Humane Society

Veganology
Novice

Jul 25, 2006, 10:39 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2596 views)
Shortcut
Humane Society Can't Post

Hello everybody.

I trying to form a Humane Society in Malaysia. And I need some commited volunteers to join me in order to do this.

What is a Humane Society?

A humane society is a group that aims to stop human and nonhuman animal suffering due to cruelty or other reasons. But our focus will be more on animals in general, and not just dogs and cats alone. Moreover, helping animals is also helping humans. As the saying goes, Animal Liberation, is Human Liberation. However, please note that local humane groups like us are not related to the national groups such as the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), though most of our guide is going to be coming from them.

What's the difference?

Local Humane Societies are all around the world. Only the HSUS and the HSI (Humane Society International) are a national Humane Society. National organizations primarily work on big picture approach including research, public education and assisting local shelters and rescue groups like us. Local groups primarily handle the actual care (housing, adoption, investigation etc.,) on animals, but our programs will also include education and outreach to the public.

Now, if you agree to assist me, and in order that we can work together, you'd need to agree to this basic requirements described below:

We will work to reduce suffering and to create meaningful social change for animals by advocating for public policies to protect animals, investigating cruelty and working to enforce existing laws, educating the public about the issues, and conducting hands-on programs, such as assisting animals when disasters strike.

Our major campaigns target four primary issues:

1) factory farming,
2) animal fighting and other forms of animal cruelty,
3) the fur trade, and
4) inhumane sport hunting practices.

Our other campaigns take on puppy mills, the private ownership of exotic animal as pets, animal racing, and particularly unacceptable animal research and testing practices.

Our programs celebrate the benefits of the bond between people and animals who live with us or in our communities, and teach people how to solve human/animal conflicts humanely. And we provide direct care for thousands of animals at our sanctuaries, wildlife rehabilitation centers, and mobile veterinary clinics when we have all of this much later.

More will be added later as we grow... and when the need occurs, but basically, this is is fundamental agreement needed among volunteers of the humane society of malaysia.

For more information and to understand the work of a humane society, please visit:

www.HSUS.org

Thank you,

Nick Josh K. Karean
Humane Society Organizer
West Malaysia
P.S. In the selection of leaders, preference will be given to active & experienced *vegan volunteers.

*Vegan is an individual that recognizes that animals are not for humans to use as food, clothing, experimentation, entertainment and exploitation.

Veganology
Novice

Jul 26, 2006, 6:26 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veganology] Humane Society [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry. No websites at this moment of time. I would need people to join and start working on these and other aspects together as a team. All of which will be documented in minutes from the meetings we will be having. I can only get things running once I have a minimum of 7 individual volunteers. This is one the requirements that need to be fulfilled before a society or a non-profit organization can be legally registered.

To join, all you need to do is agree to things described above in the first post. And currently, I'm not looking for members. I am looking for humane society volunteers. Once we have a structure and registration is approved, I can start funding proposals. Leave that area to me. Right now, I just need committed leaders and volunteers. We would have to meet somewhere either my home, or any of the volunteers home, or I can even rent a community hall or something like that where we can have the meetings... It may not look much in the beginning, but most successful non-profit organizations has started this way. I'm just hoping that I can find suitable people to be part of history in the making of the Humane Society of Malaysia.

If you wish to join in this project, just email me your email address at veganology@care2.com and I'll let you know the updates of this project, the date and time the meeting is going to be held... Please also introduce yourselve in the email and let me know where you got to know about this project. Appreciate if you could also tell me the level of committment you can give, whether you are a Vegan and/or is open in learning the ways of the Vegan.

Thank you.
P.S. Here are some of the links of the online groups/forums/blogs that I host and have authored. I am using the avatar of a Vegan Bodybuilder, Robert Cheeke (Novice Champion, Northwest Division, International Natural Bodybuilding Association). Below it is also myspace.com and care2.com website profile if you like to know a little more about me:

MYSPACE
www.myspace.com/VEGANology

CARE2
my.care2.com/VEGANology

BLOGS
www.care2.com/c2c/share/sharebook/163022030

GROUPS
Humane Society of the United States/International
www.care2.com/c2c/group/HSUSI

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
www.care2.com/c2c/group/PETA

VEGANology-Vegan Education for a Humane Lifestyle
www.care2.com/c2c/group/VEGANology

Demanding Tougher Penalties for Animal Abuse
www.care2.com/c2c/group/malaysian_animal_abuse

Animal Liberation Front Supporters Group
www.care2.com/c2c/group/ALFSG

Veganology
Novice

Aug 13, 2006, 5:19 AM

Post #3 of 8 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Humane Society Project Update:

Looks like I have my minimum 7 members/volunteers to officially start this project's processes:

Please visit and join our first online group/forum at this link provided below:

www.care2.com/c2c/group/HSM

Thank you.

