Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

amber_mae

Aug 14, 2006, 6:07 AM

Post #1 of 33 (1839 views)
Shortcut
HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!! Can't Post

My dog, Amber-Mae, does her recall very slow. She has to be called at least twice or thrice before she comes to me. And she walks very, very and I mean very slow. She's like got 'NO LIFE'! She always look depressed and bored whenever I train her in the training ring at South City Plaza. Not just for the recall, but for all the commands. I don't know, is it becoz I'm treating her too harsh or what, i don't know...I'm trying my very best to make her happy & excited, but it just doesn't work...I want her to be successful and the best youngest puppy to pass her pre-novice test which is coming up next, next week.

I've tried three or more methods to train her. First, when she was still in the puppy class, I always encourage her with her fav squeeky toy and yummy treats, it worked for a while but after that it's like, Neh!!! Anyway, she did get thru her puppy exam, thank god! She does know all her commands, she learns fast but responds very slow. She was the best of the lot!

Now, when she's in pre-novice, I thought maybe being too nice to her and praising her too much, may have caused her to slow down. So, I became strict-jerk her, scold her and wack her. It did work for the heel, she's no longer lagging and forging forward but for the other commands, it's still the same. I oso felt terrible and pity for her when I did those harsh stuff to her. I broke her heart many times, and I can see she's sad and I can see tears in her eyes, ears back and tail between her leg. You know Goldens, they shud be treated softly, they're soft dogs anyway! So then I stopped...

Now, in the middle of the pre-novice class, I tried to be softer but not as soft when she was in puppy class coz she's a big dog already about 8mth then. I still jerk her but not too hard and not too many times. I also try not to scold her but always correct her by just giving a light jerk and so on, so on...I'm using her fav ball in the whole wide world for training and encouraging her. But the moment she starts her training in the training ring, her happiness & exitement shuts down immediately! At home, in the park and else where, she's fine, she comes to me very fast, her eyes are bright and she's alwayz excited, cant wait for me to throw the ball.

She also don't like to be pulled. I'm now so fustrated and really dono what to do anywmore. I tried the best I can. So many diff techniques but just doesn't seem to work. Is it me, or maybe it's her. Or maybe Goldens are just like that...I don't know! Or maybe I'm not patient enuf, dont think so...

Her exam's coming in two weeks time, and I want her to get high marks and make it to Novice. Please, please, I have no other options. Can sumone help me? At least give me a nother technique...She just doesn't enjoy it.

Giving care is like a 'Boomerang'

When you give it out freely, it always comes back to you

Remember that...

FrownVisit Amber-Mae's BlogFrown

http://www.ambers-diary.blogspot.com(Updated 2nd Oct 2006)

PSY
K9 Kaki

Aug 15, 2006, 6:10 AM

Post #2 of 33 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [amber_mae] HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Notice your posting a few days back and looks like no-one has any ideas in how to advise you on this matter you have with amber_mae. i like to suggest you call up Mr. Paul Chan, from M.K.A. and ask him if he can help you. He is a personal friend of mine and I have mentioned your problem to him. Give it a go you may have an easier time on the 27th.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 15, 2006, 6:19 PM

Post #3 of 33 (1829 views)
Shortcut
Re: [amber_mae] HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

d prob ofcoz lies on ur jerking method.....

this is d method i used to my 1st dog....n her situation is as wat u've describe 'slow' n unhappy....

so now i don't JERK my 2nd dog at all....n her respond is super fast......will run for d recall until her bump on my legs....

coming to d owner n performing d command shld make ur ambermae feels tat she's gonna get a great reward later.....

n if she start thinking tat she'll get a jerk everytime she's @ .....what do u think came across her mind....it seems like a punishment day for her....afterall, how can she be happy of tat....

she'll probably hate sunday....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

amber_mae

Aug 16, 2006, 12:38 AM

Post #4 of 33 (1818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi PSY, thanks for replying...Isn't Paul Chan the head of MKA? Is his wife Maggie? And er...do you train your dog there too? Coz your Dobermann looks familiar, like form my class. Sure, I'll call him. Thanks alot!!!

