Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
runaway when ask to pee at desiganted spot

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Aug 14, 2006, 9:19 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1276 views)
Shortcut
runaway when ask to pee at desiganted spot Can't Post

Hi all, I am new here. Need some advice from all of u. I have a pekingese puppy whom I bought when he was 3 mth plus. From day 1, he was trained to pee on paper which I placed in the kitchen. Initially, he did it right. But ever since he came back from the hospital (he was hospitalised for vomitting), he seems to have forgotten where he is supposed to pee and poo. If I were to bring him to the desiganted spot to pee and poo, he will normally do so. After he has finished, I will praise him and give him a treat immediately. But if I were to let him go there on it's own, he will not do so. For eg. during meal time, when released from his cage, he will run to the kitchen and stop at the kitchen door. He won't go into the kitchen unless I have food in my hand. If he see me coming to him (to bring him in to pee on the paper) when he was standing outside the kitchen, he will immediately run away and ended up peeing somewhere else. He also will not go to the paper to pee on his own even if he is in the kitchen. My question is why did he behave in this manner? Does that means that he dun like to pee in the designated spot ? If that's the case, do I have to change it to somewhere else? I am really in a lost. Have been training him for almost 2 months. Is there something wrong with my training method? Pls advice. Thanks.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2006, 12:45 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickeymummy] runaway when ask to pee at desiganted spot [In reply to] Can't Post

tat's nothing wrong wit ur training method...u did it, right...

u don't actually need to change d spot....juz stick to d place tat u think most convenient n suitable to urself...

ur puppy might juz got confused wit d routine he had in d hospital, probably....

try to supervise him more often n keep close eye on him...even if u have to stand right next to him n wait for him to do it...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Aug 15, 2006, 7:13 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] runaway when ask to pee at desiganted spot [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amanda85, thanks for ur reply. Confused with the rountine he had in the hospital? I also thought so initially. So for the past one month after he came back from the hospital, I carried him to the spot to pee and poo everytime I released him from his cage. Yes, he did it when I do so. But once I let him play or walk about in the house (with close supervision), it will be difficult for me to bring him back to the spot to pee or poo as the moment he see me near, he will runaway. Honestly, I have never beaten him even if he had accident in the house. So why is he so fearful of me?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2006, 7:22 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickeymummy] runaway when ask to pee at desiganted spot [In reply to] Can't Post

did he actually show u d sign of fearful??

usually when d owner run towards d dog, he actually tot tat ur playing some kind of game wit him....try calling him or move towards him gently n not running towards him, which is he might think is a chasing game...

puppy had their own routine n i bet u know when's about d time he will wana release himself again.....

u can try bringing him 2 d kitchen at the specific time interval b4 wait for him to actually attempt to find a place by himself...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Aug 15, 2006, 8:14 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] runaway when ask to pee at desiganted spot [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Hmm....he seems to be afraid of me....I think. because he will not come to me when I call him unless I have food in my hand. I tried to bring him to the paper to pee. The moment I go near him, he will attempt to run away...sigh....If I just let him go, he will pee somewhere else. Maybe he is afraid of me bring him back to his cage?? But I can't keep an eye on him most of the time. Will only allow him an hour or two of play time after his every meal (feed him 3 times a day). Then have to put him back in the cage.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2006, 8:23 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1260 views)
Shortcut

if he did come 2 u when u're holding a treat...this prove tat he's not afraid of u....

is juz tat he doesn't wan to get back in2 d cage....it makes him feel tat everytime he comes to u, he'll hv to end d fun of playing around....

practice recalling by keep giving out treats......especially when he's wandering around d house...call him excitedly n gv him a reward when he come at once....

if u wan 2 put him back in2 d cage....don't call him....go get him instead....or else, everytime u call his name, he will try to hide away....

Pacco de Mongrel

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Aug 16, 2006, 12:50 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1255 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the advice. Will try out later.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my