ERN
K9 Maniac

May 16, 2006, 12:35 AM

Post #1 of 146 (3703 views)
Shortcut
Is it wrong to give away our dog? Can't Post

PPC members

Need your pool on 2 cases below

C1: is it wrong to give always our retire show dog?

C2: Is it worng to give away our dog then later we hide the fact that we planed to give away our dogs and comdemn other people who do so?

t.q.

Frown

View my photo album

last update, ZEUS & Shiki's 2nd off springs, 16/09/2008. Yes 9.16!

http://s56.photobucket.com/...%20Zeus%20N%20Shiki/

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g192/ERN2/Dogs

(This post was edited by ERN on May 16, 2006, 12:39 AM)

ppdcdm

May 17, 2006, 4:04 AM

Post #2 of 146 (3679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ERN] Is it wrong to give away our dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) DEFINITELY it is not wrong & i strongly say that this is the most appropriate way. By the way, different ppl got different interest, some might want to take in a dog as permanent pets, some might just want to be a pro breeder, everybody have different goals, hence it is not wise to ask others to follow your way only.

2) Definitely Chriso0Ong is wrong.

cheers

chrisong
Doggyman

May 17, 2006, 4:59 AM

Post #3 of 146 (3675 views)
Shortcut

What pool is this, but what the hack just participate.

C1 - Partly right & Wrong. Since the dog already retire that mean he/she probably about 5 or 6 years old and have been with you for long period of time the dog definity very attach to the owner, So it is not advisible to give them away. Unless the owner have his/her own reason.

C2 - It is definity is wrong!!! Why this person trying to hide from other since he/she give away he/her dog? There is nothing wrong to let other know right?

glng675
Ultra ALPHA

May 17, 2006, 8:57 PM

Post #4 of 146 (3649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ppdcdm] Is it wrong to give away our dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1.) DEFINITELY it is not wrong & i strongly say that this is the most appropriate way. By the way, different ppl got different interest, some might want to take in a dog as permanent pets, some might just want to be a pro breeder, everybody have different goals, hence it is not wise to ask others to follow your way only.

2) Definitely Chriso0Ong is wrong.

cheers

Hahahaha.....no comment for #2, otherwise that sensitive breed will naik gila

But 1 thing I agreed you is "That Breed" have "No Wise"....he dun know which breed is that breed!!SlySlySly....This also can show at the upper post of mine.

My Boxers ALBUM (Updated : 22/Mar/2005)

http://photos.yahoo.com/glng675

ppdcdm

May 18, 2006, 9:55 AM

Post #5 of 146 (3628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [glng675] Is it wrong to give away our dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

haha. if this is not involving tht breed, y tht breed feel he must jump up & clarify 1? akakaka!

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 18, 2006, 5:23 PM

Post #6 of 146 (3614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ppdcdm] Is it wrong to give away our dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
haha. if this is not involving tht breed, y tht breed feel he must jump up & clarify 1? akakaka!

The action tells it all.

If you hear somebody say "Siow Kow", normal people will just look up to search for who say that and to whom it is directed. If evrybody keep quiet and you look at me and I look at you, we all dunno who is it refering to. But suddenly got one felor yield and jump up and down then everybody will say "ohm......" hahaheheheh

Frown

View my photo album

Riccaval
ALPHA

May 19, 2006, 1:02 AM

Post #7 of 146 (3574 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
PPC members

C2: Is it worng to give away our dog then later we hide the fact that we planed to give away our dogs and comdemn other people who do so?

t.q.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C1. No..its ok with me.......its a common thing to do. (dont say i got no heart)

C2. Dont condemn other ppl.....there are other experience dog ppl who are reading the forum and laughing at all smart remarks. And also you must have tact in giving ur views....urs might not go down well..be sensitive. (u dont have to be Einstein to know who I'm refering toTongue.) take it positively.

Remy

May 19, 2006, 4:59 PM

Post #8 of 146 (3552 views)
Shortcut

1. Yes it is wrong to give away your retired show dog. This is my personal opinion. Having been in the show world for many, many years, my show dogs gave me their very best in their "working years". They loved me and my family and were part of the unit. They stayed with us until their demise. It is very hard to pass a dog along to someone because that dog is attached to its family and will grieve. But then a lot of people do not consider the dog's feelings and a lot of showing is all tied up in a person's ego. I can say this as I saw the dog show world change during the years I was a part of it. Too many people discard their show dogs when they are no longer winning. Yes, it would be nice to have them go to good homes where they are loved for themselves and not just for the "glory" they bring to their show owners. But this is not always the case and those good homes are few and far between. They brought their owners recognition and acceptance in the show world. They should be loved and kept for the rest of their lives.

