Plan to buy a companion for my silky

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

babymiki
Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2006, 7:25 PM

Post #1 of 28 (2494 views)
Shortcut
Plan to buy a companion for my silky Can't Post

i have a 7 months old female silky at home. the other day i went to this pet shop the owner advise me to get another companion for germaine (my silky) as she will feel very lonely if she's alone. i was wondering about the age gap if they were to mate, is it okay if their age gap is of 1 year or more?

Frown*~Germaine's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

Frown MY Friendster BlushFrown

FrownI love my darlings Germaine, the Silky Terrier and Meeko, the Miniature SchnauzerFrown

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 14, 2006, 8:09 PM

Post #2 of 28 (2489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [babymiki] Plan to buy a companion for my silky [In reply to] Can't Post

get another female lah.... but ah, from experience... age gap of 2 years and more is better. Less likely to fight over dominance and attention.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

babymiki
Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2006, 9:16 PM

Post #3 of 28 (2483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Plan to buy a companion for my silky [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm i have thought of buying a male..but after seeing the consequences of getting pregnant can danger the mummy dog..im thinking twice..

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

FrownI love my darlings Germaine, the Silky Terrier and Meeko, the Miniature SchnauzerFrown

babymiki
Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2006, 9:24 PM

Post #4 of 28 (2481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Plan to buy a companion for my silky [In reply to] Can't Post

and if i plan to buy a male to breed ..wut is the age age gap?

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 15, 2006, 6:27 AM

Post #5 of 28 (2469 views)
Shortcut

Wah, better don't breed... yah, it dangers the female and puppies... sometimes complications can lead to loss of pups... get female loh.... To me it is much better when we get a companion for our dog rather than getting a mate.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 15, 2006, 4:54 PM

Post #6 of 28 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Breeding dog not just putting a male & female together then you can get puppies. Is more complicated than you think it is.

If you don't want to end up with more & more puppies in the future. My advice to you better get a female dog to be your current dog companion not Male dog (like wat crazymouse told you).

babymiki
Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2006, 6:21 PM

Post #7 of 28 (2466 views)
Shortcut

hmmm what about getting another female of a different breed? e.g miniature schnauzer?Frown

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 16, 2006, 2:12 AM

Post #8 of 28 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Any breed also good heheheh.... boxers and labradors can get along. My friend has poodle and MS.... some friends got beagle and shih tzu... it can be any breed and they will be the best companions. Of course it may take awhile for your dog to adjust living with a new puppy and there may be some jealousy and barkings, but later, they will become playmates. Since your current pup is female, get another female pup sure no problem.

I own male and female dogs.... but all spayed and neutered Frown

babymiki
Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2006, 5:25 PM

Post #9 of 28 (2456 views)
Shortcut

Frown I think i'm gonna look for a companion when she's 1 year old. Otherwise i have to train 2 dogs at once Tongue

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

wan
K9 Maniac

Jul 17, 2006, 7:47 PM

Post #10 of 28 (2451 views)
Shortcut

Sorry babymiki I need to tumpang your thread a while. Hope you dont mind. Blush

crazymouse_yyh - I got a beagle and let say i buy a chihuahua u think that beagle will get along with chiahuahua or not? Is it a bad combination of companion since i feel wawa looks really small and might not be able to play with beagle. What do u think ?

* ~ My Life Has Changed 23rd June 2008) ~ *

babymiki
Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2006, 8:34 PM

Post #11 of 28 (2447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wan] Plan to buy a companion for my silky [In reply to] Can't Post

ShockedFrown haha tumpang as much as u want Frown crazymouse is MS's level of jealousy high? haha Silky or MS tend to be more jealous?

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 18, 2006, 12:24 AM

Post #12 of 28 (2438 views)
Shortcut

Oh.... how dominant is your beagle? Hmmm... the combination is not that bad but if your beagle is dominant and rough, it could cause some play trouble heheheh....

Have you socialized your beagle before with other dogs? How does he react? If he sniffs them, play along and never growl, should be ok for you to get a chi but always supervise them during play coz beagle still bigger than chi and we all know that chi got big head and courage of a lion, he will want to challenge any bigger dog anytime hahahah...

