Am I spoiling him??

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cyling
Dog Kichi

Apr 30, 2006, 4:33 PM

Post #1 of 67 (3334 views)
Shortcut
Am I spoiling him?? Can't Post

My 6 months old maltese is eating less in the pass 2 weeks, he couldn't finish his food. He either ate half of his food or less than that. Sometimes, he just ate a fews kibbles then he went away. This started since I gave him the Jerhigh snack stick.

At first I thought he was attracted by his new toy, so I kept all his toys and chew toys away, leaving his bowl there. He rather laid down and rest rather than eating the food.

I thought he was sick, cause he always feel itchy. So, I tried to mix his food with some JerHigh snack stick to test his appetite. He ate most of the food for the first 2 times. Then He was back to not eating his food again, he picked the snack stick only.

Then, I practise the 30mins meal time, after 30mins he hasn't finish his food, I just take the bowl away until his next meal. Just 1 or 2 treats in between. I feed him 7am and 6.30pm everyday. Still, he picked the snack stick only.

Eventually, the past 2 days, I tried to mix his food with the Ceaser canned food, he fisnished his food less than 10 mins and the bowl was "cleanly licked"...

Is he sick ( he is still itchy and scratches his body ) or bored of his old food or I have spoiled him with those "real meat" snack ?

I am worry now if I am spoiling him with his food and he won't eat his dog food... How to change this behaviour ?? Frown

Visit Hero and Casper's Blog

chrisong
Doggyman

May 1, 2006, 12:12 AM

Post #2 of 67 (3323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyling] Am I spoiling him?? [In reply to] Can't Post

You should not give canned or jerhigh mix with dry food kibble. This you create a choosy eater. Treat or canned food you only can give them once a month, it is better if you don't give them too often.

Now you need to put the bowl of dog food there for about 1 min. If he/she don't come and eat the food you take it away, or if he/she eat slow you also take it away. He/she will have to wait for his/her next meal in hunger. You must be cruel abit don't soft heart ya. Sooner or later your dog will learn to eat his/her food once you put the bowl of dog food kibble on the floor.

I train all my Silkies eat finish their food once I give it to them.

Hope this helpWink

cyling
Dog Kichi

May 2, 2006, 4:17 PM

Post #3 of 67 (3308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Am I spoiling him?? [In reply to] Can't Post

wao.. that I really have to be "stone hearted" .. leave the food for only 1 mins !!! I will try this out next week. Because he is on medication now, got fungal infection Frown so have to make him to eat the food after he take the medicine. Do you have any suggestion during his medication period ?

chrisong
Doggyman

May 2, 2006, 4:50 PM

Post #4 of 67 (3307 views)
Shortcut

How come got fungal infection? It is serious???

Since your pup on medication & also fussy in his food you probably have no choice & need to give him canned food, boiled meat/vege or Eggs to mixed with his dog food kibble for him to eat.Unsure After the medication you can't spoil your pup.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 2, 2006, 7:00 PM

Post #5 of 67 (3302 views)
Shortcut

ya...what crisong suggest is correct....if u duwan to have a picky eater...

but sometimes owner do spoil their dog....

my pacco also did the same to me last time....she refuse to eat her boring kibbles...

so i buy canned food and mixed with kibbles..... but i don't used up the whole canned in one meal.....usually will separate into three meals.....the excess will keep in the refigerator....

this can really increase appetite...coz kibble is so dry and undelicious....

it really depends how u wan to treat ur dog,.,.... if u feel that mixing canned food is an extra work for u....then never give anymore.....

once u mixed it, u have to mixed it FOREVER.

but canned food really bring no harm....and in contrast is better than dry kibbles.....coz canned food got less preservative....n there are some good quality canned food around...... some are delicious and some are not..... those gravy kind is what my dog like the most...

btw, cesar seems to be the most expensive n less nutritional value.....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on May 2, 2006, 7:06 PM)

chrisong
Doggyman

May 2, 2006, 8:10 PM

Post #6 of 67 (3296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Am I spoiling him?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amanda,

Feeding canned food not only will make your dog to be a fussy eater but it also will have faster buildup of tartar on their teeth.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 3, 2006, 12:34 AM

Post #7 of 67 (3281 views)
Shortcut

ya.... i admit that canned food can make ur dog a fussy eater.....

but its a option to the owner whether she wan to spoil her dog a not.....if she gi in , then have to do it forever....

anyhow....dog under 100% kibbles also got tartar build up if the owner do not provide any dental care....

my kinki is under 100% kibbles too.... but when she reach 1 year old...all her teeth turn yellow....becoz i din provide any dental care......

but now my pacco under all soft food...... i provide dental chew every alternate day and scrub her teeth weekly....so all d teeth also white white....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

chrisong
Doggyman

May 3, 2006, 5:25 AM

Post #8 of 67 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Treats also will contribute to yellow teeth!!! My Silkies on 100% dog food kibbles, treats only about once a month, even canned food, boiled chicken breast or Vege I only give them special occassion like Chinese New Year, New Year eve or on their birthday lor. So far no problem with their teeth, My oldest Silky (AMBER) 6 years old also have white teeth & my youngest Silkies (JOJO & JEWEL) 1 year old also no yellow teeth all white whiteWink

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 4, 2006, 1:05 AM

Post #9 of 67 (3250 views)
Shortcut

hey, i tot u said b4 tat u alwiz brush ur silkies' teeth??

