Hi...i need help with my Mini Schnauzer skin

ickc
Novice

Jun 16, 2006, 5:44 PM

Post #1 of 23 (11395 views)
Shortcut
Hi...i need help with my Mini Schnauzer skin Can't Post

Hi all...

in my desperation to help my mini schanuzer...i discovered this web...u're all my last hope.....my name is Iris and i live in Penang. I have a 4.5 yr old black and silver mini schauzer. She developed some serious skin problem. First, i discovered white flaky spots on her bod and the flakes were like dandruff. Then it developed inot red spots and blotches all over and at one time when i was away on busines strip to China, my mom called and said my mini was bleeding all over....she had scratched the red spots and blotches till it bled!!! I took her to Peng Aun...no hope. I took her to Gill where they put her on 6 months treatment on anti fungal and antibiotic...each time the anti biotics stop, her condition came back. She nearly died due to taking antibiotics for such a long time without stopping. The anti fungal and antibiotics cost me a bomb but that's not the issue. She's been free of skin condition for 2 months, now it's back again! Her smell has changed too....she skin smells like rusty iron instead of the sweet smell.....

I've changed her dog food to lamb and rice from Japan, i tried every type of food in the market form Eukanuba to dun know what brand, plus put her on evening primrose oil, my groomer said very good, but it doesn't help. Now i put a cone on her for 1 month oredi but i don't think it's the solution. Gill also give up oredi....what should I do....her fur is also patchy now...HELP me somebody or i think my dog will just die of the skin disease.....now she bite her paws so much and her skin is all pink in colour....HELP!!!pleaseeeee.....is there a really good vet out there who can help???

Irina
Novice

Jul 29, 2006, 12:11 AM

Post #2 of 23 (11345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ickc] Hi...i need help with my Mini Schnauzer skin [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

How's ur doggy now?

I have been surfing the net with regards to skin itching, schnauzer bumps and allergies for my Miniature Schnauzer coz he has been developing red bumps and is currently losing hair at the spots he gnaws on... I do not know if this will help but will share with you anyway...

1. One posting on an overseas forum shared that using Listerine will help alevate the itch on the dogs skin. I am currently trying this out but so far no results yet. Just hope my dog doesnt get an overdose by his constant licking.. Another stated that Corn flour will help also.

2. If there are dandruff problem, Selsun Blue can help. Havent tried this one out yet though so maybe you can get some other advise. My trainer is using a formulation called Dezol (spelling could be wrong) for his dogs.. Its a human shampoo and u can get it from the pharmacy. He says its good for dandruff and will prevent infection of the skin if there are wounds..

3. What about trying Purina for Sensitive skin? My dog is currently eating Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken but I am afraid that this could be the cause of his allergies. Am switching to Purina next and see if the itching stops.

4. Fish oil? Maybe u can try feeding your dog some Cod Liver oil? I heard that it helps with dry and senstive skin... My cousin feeds her cocker spaniel this fish oil capsule she buys from the chinese medical shops coz the dog has serious skin allergies and has clumps of hair and skin falling off. It sorta worked together with the meds the vet gave after some time... Give it a thought...

5. Have u consulted other vets? maybe if u have the time, u can bring ur MS to UPM. The vets there are quite good : )

Don't know if any of this will help but good luck...

ckim
Novice

Aug 28, 2006, 6:25 PM

Post #3 of 23 (11292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ickc] Hi...i need help with my Mini Schnauzer skin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Help My Mini Schnauzer - Skin Problem

I may have the same problem as ickc. Three days ago I sent my JJ for grooming at the local pet shop, she have been groomed JJ twice before at the same shop. However this time JJ came back with lots of red patches at her legs and under her chin around the neck area and it looks very raw and red.

After the last grooming i discovered a patch on her body that looks like dandruff with flakes. Till now the patch remain the same but with more flakes.