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 18, 2006, 12:30 AM

Post #13 of 28 (2437 views)
Shortcut

well, all dogs can develop jealousy.... My friend has a silky and MS and they both go very well. I would say MS like more attention and they are very active, can be hyper sometimes.

wan
K9 Maniac

Jul 18, 2006, 12:43 AM

Post #14 of 28 (2433 views)
Shortcut

I dunno whether he's dominant or not. I bring him 1st time he met with other dogs at dog olympic day and he foam like crazy and so timid and scared. after 3 hours there still avoiding all dogs.

2nd time, bring him to dog boarding house he also foam but better. When he really stay there for few days he's ok with those adult dalmations and see from photo he's playing.

3rd time that was most recent we had beagle gathering. Other beagle all play like crazy he was standing there looking at them. Being chase by them but he just ran and looked scared with tail down. But he didnt growl. Then when everybody is tired and settled down he wanted to hump on the rest liao. They all about same age from 5 months - 7 months.

At home he's quiet a gentle boy. If we play rough of course he also rough lah. So depends. Some say he's anti-social, some say he timid i also dunno. Could say he warm up very slow with other dogs so far.

So from here can u evaluate? Hahahah...

Btw, do u have a beagle as well ?

(This post was edited by wan on Jul 18, 2006, 12:46 AM)

babymiki
Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2006, 1:35 AM

Post #15 of 28 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Crazy When i bring Germaine to social with other dogs, she's very kay-poh one, sniffing around. Whenever she sees other dogs she likes to step on people. the other day i brought her to this pet shop for grooming session, there were 3 poodles, 1 papillion and 1 maltese. She bully the maltese..using her leg to step on Tigger (Maltese). She can be very active at times but when nobody is there to play with her, she'll go sleep Unsure pity her

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 18, 2006, 6:53 PM

Post #16 of 28 (2420 views)
Shortcut

i'm thinking wat d pet shop owner intention of asking u to get another dog......did he actually wan 2 earn more money from u? or mayb he's juz trying to be a great animal lover......

getting another dog will require more task for d owner....more poo 2 pick up, more food 2 buy n is harder to train 2 dog @ a time....

if u wan 2 get another dog....make sure your current dog is well-trained....or mayb well-behaved....

not every dog enjoy having a playmate @ home, eventhough they like to play wit other dogs during socializing session....

plz dun hv d thinking tat ur dog is feeling lonely @ home.....dogs spent 2/3 of their life sleeping..... n when u reach home...she wanted to get all ur attention.....imagine having 2 wait for u arriving....n then onli 2 find out tat there's another dog around....

unless u really love 2 have more dogs....then u might as well get urself another puppy....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Jul 18, 2006, 7:06 PM)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 18, 2006, 8:57 PM

Post #17 of 28 (2413 views)
Shortcut

hmm.... too many dogs makes him timid and scared... well, I suggest you let your beagle get a 1 to 1 meeting first. Maybe if you have a friend who has another breed of dog, let your beagle socialize with just 1 dog first. If all goes well, then try let your friend bring her dog into your home... if you dog never become protective with aggression problem, then green light for you to get a 2nd dog lah.

How old is your beagle? If about 2 years old then it is ok to get a 2nd dog... normally dogs with age gap of below 2 years old can have dominance problems when they are older.... coz I kena before and my friend too.

Oh, I don't have beagleBlush I got 2 boxers, 1 lab and 1 ckcs.Tongue

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 18, 2006, 9:03 PM

Post #18 of 28 (2411 views)
Shortcut

Hahah.... she is still young I guess. Do let her socialize more and when she is about 2 years old, you'd be ready for another.

babymiki
Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2006, 12:35 AM

Post #19 of 28 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Frown Amanda could be right. How many dogs do you have? Blush Seriously, at first I thought the pet shop is seriously an animal lover. The other dya i bought one skirt for Germaine, then she help me to try on Germaine, The skirt was super duper tight for her and she keep struggling to fit the dress onto Germaine. =/ I only found out that the dress doesnt fit when i went home. Unsure I felt bad

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

(This post was edited by babymiki on Jul 19, 2006, 12:38 AM)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 19, 2006, 7:48 AM

Post #20 of 28 (2391 views)
Shortcut

LOL.... I got 4... It really is hard to care for so many dogs.... coz each wants attention. Anyway, my family is around so all the dogs get equal attention. If there is no one around but you, 2 dos would be ok lah.... but if more than that can pengsan. Also, like what I said earlier, best if get after 1st dog is age 2 years and above then it will only go smoothly.

