First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

newgen
Novice

May 6, 2003, 7:43 AM

Post #1 of 48 (2121 views)
Shortcut
John is in the house! Can't Post

Hi guys!
I'm John, joined the forum yesterday, and got myself a mix breed dog from a friend. I'm not sure what what breed he is, cause i can't find any other dog breed that 100% suits the look.

Anyway, this is my first chance keeping a dog, I love animals ever since i was a kid, but I'm scared of animals, not sure why so...Laugh. Maybe i got bit by dogs before, when i was a kid.

The dog i'm having now call Tommy, he's a very cute puppy, he's about 2 feet long and height is about 1 to 1.5feet, but a shy and scared...as today is the 1st day with me. I brought him back to my house around 7pm just now. My friend gave me the puppy cause he already have one at home. He said it's enough for him, so i took Tommy home from his house...I feel that Tommy was sad when we leave...and he looks lonely now...What should i do? As this is the 1st time i'm keeping a dog.

Hope you guys can educate me how to be a good dog owner... i don't know much about the basic ways of handling a dog. As i know only love, is not enough for them.

Thanks!
John, 19 year old College Student(HELP Institude). Staying in Kepong
~Tender, Love & Care~
Cheers!

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

May 6, 2003, 7:53 AM

Post #2 of 48 (2114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [newgen] John is in the house! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum ! I hope you'll have fun time joining the BIG family. Anyway, for the first few nites, Tommy will be making a bit (or alot) of noise as he will definite miss his mummy. So, do prepare a place for him to sleeps in and make sure he has some water for him to drink and if possible, stay with him for the nite or (i heard before) put a clock near him so that when he hears the clock ticking he will think its his mummy nearby.

As for the food, if you are giving him kibbles, then you better make sure that the kibbles is soften before feeding him. I hope those infos helps...

cheers,
minglmy

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 6, 2003, 7:57 AM

Post #3 of 48 (2113 views)
Shortcut

Hi John Smile

First of all, welcome to the forum!! I own a 3 month old Japanese Spitz puppy. I know u must be really happy bringing Tommy home...cause I couldn't sleep well the first night I brought my first puppy home. I kept waking up to stare at him sleep. Blush

Anyway, it's normal that you have so many questions to ask for your first dog and the fact that you want to give Tommy our best is a good sign that you'd quite easily develop a good friendship with your puppy..cause trust me....a pup/dog ALWAYS know who loves them. And they love many many times in return!

You can try browse through all the postings put up by the members here as a lot of us were pretty new to taking care of dogs too. You'll find a lot of informative stuff as you read a long.

By the way, do check out the "Events and Gathering" thread and look out for the "Agility Party -14th May 2003". We're having a doggie party at Kota Kemuning and u can get more information in that thread . Hope to see you and Tommy there! Have fun in this forum Cool

newgen
Novice

May 6, 2003, 8:03 AM

Post #4 of 48 (2113 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] John is in the house! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info Ming Yang!

The dog is actually a wild dog I think...that I friend found under his car 1 day (a month ago). He told me that Tommy was like...an abundant dog, so he keep him as Tommy is just a puppy, I think might be 4 months old or older? I really can’t tell…I don’t have experience at all.

Anyway, I’m going to take him to a vet tomorrow, cause I’m not sure if Tommy have been vaccinated before and health check. And also apply for license (I do need 1 right?)

I’m keeping Tommy outdoor, and it’s covered up (won’t get wet when raining, and won’t be too hot when sun shines) I’ve put some dog food (looks like biscuits), and some water with him. And I’ve tied him up with a leash (should I do that? As it’s a small puppy! I’m worried if he got stolen…)

Am I doing the right things? Hope you guys can correct me! Thanks!

Cheers!
John

~Tender, Love & Care~
Cheers!

newgen
Novice

May 6, 2003, 8:11 AM

Post #5 of 48 (2112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] John is in the house! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi John Smile

First of all, welcome to the forum!! I own a 3 month old Japanese Spitz puppy. I know u must be really happy bringing Tommy home...cause I couldn't sleep well the first night I brought my first puppy home. I kept waking up to stare at him sleep. Blush

Anyway, it's normal that you have so many questions to ask for your first dog and the fact that you want to give Tommy our best is a good sign that you'd quite easily develop a good friendship with your puppy..cause trust me....a pup/dog ALWAYS know who loves them. And they love many many times in return!

You can try browse through all the postings put up by the members here as a lot of us were pretty new to taking care of dogs too. You'll find a lot of informative stuff as you read a long.