Pacco de Mongrel

chrisong
Doggyman

May 4, 2006, 5:12 AM

Post #10 of 67 (3240 views)
Shortcut

Hehehehe Lazy liaoCrazy. Now no more brushing their teethBlush But, their teeth still white whiteCool

cyling
Dog Kichi

May 4, 2006, 6:43 AM

Post #11 of 67 (3238 views)
Shortcut

Not sure why he got the fungal infection, 3 spots got infected and all kena shaved now Frown I also not sure the reason, may be is from the plant outside my house or spread from my antie's dog. I suspect the later reason Tongue Anyway, he is recovering now Smile but 3 spots botak oledi Frown

He was eating quick these few days with the canned food mixed with the kibbles Cool and this really make me getting worry to "fix" him back to eating only that dry dry kibbles next week.... Must be very stoned hearted ler Tongue

cyling
Dog Kichi

May 4, 2006, 7:27 AM

Post #12 of 67 (3236 views)
Shortcut

"cesar seems to be the most expensive n less nutritional value..... " Unimpressed Thanks for the info Wink I had never compare with other brand coz I like the small size of Cesar, I only feed quarter of the can mixed with hero's kibbles and the remaining to keep in the fridge for the next meal. So basically i keep the opened can 2 days Blush issit okay ?

I dun mind sparing sometime to prepare the food for hero, but I dun wish to make him a picky eater... I feel that this will make him thinks that he is the boss and I will follow his wish Tongue

Btw, Hero sometime do have bad breath, eventhough I onli feed him with the dry food. Any remedy beside brushing his teeth and giving him the greenie ? I think greenie is pretty expansive..

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 4, 2006, 7:58 PM

Post #13 of 67 (3220 views)
Shortcut

haha....would like to tell u greenies got bad reputation.....

i dun feed greenies....coz my dog don't like the smell....

if ur dog chew enuf....his teeth will be clean.....but most dog don actually chew their kibbles....

n can u imagine....we human chewing on our biscuit?? our teeth are getting more accumulation....

i usually provide raw bone marrow once a week..... my dog will chew and chew for hours....

check ur dog teeth b4 giving it....n after chewing it....u can definately see the different...

or else...visit to vet lol....they can help u clean ur dogs teeth....but ur dog need to be sedated....

Pacco de Mongrel

wan
K9 Maniac

May 4, 2006, 9:54 PM

Post #14 of 67 (3217 views)
Shortcut

Amanda, why do you say that greenies has bad reputation? Is it not helpful ?

* ~ My Life Has Changed 23rd June 2008) ~ *

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 5, 2006, 5:02 PM

Post #15 of 67 (3203 views)
Shortcut

since ur dog is a maltese....u can juz give him a small chicken neck... it will be good enuf....

btw, i dun think by providing some delicious food....ur dog will think he is d boss...

in contrast, he would think that u are the greatest boss ever.......

u will also notice tat ur dog will do watever u wan, in order to get to eat the food soonest possible...

tat's y my hyperactive dog could even stay for minutes in order to get it....

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on May 5, 2006, 5:31 PM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 5, 2006, 5:03 PM

Post #16 of 67 (3201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wan] Am I spoiling him?? [In reply to] Can't Post

it can help to clean teeth, but there present other problems...

u can actually search through the internet and u definately can find a variety of sources that states its risk....

its prove that greenies is less digestible than bones.....

usually dogs eat up the portion that seems to be big enuf to cause blockage at the intestine....

while in the case of bones....its digestible over time..... but greenies and other similar dental chew will cause accumulation and this could even reach a fatal state.....

actually juz one bad news is enuf to stop an owner from feeding it.....
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenies
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/.../4910507/detail.html

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on May 5, 2006, 5:53 PM)

chrisong
Doggyman

May 5, 2006, 7:50 PM

Post #17 of 67 (3186 views)
Shortcut

Hi Amanda,

If Greenies is so dangerous to the our dogs, Do you think, why this product still selling it at petshops worldwide??? Why no one banned this product???

Angelic

Chris

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 5, 2006, 8:18 PM

Post #18 of 67 (3183 views)
Shortcut

its juz d same as those fast food, cigarette and alcohol....

every1 know that fast food can increase the risk of cancer...

smoking can cause lung disorder.....alcohol can cause edema, electrolyte imbalance, brain disfunction and even inhibit nerve stimulation

but there are still alcohol addict around, ppl still eat fast food and instant nooodles, smokers are everywhere....