2. Of course it is wrong to give a dog away for no good reason. I am not talking about the diligent search for a new and good home. Far too many people think they have found a good home and then when the dog is gone, it's a case of "out of sight, out of mind".

Sorry if this is not the answer you want, but it's my opinion and personal experience.

When I go to Heaven, if there are no dogs and horses there, then I want to go where they go!

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 19, 2006, 5:11 PM

Post #9 of 146 (3545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] Is it wrong to give away our dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
PPC members

t.q.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C1. No..its ok with me.......its a common thing to do. (dont say i got no heart)

C2. Dont condemn other ppl.....there are other experience dog ppl who are reading the forum and laughing at all smart remarks. And also you must have tact in giving ur views....urs might not go down well..be sensitive. (u dont have to be Einstein to know who I'm refering toTongue.) take it positively.

Riccaval You are welcome. In public forum, we learn what/how do people think, it is educatinoal. Depend on how we take it. Some cant take it, some learn from it, some go extremely personal. The personnality reveals.

Frown

View my photo album

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 19, 2006, 5:26 PM

Post #10 of 146 (3537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Remy] Is it wrong to give away our dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. Yes it is wrong to give away your retired show dog. This is my personal opinion. Having been in the show world for many, many years, my show dogs gave me their very best in their "working years". They loved me and my family and were part of the unit. They stayed with us until their demise. It is very hard to pass a dog along to someone because that dog is attached to its family and will grieve. But then a lot of people do not consider the dog's feelings and a lot of showing is all tied up in a person's ego. I can say this as I saw the dog show world change during the years I was a part of it. Too many people discard their show dogs when they are no longer winning. Yes, it would be nice to have them go to good homes where they are loved for themselves and not just for the "glory" they bring to their show owners. But this is not always the case and those good homes are few and far between. They brought their owners recognition and acceptance in the show world. They should be loved and kept for the rest of their lives.

2. Of course it is wrong to give a dog away for no good reason. I am not talking about the diligent search for a new and good home. Far too many people think they have found a good home and then when the dog is gone, it's a case of "out of sight, out of mind".

Sorry if this is not the answer you want, but it's my opinion and personal experience.

Hi Remy

I am not looking for certain answer. It is for the forumer to express their stand and views.

Personnaly, I accepted both, it depends on situation.

A person with the aim of improving the breed will try to keep more specimen, so that you can select the suitable one. we need continuous effort to improved it dont you? but your space might be limited. Off course there is no reason to send them always if you can effort it and have the space and the time.

if you keep them at the residential area, you are restricted by the local rules and regulations, there are certain situations where you have no choice but to send them to a good home.

Frown

View my photo album

Riccaval
ALPHA

May 19, 2006, 5:35 PM

Post #11 of 146 (3536 views)
Shortcut

You're welcome.

I also agree with what Remy say to a certain extend. Yes, if you have 1 or 2 retired show dog that is no problem at all......you shldnt even think of giving them a way. But for those who chose to go into the sports of dog showing seriously , they dont only have 1 or 2. I alway say its a number game if not you dont improve on the standard.

So you end up with 5 to 10 or even more retired show dogs......so what are you going to do???. Personally I believe having them neutered and giving them to friends or dogs lovers is better than selling them to breeders.

Anyway..its my opinion. Its good to get others view but I believe ultimately you follow ur conscience.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 19, 2006, 10:49 PM

Post #12 of 146 (3514 views)
Shortcut

basically ppl who r active in show n keep on breeding....later d dog retire juz gv away!! ....

r definately not DOG LOVER.... they r SHOW LOVER, BREED LOVER, STATUS LOVER...

they juz wan 2 breed, earn money, win show....

they don't actually love their dog...

if they do love, they won't b able 2 be part from them....

there r indeed 2 diff world, in the 1 dog world...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on May 19, 2006, 11:35 PM)

Riccaval
ALPHA

May 19, 2006, 11:24 PM

Post #13 of 146 (3507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Is it wrong to give away our dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazyanother fine example of a different DOG LOVER.

