Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
champion line puppy ... what is the definition?

vienaong
Novice

May 28, 2006, 3:29 AM

Post #1 of 24 (2611 views)
Shortcut
champion line puppy ... what is the definition? Can't Post

Hi all!

I am now looking for a male shih-tzu puppy, already met a 6-mth old puppy from a breeder who is active in dog show. The dog is healthy and very much of a show quality dog with good temperament. Both the grandfathers are asian champions, but the parents never participate in any show before.

So, this means that the parent dogs are not a champion dog, am i right? I have never seen a MKA cert, how to recognize a champion dog in the cert?

Would this puppy consider a champion line puppy then? Is the price rm1800, consider reasonable?

Need advice asap....need to make decision in a day or two !!!

opps i think no body know who i am..... i am a new member, would introduce myself asap...... now owning a female 6-mth shih-tzu of pet quality......seems like i hv started to gain interest in shih-tzu and dog shows few months back after attending one in April.....

(This post was edited by vienaong on May 29, 2006, 4:40 AM)

mbless
K9 Kaki

May 28, 2006, 10:55 PM

Post #2 of 24 (2599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienaong] champion line puppy ... what is the definition? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi... on the cert.. it will show whether the parents are champion...or imported... it is stated very clearly. Champion line could mean the grandparents or great parents were champion... If you want to get a show quality ST.. do check with MKA n they can give u the list of breeders. If you pay RM1800 it shd b show quality cos a pet quality cost between RM500 - 1000 or slightly more. Do a little more shopping b4 deciding since you r keen in shows... but if for pet then its a different story. I used to show AST but I got the wrong dog... she was a pet quality but she still win 2cc. Later she just became our pet until she passed on. I am not a serious show owner but I felt a bit cheated when I realised my dog was not a show quality as claimed by her breeder... my dog was a champion line dog too... but she have many faults... so if you are seriously keen in showing your dog... do more research so u will know more about the breed. Temperament is not the only criteria in show dog... the whole outlook from the nose to the tail is as important. The gait, the size, the bite...everything is important. So do some serious research b4 buying your show dog.
I hope this help.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

May 29, 2006, 1:37 AM

Post #3 of 24 (2595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] champion line puppy ... what is the definition? [In reply to] Can't Post

Eh? I didn't know you used to show dogs heheheh....Tongue

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

May 29, 2006, 1:41 AM

Post #4 of 24 (2595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienaong] champion line puppy ... what is the definition? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do some shopping around. If you get a pup direct from show parents, price is RM1800. My friend's shih tzu was bought from direct show parents for Rm1.8k I think.... and the shih tzu indeed is show quality in terms of colour, size, structure and coat....

Hunt around lah, no need rush into things. Call up MKA a bit and ask for show breeder's numbers if you want a show quality dog.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

chrisong
Doggyman

May 29, 2006, 3:03 AM

Post #5 of 24 (2591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] champion line puppy ... what is the definition? [In reply to] Can't Post

You did not tell me before you show AST???

Which breeder you got the AST from???

chrisong
Doggyman

May 29, 2006, 3:11 AM

Post #6 of 24 (2590 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Don't rush into buying a show dog. Do your research first. Attend MKA dog shows talk to the people there that show ST. Read more about Show quality ST pup how to choose it & I am sure you can get some valueble advice from ST books around the bookshops.

Parents with Champ titled doesn't mean their pups will become a good show quality dog.

Good Luck

mbless
K9 Kaki

May 29, 2006, 9:12 AM

Post #7 of 24 (2580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] champion line puppy ... what is the definition? [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiyah told u b4 lah... u forgot d....
I got my dog from Pg... Rxse Wxng... she got nice AST... she also breeder for Papilion. All show quality. Faune was my first MKA pure breed dog... her faults are she is undersized... more like a yorkie, her temperament too timid... not like terriers... but she loves the ring.... will always walk with head held high... the judge told me she is too small... err... mayb like your Amos. But I love her dearly.
Anyway, that was 26 yrs ago liao. Showing dogs back then more simple... not like now... last time we seldom got spectators to watch... Nowadays I see crowd n all those carriers n stuffs they bring.... wah so nice n so many.... last time, we only bring our dog n a simple leash ( not much choice in the market) and water container ( dont even have those spout) n i dont remember we got carrier.... life was definitely simpler then...

