Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
Serious Biting Problem

babymiki
Enthusiast

May 22, 2006, 8:06 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3082 views)
Shortcut
Serious Biting Problem Can't Post

My 5 months old Germaine, has serious biting problems. She bites practically on anything especially my hands and toes! She's giving me a hard time especially when i sleep. She sleeps inthe same room with me. Whenever i put blanket on, she'll start to bite my toes. Once, she bit my granny's hand till bleed. There was once i got so angry (because it was 3am in the morning and i was so sleepy, normally i waited for her to sleep then only i retire to bed) that i slapped her so hard on the face. What can i do to make her stop? Maybe there are too many ppl in the house which makes it hard for me to train her in my own way and whenever i wanted to train her somebody will distract her and play crazily with her including my dad. He fed her with groundnuts!~!~!~!!!!! Whenever i teach my granny how to train her (like not letting her kibbles bowl to be laid down on the floor for too long) she said "oh really? its not the correct way -.-" Please provide mewith some advice.

Frown*~Germaine's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

Frown MY Friendster BlushFrown

FrownI love my darlings Germaine, the Silky Terrier and Meeko, the Miniature SchnauzerFrown

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jun 1, 2006, 11:36 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [babymiki] Serious Biting Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

It is not the serious. All puppies will bite in anything. That is normal and part of the development. However, you have to train the puppy what he can bite (chewing toys) and what not (anything else) and be consistent with it. That means not being upset when biting into your old slippers and but getting furious when biting into the new one.

If your puppy does not stop when you say a firm NO then you have to grab his scuff and shake a little, looking upset and saying again NO. Then offer him the chewing toy and praise him for biting into it. This should teach him what is acceptable in your family.If not then the next step would be to push him on his side while holding down with one hand the chest and with the other hand hold firmly his throat. Hold him in this position until he surrenders (tail between legs). No need to say anything, just keep on looking upset. Once surrendered, wait another few seconds and then walk away. This will normally do the trick. FYI: that is the way the alpha dog will discipline the pack members. He will stand on the chest and bite into the throat. Good luck.

wan
K9 Maniac

Jun 7, 2006, 2:49 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Hi babymiki, wonder how's your furkid biting problem now? Got improvement ?

* ~ My Life Has Changed 23rd June 2008) ~ *

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jul 20, 2006, 12:22 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2808 views)
Shortcut

hey miki,

any improvement on your germaine? if the prob still occurs, i think you should use the suggestion given by joe. I followed that too and it works....though she will still bite, but at least now she is more controllable and know how to stop when i say 'NO'. i pushed her to her side as per suggested by Joe too...well initially, she yells and tried to breakfree....but i am persistence and soon she learns that i am stronger than her.....so she surrenders...after a few attempts, she is much better now....Cool

hope to hear good news from you Wink

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my