My doggy eating her poo-poo

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

puppy_luver
Novice

Mar 30, 2004, 4:41 AM

Post #26 of 48 (8217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fuikiaw] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

the question is, do u let her eat it? do u try 2 prevent it? Good luck anyways,Tongue
Shelby

ticky
Novice

Apr 2, 2004, 11:46 PM

Post #27 of 48 (8162 views)
Shortcut
Re: [puppy_luver] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

There is another school of thought that bitches are more likely to eat their own poo compared to the male dogs due to their natural instinct of keeping their nest clean especially when they have had puppies. After all, how else would a dog be expected to rid their sleeping quarters of their puppies' poo !!!

And hence the unever-ending argument goes on as to why a dog eats it's own poo.

milk970
Novice

May 10, 2004, 6:13 AM

Post #28 of 48 (7872 views)
Shortcut

hi....there, sometimes doggie eat their poo, have few reasons lah!!

1. like... wants u to pay attention on them, coz for them, ur reaction r caring

2. did u control the food?? if too much, whn poo poo out still the food smile, for them they dont know what is poo..., for them is food also.

clean up immedialy(not infrond of them) whn poo poo out, let her forget eating poo habit, sometimes later maybe 3 weeks to one mth or even 2 mths, depends.

regards

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

May 11, 2004, 5:01 AM

Post #29 of 48 (7856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [puppy_luver] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course i will not let her eat if i see her doing so. But sometimes when i'm not around, then no choice. I'm still trying hard on this case.

a_evie
Doggyman

May 12, 2004, 12:39 AM

Post #30 of 48 (7848 views)
Shortcut

have you tried pumpkin or pineapple?

i tried pumpkin...as part of her barf diet. did not work.

am trying pineapple now.

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

May 12, 2004, 5:32 AM

Post #31 of 48 (7847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Never tried all those human's secret. Only given her some additional supplement to help her digestion. According to the vet, they'll eat the poo-poo coz they can still smell food from there. So i tried the digestino supplement, but didn't really see the effect. Maybe in long terms only then can see.

a_evie
Doggyman

May 12, 2004, 8:28 PM

Post #32 of 48 (7842 views)
Shortcut

oh...what supplement are you using?

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

May 14, 2004, 5:31 AM

Post #33 of 48 (7831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, i tried Nutrigel and the ekanuba supplement which helps digestion. I think is called ekanuba maintenance.

a_evie
Doggyman

May 14, 2004, 8:44 PM

Post #34 of 48 (7821 views)
Shortcut

i am using nutrigel for one of my older strays that was very mal nourished when i first took him in.

May_raymond
Dog Kichi

Sep 29, 2004, 5:20 AM

Post #35 of 48 (7263 views)
Shortcut

my dog also eats his poo!!! huauauauaauauahahahhahahahaha

wendy_h

Sep 29, 2004, 8:12 PM

Post #36 of 48 (7254 views)
Shortcut

Hi fuikiaw,

My shih-tzu also likes eating her poo-poo. She's 3 1/2 yrs old now and has never outgrown eating her poo. I tried everything when she was young, vitamins, medicine, change of food, everything but it never works. I guess the only way is to watch her all the time and when she poos, clean it immediately after her. Pirate

FrownView Ginger's profile on DogsterFrown

FrownIt’s dog’s world out there!

T2
New User

Oct 26, 2004, 1:12 AM

Post #37 of 48 (6992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wendy_h] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been following these threads on "eating droppings"- wondering if there are any of you out there who have managed to resolve this behavior with their dogs.

Spoke to my GP about this - my vet was not too helpful with insights - and he told me that eating their waste is quite normal among foxes, wolves, wild dogs.

That being the case, has any one got practical solutions to an instinctive behavior?

Tks
T2

Nishi
Novice

Oct 26, 2004, 2:07 AM

Post #38 of 48 (6990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [T2] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I hv a 4-mth old pure breed Shih Tzu. I also encountered this problem before when she was 2-3 mth old. Now she doesn't do that anymore.

Checking with my vet, when they eat their poo, is because they can still smell some of the indigest food inside the poo, and they thought that are food. Normally for my furball, when I feed them dry food, I will soaked the kibbles into the water for 5-10 mins for easy digestion. After some time, she stop doing that anymore. I did realise that after I change her food, she also stop eating her poo.

If this problem continue, may be you can try to put some garlic into their food. So that their poo come out got the garlic smell. But of course, you hv to find way to let them eat the food with garlic.....

As for the skin problems and fleas. You can try to use the Apple Cidar Vinegar (ACV). Dilute 1 tsp of ACV and spray onto their skin. This will stop the itch. Everyday, you can add in 1 tsp of ACV into their food or water for them to consume. ACV will help their digestion, maintain their urine ph, coating and irritation of skin. I have check with my vet for all this.

Hope this will help you.

wendy_h

Oct 26, 2004, 4:03 AM

Post #39 of 48 (6985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nishi] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

I've tried, food with water, food with soup, food with garlic, food with pineapple....everything else failed. Maybe it's a Shih Tzu trait. The only thing that works is to potty train your doggie to go only at certain times and then watch and pick up to trash immediately. I suspect my doggie likes to be clean (even the vet says so), so if no one cleans up for her, she tries to clean it up herself!

