Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Nerve Damage & Spasms

Chuckie
Novice

Apr 30, 2003, 11:36 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1101 views)
Shortcut
Nerve Damage & Spasms Can't Post

Hi, last year my dog damaged a nerve in his back, he was chasing his ball and twisted too quickly and popped a nerve in his back damaging the function of his left leg. To start with he couldn't use it but luckily he got quite a bit better but, unfortunately the vet said he probably will not get 100% better. Since his injury he some times gets spasms in his leg making it involuntarily kick out. I know this is going to happen occassionally but was wondering if any one has known this type of injury to occur and the reason why suddenly the spasms occur. Crazy Thanks

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Apr 30, 2003, 5:11 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chuckie] Nerve Damage & Spasms [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello chuckie,

so very sorry to hear about your dog...I have no idea nor experience in this...would like to extend my apology...hmm..why not check it online for some info? Or did you bring him for follow up after the incident?if yes, what did the doctor say?I think the best answers can only be found by asking a vet.....

Wish you best of luck and do update us with your dog's condition....looking forward to hear your good news...

Good luck
Meme

odie moves MY world!

archer
K9 Senior

Apr 30, 2003, 5:29 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1092 views)
Shortcut

woaaa ...

never knew such a thing could happen. mind my ignorance, I'm new in the canine world. thanks for sharing! Mayb the other members of the forum may b able to shed some light on this thread.
Cheers!

visit the pug thread...

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 30, 2003, 5:59 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1087 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chuckie, Smile

Sorry to hear about your dog's condition Frown I think what happened to your dog isn't a common case cause it's an injury and I think for the best advice you should consult the vet. Hope your dog's condition gets better. Do keep us updated and share with us if you find out the cause of his condition ok?

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 30, 2003, 6:41 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1084 views)
Shortcut

hello Chuckie,
poor thing, so sorry to hear that!
I think this is like human. Probably your doggie has overstressed the muslce and nerves? How old was your dog when he got the injury? Did you consult the vet? What did he said about the root cause?
Hope he will bounce back into action ASAP!!

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

milooh

Apr 30, 2003, 6:47 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1085 views)
Shortcut

Hi, my dog, IRiS pulled a shoulder muscle chasing the ball too. Jef brought her to a vet who does acupuncture on animals. IRiS went for two sessions of acupuncture two weeks apart. We rested her for 6 weeks and she is now back to normal. I dont know for sure that its not a nerve problem or just muslce, or a combination of both, but have you considered acupuncture? I wonder if its available. Alternative remedy is sometimes a good option. Good luck.

Milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

May 1, 2003, 9:36 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1075 views)
Shortcut

HI chuckie,

I'm so sad hearing of what happen to your dog... Did the vet offer any solution that could help the spasms conditions ? Maybe you could try to do a search thru the web to find out more informations abt the nerve damage situation.

cheers,
minglmy

Chuckie
Novice

May 2, 2003, 9:03 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Thank you to all who replied, much appreciated. I took him straight to the vets as soon as he done the injury, the vet gave him a strong steroid injection and I had to go back the following day, when he first done the injury his leg wasn't working at all, he didn't have any feeling in it, it looked dislocated cause when he sat down it poked out the side. But the steroid injection helped a great deal. He was given a 3 week dose of steroid tablets and he had to go back every day for about 3 days after the injury. Then again in about a month for a check up. The vet said he'd either get better, stay as he is or deteriate. He stayed as he was which wasn't too bad. He has trouble jumping up on the settee, his leg hits the front of it and it gets tired after running around for an hour. I went back to see the vet about the spasms and he said that it will happen from time to time. But I didn't think to ask what sets it off. I'll have to go back and see if there's any tablet I can give him to calm it down.

Thanks every one

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my