Home: Breed Specific: Hound Group:
deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info

danielle
Novice

Jul 28, 2006, 7:48 AM

Post #1 of 23 (2498 views)
Shortcut
deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info Can't Post

Hi! I'm thinking of getting my family a dog, most probably a beagle pup. Before that, I'd need to learn more about this dog, and I'm sure this is a good place where I can source most of the info I needed, rite? And I also wanna know how much a beagle puppy should cost in Klang Valley? (cert. & w/o cert.) Is it fine to get one from the ppl selling their pups on newspaper? worried of being conned..Laugh

babymun

Jul 28, 2006, 6:19 PM

Post #2 of 23 (2492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [danielle] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

hi danielle, u can call Dr. Dennis Lim 012-2181032. He is a breeder and stays in USJ, right now he got a few pups.

noname

Jul 28, 2006, 10:06 PM

Post #3 of 23 (2486 views)
Shortcut
Re: [danielle] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

beagle is a active dog and love to exercise a lot. nowadays, we will take our furkid out for walk at least once every 2 days. otherwise, he cant let go his/her energy.

it is always good to purchase the beagle from the breeder itself. much more cheaper than going to petshop... can save roughly at least RM500 and above. from what i observe, normally petshop selling around RM1200 to RM1600 (with cert) and lower than RM1200 - without cert.

if you can get from breeder itself, perhap is cheaper... subject to the quality of the puppy. if champion line and is a good breed, can be expensive but worth it.

if you have any problem with the puppy, do let's us know... we can help u.

tuckfook

Jul 29, 2006, 1:24 AM

Post #4 of 23 (2478 views)
Shortcut

Hi Danielle,

You've certainly come to the right place.

Beagle information is a plenty on the internet. Google Beagle and read as much as possible.

Basically, for the Beagle's wellbeing, you need space or you have to be very regular in taking it out for runs. It's a fairly obstinate dog but can be trained with a firm hand. This is in comparison to dogs like Labs. Poodles, GR etc.

With or without cert is really up to you. You cannot show the dog without MKA cert. in a MKA sanctioned show. Otherwise as far as pedigree is concerned, it is better to see the parents of the pup and then judge for yourself. The cert, in recent times, is no guarantee of pedigree. MKA tries it's best but there are too many crooked dealers out ther wanting a fast buck and judging from the many people who insist on certs, it is easy money for some.

Getting directly from a breeder is an advantage as you get to see the breeder's dogs etc. Pet shops might be convenient but most are only after the quick sale.

Newspaper ads is one of the many ways a breeder can get to let others know that they have litters available.

Always bear in mind, good parentage will not necessarily produce equally good pups. You get some good with the bad.

When buying a pup, it is very difficult to judge whether it will be show quality or not. You can guestimate the potential but then again it is not a guarantee. It takes a trained eye for a good guess.

Go look at the pup, from pictures of other Beagle pups, make a comparison and you should be able to tell if it is a beagle or not, that is if you cannot see the parents. Often buying a puppy is like love at first sight so pick the one you fall in love with.

Tuckfook.

billyli3
Novice

Jul 30, 2006, 12:30 AM

Post #5 of 23 (2468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tuckfook] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, tuck fook, you said that beagles need regular runs. Does it means that I can take it with me for regular jogging outings and all like that? Do you take your beagles out with you when you go for your hunts? What actually is thier purpose in such hunts? If the beagles are all for hunting? wouldn't "housing" it will a bad experience for the dog lf it is kept in the house all the time? Smile

My Gin...

tuckfook

Jul 30, 2006, 1:37 AM

Post #6 of 23 (2463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billyli3] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

Beagles would love to run with you.

Most times, if you do not take them on excercises, they get habitually lazy and get FAT. Like all animals, they adapt to the varying home conditions.

Confined homes depriving them of some excercise will make them bored, as with most dogs too. This is when they get busy with biting/chewing up anything available. This is a common problem with all dogs.

GSlover
Canine Addict

Jul 30, 2006, 7:57 AM

Post #7 of 23 (2455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tuckfook] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

Tuck Fook,

How come all my dogs are lazy to run with me? After 3 rounds of jogging around the playground, Tasha (cocker) would surrender, begging me to stop. Then Whoopy (beagle) will start begging for a stop after 6-8 rounds.