Remember that...

amber_mae

Aug 16, 2006, 12:48 AM

Post #5 of 33 (1818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehe, hey Amanda. Didint think you'll see my post here. Maybe that could be it, but that's what my trainer tells me and others tdo if they are doing it right or whatever! If I don't, she'll take over whoever's dog that's not following the handler's command, she'll do it rougher...So I don't want that to happen to my dear Amber-Mae. Nowadays, I'm no longer doing the jerking for recall. I'll ask to wait then i walk ten metres or more away, and then when I call her, she's runs to me and i purposely encourage her to jump on me, take the leash, and then gets a big sayang and praise from me, then i'll ask her to sit. She's very happy and excited! When I ask her to do the finish, she quickly moves back to my left side, ofcourse her fav ball is my hand. Then I throw it as a reward!!! But this only happens outside my home and in the park. But in the ring, I do exactly the same thing, no effect. Tired, slow , depressed...My, my, my...That means, the only way to get her exactly like she is when she does it outside my house and park, is to go to South City plaza quietly(ssshhh...) and train her there. Maybe that'll help her alot!!!

But there's no more time, we're boarding twio dogs now and there's no time to go there to do it. the new thing now, we're doing is, we'll ask her to sit, wait and when I shout the command 'come', my mom, won't say anything to Amber but guide her to me very fast. Do you think that will work???

Remember that...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 16, 2006, 12:57 AM

Post #6 of 33 (1817 views)
Shortcut

training classes can be useful....but v are d trainee shld hv our own thinking n judge which is good n which is not....

u need not accept everything that d trainer teach.... i know exactly d situation tat u had mentioned, coz i went to training classes b4....n i saw d trainer punish other dogs b4....n i'm terrified....

d method u use seems a bit complicated....u dun actually need ur mum to guide her....

y dun u try this method...

every meal time or snack....ask her to stay n u walk a distance away....i bet her eye will be focusing directly to u.....

n call 'come'......i'm confident tat she'll run for d food that u're holding....n later try to increaase the time duration....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

PSY
K9 Kaki

Aug 16, 2006, 3:14 AM

Post #7 of 33 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Hi, the person I am refering to, you have not met and no, Maggie is not his wife. I do not train my dog with M.K.A. Call me if you wish, as I may be able to explain a little better.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 16, 2006, 6:30 PM

Post #8 of 33 (1808 views)
Shortcut

Hi

will chip in my 2 cents if you don't mind.

1. "So, I became strict-jerk her, scold her and wack her. It did work for the heel, she's no longer lagging and forging forward but for the other commands, it's still the same."

You are getting the point wrong. A correction must be firm but fair. Doing corrections must be balanced with rewards. Use your best judgement and apply the appropriate corrections (it does not have to be a jerk on the check chain - it can also be voice commands like "no". Different dogs require different types of corrections - no one size fit all method. You need to use your own best judgement to decide what works with her), talk to your dog, tap your left thigh. In short, do anything you can to get her back to your side. The moment she corrects herself (ie, catch up with you), you reward her (by praise/food) <-- this is the part that most people left out. Dog gets corrected, they correct themselves, then what? With no rewards/encouragement, the acceptable behavior is not emphasized - the dog is confused.

Many may disagree with me, but I find that a balance of corrections (be it physical correction or voice correction) and reward is a lot more effective than 100% reward only or 100% corrections only.

2. You are doing too much of re-calls with your dog. Recall training is not restricted to the regular sit-your dog-leave-your-dog-call-your-dog-finish-your-dog routine. Amber Mae is so used with the routine that it's consider as yet another exercise. My suggestion is that you do the puppy recall exercise during heelwork (heel as usual, then suddenly call her name and run backwards, when she comes to you, squat down praise and hug). Call her when she's excited. Call her when there's food. Be creative and give her surprise recalls. If she gives you speed, reward like crazy. Don't overly emphasize on her sitting in front of you and finishing the exercise, from the way it seems, you should encourage more speed from her.

3. The dog is over-trained. Think about it, she's joined puppy kindergarten when very young - probably at 3-4 months old? she's still a little baby when I first saw her at orientation! Before the basics were properly grounded she's already pushed to do some of the pre-novice exercises and sat through the mock trial with the pre-novice students.

And about 2 weeks after her puppy kindergarten, she joined the pre-novice and was consistently trained until today. I am sure you are a very hard worker and always make sure she does her training practice, and I am sure she is a very fast learner and capable of executing pre-novice exercises even at very young age, but what I'm saying is the non-stop training may have caused her to lose interest of training.

Get a break from training for a while, don't get so tensed. Keep your sessions short and sweet to keep this young dog excited - the longer hours you strive to train her to perfection, the more she'll lose interest. You may even want to consider to stop training a few days and do some other fun activities with her for a change.

