Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Time for a Change of Philosophy?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 5, 2006, 2:28 AM

Post #1 of 3 (784 views)
Shortcut
Time for a Change of Philosophy? Can't Post

A lot of traditional training methods have used some form of positive punishment, often with its natural partner, negative reinforcement. The dog is not in the correct heel position, so the handler yanks the lead. The dog fails to lie down on command, so the handler pushes it into a down. The puppy wets the carpet, so is slapped and shouted at. While the dog may learn to do some behaviours, and avoid others, in order to avoid being punished, this is a method of training that will cause the animal stress. Handlers who favour training methods based on positive punishment badly need to reconsider the morality of the way in which they treat their animals, and the relationship they want with their pets. Change your personal philosophy - choose reward-based methods using positive reinforcement. These are the methods of choice for handlers who are prepared to think step by step through the shaping process needed to train an end behaviour, and for handlers who want to have fun with their dogs.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 5, 2006, 2:29 AM

Post #2 of 3 (781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Time for a Change of Philosophy? [In reply to] Can't Post

If your dog is not doing something you want, ask yourself two questions: "Have I taught my dog
what is wanted in a way he can understand," and: "Have I made it rewarding for him to do it?"

One of the most liberating aspects of using positive reinforcement is that you, as a trainer, are no longer looking for things that your dog is doing wrong. You are, instead, actively looking for all the good things your dog does!

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

wan
K9 Maniac

Aug 5, 2006, 10:30 PM

Post #3 of 3 (770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Time for a Change of Philosophy? [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree with you. All these while I clicker to train whiskey and its all positive reinforcement.

At times when he bites stuff my natural reaction is to yell at him and spank him. But I realised that even if I beat him he will still repeat the same thing again. If dog were to understand that it is wrong when we yell or spank him naturally he will stopped cause he knows its not pleasing to his master. However, dog unfortunately is wired in a way that they only remember positive thing. Things that he is rewarding, things that he is praised they will tend to remember those. And will not remember that when he bite the shoes he will be spank. But of course when they're spank for many many times they will remember but it is not healthy and like you said it stresses them. And its not fun at all for both parties.

* ~ My Life Has Changed 23rd June 2008) ~ *

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my