Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Side Effects of Vaccination (Initial and/or annual shots)

ginl
ALPHA

May 2, 2003, 8:47 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1495 views)
Shortcut
Side Effects of Vaccination (Initial and/or annual shots) Can't Post

Hi Everyone,

I need some help frm everyone here...wud appreciate it if anyone can give me some input on any after adverse effect encountered by your puppies or dogs after its vaccination shot, whether it was the first puppy vaccine or the annual booster shots for adult dogs. What were the effects (eg. vomitting or skin reaction or....) and how long did it take for your dog to recover frm it? Also has anyone's dog contracted distemper or parvo shortly after giving the shots?

Thanks in advance! Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 2, 2003, 8:59 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Side Effects of Vaccination (Initial and/or annual shots) [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Gina,

What a coincidence! I just started a thread about Sparkle's skin problem. Sparkle developed a rash (I think) after his vaccinations. It looks like light brown crusty spots all over his body...started after his first jab, got worse after his second. Vet says not to worry but kesian seeing him with so little fur (he's also shedding his puppy fur) and with all the little spots on his body.

Richie developed a mild fever after his first vaccination but was okay after antibiotics and subsequent booster jabs he was ok...and ok for annual jabs too.

adamchooi
Canine Addict

May 3, 2003, 12:57 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Side Effects of Vaccination (Initial and/or annual shots) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I read an article from somewhere stating that vaccination is quite harmful to dogs.Most vet at US now recommend owners to vaccinate their pet 3 years once.

Blog! www.adamchooi.com

ginl
ALPHA

May 3, 2003, 8:51 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamchooi] Side Effects of Vaccination (Initial and/or annual shots) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yah that's the main reason why i posted the question....coz i've read a lot about overdosing of vaccines....then again like in most topics, there are argumentative points to each sides...so that is why wanted to know whether a lot of ppl encountered problems or not. Biscuit's annual shot is already due last mth but hv not given him his jab yet.

milooh

May 3, 2003, 3:49 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Side Effects of Vaccination (Initial and/or annual shots) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Milo had a reaction to booster shots. Since the dates were so close together, the vet decided to give him all the booster shots (like 4 of them) all at once. Milo developed a lump below his neck and we took him to the vet again. Milo didnt act any different and the lump disappeared after a week but it was scary. I dont think we are bringing our dogs for booster jabs after they are 2 years old.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

Trivor
K9 Servant

May 3, 2003, 9:10 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] Side Effects of Vaccination (Initial and/or annual shots) [In reply to] Can't Post

this is quite controversial. Should we compare what US has done with us? I mean, they have better welfare and research over there and better med for prevention, but in Malaysia, we have lesser chance to survive if caught distemper/ rabies. I think we should consult our vet if we want to reduce the booster to once every 3 years. Just some thought....

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

ginl
ALPHA

May 4, 2003, 6:40 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Side Effects of Vaccination (Initial and/or annual shots) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Milooh and Trivor,

Thanks for the input.....i think the issue is not whether dogs in Malaysia hv a lesser chance of survival if contracted distemper, imho vets here shd be able to treat the symptoms of distemper as well as any other vets in other countries, provided the disease is detected at an early stage.....the arguments i've come across with are vaccines hv a lot of toxin in them, more than we know....u r not only injecting vaccines into your dog, u r also injecting a lot of other toxins which kills the friendly bacteria and lowers the immune system of a dog (that is why some dogs experience problems after the shot coz of the reaction to the toxin), hence subjecting the dog to other medical threats in the long run....i recently read an article about how vets shd stop encouraging annual shots as it really isn't necessary and that it will do more harm than good....if u do a search on whether it is necessary to vaccinate a dog every year u'll find tons and tons of articles....i read until i also pening Crazy

milooh

May 4, 2003, 6:55 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Side Effects of Vaccination (Initial and/or annual shots) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Trivor, I havent lived in the US for that long, just about 5 years and I we got Milo in September of 2000. But what I can say is that not many people here buy their pets from the pet stores. In fact, we have been really encouraged to get puppies from the breeder or adopt dogs from the rescue network. And these dogs and puppies are vaccinated and treated once they are born or once they are housed by the individuals who run the rescue network. So if a lot of dogs are vaccinated, disesases like canine cough and distemper wont be so common and wont infect your puppies and dogs. But its still safer to socialize your puppy after it has all its initial shots. I guess the states have better med and research but prevention is still the key and the attitude people have towards their pets. Not everyone here is like that though.

Milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my