Oh, and if you notice, many goldens lag during heelwork. I'm not applying this to all goldens, but it is a common symptom among goldens. Hence it is important for you to make sure that she is constantly praised for walking align with you during heel work.

There is no need to rush to title your dog at the shortest amount of time. If the basics are not well-grounded or the dog lose interest early, her problems will only get worse as she gets to the higher levels. Remember my earlier advise that you need to also take care of her hips and not push her too hard/fast. She is still young, let her learn at her pace and you should be able to see better response from her.

Wish you all the best for pre-novice mock trial. Don't worry so much, she should do fine. Talk to your class's trainer about your dog's problem, maybe there are more useful solutions/ideas that you may benefit from.

amber_mae

Aug 17, 2006, 6:52 AM

Post #9 of 33 (1796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That will deffinately work-your method I mean. But only outside the training ring. That's why I said, since I'm having a one week school break, we'll just have to secretly go to the training ring at South City Plaza for the whole weekdays and do the exact thing like I do at home, park, etc, etc...That means, changing everything that's negative about that place to a positive place just like our home. U see, there's no time to play and keep on encouraging your dog over there, we only have one hour and the class is going fast! At home, there's lotz of time, for example after each exercise, you get to throw the ball as a reward. Over there, no way, it will interrupt other classes that are going on.

I'm trying my very best to be nice to her. I'm still trying very hard to make her happy about that place. So the only last thing I can do is, go there, train her how I do at home, and just hope that she'll improve with her recall. I'm also giving her lots of vitamin E just to boost her energy up little more. It seems to be working this past two days-she can't even sleep, LOL! maybe that's good for every Sundays...Anyway, I'll still try.

Remember that...

amber_mae

Aug 17, 2006, 7:33 AM

Post #10 of 33 (1797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

OH it's you Li Ping! Thanks for your advise at least I got a trainer to give me some good advice. Okay, ya lah maybe I'm pushing her too hard. I just wanted her to be the best of the lot but maybe it doesn't mean teaching too fast will actually help her. I just want her to achieve her goals.

My mom already wants her to start fetching clothes from the basket coz she's got nuthing to do at home...All she does is sleep, eat and play her with her ball. That's it! I want her to move on faster so that when she goes to Novice, she won't have any problems with heeling off-leash or with other commands. I don't really want to go too slow or even go too fast. Just go one step faster. like now, I'm already teaching her to heel off-leash. She can do it but she lags the moment I drop the leash. If I pick it up again, she'll walk close to my side, but if i drop it again, she'll lag.

This will take sum time to improve. So it's better to start now instead of waiting. She's mastered all her commands already accept that she's slow, why not learn sumthing else you know. Eventhough i only train her for three min a day, she's bored and I'm bored too! I never push her bum too hard coz I know she's got this HD prob. if I shout, no point, she won't listen! maggie said that, if a dog feels pain sumtimes they'll learn from their mistakes faster. True? I'm just listening to what trainers tell us to do...But I don't really wana jerk her too hard nowadays. I feel terrible doing that. By the way, since Amber's always tired, when i say 'heel', she doesnt get up fast enuf wether or not if she's sitting or when she's down. How do I get her to heel on time? And again, this only happens in the training ring not elsewhere.

You can read my previous post, I feel that Amber thinks of that place a negative plc. How do i make her feel that plc is a positive plc just like my home and park? I'll still try my very best. I've not train her for 3 days now. Hopefully she hasnt forgotten any commands...I only do the recall like once in a while-she's usually esxited about it ans again not in the training ring like I've mentioned earlier on. I dont think she can go very far. maggie said that Amber has no life and I think it's true...She looks like she just came straight from a abusive owner. My God! You should see her on Sunday.

But funnily, Amber enjoys agility! Last Sunday, the agility stuff were left in the training ring so I just tried out with her. Wow! She seemed to be enjoying it! Maybe after she's 12mth old, I'll enter her for agility. I know it's not good for her hips, but why not do sumthing with her that she & I enjoy instead of sumthing she doesnt enjoy doing but is forced to do so? We can builed our relationship better dont ya think so? Anyway, that one can wait. Hey is it okay, if I go to South City Plaza next week, everyday to train her? I want to make that plc a positive plc for her so that she can perform well...Sorry, there may be bad spellings or grammars here coz i type very fast, see ya Li Ping!!!

Remember that...

amber_mae

Aug 17, 2006, 7:38 AM

Post #11 of 33 (1796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh I see...okay. Sure! I need HELP...........................