I though of using the selsun blue on her but scare she may lick the selsun. I dont know what to do with the raw skin areas. I have not consult the Vet! - very very expensive and lots on anti fungal this and antibiotic that and each time she is on all these anti stuff she ends getting all pee and poo time mixed.

Anyone out there who can help???

lovememore
Novice

Sep 4, 2006, 5:37 AM

Post #4 of 23 (11247 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

just hang around and knew tat your mini schnauzer had some skin problems, i do have a mini schnauzer and have the same problems like your dog when i adopt her back......maybe i can help you on this..

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 9, 2006, 4:29 AM

Post #5 of 23 (11224 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to hear about the dog. My schnauzer had a similar problem when she was very young 8-12 weeks. Dandruff, clumps of hair coming off, bald patches, then red blobs. The vet stuck ivermectin into her (to zap some hypothetical fungal infection), gave me some steroidal or antibiotic cream to apply; on my own initiative I also applied gentian violet (zaps fungus), I even tried some lemon thingy (you can get the recipe if you did a search here in the forum), and I switched her kibble (she was on science diet), and at one point I even barfed her.

Anyway, her condition resolved and I still don't know what the problem was or what it was that worked. I personally think it is a bad idea to put a dog on long term antibiotic and antifungal treatment at the same time. If it's a bug, then kill it with an antibiotic; if it's a fungus, zap it with ivermectin or some other funguszapper. But both at the same time, ugh.

I hazard a guess here and assume the vet prescribed the antibiotics to 'cover' secondary, opportunistic bacterial infection from the scratch wounds. I'm not convinced of the wisdom of this.

If it's a food allery that's causing the problem, then you can stuff the dog with any amount of antifungal, antibacterial, antiwhatnots and the only thing you'll be zapping will be your bank account.

Surely a good vet can do a scraping to rule out or confirm a fungal infection and then focus on zapping the fungus if it is a fungal infection instead of indiscriminately hurling an arsenal of drugs at the poor animal. Once you've ruled out fungal infection and other parasites, you can then focus on devising a non-allergenic diet. Not an easy task to be sure, but probably the most reasonable path to follow.

Have you tried rubbing raw aloe vera onto the affected areas?

I hope things go well for the dog.

lovememore
Novice

Sep 14, 2006, 7:19 AM

Post #6 of 23 (11195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Hi...i need help with my Mini Schnauzer skin [In reply to] Can't Post

i have been told tat most of the mini schnauzers will have skin problems, is it true??? when i have my dog back, she has really serious skin problems too. the vet gave me malaseb shampoo and sulfur cream to apply. i wash my dog everyday just like i use my skin care product , and she recovered from tat.therefore, i need to take really good care of my dog and everytime after bath, i will spray fungus oil on her body.only by doing this, my dog can free from skin problems. the sulfur cream is really good and also, it is so cheap.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 14, 2006, 3:03 PM

Post #7 of 23 (11192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovememore] Hi...i need help with my Mini Schnauzer skin [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I have heard this too. Miniature Schnauzers have a genetic predisposition towards skin problems. I don't know what it is or what I did (if at all) that helped mine overcome hers, maybe it's just a thing she grew out of. One thing we can do (this is really a given) is to provide the dog the optimum conditions for her well-being - that means giving her proper food, sufficient exercise, grooming, companionship &c &c. This might possibly already minimise the likelihood of her developing any serious skin conditions.

lovememore
Novice

Sep 19, 2006, 10:05 PM

Post #8 of 23 (11172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Hi...i need help with my Mini Schnauzer skin [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, other than proper exercise,food and grooming, have to always keep the dog clean and dry too , spcially the paws and the face. most of the fungals starts from there. Tongue

bkslee
Novice

Nov 16, 2006, 5:59 AM

Post #9 of 23 (11064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovememore] Hi...i need help with my Mini Schnauzer skin [In reply to] Can't Post

My MS is 9weeks old and started to have this kind of condition and I found it worsen as compare to last week. now got few dots with flake on top of body.

about the malaseb shampoo and sulfur cream, can i get it from the petshop? or must get it from the vet. the sulfur cream is apply on the spot?
My dearest Minnie

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Nov 16, 2006, 5:35 PM

Post #10 of 23 (11063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bkslee] Hi...i need help with my Mini Schnauzer skin [In reply to] Can't Post

Get from petshop. The sulphur cream is topical - apply on the affected parts.