By the way, do check out the "Events and Gathering" thread and look out for the "Agility Party -14th May 2003". We're having a doggie party at Kota Kemuning and u can get more information in that thread . Hope to see you and Tommy there! Have fun in this forum Cool

Thanks Cshellz!

What a wonderful welcome by you guys! Thank you so much!Laugh

Hmm...so those gatherings...my mix breed dog (Tommy) can join too?Angelic

Well...i think i have to get to know Tommy more before i can bring him out...and i have to train him too...hope you guys can give some tips!Tongue

Tommy is still very shy and affraid i think, and i think he don't like car rides much, cause he was climbing here and there in the car just now when me and my dad was bringing him home. Is this normal? And he sounds like he's affraid...is he car sick?Laugh I'm not sure...

Cheers!
John
~Tender, Love & Care~
Cheers!

Elly
ALPHA

May 6, 2003, 9:01 AM

Post #6 of 48 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. CHeers!Wink

Elly

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

May 6, 2003, 2:26 PM

Post #7 of 48 (2106 views)
Shortcut

hello John,

welcome to the family...good luck with your new doggie...the vital ingredients you need:lots of patience,lots of energy as he's still a new pup in a new place, lots of toys (he's just a puppy), lots of tolerance cuz he might bite anything he sees ( don't shout or scream cuz no use..use dog training method..get the info from some other threads) and top it all, lots of love from YOU...Smile

take care
Meme

odie moves MY world!

newgen
Novice

May 6, 2003, 3:02 PM

Post #8 of 48 (2104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strawhoney] John is in the house! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Meme!

About food, do i need to feed him puppy food? or normal dog food will do? Because my friend fed him with normal dog food, same as his 5 years old Jack Russell. Anyway he loves the food, i put some of the food in a bowl, and with a bowl of water, he just fisnished the food and a bowl of water last night(My friend gave me some of the same dog food, that Tommy ate all the while when he's wih my friend), topped up the water before i go to bed.

So any advice? All comments are welcome! Angelic

Thanks!

Cheers!
John
~Tender, Love & Care~
Cheers!

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

May 6, 2003, 3:24 PM

Post #9 of 48 (2103 views)
Shortcut

hey John,

what a fast reply...hehe...anyways,talking about dog food...since your doggie is still a puppy, giving him puppy food is more appropriate...I 'm not saying that adult dog food is not good but puppy dog food have more nutrients...which implies that it helps your puppy to build bones and also for his growth...apart from that, the manufacturers do not simply make their products...the products are produced after intense reseach...thus the reason why they have dog food according to the size of dogs...like puppy they have puppy kibbles (smaller and easy for them to digest + more nutrients) and adult dogs have their own type of kibbles.....you do want your puppy to grow up to be a strong doggie right?hehe..,.Smileso John, I would definitely recommend puppy food...

hmm,as for water,i have to say it depends on whether your dog knows where to peepee...if he's not housebroken yet, then minimize the quantity of water he should take before going to bed...it saves you a lot of troubles and take it as part of training too...get some toys for him to chew...to save your shoes and other furnitures in the houseWink...spend some time with your dog...and train him if you have the time..show him around and let him socialize so that he won't be scared when seeing other dogs or ppl...

good luck JohnSmile
Meme

odie moves MY world!

Trivor
K9 Servant

May 6, 2003, 4:21 PM

Post #10 of 48 (2103 views)
Shortcut

hello John,
Welcome to the forum!
I have a golden retriever puppy, her name is Trivor. well, she is also my 1st puppy.
Take care of your puppy with lots of love. And you can actually learn some tips on training on "dogs and uppies training" forum. It will be fun to share you new experiences with poeple and learn form them Wink
See ya around!!

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

newgen
Novice

May 6, 2003, 4:40 PM

Post #11 of 48 (2104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] John is in the house! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks again to Meme! And Trivor(whats your name anyway? :))

So i'm adviced to give him puppy food? OK! Wink I actually bought a pack of 1.5KG puppy food(Pedigree Puppy, Weaning - 3 months) The pack tells, to put the dry food in a bowl, and then add warm water in to soak it for 5 minutes before soaking...and if the puppy have got teeth, then can feed the dog without soaking the food. So, is it right? Anyway the pallet size is small.

About peepee and poopoo lah...this morning...Tommy keep on making squeaky sound...so i go and pett him, then he stop. When i get into the house...i heard that again...So i have no choice(since i think he have not taken any japs yet) i just walk him to the opposite of my house...where a small field...He went there....sniff on the grass...here and there...then begin to peepeeLaugh...and then...walk a few steps...begin to poo poo!Crazy So is not he have got used to pee pee and poo poo outside the house? cause i can't find any pee pee or poo poo on the car porch.