Nishi
Novice

Oct 26, 2004, 4:24 AM

Post #40 of 48 (6984 views)
Shortcut

Just want to check a few things from you:

1. How old is yr furball?

2. How you feed her?

3. How many time you feed her?

4. What you feed her?

How is her skin problem, is it ok now?

wendy_h

Oct 26, 2004, 6:11 AM

Post #41 of 48 (6979 views)
Shortcut

1. How old is yr furball?
She's 3 1/2 yrs old already

2. How you feed her?
At the same place in her doggie bowl

3. How many time you feed her?
Twice a day

4. What you feed her?
Dry kibbles - Nutro. Last time was Science Diet.

How is her skin problem, is it ok now?
She doesn't have skin problem...I think it was someone else who asked Tongue

T2
New User

Oct 26, 2004, 7:29 AM

Post #42 of 48 (6972 views)
Shortcut

Tks for interesting tips.

What's really gross is that the mutt eats other dog's poo. I have 2 dogs, but Boots does not eat the poo of the other dog.

She will sniff out for other dogs' poo when I take her out to romp in the field and before I could stop her, it's quickly swallowed! I smacked her hard everytime I catch her doing it, but she is sneaky so when I am looking away, that's when she will be up to her naughty tricks.

What you said about undigested food remains in the droppings sounds valid.

I also suspect it could be a territorial instinct too - that by eating the poo, the scents of other dogs are eliminated while she would be able to leave her personal markings (pee & poo) all over the field.

Could be wrong - perhaps there are some psychologists (or know of some) in this forum who can give some insights perhaps?

T2

candy722
Novice

Nov 15, 2004, 10:30 AM

Post #43 of 48 (6393 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I heard that dogs eat their own poo because it taste like their dog.

They usually stop doing that if you have fed them enough or when they get older.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 15, 2004, 11:00 AM

Post #44 of 48 (6387 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Use the Search function at the top of the page and search for "coprophagia" ... this issue has been much discussed.

For more info - you can also try these links ...

www.vetmed.wsu.edu/pets/_archive/study.htm

www.thevet.com/vetbhv22.htm

www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/lib-prob.htm#copr

Dogs eat poop, sometimes their own, sometimes that of other dogs ... for various possible reasons ... undigested food being one possible reason ... learned behaviour (copying another dog) being another ... attention seeking etc ...

But I don't think that "territorial" issues are involved ... As a general rule, dogs use urine and not stools territory markers ...

Cheers

XoXo
Novice

Nov 20, 2004, 9:23 PM

Post #45 of 48 (6305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May_raymond] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

well you guys may be need some old tricks

it is proven it works on my last normal dog(give away to friend already) and my current shih-Tzu.

1. prepare a bottle of pepper.

2. when your dog/puppy pooo, quickly put some pepper on it. not too much at least still allow some poo smell, because if put too much the pepper might cover the poo smell. but also not too little, because you need those pepper to give your dog nose some shock! Frown Too little will not work! It might encourage ur dogto eat more!

3. After apply on it, let her sniff the poo, (just imaging what will happen when yourself sniff pepper).Usually dog who eat poo will not require your assistant. They will automatically eat the poo. if your dog don't sniff it make him do that!( only do for the first, second time when you use this pepper only just to let him feel the power of pepper.Frown

4.Remove his water also. Let him enjoy the pepper shock for a while. and start laughing......

5. repeat this by putting pepper on the poo....until one day he scare his own poo. Frown

that time your dog will say: OMG!!! POO! Run! It will hurt my nose!

hahaha.

Kizarh
New User

Nov 22, 2004, 7:46 PM

Post #46 of 48 (6251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [XoXo] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
well you guys may be need some old tricks

it is proven it works on my last normal dog(give away to friend already) and my current shih-Tzu.

1. prepare a bottle of pepper.

2. when your dog/puppy pooo, quickly put some pepper on it. not too much at least still allow some poo smell, because if put too much the pepper might cover the poo smell. but also not too little, because you need those pepper to give your dog nose some shock! Too little will not work! It might encourage ur dogto eat more!

3. After apply on it, let her sniff the poo, (just imaging what will happen when yourself sniff pepper).Usually dog who eat poo will not require your assistant. They will automatically eat the poo. if your dog don't sniff it make him do that!( only do for the first, second time when you use this pepper only just to let him feel the power of pepper.

4.Remove his water also. Let him enjoy the pepper shock for a while. and start laughing......

5. repeat this by putting pepper on the poo....until one day he scare his own poo.

that time your dog will say: OMG!!! POO! Run! It will hurt my nose!

hahaha.

Mosquito/dog Repellent, Super spicy kari powder also can

rufinito18
New User

Jan 7, 2005, 10:10 AM

Post #47 of 48 (5494 views)
Shortcut

my pure breed lhasa apso als o eats her poo poo

FrownFrown

i tell her no...Frown
but she runs away from me with the poo in her mouth

ZhaoYun
Novice

Jan 28, 2005, 5:27 PM

Post #48 of 48 (5140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May_raymond] My doggy eating her poo-poo [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
my dog also eats his poo!!! huauauauaauauahahahhahahahaha

May I know why are you so happy when your dog eat his own shit ?

Thank you.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my