we always do that whenever they grow too big for the bowl. I think we've released at least 8 terrapins to the lake already!! Smile

Heheh...your bf untung la....gets to put the dog in this house! I love animals...(except reptiles...cause I'm scared of them Unsure)

Hope to meet up with u soon!Smile

jan
Enthusiast

May 13, 2003, 10:12 PM

Post #19 of 48 (10804 views)
Shortcut

hi cshellz

actually i have guppies also which is also in my bf house. i have around 8 guppies but my bf forgot to change the water..that's why now only left 3 guppies. my bf put them inside the aquarium together with the goldfish. the guppies left two male and one female. i have hamsters but not the dwarf hamsters as they tend to bite. i have 4 last time but i give it all to my friend. now i just bought 9 hamsters, the normal quite big also...and all died and only left two who is still survive until now. one is male and the other is female...but the female one is older than the other...so have to wait until the male one mature so that they can have lots of babies. hehehe...anyway, it's fun to see them climb up and down like tarzan. they are really active at night. i used to put my hamsters and my guinea pig together. lately, i realized that my hamsters are always hungry and some more started to bite my guinea pig. my guinea pig is bigger than them. they started to bully my guinea pig...now i have to separate them. my guinea pig now have wounds all over the body...have to take time to heal the wounds. pity my guinea pig. Frown maybe i try to breed my guinea pig but failed as whenever i put a male and a female together, one of them will died. that's why i dare not bring another guinea pig home as i know they might died again. Anyway, maybe i will only keep dogs. as i am more familiar on how to take care dogs. maybe you can get hamsters but the dwarf hamsters. they are more smelly than the one i have now. they are not that smelly. you can keep in the house but you have to change the wood when they start to get smelly. anyway, hope you would have fun with the hamsters if your mom allow you to....Laugh

^^Jan^^

kiki
Novice

Feb 29, 2004, 12:53 PM

Post #20 of 48 (10504 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jan,

I just a bit curious Tongue Is that you pup (lhasa apso mixed maltese) consider pure breed, because your Cocoa is very very cuteWink. Can you please tell me?

Thanks a lot! Wink

jan
Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2004, 6:09 PM

Post #21 of 48 (10492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kiki] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

yup, that's my doggie Cocoa, lhasa apso mix maltese. I think he looks more like a shih tzu. As many people mistakes him as a pure breed shih tzu. I've already cut his fur short. So he is not looking like what you see in this pic. He likes to jump around and run around. With long fur, he always entangled his own fur.

You want to find lhasa apso ?? Hard to find in malaysia. Have but it's not that good looking. Maybe they need to cross breed it.

See ya

Jan

kiki
Novice

Mar 2, 2004, 9:54 AM

Post #22 of 48 (10482 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply!Wink Actually i'm quiet interested with maltese or west highland white terrier, but i'm still consider which is the most suitable me. So now i'm try to get more information for this two doggy.Tongue Frankly speaking your cocoa is really really adorable Cool

See Ya

Kiki

puppy_luver
Novice

Mar 21, 2004, 3:18 PM

Post #23 of 48 (10407 views)
Shortcut

hey, feed your dog Nutro puppy food. this makes them poo less, and discourages them from eating their poo.Crazy
Shelby

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 24, 2004, 8:55 PM

Post #24 of 48 (10388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kiki] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

a westie has a very endearing character that you will fall so hard in love with...they are intelligent, cute...think they are much larger than they are...but most of all...such a cute nose!

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2004, 3:29 AM

Post #25 of 48 (10356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [puppy_luver] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Hai,

Nutro? I think that is what my puppy is eating last time. Choice, Nutro. But right now i'm feeding her with proplan. Still eating her poo poo. Dunno why. She's 1 yrs plus now. Hopefully it'll gone when she grow older.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my