He just took his breakfast...and now resting in the car porch. And i think i won't let him go into our house yet...cause i'm still a beginner...don't dare to try it yet.

About letting him sleeping outside...should i get some cloths for him? or make a nestTongue? He looks like a very tough puppy. Anyway, he slept under the aquarium last night.Unimpressed Until i tackle him out with food...Blush

Cheers!
John
~Tender, Love & Care~
Cheers!

serene_kwlim
K9 Maniac

May 6, 2003, 5:36 PM

Post #12 of 48 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Daer John,

WELCOME ON-BOARD, having a puppy will bring u alots of fun time experience! of course also alot of hard times lah... but anyway, u won't regret to hv a fur baby with u! coz, he will be the best campanion to u!

i owned a GSD named Jamie now she's 1yr 3 months old! do join us this coming gathering @ kota kemuning!Wink

regards,Sly
Serene Lim
My furkids: Jamie & Max.

Jamie's WebSite
GSD Owner? Pls add in!

Jamie's Dogster
Max's Dogster

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 6, 2003, 5:55 PM

Post #13 of 48 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Hi newgen,

If your puppy has not been to the vet b4, I suggest you take him to the vet for his vaccination and deworming. As you said he was an abandoned dog, you wouldn't know what he might have caught prior to you taking him home. So just to be safe (and for your own health too) just take him to the vet to get the necessary medical attention a puppy needs. Smile a puppy will need 3 vaccination, often in 1 month interval.

And if your puppy is still very young, you should also try not to take him out too often especially putting him on the ground outside of your house compound. Puppies catch viruses fast and since a lot of older dogs walk outside your compound, you really don't want to risk letting ur pup contract any disease outside. And there are ticks in grass too.

And if you want to leave him outside, just make sure he's under some shade. You can also try putting some cardboard boxes (tilt it to a side) with some cloth in it so he can just sleep there in case it gets too cold outside.

I was like you too when I first brought my puppy back!! Fussing over him all the time Smile BUt don't worry, just read through the threads in the forum....you'll learn a lot. Wink Fun isn't it?

newgen
Novice

May 6, 2003, 6:19 PM

Post #14 of 48 (2097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] John is in the house! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

Yeap, he has not gone to a vet yet, but i'll bring him to 1 asap! :) Thanks for reminding!Angelic

I'm keeping him outside, my house is under 100% shade, won't be too hot excpet some hot afternoons(Malaysian weather...Crazy)

I'll prepair a "bed" for Tommy this evening! :)

Gonna give him a bath this afternoon, so any suggestion on how to bath? I'm not very sure how to take bath for him! pls help!Pirate

Thanks!
Cheers!
John
~Tender, Love & Care~
Cheers!

wkser
ALPHA

May 6, 2003, 6:30 PM

Post #15 of 48 (2094 views)
Shortcut

hi john,

welcome to the forum......WinkTongue

regards
kangser and nous

Trivor
K9 Servant

May 6, 2003, 6:51 PM

Post #16 of 48 (2092 views)
Shortcut

hello John,
My name is SC, Trivor is my puppy's name Smile
I agree with Cshellz's comment. Bring him to vet asap for medical check up, 1st jap and deworm. You don't want to run the risk.
It would be good to buy him a crate. Will he grow to big size? If yes, maybe you need to invest a larger crate.

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

newgen
Novice

May 6, 2003, 7:03 PM

Post #17 of 48 (2091 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] John is in the house! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi SC!

well...i'm not very sure if he is a big breed or not...and i'm actually not very sure about his age too...he looks like about 5 months old. Maybe Vets know?

And i'm very worried now, cause Tommy don't bark at all! Is he OK? sigh...
But he likes to yawn and sleep...and he likes to lie on the floor. I'm preparing a small "sleeping basket" for Tommy, using a plastic pan(was used to plant hydro vegetables, was quite popular some years back, remember?). Just washed the pan and drying it up now. I think i'll put some newspapers on the bottom, and then a cloth on top of the newspapers. Hope this can give him enough comfort when resting.

Cheers!
John
~Tender, Love & Care~
Cheers!

adamchooi
Canine Addict

May 6, 2003, 8:07 PM

Post #18 of 48 (2085 views)
Shortcut

hey john!

welcome to the forum!