Above all, feed her well; experiment with her diet until you find something that's good for her; and keep her clean and dry.

All best.

bkslee
Novice

Nov 17, 2006, 2:05 AM

Post #11 of 23 (11060 views)
Shortcut

Hi all,
Today i when to the pet shop to source for the shampoo n dog food. They also have 3 MS for sales which also suffer from this condition. Last nite I read a website said that this skin condition is inherit in MS and cannot eat food containing "Corn".

www.qsl.net/w5www/schnauzer.html

So the taman mega pet shop personel recomment me to use Addiction brand food. It's only contain vege and not meat and corn. And it's highly recommended good for the skin.

About the shampoo, he recommended me to use TRISEB which also contains KETACONAZLE, a antifungal agent. I'm a medical sales person so i know all this. This is the same chemical in the DECOL/NIZORAL shampoo which found in the pharmacy to threat dandruff and dermatitis. But I think DeCOL is far more cheaper then this TRISEB, mayb it's imported, wondering human shammpoo can be use in dog or not. Frown
It's also contains Chlorhexidine which is a broadspectrum anti-bacteria which mean kill everything! Frown

I will start shampooing her today, twice weekly. I'll update the result later.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Nov 17, 2006, 4:15 AM

Post #12 of 23 (11056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bkslee] Hi...i need help with my Mini Schnauzer skin [In reply to] Can't Post

Haiyoh, kill everything. After dog ohso mati.

bkslee
Novice

Nov 17, 2006, 6:26 AM

Post #13 of 23 (11054 views)
Shortcut

hehe... died buy a new one lor... wakaka...

BTW, how come my MS ear the whole ears drop down one? I saw 3 MS is pet shop today, they ears is the top half drop down only. the bottom half that connect to the head is tegak one wor... issit my MS a lousy breed ar? I think so la.. got a lot white hair spot on body also, body also fat, the petshop said my ms oversize. Unsure
My dearest Minnie

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Nov 17, 2006, 6:31 AM

Post #14 of 23 (11052 views)
Shortcut

white spots on black body is reverse dalmatian lah.

lovememore
Novice

Nov 21, 2006, 7:46 PM

Post #15 of 23 (11040 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
white spots on black body is reverse dalmatian lah.

My MS suffered from red spots again..the vet took the "dandruff" for test and he said tat is fungal...he advised me every time after i bath my dog, make sure my dog is completely dry.... i still apply the sulphur cream on the red spots...by the way, wat kind of dog would you recommend so it reduce the chances of getting skin problems???

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Nov 21, 2006, 8:10 PM

Post #16 of 23 (11039 views)
Shortcut

Haiyoh, you mean you're going to get rid of your min schnauzer and get another dog that's less prone to skin problems?!

zarinsj
Novice

Nov 22, 2006, 2:49 PM

Post #17 of 23 (11034 views)
Shortcut

Last year we rescued a GSD with terrible skin problems( some of you may remember him, he was following some walkers down from Gasing Hill). He was covered in scabs and areas that were not covered in scabs, oozed. I took him to the vet. I was told to wash him with Malasab shampoo. The vet also told me to keep the fungus/ yeast infection at bay, I was to use a mix of apple cider vinegar and water. Today he looks like a show dog!

lovememore
Novice

Nov 23, 2006, 6:46 PM

Post #18 of 23 (11026 views)
Shortcut

hey........of cos not!!! i've been taking care of this dog for 4 years,,,,all i wannna to know is the best way to reduce the chances of her to get the fungal problems only...... someone told me that sea weed powder will be good for them??? my another dog, a 2 months old chihuahua, now having his fur dropped.. is he changing his fur??? i have no experince in taking care of a chihuahua....pls consult......thanks....