To me there are different type or level of dog lovers. To you and some others your defination of a dog lover is one who rescue and own mix breeds .

I have nothing against mix breed, I started with them.

You have your opinion and I respect that.......but I think its damn rude to brand others as SHOW LOVER, BREED LOVER, STATUS LOVER simply because u r not tuned to that area of dog activities.

and also show dog breeders dont breed for money. You obviously know nothing about the sport of dog showing.

Dont let ur excessive love for Pacco get the better of you.

no hard feelingsSmile

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 19, 2006, 11:30 PM

Post #14 of 146 (3503 views)
Shortcut

i didn't said tat all who take part in dog show r in tat categories tat i had mentioned earlier... i'm only referring 2 those who juz gv their dogs away

i do have frens who participate in dog show.... n i did attend and give them support....

but they don't gv away their dog when their dog are no longer capable to join in d show ring....

joining dog show is indeed a healthy sport....but i realized that there a number of them, who treat their show dog as a possesion....

i still remember hearing man chatting wit his fren while waiting for his turn to enter d show ring ...

he said : " Hi, long time no c liao.... ...... yalor...tat 1 sell oledi....now buy a husky to come play la....."

i know u guys aim 2 improve breed standards.... but do this means BREED LOVER?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on May 19, 2006, 11:37 PM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 19, 2006, 11:40 PM

Post #15 of 146 (3494 views)
Shortcut

owning a dog is a lifetime commitment....

no matter pure breed or mongrel...

no matter it cost a hundred or thousands... or mayb 0 cost..

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on May 19, 2006, 11:40 PM)

Riccaval
ALPHA

May 19, 2006, 11:40 PM

Post #16 of 146 (3491 views)
Shortcut

no worries, as long as its not a blanket statement

sorry for the harsh wordsBlush

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 19, 2006, 11:51 PM

Post #17 of 146 (3487 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Hi Remy

I am not looking for certain answer. It is for the forumer to express their stand and views.

Personnaly, I accepted both, it depends on situation.

A person with the aim of improving the breed will try to keep more specimen, so that you can select the suitable one. we need continuous effort to improved it dont you? but your space might be limited. Off course there is no reason to send them always if you can effort it and have the space and the time.

if you keep them at the residential area, you are restricted by the local rules and regulations, there are certain situations where you have no choice but to send them to a good home.

ya....wat u said is true....due to surrounding constrain...

but tis doesn't mean wat they do is right?

i think they do feel guilty when they sent away the dog that they truely love.

wat they could least provide is....a lovely home...n not sell it away, by stating...retired show dog 2 good homes...n hoping 4 some high income (coz d dog r well trained up n definately more beautiful)

Pacco de Mongrel

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 20, 2006, 12:04 AM

Post #18 of 146 (3483 views)
Shortcut

i think u won't juz gv away ur dog..

u definately will find them a loving owner n 4ever home.... n ofcoz concern whether they did take care of them 4 d rest of their life.....

ya....neutering idea is great....2 prevent them from irresponsible breeding,....

d best is even....don't provide d new owner wit d dog MKA cert.....to prevent them 2 re-sell....

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on May 20, 2006, 12:09 AM)

Riccaval
ALPHA

May 20, 2006, 12:22 AM

Post #19 of 146 (3465 views)
Shortcut

yes definately i wont juz gv away my doz. I haven done that yet.

At the moment there some 6/7 yr old retired show dogs at home and still much loved. But I have to be realistic, when the time comes that I cant give them the attention they deserve, I will have to look for friends/dog lovers.

If they can get better attention and love then I can honestly say I have done my best. But then , there are some that will call my house their forever home. There are always some that you you will never part with ........ grow old together shld i say...........lol

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 20, 2006, 12:29 AM

Post #20 of 146 (3464 views)
Shortcut

then u really hv lotsa friends who love dogs....

but basically its not hard 2 find a home for ur CKCS....

they indeed looks sweet n lovely...many ppl wil indeed hope tat u would gv them 1....

Pacco de Mongrel

ERN
K9 Maniac

May 20, 2006, 1:58 AM

Post #21 of 146 (3455 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Crazyanother fine example of a different DOG LOVER.

