Suggestions for a good guard dog...

annette
Novice

Jun 8, 2006, 8:53 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1385 views)
Shortcut
Suggestions for a good guard dog... Can't Post

Hi...

I kinda need suggestions of a suitable breed that will do well as a guard dog and a house companion. I also have a cat and I will need the dog to get along with him as well. Considered Rhodesian Ridgebacks but they are pretty hard to find....

Would apprieciate comments/suggestions....or if anyone has pups...

Thanks

boon
Doggyman

Jun 9, 2006, 1:31 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annette] Suggestions for a good guard dog... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

When you mentioned about guard dog ? do you mean you want something that will bite on command if the situation call for it ? or a watch dog that will bark and act like the first like of deterant to the crooks ?

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

annette
Novice

Jun 9, 2006, 8:47 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Suggestions for a good guard dog... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi....

Well...i would say I will need the dog to be more of a watch dog then....Just to intimidate the thiefs/robbers.

mizeakira

Jun 10, 2006, 12:39 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1347 views)
Shortcut

Maybe mongrel should be fine. Mongrels are quite good as watch dogs. That is what I think. Correct me if Im wrong.Smile
FrownmizeakiraFrown

boon
Doggyman

Jun 10, 2006, 1:12 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Generally a WORKING GSD will fit in all category but i'm biased here Blush

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

annette
Novice

Jun 12, 2006, 3:43 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1321 views)
Shortcut

Hi Boon,

Thanks for the suggestion. Im not so keen with GSD's due to their health problems (heart mainly). And my mum isn't too keen for a furry dog, as we intend to let him in the house once in awhile....thats why I was looking around for big dogs with very short fur.

Thanks anyway...

boon
Doggyman

Jun 12, 2006, 5:39 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1316 views)
Shortcut

Mind to enlightent what do you mean by GSD tend to have heart problem ? I mean working GSD not those that you see in the show ring only know how to run in circle

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 20, 2006, 3:36 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1187 views)
Shortcut

Haha. Any suggestions for a medium-sized watch dog? One with the instinct to look after its territory and scary enough to deter would be intruders with its bark, but not as big as the GSD.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my