IN

Home: Breed Specific: Gundog Group:
My Pup is too timid to get out of her cage

kaychia

Aug 2, 2006, 10:48 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2162 views)
Shortcut
My Pup is too timid to get out of her cage Can't Post

I just got my 12 weeks old golden retriever a week ago and she is too timid to get out of her cage. She seems to be afraid of everything and at every sound. She does not respond to our voice or her given name. She practically ignore us and is not playful at all like how a puppy should be. As she refused to get out of her cage and she also do not poo in her cage, we have to carry her to the garden to encourage her to poo. She will stuck her legs at the side to hold on to the cage. Some times, she will poo and some times she won't and when she does, she will poo everywhere! We are so exasperated with her and does not know what to make of her.

At first, we thought she has been to a bad owner earlier on and the petshop did not let us know. So, we try to pet her everyday and sayang her hoping that she will recognize us and respond. But till this date, she has yet to layan us. She will just eat, sleep, eat sleep for the whole day.

Is there something wrong with her?? Can someone tell me how to care for this puppy?

Kookee
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2006, 11:47 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaychia] My Pup is too timid to get out of her cage [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that means there is something wrong with her? I got her from the petshop in Taipan called the Paw Concerto. She seems very quiet when I first met her but we tot it should be ok since we dun want her to bark her heads off when she comes and stay with us later...But it is a bit too much when she never bark AT ALL! I heard she was quite active when in the pet shop and used to play with the boarders there...some are adult GR (bigger size than her) and also Labs. But still the pet shop owner told me that she is the quietest of the lot. BUT I never expect her to be soo...quiet. At first we suspected that she might be deaf? But then, she is scared everytime there is some lud sound...Which proofs that she can hear good enough? Then again, I think she must have been staying in the cage since born and that is y she dun like to get out of her cage?

Any idea how to treat her timidness? It has been more than a week now and my Bf is getting fedup with her behaviour. (My Bf loves GR too but cannot tahan Sandy's coldness towards us)

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
Heyah Kay,

You GRpup condition is way too high level for commoner like me. Since she just with you for a week, I can only suggest that you give her a bit more time to adapt. She is, after all, still a vulnerable puppy in a big big world. It takes getting use to new place, new faces and new-everything. Dun get frustrated so early on and be patient.

Are you spending enough time with her? We allocate at least 1-2hours daily with ours. That's for walks @ twice daily, feeding time, activities cum play time and the most important, hug-and-brush time. On weekend, my hubby bonds with furkids via jogging.

Is there probability Sandy would respond to toys (squeaky type) and treats? She seems to be very attached to her cage. Insecurity perhaps? Try luring her away from her cage for a duration of time. You walk her? Take her out for a short walk. Then slowly increase the walk time once she's comfortable with the routine. Ply her with praises and treats reward.

Paw Concerto sell a lot of GRs so I'm sure they are familiar with the background of their breeders and stocks. Give Sandy time...and loads of love!

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

kaychia

Aug 4, 2006, 6:33 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kookee] My Pup is too timid to get out of her cage [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kookee! Thanks for the advice. I am soo...relieved to hear that I bought her from a reliable petshop. Smile

As on spending time with her, I think that should not be a problem as we spend time with her everyday after work for more than 2 hours. That will be coaxing her to come out and play, feeding her, bring her to pee & poo and also staring at each other.

Yesterday, I decided to dismantle her cage for the time being as she always hide inside. Brought her into my room and watch tv with her. She finally put her head on my lap and let me pet her while I watch tv. Laugh. Finally...some sign of positive behaviour from her.

So, yesterday night, she sleeps in my room. The bad thing is, she peed in my room twice and I have to wake up in the middle of the night to clean her pee. And since my bedroom floor is parquet, I am really worried that the pee will seep into the wood and leave a stinking trail. Next time, she will pee at the same place again.Unimpressed So, I din manage to sleep much yesterday night.

But still, a big improvement in behaviour compared to few days back. So, I think maybe patients will pay off. I am not going to give up so easily on her!

A question tho, she seems to hiccups quite often. Is that normal? Tongue

Kookee
Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2006, 7:44 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaychia] My Pup is too timid to get out of her cage [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehhehhe! You are obviously suffering from new-mum syndrom. Well, Amanda also suggested pretty much the same ideas, luring and treating Sandy. I wouldn't mind Kookee lays down quietly for 30 sec. and we look devotedly into each other eyes for as long, heheheh!

It's pretty daring for you to resolve to such drastic measure as to dismantle her cage, her centre of universe. But good to hear of positive response from her. Maybe keeping her close to you work wonders. Try to gradually expose her to more things e.g. short walks around neighbourhood etc. How bout leave the TV on if you are not around, then she wouldn't be so lonely...loneliness brings out the worst in dogs.

On the peeing thingy, get a pen and lined the floor with newspaper. While you sleep, confine her in her pen but make sure it's near the same spot she likes to pee. To prevent seeping, line one sheet of plastic below the layers of newspaper. The newspaper would also keep her warm. You might want to leave her in the pen while you're at work. And now that she's use to your scent, leave your overnite shirt etc with her as security blanket. Not too worry about her not responding to her name yet. You would need to call her hundreds if not thousands time to get her to understand that Sandy is her name. Once she responds to you, reward her. Be patient, supportive and understanding....you would need them to help Sandy builds her self-confidence.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

kaychia

Aug 4, 2006, 8:04 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kookee] My Pup is too timid to get out of her cage [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha...probably u r rite. Maybe a little too sam kap also. On the play pen thingie, is it the gate thing that I saw in the petshop? But isn't the gate a bit light? She will be able to move and push it around everywhere? She is quite strong. Is it expensive?

I think I would really loike to try the idea of keeping a pen in my bedroon and laying down with neswpaper. But then, she will walk all over her pee and make herself dirty? She is doing that now. That will leave trails of her wet dirty paws all over the place.

kathleen.tay
Canine Addict

Aug 9, 2006, 2:25 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Be patient with her. She really need time to get use of the surrounding and also try training her to poo and pee in the garden. I have a GR too. She is quite coward when she hears loud noises. It's normal I think. Mr girl is going to be 3yrs this November but she is stil very scared of loud noises.

But you will really be rewarded once they are attached to you.. just like my girl, she stil thinks that she is 4 mths old.... Tonguehaha...
A Dog Never Lies About Love

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my