Nick

Humane Society Organizer

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 22, 2006, 7:46 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2505 views)
Shortcut

This is such an auspicious start ...

Before I would even think of joining your so-called humane society please explain the following:

" ... Nick Josh K. Karean
Humane Society Organizer
West Malaysia
P.S. In the selection of leaders, preference will be given to active & experienced *vegan volunteers.

*Vegan is an individual that recognizes that animals are not for humans to use as food, clothing, experimentation, entertainment and exploitation ..."

WHY is preference given to "active & experienced vegetarian"???

WHY does this so-called "HUMANE" society - begin by being biased and prejudiced???

Waalar ... so to be a member of your humane society, I must start by being biased, practice prejudice & discrimination ... against people who are kind & humane but eat chicken ... SOOOO FUNNY, it's embarrassing ... WinkBlushSmile

I thought the MISSION STATEMENT of a Humane Society is ...

" ... The mission of The Humane Society ... is to create a humane and sustainable world for all animals, including people, through education, advocacy, and the promotion of respect and compassion ..."

By the way - the "rule" that " ... In the selection of leaders, preference will be given to active & experienced *vegan volunteers ..." - is that your PERSONAL RULE or a rule of the Humane Society???

I have checked the www.HSUS.org website and can find nothing the says a Humane Society practices any form of biase, prejudice or discrimination ... but I could be wrong - so maybe you'd be kind enough to refer us to exactly where in the Constitution of the Humane Society it says that preference will be given to active & experienced vegetatrians and others are prejudiced against.

Or, maybe I will show this to the HSUS and get the answer directly ...TongueWink

" ... Our major campaigns target four primary issues:
1) ...
2) ...
3) ...
4) inhumane sport hunting practices ..."

SO - can hunt animals for sport but if eat chicken or beef - cannot be leader of society ... where lar got logic??? ... TongueWink

Cheers

Veganology
Novice

Aug 22, 2006, 10:15 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Humane Society [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your feedback Surchinmy.

Please understand that Local Humane Societies are all around the world. Only the HSUS and the HSI (Humane Society International) are a National Humane Society. National organizations primarily work on big picture approach including research, public education and assisting local shelters and rescue groups like us. Local groups like us primarily handle the actual care (housing, adoption, investigation etc.,) on animals, but our programs will also include education and outreach to the public. Also, Local Humane Societies mission statement and philosophy may defer from other Local Humane Societies or National Humane Societies.

Yes, I do agree that the statement does look biased and prejudiced. I wish I could edit and correct the manner it was conveyed and explain in detail what that meant but I there is no option for me to do that. Rest assured, it was not meant to be like that. Please accept our apologies and thank you for higlighting it.

By the way, Surchinmy, I like to inform you that the word "inhumane" means "not humane." So it means, we don't support anything inhumane or not humane. May it be a sport hunting or non-sport hunting, both can be considered inhumane (circumstancial).

We wish that you approach us in a more positive manner in providing constructive feedbacks so that we can improve rather than attacking us with such unreasonable accusations and insult. We are new and trying very hard to make our mission a success. Thus, we need people like your good self to be more supportive in our cause to help all animals.

For your added information, after checking matters both with the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and the Malaysian Registrar of Societies (ROS), both of them have strongly advised me that I cannot simply select anyone to become committee members or the board of directors for the Humane Society Malaysia simply because I want to hasten the registration process, as the wrong individual selected for a particular organization could collapse the structure and eventually destroy the organization even before it starts.

Thus, they have informed me that I must prepare a mission statement and the organization's philosophical views that must be read through, understood and agreed upon by all members that are going to be selected as Committee Members and Board of Directors.

Unlike in other countries, the Malaysian ROS wants me to elect committee members and board of directors who completely share all the organization's mission statement and philosophy of the Humane Society Malaysia before meeting them for registration and approval purposes.

As advised, I have prepared the Humane Society Malaysia’s Committee Membership Criteria and Basic Application Requirements. Thus, if you are staying or living in Malaysia and would like to be one of our Planning Committee Members for the Humane Society of Malaysia, please e-mail me at veganology@care2.com and request for an application form. The application form would also briefly describe on what is the HSM's basic criteria to be a Committee Member. However, please note that the application will only be approved based on your answers to some basic questions and to whether or not you are able to agree and accept the HSM's mission statement.

No worries, if you disagree with anything written in there as we all have the right to agree to disagee and move on peacefully. Some of you may not be able to agree with all of it, or may be some of it. Either way, the application will become void.

Becoming a HSM Committee Member and/or later elected to become the HSM Board of Directors is not the same as public membership support. While we do not expect much from the public in general other than to provide financial & moral support for the organization to help animals, and to understand the ethical issues concerning animal wellbeing which the HSM will address through the many programs and public outreach, committee members and board of directors however, are strictly to agree with everything the HSM stands for. The public can agree to some and disagree the rest, but CM and the BOD can't. The CM and BOD must agree to all, or they will face organization internal problems and the people in it won't be full hearted in all or any of their work.