mbless
K9 Kaki

May 29, 2006, 9:16 AM

Post #8 of 24 (2579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] champion line puppy ... what is the definition? [In reply to] Can't Post

ehh... got also wan... everything also must try mah....
Tat time I only 15 yrs old lah... save my money n buy a dog..... beside the AST I also have a MP.... no cert.
Quite fun at the ring... my niece also won the best junior handler... dont know they still have that category now or not.

chrisong
Doggyman

May 29, 2006, 10:29 PM

Post #9 of 24 (2566 views)
Shortcut

WOW. Veteran in AST. SIFU!!!!!!

Hehehe

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

May 30, 2006, 5:18 AM

Post #10 of 24 (2560 views)
Shortcut

Hahah... not bad wor.... I have never shown dogs before... but would like to learn one day.

mbless
K9 Kaki

May 30, 2006, 7:41 AM

Post #11 of 24 (2554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] champion line puppy ... what is the definition? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pai seh lah to call me sifu... that time i only small girl lah. I think 15 or 16 only. Go blur blur... follow wat ppl do. But feel so proud lah when my dog won... anyway during that time, i think only 5 AST... all Rxse Wxng's dogs n 1 mine... Faune won 2 Junior CC... is that wat u call nowadays?
I sudah out of touch... now the show ring so glamour... wah ppl all look so professional... talk pun professional.. hahaha. But if I have a chance I would like to do it again. Its fun....but also tiring. Its not so much of your dog win or not but the feeling was fun...

mbless
K9 Kaki

May 30, 2006, 7:47 AM

Post #12 of 24 (2553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] champion line puppy ... what is the definition? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Hun, go show chelsea lah... she so pretty... its fun. Whether win or not, its a good experience... see so many dogs of the same breed n how some dogs can b such great show dogs... like modelling lah.
I remember i saw them show GSD n the owner must run round the ring few times... well if not fit, can pengsan wor. Especially when the judge is undecided between the champion, she will ask you to run again. I dont know whether its still the same now.
Funny thing is your dog seems to know they r in competition....n when they win, they also like happy.. prob happy cos they see us happy....

kitconnie78
ALPHA

May 30, 2006, 5:26 PM

Post #13 of 24 (2543 views)
Shortcut

Well if you are purely buying a dog to keep as a pet, show dog or not doesn't really matter. As long as you love the dog that is good enough. As for cert, is good to have a cert so that you know the lineage of your dog. Champion dog is when a dog had enter conformity show and won with enough points to become a champion.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

May 31, 2006, 4:42 AM

Post #14 of 24 (2526 views)
Shortcut

I havent register yet as member... so can't show yet ahahah... but she is so naughty lah... sure I'll be running like monkeyTongue

chrisong
Doggyman

May 31, 2006, 6:05 AM

Post #15 of 24 (2523 views)
Shortcut

You no need to become a member only can show ur dog. You can paid 1 day membership fee. I think is about RM10 on that day.

If you really interested want to try it out go ahead. Take it as a experience get to know how dog show works & its rules & regulations.

Hope to see you in the ring with your dog soon

Cheers

chrisong
Doggyman

May 31, 2006, 6:13 AM

Post #16 of 24 (2521 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Pai seh lah to call me sifu... that time i only small girl lah. I think 15 or 16 only. Go blur blur... follow wat ppl do. But feel so proud lah when my dog won... anyway during that time, i think only 5 AST... all Rxse Wxng's dogs n 1 mine... Faune won 2 Junior CC... is that wat u call nowadays?
I sudah out of touch... now the show ring so glamour... wah ppl all look so professional... talk pun professional.. hahaha. But if I have a chance I would like to do it again. Its fun....but also tiring. Its not so much of your dog win or not but the feeling was fun...

Basically, dog shows still the same just that classes have some changes. No more Minor Puppy class. Puppy Class from 6month to 12month now change to 6month to 10month. Same goes to others class.

I never heard of Rxse Wxng before.Unsure What is her kennel name you still remember?

