Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
i really really need help... and my puppy too

Ruben
New User

Jul 6, 2006, 10:34 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1125 views)
Shortcut
i really really need help... and my puppy too Can't Post

after years and years of wanting a puppy i finally got a super cute puppy... besides months of finding the right breed of puppy (shih tzu) for me i jus fell in love wit elvis(my dog) the moment i saw him.Elvis is now 8 months old and the problem we face is that i jus can get him doing his buisness in his cage constantly... i somehow manage to get him pee in his cage wen he was about 5 to 6 months old. lately he is jus messing up the whole house... he either does his buisness at the backyard or in his cage all this while but lately elvis is pee-ing the whole house...i called up a friend and ask how to get over this problem, he told me that some shih tzu are stuborn so they should get smacked for thier wrong doings there and then...on the contrast, i read over a few websites that beating a puppy is like a NO.... so which is right and wrong cause i need help imediatly or the neighboors will be moving out cause of the terrible smell... help me plz

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 6, 2006, 4:36 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ruben] i really really need help... and my puppy too [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ruben,

Yes.....Hitting the pup is a NO. you mean all this while u let ur pup pee in his cage? does he sleeps in there too? by nature, pup/dog don usually pee at the place where they sleeps.....

well...i cant help that much coz i am still in the midst of housetraining my pup too...sorry....

however, what i can tell you is determine a place for your pup to do his business. and each time when he wakes up, after meal, after play or before sleep, bring him to the place to do his business. Use a regular word like 'do your business' or 'pee' etc......repeat the process....after a while your pup will know how to relate the word with the action as well as know which place to do his business.

however, accidents might still happen. each time accident happens and if u manage to catch him in the act, said a 'NO' to him.....but if you only realise the accident after the act, then just clean up the place lo......even if u scold him at this point, he won understand anythg at all....and if does thing rite....praise him like you never did before....give him some treats....

this is basically one of the way u can housetrained him.......i learned that housetraining needs a lot of patience.....n sometimes it might take longer than a month to housetrain a pup...esp now that your pup is 8 mths old, it might be difficult to break his habit...however, through patience and persistence, i am sure you will be able to train your pup....

cherrio.......enjoy housetraining

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Ruben
New User

Jul 7, 2006, 3:14 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] i really really need help... and my puppy too [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you so much jessica,
usualy me or one of my family members will do the cleanin once he does his job in the cage,,, and he hates sleeping in his cage..is it because he does his buisness there? i mean we do clean it...the problem is i neva manage to catch 'in act' doing his buisness, its usually after... and i also realise he only does his buisness in the dining room.. i know he is a poor little inocent puppy, i really really want him to do his buisness else where in his cage or the backyard,,,but not the dining room...thank you sop much again jessicaooh...
-Ruben-

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 7, 2006, 6:32 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ruben] i really really need help... and my puppy too [In reply to] Can't Post

hi..you are welcome...perhaps he considers his cage as 'being locked up'....mayb next time, you can put some treats in the cage and ask him to go in.....leave the door open...let him go in and out freely....and each time he goes in, give him treat.....soon he will realise that the cage is a fun place....u leave him in the cage all the time? how big is the cage? during night, he sleeps in there too?

my sasha will sleep in her crate...and in the morning, when i am not around, i will put her in a playpen instead....big enuf for her bed as well as place to eliminate....so, now each time at nite, when is bedtime, she will know that she will need to go in her crate....and she luvs it....but of course, if i leave her in her crate in the morning or afternoon, she will bark....heheheehehhe....

u hv to make your pup thinks that the crate is a fun/resting place for him.....it is best if you don leave him in the crate for too long...let him walk around the house..or bring him for a walk....at least he has some exercise and don feel neglected/separated from the family.....

and yes...mayb one of the reason he does not like it is that he has to sleep, play and eliminate all at the same place......if this continue, it will become a bad habit to him....dog by nature does not like to sleep at the place where he eliminates.....

hope this helps.....Cool

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

(This post was edited by jessicaohh on Jul 7, 2006, 6:46 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my