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Nov 23, 2006, 6:59 PM

Post #19 of 23 (11024 views)
Shortcut

If the problem is fungus, try Gentian Violet. It helps.

lovememore
Novice

Nov 24, 2006, 6:27 AM

Post #20 of 23 (11016 views)
Shortcut

thanks a lot.......

CelestianSnow
New User

Dec 3, 2006, 12:09 PM

Post #21 of 23 (10987 views)
Shortcut

it did happen on my little schnauzer last time...it's like dandruff...and it always bites the place that

have red spot...i go check with doctor...doctor said that schnauzer it's always like that....just buy some medical for schnauzer(skin sensitive) then everything it's ok...

teejin61
Novice

Dec 20, 2006, 9:09 AM

Post #22 of 23 (10917 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I read about your schnauzer skin problems, maybe I can give some suggestion.

My 2 MS has the same problems, their skin have red blotches, like acnes and smells terrible. It is a kind of skin allergy and they can develop into infection. It will develope into serious hair folicle infection.

My dogs was on antibiotics and anti fungal medication for a long time (on & off), after medication stops, the problems reappear. First; have your dog examined by a vet to determine whether it is caused by mites or fungal infection ?

If it is skin allergy or fungal infection; try using NORClear Shampoo (Company : Norbrook), which contains ketoconazole.

Ketoconazole, is an antibiotic for fungal infection which is not to be taken orally if your dog has not gone for a liver test, because if a certain kind of enzyme is high ; it will damage ther liver. So it is safer to use it externally on the body , once a week.The shampoo retails about RM40-00 which is available from your local vet. Use as shampoo when you bath the dog and leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing it off.It is best not to put you dog on oral medication as it might damage the dogs organs. This shampoo helps to clear dry and flakey skin as well as fungal infection.

Keep your schnauzers dry as they tend to have damp skin in our humid weather. Try applying baby talcum powder to keep them dry and keep their coats as short as possible because each time the coat grows thick ; then this problem will reappear.

I hope the above will help your schnauzers as it has helped mine.Wink

abbyying
Dog Kichi

Jan 6, 2007, 6:34 PM

Post #23 of 23 (10886 views)
Shortcut

how is your doggy now ??

u live in penang u can go k9 pet (petshop) ask them to give you doctor pava phone number this doctor more experience maybe he can help u to solve the problem Wink Coz i forget doctor pava phone number Tongue

i live in penang also i have a female MS Wink

In Reply To
Hi all...

in my desperation to help my mini schanuzer...i discovered this web...u're all my last hope.....my name is Iris and i live in Penang. I have a 4.5 yr old black and silver mini schauzer. She developed some serious skin problem. First, i discovered white flaky spots on her bod and the flakes were like dandruff. Then it developed inot red spots and blotches all over and at one time when i was away on busines strip to China, my mom called and said my mini was bleeding all over....she had scratched the red spots and blotches till it bled!!! I took her to Peng Aun...no hope. I took her to Gill where they put her on 6 months treatment on anti fungal and antibiotic...each time the anti biotics stop, her condition came back. She nearly died due to taking antibiotics for such a long time without stopping. The anti fungal and antibiotics cost me a bomb but that's not the issue. She's been free of skin condition for 2 months, now it's back again! Her smell has changed too....she skin smells like rusty iron instead of the sweet smell.....

I've changed her dog food to lamb and rice from Japan, i tried every type of food in the market form Eukanuba to dun know what brand, plus put her on evening primrose oil, my groomer said very good, but it doesn't help. Now i put a cone on her for 1 month oredi but i don't think it's the solution. Gill also give up oredi....what should I do....her fur is also patchy now...HELP me somebody or i think my dog will just die of the skin disease.....now she bite her paws so much and her skin is all pink in colour....HELP!!!pleaseeeee.....is there a really good vet out there who can help???

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my