Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Planning to get a Silky Terrier

lkryan
Novice

Apr 27, 2006, 5:52 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Planning to get a Silky Terrier Can't Post

I'm planning to get a silky terrier. I'd like to know what are the things that I should be looking for while choosing a silky terrier. Any pointers??

Secondly, where would be the best place to buy the dog? I've heard of home breeds are sometimes not screened through for health problems while there are also some threads here that talks about the disadvantages of getting one from pet shops... Although most of the mentioned petshops are rather small ones, but what about places like Pets Wonderland or Pet Safari??

Thirdly, what should be the price like for a Silky Terrier? i wont want to get cheated too...

Please advice :)

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 27, 2006, 6:14 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lkryan] Planning to get a Silky Terrier [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Friendly & Active puppy. Avoid mini size Silky & also puppy that shy away from you.

2. Contact http://www.mka.org.my/contact.htm for a list of reputable breeder. Take your time and screen tru al the breeder before decide which to get it from. Don't rush into buying.

3. From Breeder RM1000-RM1200 & From Petshop RM1300-RM1500

lkryan
Novice

Jun 22, 2006, 12:53 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Planning to get a Silky Terrier [In reply to] Can't Post

I just booked my silky terrier from a pets wonderland. Well, like you said petshop - 1300. Saw the cute dog with my gf yesterday and decided to go for it. Will be collecting it this weekend!

Active dog, medium sized ST pup, female but likes to bite my finger when i play with her! normal?

What are the things that i will need to buy when i go get the dog?

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 22, 2006, 3:47 AM

Post #4 of 10 (1077 views)
Shortcut

Since your already brought it from petshop just make sure they provide u 1 week warranty if ur pup did fall sick fr any illness. Wish ur pup will be healthy one.

Yes. Its normal pup like to bite human finger. Just say "NO" to her if she bite ur finger.

Basic thing u need to buy for ur pup.

1. Playpen (4pc or more)

2. Dog food

3. Comb & Pin Brush

4. Shampoo & Conditioner

5. Doggie Bed

6. Dog bowl

7. Water bowl

8. Container (store dog food)

Good Luck. Just be patient in teaching ur Silky pup. Don't give up.

lkryan
Novice

Jun 26, 2006, 7:22 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1059 views)
Shortcut

I've tried to toilet train my puppy using newspaper, but she doesn't seem to respond to it even i wet it with her pee and relocate it. Some of my friends who owns a dog suggest that i should hit her when she does it in the wrong place then only use the newspaper like above. Should I? Will i hurt my puppy as she is only 14 weeks old?

How long does it take to toilet train a silky terrier?

Also after 4 days, she does not respond to her name too... how can i speed up the learning curve?

And... when will she start to learn how to obey orders like sit, come and down? and how?

i know some questions are quite silly, but this is my first time having a puppy.

netty
Dog Kichi

Jun 26, 2006, 9:39 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1053 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I've tried to toilet train my puppy using newspaper, but she doesn't seem to respond to it even i wet it with her pee and relocate it. Some of my friends who owns a dog suggest that i should hit her when she does it in the wrong place then only use the newspaper like above. Should I? Will i hurt my puppy as she is only 14 weeks old?

How long does it take to toilet train a silky terrier?

Also after 4 days, she does not respond to her name too... how can i speed up the learning curve?

And... when will she start to learn how to obey orders like sit, come and down? and how?

i know some questions are quite silly, but this is my first time having a puppy.

you do have strange friends..... hit a puppyMad

how can they say that????? unbelieveble.

I assume that you reed a lot about dogs, before you did get the puppy?

than you could have reed that you need time and patience to TEACH a puppy everything he or she needs to know

every 2 hours, after sleep, after eating you have to bring your puppy to the place to do her ''thing''

when she or he does, you give him or her a reward with your voice....tell her or she that she or he is great.....show her, him that you are happy with the thing he or she have done.

and after a couple of weeks you see that the dog understand, that when he or she do things you like it to do, he or she gets a reward........

it's not in a couple of days done.....NO weeks!!!!!!!

so be patient and reed about educate your puppie

good luck

noname

Jun 26, 2006, 9:59 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1051 views)
Shortcut

you have to be patient. not every dog is a fast learner. you have to spend more time with your dog, knowing what time he/she going to pee or poo (roughly). so during that time, just put her in the toilet 1st and let him/her do their biz. once done, just praise the dog... important. or can give me treat.

what i done is i just lock my puppy in the toilet. after a while, i will open and see whether he already poo/pee. once done, i let him out. do it for few times and slowly he will learn. so nowadays, he's able to go annd poo/pee at the toilet without newspaper...

step by step my friend. there is no fast track in this...

chrisong
Doggyman

Jun 27, 2006, 3:54 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1040 views)
Shortcut

I've tried to toilet train my puppy using newspaper, but she doesn't seem to respond to it even i wet it with her pee and relocate it. Some of my friends who owns a dog suggest that i should hit her when she does it in the wrong place then only use the newspaper like above. Should I? Will i hurt my puppy as she is only 14 weeks old? As you already say she only 14 weeks old, you should not hit ur pup. When your pup scare of u it make the training more difficult. Use only harsh tone say say NO to ur pup when she done something wrong. If she done it correctly praise her.

How long does it take to toilet train a silky terrier? Patient & consistent with your training, ur pup should be 100% error free when she is about 9month or 10month old.

Also after 4 days, she does not respond to her name too... how can i speed up the learning curve? Used treat to lure her to come to you at the sametime call her name. When she come to you give her the treat in small pieces. Be patient, puppy only have short term memory.

And... when will she start to learn how to obey orders like sit, come and down? and how? Do it one thing at a time. Don't expect ur pup to know everythings. Train her where to pee & poo & calling her name first. After she master it then you continue to train her to Sit ONLY. Don't stress ur puppy too much.

Lastly, Be patient, consistent in ur trainning (Praise) & train one thing at a time.

Hope this help.

lkryan
Novice

Jun 27, 2006, 4:53 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Hey, thanks a lot guys. Smile

Duck
Novice

Jun 28, 2006, 9:30 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1000 views)
Shortcut

I recently bought my silky terrier from Pets Wonderland too!

Female.

Already know how to obey the order DOWN - to lie down flat. I guess you just have to give her treats when she does the right things.

Toilet training - sometimes remember, sometimes after playing with me... totally forget and does a NIKE ~ just do it.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my