And each time I took them out for a walk, came back home they will sleep a lot until the next day. How come their energy level cannot sustain long? Is it because they are still puppies?

babymun

Jul 31, 2006, 12:59 AM

Post #8 of 23 (2443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GSlover] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

hi GSLOVER, not just urs, mine after 3-4 rounds, u pull him also he doesn't wan to walk...end up i will be carrying him...hehe

noname

Jul 31, 2006, 8:00 PM

Post #9 of 23 (2432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [babymun] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

beagle love to run and chase over something. so when they run until get tired, they will stop and rest... then continue again. same happen when timo & mocha chased one another until they get tired... they will sit down and rest.. then continue.

beagle has lot of energy but wont last long... i read it from the book. if you want them to run the miles with you, advise is slowly train them. maybe extra little bit per times... soon he/she will run with you.

billyli3
Novice

Aug 1, 2006, 2:05 AM

Post #10 of 23 (2425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noname] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

wow.. thanks... i would be great to take em for runs.. and all that...
Since, when you're running, its probably the best times to take your dog outdoors.
Smile

My Gin...

tuckfook

Aug 1, 2006, 4:59 AM

Post #11 of 23 (2418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GSlover] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

Overfed dogs get tired easily, just like humans. Also if running gets boring, they will likely also want to stop. They are not like humans driven by the urge to keep in shape. Dogs are not vain nor health concious.

Get your dogs something interesting to do and they'll keep going till they drop. Try hunting ! Set a rabbit free and they won't stop until they've got the critter...just joking ! If you want the dog to follow you on runs, run x country, not laps. I'm like them, I'll get bored to tears and start thinking of Nasi Kandar. Just in case the outstation people don't know, Penang is Nasi Kandar Heaven.

A dog is dog tired when the tongue hangs out and it'll not be able to retract the tongue until it has recovered. Recovery should be qiuck for most dogs. Pups do not have the endurance of adult dogs but by a year they should be close to peak.

Dry dog food is the other culprit ! Dogs need animal protein and many dry dog food contain vegetable protein. Use meat in the diet and you'll see the difference.

The time of day for excercise is also important. Black dogs absorb much of the sun's heat so it'll be much hotter for the dog than owner. Early mornings or late evenings when the sun is lower in the sky will be best. When it's hot, dogs like to sleep. Remember the saying, " Let sleeping dogs lie "

babymun

Aug 1, 2006, 5:50 AM

Post #12 of 23 (2416 views)
Shortcut

hi TF, does this mean i have to buy the can dog food to mix together with the dry food? timo is now six months old. How long have to wait before I can feed him wet and dry food?

tuckfook

Aug 1, 2006, 8:37 PM

Post #13 of 23 (2405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [babymun] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Dry food gives the dog mostly bulk. Just like humans must have fibre for bulk. As for the proteins, minerals, vitamins and carbohdrates, most dry dog food will contain as much as it says on the bag/box. Only problem is that the protein from which the dry foor is made is usually from plants, which because of the dog's digestive system, it will not derive maximum benefit from. Dry dog food also contains a lot of other things to help control the quality of stool the dog produces for smell, dryness etc. so it is less of a mess for the owners. So dry dog food is a matter of convenience for the owners, but not the best for the dog.

Since dogs are carniverous, they naturally eat only meat. Their digestive system is designed for meat.

Cooking of meat for dogs prevents the dog from getting any worms and bacteria that will affect the dog. Cooking destroys some of the nutrients available in raw meat.

So for any owner wanting top performance from their dogs, the best food must be made available. For most of us pet owners, dry food or a mixture of dry food and a meat stew will be good enough. Fighting dogs do better on raw meat, whereas guard dogs can do with just meat stew and occasional raw meat.

I hunt wild boar so I cook the wild boar meat into a stew and mix with dry dog food. Different amounts of fat in the meat, I notice, produces different consistency of the dog's stools. I try to balance that by using more dry food when the meat is fat. Pig skin and fat makes the dogs coat thicker and glossy. In general, the dogs are more active with more meat.

I have not used canned dog food for a long time. I'd guess it's the same as stew from the can. It'll save some time and work.

I feed my pups exclusively on meat and liver stew from as soon as they will take food other than the mother's milk, ie about 5 weeks onwards till they are about 7-8 weeks when I mix a little soaked dry food. I would continue meat only if my supply is enough. As they grow to about 4 months, I reduce the amount of meat otherwise they get too fat. It is also difficult to cook so much stew !

Dog nutrition can be based on human models, which is why organ meats are essential for pregnant dogs and pups. Cholesterol, folic acid etc. are very necessary in the development of pups, before and after birth.

So, if it is convenient, go give your dog a steak. Every sunday, my dogs get a T-Bone steak each

qstee
Novice

Aug 1, 2006, 9:13 PM

Post #14 of 23 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, tuckfook, so the steak u talking about, is it cook? i remember reading some other thread they say we shouldnt give the dog eat cook meat...so im kinda confused here.