Hope to see you soon in showring with your SilkyWink Agree Its Fun & Tiring for both owner & dog.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

May 31, 2006, 5:04 PM

Post #17 of 24 (2517 views)
Shortcut

Really? Can show in one day? Wah, didn't know that.... but I guess I'm too late for the latest show right? I'll be going to look see a bit heheheh.... just wondering how to control my dog since she is a bit shy around many dogs....

mbless
K9 Kaki

May 31, 2006, 8:41 PM

Post #18 of 24 (2509 views)
Shortcut

I cant remember her kennel but my dog was registered as Roswon Fanhill Faune....so donno whether that her kennel name...

I got no Silky d.... i am now having MS (neut) and mix breed so cannot show. Mayb when I go over to Aust will think about it...

Did u receive my email regarding my fren? Reply me from mail... not here.

vienaong
Novice

Jun 4, 2006, 4:47 AM

Post #19 of 24 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Hi to all sifu!

I truely appreciate all ur useful feedback and advice to my question.....XIE-XIE! Smile

So it seems like it is not a concern of whether the parent dogs is champion or not as long as the puppy is of good quality, am i rite? and no fast and hard rules when come to definition.

Last sunday i went to look at the same puppy again, and based on the web research that i done mainly from american shih tzu club, the puppy is indeed close to the standards...not many faults that i notice except that the tail is a bit short but plum....so i decided to buy from the breeder without further shopping .... not much time also lah actually.Crazy

And, tomorrow i am going to take the puppy home by car.....plan to bring along the female puppy that i hv now ..... I am worried abt:

firstly, how to introduce the two of them? and secondly how to introduce the second puppy to the new home? and of coz most important is to have them live happily in the apartment that i live now.... again, valuable advice needed

now i feel very excited plus a bit of anxiety

(This post was edited by vienaong on Jun 6, 2006, 5:56 AM)

vienaong
Novice

Jun 4, 2006, 5:04 AM

Post #20 of 24 (2478 views)
Shortcut

Hi chrisong!

how can i learn more abt how dog show works and its rules? dun know how to start .... so far i only visited one dog show in april this yr....so consider hv no experience at all lah.... esp in showing shih-tzu that certainly i will need help with professional grooming!

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 4, 2006, 4:50 PM

Post #21 of 24 (2475 views)
Shortcut

Click the link below for more info.

http://www.mka.org.my/sport_conform_rules.htm

Hope this help

vienaong
Novice

Jun 11, 2006, 9:40 AM

Post #22 of 24 (2394 views)
Shortcut

Hi chris!

i hv checked on the website u suggested ... and is useful..Thanks! where can i find more detailed info to learn abt dog show OR is there any conformation training classes available ard klang valley?

it's fun to hv two shih-tzus ... but the grooming take lots of time and effort ... how u manage to keep 5 sliky ??? !!!

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 11, 2006, 9:43 PM

Post #23 of 24 (2391 views)
Shortcut

I don't think there have any classes for comformation training in Klang Valley or even in Malaysia. Actually is very easy to train them for the showring. You can get some training book at bookstore & start training your ST urself. I also train my Silky myself.

Why not you drop by on 24th & 25th June 2006, MKA all breed show @ Sri Kembangan. See how the people handle their dog at the sametime you might want to talk to them, they might give you some tips in grooming & training your ST. Do your breeder show their ST???

My 5 Silkies equal 2 Shih Tzu. Your Shih Tzu coat are must more difficult in grooming them if compare to my Silky. My Silky hair just has one layer of coat & all I need is brush & comb them daily. That it.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 12, 2006, 5:14 AM

Post #24 of 24 (2386 views)
Shortcut

Few thing I need to add somemore are:-

Train your puppy daily on a lead, practice gaiting (the pattern of movement at varying speeds and varying placement of feet) and show stance (the best possible standing position for judging purposes), for about ten minutes per session, several times daily, if time permits.

Teach your puppy to be a relaxed traveller (a sick dog is no fun) by starting with short trips and gradually increase the length, until your dog is a comfortable traveller.

Brush or comb your puppy, removing loose hair and knots, daily or weekly to get it used to the grooming routine.

Maintain coat and body condition with good diet (perhaps including oil), exercise and a thorough worming program. Regular vaccinations are compulsory and also essential to health.

Lastly, do refer your ST show breeder/expert for more advice.

Hope this help.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my