Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Renal failure

munwaithong
New User

Jun 15, 2006, 6:04 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Renal failure Can't Post

My miniature schnauzer is diagnosed of possible renal failure. Has anyone experienced the same with their dogs. Appreciate any guidance on care and treatment on this condition. Thanks.

doghelper
New User

Jul 3, 2006, 6:25 AM

Post #2 of 3 (987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [munwaithong] Renal failure [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear that...

You should really seek your vet's advice on this condition and its management/treatment options.

Generally, for a definitive diagnosis, other causes of azotemia (high blood urea and creatinine) must first be ruled out such as hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's disease), prerenal azotemia (Urine SG usu > 1.030).

Depends on whether this was acute onset or more chronic in nature. Acute renal failure (some of the causes include toxins, heart failure, thromboembolism, heatstroke/dehydration, snake venom, cancer) is generally bad news. The kidneys often appear normal or larger in size on x-rays or ultrasound. Most dogs do not survive acute renal failure in the short-term.

Chronic renal failure (usu small kidneys on x-rays/ultrasound/palpation, but sometimes appears large secondary to say cancer like lymphosarcoma). Long-term management may not necessarily prolong the dog's life but can provide a higher quality of life and wellbeing. Some approaches include:

1) Change in diet to prescription diets like Hill's K/D, or Waltham's Renal Support (available usu thru vets)

2) Regular blood monitoring tests (urea and creatinine in particular) and urine SG - the frequency (usu once every 1 to 3 months) depends on each case - your vet will be able to advise you.

3) 'Cheat' form of dialysis - either intravenous or subcutaneous fluids (using sterile hospital grade saline of course). Some vets will teach owners how to administer subcutaneous fluids at home. Frequency again depends on each case (how dog is in general, blood test results etc...)

4) Drugs - not always necessary - depends on each case again. E.g. include antacids like cimitidine, ranitidine, omeprazole etc... to minimize nausea caused by uremic gastritis, metoclopramide (anti-vomiting or antiemetic drug) to counter vomiting caused by ureamia, erythropoietin to assist anemia, calcitriol for secondary hyperparathyroidism due to chronic renal failure, ACE-inhibitors (for hypertension) - however, this can make the renal failure worse - your vet will advise you on this etc.... Unfortunately, a magic pill to cure renal failure does not really exist. The gold standards in human medicine would be .....

5) Renal transplants or dialysis - however, this is not usually available to the general pet population, or where available, is usually financially out of the reach of most dog owners.

munwaithong
New User

Jul 4, 2006, 4:44 AM

Post #3 of 3 (979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doghelper] Renal failure [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your lengthy reply. Unfortunately, I had to put my dog to sleep almost 2 weeks ago as his blood had become too toxic and he was bleeding internally. I must say that he could have survived if the initial vet didn't waste time (2 weeks) by treating him for blockage/poisoning. By the time we took him to another vet, blood urea was 10x normal and he already lost kidney function on one kidney and only had 70% of the other functioning. Towards the end even intravenous and subcutaneous fluids did not help.

I think it chronic kidney failure was hereditary. As a puppy, he was drinking a lot of water and his urine was very clear. We though he was just a picky eater but it would seem that renal failure causes loss in appetite. When we put him to sleep he was just 1.5 years old (in human years). A pity cause he was such a good boy.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my