If what u say is true, maybe i should stop feeding my dog dry food. i Only feed my dog dry food, and the dry food is actually pretty expensive. the dog is active but she always puke im not sure is that a normal sign...my mum says she always eat the grass when she go out....should we stop the dog from doin that? besides that, her poo got blood few days ago...but only happen once.

tuckfook

Aug 2, 2006, 5:44 AM

Post #15 of 23 (2391 views)
Shortcut
Re: [qstee] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, I'm just joking about the steak, I couldn't afford that ! I don't even feed myself that well.

Now to urgent matters. Blood in th Stool is urgent ! HOOKWORMS ! Dogs eat grass maybe because the worms irritate the system. The vomiting of white foamy stuff with the grass is also a sign of worms. Some Blood in the stools is a sure sign of hookworms. The stool will be slimy and soft with streaks of blood. Once there are hookworms, the bleeding in the stool does not go away. You don't see it because the stools dry up and blood becomes brown or black. Don't wait as it can only get worse.

Get a good deworming tablet, treat once and repeat after a few days. If your dog lives outdoors, treat(deworm) every month.

If after a full treatment and the dogs still has blood in the stools(check the fresh stools) then you must send the dog to the vet's. It could be something worse.

Raw meat is usually better in nutrients but it can give the dogs worms. Cooked meat has a little less nutrients but no worms. Tape worms is sometimes found in meat, there are also many other types of worms in meat, some of these are very difficult to get rid of. So I cook all my dogs' meat.

Go deworm your dog.

babymun

Aug 2, 2006, 6:40 AM

Post #16 of 23 (2390 views)
Shortcut

hi TF, u have any idea how to stop TiMO from eating his own poo? We are all frustrated already, donno what to do...hope you can share some tips with us..tx

qstee
Novice

Aug 2, 2006, 3:25 PM

Post #17 of 23 (2378 views)
Shortcut

Alright...that sounds serious, the dog always puke white foam...is there anyway to check whether there is hook worm? for example an x-ray or something? we do deworm the dog according to the vet.

Is hookworm fatal? i think better call my mum now.

tuckfook

Aug 2, 2006, 7:46 PM

Post #18 of 23 (2368 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Hookworm infection is usually not fatal. There is a loss of blood but if it gets worse, the dog will get tired easily(anemia). If after a long time and it is still not treated, of course the dog will die !

Hookworms are easily treated. De worming medicine for humans will also work on dogs. There is no danger of overdose, worst case, the dog gets sleepy for about a day.

The problem might be recurring as the larvae live in the ground and gets passed on to the dog and the eggs come out through the stools which get into the ground. The cycle is difficult to break as it is also naturally occurring.

Note that humans can also get hookworms, so walking barefooted in the garden which a dog has hookworm lives, is asking for an infection. Again even in humans it is easily treated. All dog owners should treat themselves for worms regularly.

Vets check for the eggs of worms in the stools but it is not necessary to check for any worms on a regular basis, just deworm on a regular basis. X-rays etc cannot detect worms.

A vet might recommend deworming every 3-6 months but if you dog goes outdoors it'll get the worms more often than that. I deworm every month or even less sometimes, depending on signs of worms. My dogs live outdoors all the time.

qstee
Novice

Aug 2, 2006, 10:28 PM

Post #19 of 23 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for ur advice, i asked my mum and she said she took a deworm jap which the vet claim can last for 9 months. i guess thats not enuff...she will get the pills for the dog.

tuckfook

Aug 2, 2006, 11:36 PM

Post #20 of 23 (2357 views)
Shortcut

I have not known of a deworm jab that works well. Maybe one that works against ticks, or heart worm but I'm not too sure of hookworm and round worms.

Tablets are about Rm3-Rm5.

noname

Aug 3, 2006, 1:55 AM

Post #21 of 23 (2353 views)
Shortcut

can go to any vet to purchase the deworm tablet. we just purchase few tablet and DIY for our furkid. 1 table = 10LBS (pound). so if your dog is 22 LBS, then use 2 1/4 tablet. just open your dog mouth and stuck the tablet into deep of the mouth and then close it. then dog will close and swallow it.

the vet told us to deworm our furkid every 3 months... no matter what. is large dog, every 2 months.

malice
Dog Kichi

Aug 3, 2006, 7:24 AM

Post #22 of 23 (2343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noname] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

I deworm my dog once a month by using heartguard and a jab once a year by Vets

noname

Aug 3, 2006, 6:43 PM

Post #23 of 23 (2335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [malice] deciding to get a Beagle puppy...need info [In reply to] Can't Post

jap is every once a year... deworm is depend to owner. some told me once a month and some once every 2/3 month. for me, i still stick to 3 months will do for deworm.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my