Har? Skirt doesn't fit? HEhehe.... I only buy baby clothes for my dogs coz can't afford dog clothes, all over priced and baby clothes can get below RM10 for really cute and nice shirts. Better you get a refund or exchange since it can't fit your GermaineTongue

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 19, 2006, 6:02 PM

Post #21 of 28 (2387 views)
Shortcut

i only own 1 dog @ a time....i wish 2 hv more.... but i know that will be more task....n my pacco doesn't like 2 hv another brother or sister in her own territory....

i knew it when my uncle's dog arrive @ my house.... my uncle happen 2 bring back home a Boxer for my grandpa....

eventhough tat dog, Hero is big n looks agressive....but he actually a very silly dog....my pacco tends to bully him alwiz....she even attempt to hump on him....imagine a slim female humping on a big boxer!!

n after they spent a year 2gether.....pacco still don't like him......she doesn't like 2 go for walk wit him...duwan 2 share food...when Hero disturb her or ask her to play.....she bark or even snap @ him....so they ended up being separated....weekdays = pacco : cage/compound , Hero : balcony/garden. weekends = pacco : living room, Hero = at d balcony looking in2 d living room

so i find out tat....pacco like 2 be d onli dog...n i'll accept her as my onli dog...

yeah....dog clothes r expensive....but nonetheless so i still happen to buy a few....n sometimes my mum tailor made for her...

n i like d seasonal feel...............world cup fever!

chinese new year clothing....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Jul 19, 2006, 6:05 PM)

wan
K9 Maniac

Jul 19, 2006, 7:45 PM

Post #22 of 28 (2378 views)
Shortcut

wah ... u got so many dogs .... I think I will pengsan...

after thinking... i better stick to your advise wait after he's 2 years old see how...

now he only going 7 months..

Maybe 1 dog is good also not necessary they want companion like what amanda said.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 20, 2006, 1:56 AM

Post #23 of 28 (2368 views)
Shortcut

Yups.... can pengsan hahaha....

See how lah your dog goes. Coz I had bad experience with 1 year age gap. So far the boxers cannot mix so I seperate them as they both are equally dominant. Dogs enjoy being the only dog in your eyes.... lol.... but some dogs like to have others around coz dogs generally are pack animals.

So the best thing to do now is socialize your dog now as much as you can. Then when he turns 2 or 3 years old, you can intro another pack member. I got this tip from a dog care book lah. So best is a 2 to 3 year age gap.

Funny how some dogs like to be the ONLY dog....Amanda's Pacco is one hahaha.... and Pacco also like 1 human dog, won't let me pat herFrown so better to test your dog first and see how possesive he is over territory.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2006, 7:49 PM

Post #24 of 28 (2360 views)
Shortcut

pacco can recognize ppl wan le....she usually dun let stranger to pat her....

she like pey shy n mun yee d most....

when i bring her out....once she saw groovy around.....she'll get excited...but not bcoz she like groovy.....is becoz she likes mun yee....i discover tis during an outing when suddenly pacco get so crazy n start jumping...i wonder wat she saw....then i realize mun yee had juz arrive.....then pacco keep pulling on d leash n wanted to ran across to her.....funny though....

n during weekly jungle trekking when pey shy arrive wit her 2 dogs....pacco oso get crazy....but she's not interested in her dogs too....she juz wanted pey shy to hug her....Crazy

btw...pacco got socialize a lot le...i bought her to k9 day when she's onli 2 months old...n keep bringing her to join so mant activities....i think her appearance in dog activities is a record! but she's still like tat...wat do to....

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Jul 21, 2006, 8:01 PM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2006, 7:55 PM

Post #25 of 28 (2357 views)
Shortcut

to me, i onli plan to get my 2nd dog when pacco reach her senior age....or mayb when she become less active....

i believe tis could gv her more mind stimulation by having a puppy in d house....n pacco can oso help me 2 educate d puppy...

but ofcoz, i know tat senior dogs wanted to hv their own resting time witout being interfere....so i'll becareful wit tat n probably let pacco had her own resting place...

i oso had tis bad experience wit my aunt 7 year old fox terrier..... when my 3 months old kinki arrived, she's a very playful puppy ofcoz....everyday oso disturb d terrier....n went to steal his food... n ended up, d terrier not onli bully her but snap on her face....n kinki ended up got wound near her eye n neck.....Frown (due to my lack of experience)

i think i should hv supervise them n let them hv play time together but not let them together during d whole day....it must had be too stressful for d terrier.....

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Jul 21, 2006, 7:56 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my