To me there are different type or level of dog lovers. To you and some others your defination of a dog lover is one who rescue and own mix breeds .

I have nothing against mix breed, I started with them.

You have your opinion and I respect that.......but I think its damn rude to brand others as SHOW LOVER, BREED LOVER, STATUS LOVER simply because u r not tuned to that area of dog activities.

and also show dog breeders dont breed for money. You obviously know nothing about the sport of dog showing.

Dont let ur excessive love for Pacco get the better of you.

no hard feelingsSmile

I have posted my interpretation of love on dog, fell free to browse through it, http://www.puppy.com.my/...t_Love_Dogs_P261317/

I would think those people are general Dog Lover, a NON-POSSESSIVE TYPE. They love dog in general, maybe to that breed [not to confuse with that breed in other threadTongue] not to a particular one. They try to improve their look to comply to the standard specifications. It is another type of love. They just love the breed or breeds.

To do that they have to put in lots of efforts in breeding, and serach fopr the best speciments, if he is not a dog lover or breed lover, why could he put in his resources and efforts? What to do with the un-selected one? or show but failed, because ther are better one participate in the ring?

Not to go out of this topic, can talk more about Love at the link above?

Frown

View my photo album

Remy

May 29, 2006, 2:58 AM

Post #22 of 146 (3387 views)
Shortcut

When you start showing dogs you are supposed to be doing it to improve the breed. I never, ever gave away my retirees. My older bitches were spayed and my older males were kept as pets. You said that "those who go into the sport of dog showing seriously don't have only one or two. I always say it is a number game. If not you don't improve on the standard." I beg to differ. In almost 30 years of breeding, showing and judging I kept my kennel small and exclusive. I bred only 9 litters, some of which were a single pup. The puppies that were not show quality were sold as pets and companions after a carefull vetted search for the right home. However, once that pup or dog is out of your hands there is nothing you can do. In spite of all my work in trying to find wonderful homes I know of three cases that turned out not so good. I managed to get one dog back but could not convince the owners to return the other two to me. My point is this....you don't breed for quantity, you should be breeding for quality. And the ones that are shown should be kept. If you only have room for five adults, then don't look for more puppies to bring on. I did not keep adding more dogs to the show ring. If I had no more room, then I waited for a year or two before I bred again. But so many exhibitors today just keep on breeding for that one SPECIAL dog. And cast aside the older ones. I say "For shame." They convince themselves they are improving the breed. And many, many of those breeders are not. I only have to look around the show ring today to see that.

When I go to Heaven, if there are no dogs and horses there, then I want to go where they go!

chrisong
Doggyman

May 29, 2006, 3:28 AM

Post #23 of 146 (3386 views)
Shortcut

Remy,

I totally agree your statement here.

"you don't breed for quantity, you should be breeding for quality"

Riccaval
ALPHA

May 29, 2006, 7:24 AM

Post #24 of 146 (3371 views)
Shortcut

Precisely Remy, when u start showing dogs you are suppose to improve the breed. I do not dispute that.
I also agree that you should breed for quality and not quantity.
Thats the mantra for all show breeder.
But seriously do you think you can improve on the standard by having 9 litters in 30 yrs........i'm sorry but i beg to differ too.
My mentors are from overseas and I have learned from these successful breeders. Most of them breed maybe 1 or 2 litters a year and thats what I do to. If you think thats breeding in quantity than we see things differently. More so the the average no. of pups for my breed is 3 or 4.

Anyway the subject is "Is it wrong to give away our dog"......and I have said no based on my opinion.
You have your opinion too so thats fineSmile

Its healthy discussion.Frown

(This post was edited by Riccaval on May 29, 2006, 7:25 AM)

Riccaval
ALPHA

May 29, 2006, 7:50 AM

Post #25 of 146 (3367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Is it wrong to give away our dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Chris, every serious breeder knows this statement.

but not many knows how to do it.......it depends a lot on genepool, having an 'eye' to spot quality and years of experience.
In our country there are not many of such breeder....we are still considered new in this field compared to our overseas brothers and many are still learning.

I still believe.....its impossible to improve on the standard or quality of your dogs if you have bred 1 or 2 litter. That being the case...we are not qualified to comment on such issue. Ofcoz we cant stop any one from giving their views but then it will carry no weight.

We are all quite new to this and have much to learn.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my