Anyways, no matter what happens, always remember, a humane society starts with you.

Thank you and best regards,

Nick Josh K. Karean
HSM Organizer
Humane Society Malaysia
+012 259 5517
veganology@care2.com
www.care2.com/c2c/group/HSM

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 23, 2006, 12:00 AM

Post #6 of 8 (2475 views)
Shortcut

>>> *BIG LAUGHS* ... WinkSlyLaugh

I do love the statement: " ... By the way, Surchinmy, I like to inform you that the word "inhumane" means "not humane." So it means, we don't support anything inhumane or not humane. May it be a sport hunting or non-sport hunting, both can be considered inhumane (circumstancial) ...".

Hello ... hello ... I know what "humane" means ... me not stupid yet.

But I don't know what you mean by "circumstantial"??? ... How on earth can killing an animal FOR SPORT ever be humane???

So, by your logic ... can shoot a bear for a trophy BUT cannot use a bear trap??? ... I say - you think that got make difference to bear or not?

Can kill a bear for sport and be "leader" in Humane Society BUT cannot eat chicken? ... Such impeccable logic and reasonableness.

Anyways ... don lar blame the ROS ... not fair neh ...

Leaving all the play on words & politically correct statements behind ... WHAT YOU ARE REALLY SAYING is that ... the statement that "preferential treatment will be given to Vegans" is not constitutionally supported by any Charter or Constitution of the Humane Society ... BUT WILL IN FACT BE PRACTICED within the society.

And since the Humane Society does not disapprove of humane sport hunting - I guess it is okay for these Vegan Leaders to also "humanely" hunt for SPORT.

Wonderful ... OK ... I understand.

As for the request: " ... We wish that you approach us in a more positive manner in providing constructive feedbacks so that we can improve rather than attacking us with such unreasonable accusations and insult. We are new and trying very hard to make our mission a success. Thus, we need people like your good self to be more supportive in our cause to help all animals ..."

I will say this - practice what you preach ... because I am doing NO MORE & NO LESS than what you have done or posted previously, making allegations, criticising and insulting others without facts and ... more important ... without any attempt to understand the effort and energy freely given by so many (who you casually insult) for so many years (way before you came along) ... to help animals.

Just read what you posted: " ... While we do not expect much from the public in general other than to provide financial & moral support for the organization to help animals, ... committee members and board of directors however, are strictly to agree with everything the HSM stands for. The public can agree to some and disagree the rest, but CM and the BOD can't. The CM and BOD must agree to all, or they will face organization internal problems and the people in it won't be full hearted in all or any of their work ..."

So ... what that means is that the Malaysian public provide the money BUT the Committee Members comprised of Vegans rule the roost. And the Vegans allow no dissention within the ranks ...

OK, I understand that ... sounds like a dictatorship to me ... CrazyWinkSmile

And obviously - you don't really have much respect for the Malaysian public, do you? Suggest you study the quote you use from Mathama Gandhi ...

Cheers

Veganology
Novice

Aug 23, 2006, 12:41 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Humane Society [In reply to] Can't Post

All right. You seem not to understand our position and our statement.

And we would appreciate it if you stop twisting our words. We never said you can shoot a bear for a trophy BUT cannot use a bear trap. We don't support any form of torture or killing.

We mean "circumstantial" to express that certain places like the north pole do not have vegetation. Thus, for survival, people have to hunt. Though, we prefer if it's done humanely, meaning that death of an animal should be instantaneous or quick.

I like to apologies to everyone if any of my statement has caused misunderstanding. I would also like to thank Surchinmy for making us realize that my invitation being done online e.g., like this public forums is a big mistake that has made us look really small. I will contact the administrator of this forum to remove or delete all of my posts.

Thank you.

P.S. Like I said earlier, I wish I could edit and correct the manner it was conveyed and explain in detail what that meant but there is no option for me to do that. Rest assured, it was not meant to be like that. Please accept our apologies and thank you for highlighting it. Also, please understand that we are new in all of this, and are bound to make some mistakes. No ones perfect and we are all constantly learning the ways we can serve to help the animals in best possible ways.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 23, 2006, 12:58 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2456 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

Sorry ... but I don't twist words ... let's have a look at the so-called Mission Statement which reads:

" ... Our major campaigns target four primary issues:
1) ...
2) ...
3) ...
4) inhumane SPORT hunting practices ..."

Surely the above must mean that your society DOES NOT DISAPPROVE of "humane" sport hunting practices ... WHY??? Maybe because the sport hunting faternity in USA is too big & maybe too dangerous to disfranchise ...

By the way - Eskimos hunting for food does NOT QUALIFY as SPORT HUNTING! ...

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my