Remember that...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 17, 2006, 6:15 PM

Post #12 of 33 (1786 views)
Shortcut

a 1 hour class is more than enuf to make a dog getting bored....can u imagine doing d same thing over n over again for an hour...

u shld actually make ur dog think, heeling is a trick n not a work...

i still remember my dog used to heel around a circle in n look @ d butt of d dog infront.... n then sit when halt n then continue again...n its so boring....

keep training short n fun is important to make ur dog interesting n d activity n get excited when she had a chance to do it...

Pacco de Mongrel

wan
K9 Maniac

Aug 18, 2006, 2:54 AM

Post #13 of 33 (1771 views)
Shortcut

totally 100% agree with you..

I trained whiskey with clicker since he was bout 2 months+ and he learned really fast with that.

Just that he doesnt have a certificate to prove that he is obedient. At times thinking should i send him for obedient class so that he will get a cert. But I heard ppl trained by using choked chain and jerk it. I find it very harsh. So I think and think no point just bcos of getting the cert to make him suffer there as long as he listens to me at home I'm happy enough alr.

* ~ My Life Has Changed 23rd June 2008) ~ *

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 18, 2006, 3:48 AM

Post #14 of 33 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wan] HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

u don't actually need to enrol for a training classes in order 2 get a cert...

u can straight away sign up for a trial when u think ur dog is ready 4 it...

now there is already 2 dog club organizing OB Trial....n i think pp.com will hv one too later...coz since they already hv agility trial for public...

take a look @ groovy's blog 2 get more details...

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Aug 18, 2006, 3:50 AM)

PSY
K9 Kaki

Aug 18, 2006, 4:48 AM

Post #15 of 33 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Great, just a little shock to see so many response all of a sudden in particular Hunter's as I think this forumer participated in the last obedience trial and if I am correct he/she is also an M.K.A. trainer. Pretty ironic, if this is an M.K.A. trainer and giving advise to solve a obedience issue in puppy.com.

Anyway, do get in touch with Mr. Chan as I am fairly certain he has a qualification for obedience dog training. Grateful if you can let me know how amber_mae work out.

All the best.

wan
K9 Maniac

Aug 18, 2006, 5:25 PM

Post #16 of 33 (1761 views)
Shortcut

ic.. thanks for the info amanda.

cos I heard fr a friend that to enrol for exam must go thru obedience class.

will read groovy's blog.

btw, b4 i bring my dog out for all these I need help him overcome fear of other dogs. Frown sad to say that when he sees other dog he's just too timid and stress.. i need to socialise him but I noticed he warm up with other dogs really slow... crazymouse advise to let whiskey meet 1 dog at a time cos he freak out when see too many so im in the process..

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 18, 2006, 6:25 PM

Post #17 of 33 (1759 views)
Shortcut

I personally know this GR amber mae since she was a puppy first starting out with obedience. wasn't my student, but just spotted the owner's post the other day and thought I'd point out some advise for her and hopefully find some of it useful.

oh yes, I entered the last obedience trial and i'm an mka trainer. however, i don't see what's so ironic about me posting here. i hope there's no policy here that prevents/bans MKA members/students/trainers from using this forum?

i'm here because i love dogs. i'm sure the same applies to you too. we're all here for to share a common interest. what's your background, where you're from, who are you, where you're heading to.. i don't think it really matters.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Aug 18, 2006, 7:03 PM

Post #18 of 33 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do seems I have step on your toes, do aplogise, as I thought it was best sorted out "in house" instead of out that is all. Not to worry, I am just a " no body" and as you have mentioned just for the dogs just wish I have the time and money to join a training facility and train my dog but after saying all that I have no real problems with mine yet.

Do hope you can help amber_mae out here.

All the best.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 18, 2006, 9:08 PM

Post #19 of 33 (1749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wan] HELP!!! MY DOG IS ALWAYS DEPRESSED WHEN I TRAIN HER!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

if u do not join any training classes, is important that u alwiz bring whiskey to socialize...

i start socializing pacco when she's 2 months old....

then i brought her to jungle trekking every saturday ... once a month to pet safari ....apart from that whenever there is dog event, v'll definately b there...

when she 1st arrived @ bandar utama...she got all freak out n don't even dare to walk....

but after frequent exposure....she gain more confident n b able to listen to command eventhough there r lotsa other doggie wandering around her....

i do not use pet drop off area when i wanted to go pet safari....i used d public lift instead n let her walk through crowd of ppl.... sometimes will wait for my dad @ d curve entrance.... every passer by will tends to stop n hv a look @ her, especially when she's wearing d jersey during d world cup season..Laugh

btw, during our weekly jungle trekking, there r usually 5 or 6 dogs there...so u can take this opportunity to socialize him...