Seems like u r already enjoying yourself here!!!Sly

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

querida
Dog Kichi

May 6, 2003, 8:14 PM

Post #19 of 48 (2083 views)
Shortcut

helloo..

welcome to the forum. do you like feed your dog with dry petfood? well you see, i'm also a college student (Inti College), and i'm doing a marketing research on petfood.. so i need your help to answer some questionnaires.

you can open a new browser and type the following:

www. .com/petfood_ques/form1

your help is greatly appreciated!

btw, i own 2 boxers; Castro and Jojo.

sweeeng
ALPHA

May 6, 2003, 9:18 PM

Post #20 of 48 (2076 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Welcome to the forum and welcome your dog to your family... It's good to have a dog as a pal ... They can really keep you company at any time...

I myself have 1 LAb, 1 Shih Tzu and 2 Maltese...

Hope to see you more often...

Sweeeng

newgen
Novice

May 7, 2003, 5:21 AM

Post #21 of 48 (2071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] John is in the house! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi again pals!

Took bath for Tommy today, and found that he's quite affraid of water. And after bathing, he was shaking, but i've already wipe him dry. Actually, what are the steps for bathing a dog? I bought a normal shampoo for puppy from a pet shop, cost RM13, was adviced to take that cause others are for bigger dogs. Is it enough for Tommy? I think he got some dandruff, and shed some fur(short and smooth type fur), only very small patches(about 4 or 5 small patches).

I gave him a toy bone today, he was biting it the whole afternoon, now the toy bone is like...skinned offCrazy, so should i get a plastic one instead of the eat-able toy bone(was told that they actually can eat it)?

Tomorrow i'm going to get him to the government vet(have one quite near to my place), they said the jeps cost only RM30. So are the government vet same with those vets outside?

And surprisingly, i felt that Tommy is quite good, cause whenever he want to do poo poo or pee pee, he will make noise or walk here and there, so i just have to bring him out to do it on grass, hope those poo poo pee pee can help the plants grow also!

Anyway, whats the healthy color and shape for a 2 feet long puppy? Wanna learn more! Blush

Thanks!

Cheers!
John
~Tender, Love & Care~
Cheers!

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

May 7, 2003, 8:49 AM

Post #22 of 48 (2065 views)
Shortcut

Hi John,

Seems like u went thru the 1st hurdle and bath him yourself. Do try to bath him in warm water (not to catch a cold) and dry him up ASAP. As for the shampoo, well I use the normal mild type of shampoo and if after awhile the skin does not develope anything (like rashes, pimple like thingy) then it should be ok.

I buy lots of chewable toys for Mocha too coz, when teething time, they would love to bites & chew... and it last a while too. Seems to me that your puppy is really good and keep it up especially when he already knows how & where to pee & poo. Just try to take him out before and after makan so that he can do his "business" before coming back into the house. Have fun !

cheers,
minglmy

evelynmoods
Novice

May 7, 2003, 9:16 AM

Post #23 of 48 (2064 views)
Shortcut

hi john, i am new here too. i am also quite worried here as i am going to bring back my small little 6 month shih tzu on this coming weekends, so i am also learning along the way.

on this forum, its really good to get info for us begginer in all this forum threads.

i find there is lots of tips and advice from all tehe brothers & sisters out there who have lots of experienced.

all the best with your tommy

cheers,

evelyn, hubby and joey

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 7, 2003, 5:16 PM

Post #24 of 48 (2060 views)
Shortcut

Morning John! Smile

Bathing him was fun eh?? I remember bathing my puppy for the first time. I got all wet cause the fella was running trying to run away from the water and he was splashing it all over me. haha! PUppy shampoo is ok, and like what ming yang said, try to bathe your pup in lukewarm water.After that you have to dry them well or they will start to shiver.

Some bones are edible and some are not. You can get both. THe edible ones can be like a treat for the dog (i usually give it to him when I want him to sit still while I brush him). THe plastic ones are good for chewing. As they are puppies, they tend to like to chew and bite on things (like babies when they are teething). So getting them one which they can't eat is quite a good idea too so that it can last longer! kekeke Wink

I've never been to a government vet before but I suppose they should know what to do. But make sure you tell them that he was an abandoned dog and get them to check him properly.

As for the colour and shape, it depends on what kind of dog it is. You can check with the vet. But if your doggie is a mongrel, sometimes it's kinda hard to tell what they have been mixed with.

hope this helps Smile

sweeeng
ALPHA

May 7, 2003, 6:00 PM

Post #25 of 48 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Hi John,

You puppy is probably cold. Try using warm water and make sure your dog is really dry when it's done. My shih tzu will alwiz make a noise if the water is too cold for her.. and my 2 Maltese will shiver. So I use warm water to bath them.

Sweeeng

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my