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on May 5, 2006, 8:20 PM)

chrisong
Doggyman

May 5, 2006, 8:28 PM

Post #19 of 67 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Read this for more info about Greenies:

1. http://www.thetruthaboutgreenies.com/...nformation/Index.htm

2. http://www.thetruthaboutgreenies.com/...ced-SunStar.15.2.htm

3. http://www.thetruthaboutgreenies.com/...CourierPost.16.2.htm

Hope others will know more about GreeniesWink

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 5, 2006, 11:25 PM

Post #20 of 67 (3171 views)
Shortcut

its so obvious that the website is host by the greenies company themselve....

from the very 1st page....they denied all the stuff and keep promoting....

luckily they did admit that there is potential risk.....especially is the dog owner swallow the whole big chunk without chewing it up....

but we juz need some common sense..... most dog gulp their food, most of them eat as if they are being starve...... its juz their natural instinct....

so y the manufacturer produce such product that is low digestable and could cause problem if the dog gulp is down.....

as i had state juz 1 misfortune case is enuf to scare some of the sensitive owners.

Pacco de Mongrel

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on May 5, 2006, 11:53 PM)

cyling
Dog Kichi

May 6, 2006, 5:44 PM

Post #21 of 67 (3159 views)
Shortcut

haha... guess everything we give to our furbaby cannot be too much, have to be moderate.... treats, greenies.... Tongue we never know what is the actual ingredient and thse side effect if taken too much or worngly.

Hero doesn't have bad breath these two days.. I didn't feed anything extra or less.. so funny...

Finally he finished his medication and today is the first day of 'fixing" his diet back to kibbles. I reduced the Caser from 1/4 of the canned to 1/6 and tomolo I will reduce it to 1/8. Hope he won't be upset Tongue

cyling
Dog Kichi

May 8, 2006, 4:20 PM

Post #22 of 67 (3143 views)
Shortcut

Today is the se second day I reduced the canned food to 1/8 of the can... Hmm... As predicted, Hero starting to lose interest in his food again, although he knew there is "some" canned meat in there.. And today is worse as he doesn't even care to eat his kibbles + canned food Mad

He seems like losing his interest for his snack as well. Before this, he eats his snack very fast and ask for the next one but recently he will keep the snack in his mouth, walk away to his cushion, "throw" the snack out, smell smell a while then onli slowly eat the snack. It seems like eating very "min keong" Frown Is he trying to "enjoy" his snack or losing interest ???

chrisong
Doggyman

May 9, 2006, 3:15 AM

Post #23 of 67 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Yup, he is losing interest in his food. As I say you need to be stone heart abit. Leave the food for about 1min if he don't come and eat just take it away and he need to wait for his next meal only can eat. When he is very hungry he will eat so no worry he will be fine.

You are the leader not your dog. You setting the rules.

CheersWink

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 10, 2006, 12:26 AM

Post #24 of 67 (3125 views)
Shortcut

i think u must teach ur dog to appreciate food ler.....coz most dog will eat as if they had been starve before....haha...Laugh

so a dog who walk away from his food will look abnormal...Unsure

treats actually is the most attractive food for dogs.....most are them are delicious....

did u actually give the snack out for no reason? u should actually make ur dog to earn for the snack....

train him to stay is the best solution , as i had experience.... hope this will work for ur dog too...

i only give treat during training and when i ask her to do a trick for me.....

this will make her learn that she EARN it.... like we human do.... when we earn hard for sumthing....we will APPREACIATE.

n i alwiz ask my dog to do a 1 min sit-stay be4 eat EVERY meal.

Pacco de Mongrel

cyling
Dog Kichi

May 10, 2006, 3:28 PM

Post #25 of 67 (3119 views)
Shortcut

yeah.. treats and snack only if he does the tricks or command correctly.. for some tricks, the longer he can perform, the "bigger" size he can get for the treats Tongue And treats also given if he pee/poo in the correct place...

I guess he learnt from my fren's puppy, who eats his kibbles by spreading them on the floor then sit down there slowly enjoy. After My Hero with him abt 3 days, he learnt this habit from him liao Crazy Hero took his food out of his bowl, spread on the floor or bring to his cushion and lay down eating there... Mad

Slowly hero also eats some of his treats the same way... ggrr... BAD habit ! Dunno he is lazy or he really know how to "enjoy" Crazy

Abt the wait and eat ... Hero knows to WAIT but he doesn't know EAT command Unimpressed Since the first day I taught him wait and eat.. I have to softly push his head down or push the treats nearer to him then only he knows to eat .. he so 'dum dum' Unsure How you teach him eat ah ?

Yesterday he "ignored" his mix kibbles and canned food and finally he ate purely the kibbles after starving the whole day Sly Hope today he will continue to eat la.. Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my