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Aug 18, 2006, 9:13 PM)

wan
K9 Maniac

Aug 18, 2006, 9:45 PM

Post #20 of 33 (1743 views)
Shortcut

wah 2 months alr socialise it.. no wonder whiskey so takut when c dogs la..

cos i nv socialise him when he was puppy i too protect him that time I thought cannot mix with other dog until after all the japs. When he's bout 4 months he met my friend's chowchow and freak out cos so big and like a lion hahaha..

After that 2nd time was the BU Dog olympic day so many dogs and that time he really stress like anything... foaming non stop and when i talk to him ask him to sit or whatever also dunno how to listen liao... tail down all the way ... 3 hours there

3rd time is when I send him to the home boarding place where that uncle that take care of my dog has many adult dogs 5 dalmations after stay there 2 days he's ok liao with them cos they're adult and soft. He's very scared of other beagles cos they're rough and likes to make him play but he cannot take it he need those dog that is slow and slowly sniff him.. then he will be ok.

4th time is beagle gathering that time got 3 beagles there .. the rest plays so rough be stand there tail down and so takut.. Crazy sigh..

5th was few days ago a beagle owner bring his dog to visit us.. he's better cos 1 dog only but still timid cos his beagle quite aggresive.. keep wanting to hump him even though both also male.. whiskey also trying to hump him but kena bully back..

haha.. u r right need to socialise him more..

is the trekking at Bukit Gasing ?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 18, 2006, 9:55 PM

Post #21 of 33 (1740 views)
Shortcut

yup. is at bkt gasing...

yen ling os bring her Hero there. n hero as a maltese, is d most polite dog...

when pacco is 2 months old @ bandar utama, she 1st encounter is wit 2 big Great Dane. but despite their tall body n big size, great dane are very polite n gentle. so i let pacco wandering around them. is so funny to c those big dogs look down at her n watch their feet to avoid stepping on her.

when u 1st bring a timid dog 2 socialize, is best to put him onleash n avoid letting other dogs to b rough on him. this will onli make him even more frighten. juz let him observe other dogs n get him feeling secure n comfortable wit the environment is important.

after he's more confident, then only let him to mix wit other dogs n best to choose friendly n gentle dog.

Pacco de Mongrel

wan
K9 Maniac

Aug 18, 2006, 10:28 PM

Post #22 of 33 (1739 views)
Shortcut

ic..

hmm, what time do u all normally meet there? Saturday ? If can one day might join u all not sure yet.

u really give good advise, I think Whiskey has been frighten by many rough dogs ...

he's a beagle yet he's so different compare to my other friends' beagles. beagle is suppose to be confident.. but he's not in front of other dogs.

probably like u said bring him observe other dog and choose a more gentle dog.

So is your pacco gentle when meet new dogs?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 19, 2006, 1:12 AM

Post #23 of 33 (1735 views)
Shortcut

basically no matter wat breed of dog, every dog need to show/hv confident.

i think whiskey will feel more cmfortable if he's around small dogs.

as for pacco, after frequent socializing, she don't actually bother about the dogs around her. now she'll usually ignore their presence.

during d jungle trekking, she like to run about by herself. but when there is new member, she'll show sign of interest towards smaller breed. start sniffing on them n show a play bow.

during doggie gathering, when there r rough dog trying to bully her, she'll run back to me. so i feel tat, she's not tat brave afterall. n she'll avoid herself from getting into trouble. whenever there r male dogs fighting/quarelling, she'll stand @ d side and watch d show.Laugh

Pacco de Mongrel

wan
K9 Maniac

Aug 19, 2006, 1:33 AM

Post #24 of 33 (1732 views)
Shortcut

hahaha...

so she's more likely to be playful towards smaller breed la..

whiskey that day during dog olympic day.. scared until.. my friend's chihuahua he also scared.. haha Pirate

Yes u r right, no matter what breed all dogs shd show confident..

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 19, 2006, 1:44 AM

Post #25 of 33 (1729 views)
Shortcut

whiskey condition sounds really serious.

i think u definately need more time n patient. is hard for him to overcome it.

did he actually had any bad experience b4?

Pacco de Mongrel

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my