Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
New Beagle Owner

wan
K9 Maniac

Apr 14, 2006, 10:27 PM

Post #1 of 11 (506 views)
Shortcut
New Beagle Owner Can't Post

hello my name is wan.. I just signed up this morning..

I've a beagle name Whiskey , 4 months old now.

We're from PJ... nice to meet all of you Smile

Anybody else own a beagle? I leave him at the cage from 7.45am to almost 7pm everyday. Poor whiskey but I really have no choice.

* ~ My Life Has Changed 23rd June 2008) ~ *

(This post was edited by wan on Apr 14, 2006, 10:48 PM)

hoyf
Dog Kichi

Apr 14, 2006, 11:00 PM

Post #2 of 11 (488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wan] New Beagle Owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Wan,

Why do you have to cage Whiskey? Is it because you are afraid of him being stolen? I have a neighbour who cages his spitz the whole day long. Once in a while, the dog will be set free to roam the streets. When they come back from work, the dog will be barking and barking. I think the dog wants to be with the owner but his dumb owner just ignores his plea. Poor fella.

wan
K9 Maniac

Apr 14, 2006, 11:07 PM

Post #3 of 11 (487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hoyf] New Beagle Owner [In reply to] Can't Post

hi hoyf, thanks for your reply.

I am afraid if he's not cage, he will simply bite things especially wires and get electrocuted.

But my whiskey so far has been really good, he doesn't simply bark. Once I come back home I surely will release him until midnight then lead him back to his cage for bedtime.

We're planning to let him roam around the kitchen area but need to fix the door so that he cannot access the dining and living hall. This is another alternative I'm considering.

How about yours? What breed are you having?

hoyf
Dog Kichi

Apr 18, 2006, 11:09 PM

Post #4 of 11 (456 views)
Shortcut

Dear Wan,

Yes, I would agree letting Whiskey roam about in the kitchen area. Another alternative is the toilet. But make sure the toilet is a sitting one and the lid is closed, just in case he climbs into the bowl. So quick get a door fixed. It is also safer to keep your Whiskey indoors at night or when you are at the office. I read recently in the Missing dog section that two big dogs, golden retriever, were stolen from the compound. There seems to be a syndicate catching expensive dogs/puppies going on now. So be extra careful. It is also good to keep Whiskey indoor at night since now is the cold season and you surely don't want him to catch a cold.

My dog is a mongrel which we got from PAWS. His name is Lucky. He is an ordinary looking dog with a red nose. I wouldn't take a second look at him if I were the one selecting a puppy for our home. He was very well behaved. He just sat there quietly looking out at his prospective adopters, when he captured my brother's eyes. So my brother chose him from among the many cute puppies at PAWS. I guess it is his fate to be adopted by us, hence his name. He is the most fortunate among all the dogs which we have owned. We buy him toys, dog food and treats and take him to the vet. Our other dogs just ate whatever we had at home. They never went to the vet and they never had toys. We were living in a small town then. Now that we are all working, we can afford to pamper our Lucky. He is just so lucky.

Tell me more about Whiskey and his likes and dislikes. Thank you.

wan
K9 Maniac

Apr 19, 2006, 5:27 PM

Post #5 of 11 (435 views)
Shortcut

ee.. red nose.. must be so cute .. i've seen red nose mongrel before.. they look very friendly. Is he

brown color ?

Do you have his pic please attach it if can.

yup Lucky is sure lucky to have u as owner... Smile

Whiskey is a very playful dog, likes to play fetch and chase with me. He will do anything that I ask

in order to get his treats. (only if he knows what i mean) He likes to go for a walk too.

What about yours ? How do you normally play with him ? Tell me more.... Smile

hoyf
Dog Kichi

Apr 21, 2006, 12:57 AM

Post #6 of 11 (423 views)
Shortcut

Dear Wan,

Thank you for responding. Yes Lucky is brown in colour, like the normal mongrel you see roaming in the streets. Sorry-lah, I can't attach a photo as we don't own a camera.

Likewise, Lucky is like your Whiskey. He loves to play fetch. When we say ''fetch'', he will pick up one of his many toys from the floor and run towards us but when we want to get it from him, he will run away and he runs real fast. It is a good workout for both me and the dog when we play catching. When I manage to grab on to his toy, he would not let go and we would then play tug-of-war. We do not need to give him treats to make him fetch but he would not give us his toy!

However, I don't bring him for walks because I tak larat control him. He can drag me along. And he has this bad habit of quarelling with other dogs -- either those locked up in their homes or those mongrels roaming in the street. So, to play safe, he has his exercise in our house compound. Lucily our compound is quite big. Our cars are all parked outside the gate because the Lord owns the porch! So have you got your kitchen door fixed? Does Whiskey like his new environment, i.e. indoor?

wan
K9 Maniac

Apr 21, 2006, 1:55 AM

Post #7 of 11 (420 views)
Shortcut

Back in my hometown my neighbour also had a dog call Lucky and brown in color. Light brown. But not red nose.

The way you describe sounds exactly like Whiskey. He also doesnt need treat to make him fetch and would play tug-of-war too. Initially I end up leg, arm and body ache bcos of this game with him as I hardly exercise. So this is really good work out for me too. I would say "Whiskey, where is your rope" then he would pick his rope and starts running. Sometimes I'm so tired just wanna sit and relax he would also bring his rope in front of me trying to make me play with him. Its good that you've a big compound.

We haven't fix the kitchen door. At the moment, I still feel he's ok to stay in the cage cos we bought him a new big cage. So when he grows to adult size and well-behave then we will leave him at kitchen area. Cos he pee alot and sometimes when his toilet is too wet he would not wanna go in and will simply pee here and there. So I wanna avoid this mess.

hoyf, have you tell me where do you live?

hoyf
Dog Kichi

Apr 21, 2006, 3:18 PM

Post #8 of 11 (417 views)
Shortcut

Hi Wan,

Did you change the photo of your Whiskey? I remember seeing him standing beside a washing machine and another pose, if I remember correctly. Yes Whiskey's playing behaviour sounds just like my Lucky. So tired to play with him. Sometimes when I felt that I have played long enough with him but he still hasn't had enough, with either a rope or a ball or a doughnut in his mouth, he will come near me as if pleading with me not to stop the game! And so I have to give in and continue playing with him. It puzzles me to see this behaviour. He's no more a puppy. In August, he will be 2 years old. Your Whiskey is still young, only a few months old. In the morning he will whine calling out to us to open the window to greet him good morning. When I wake up, I usually head for the kitchen first. If I take too long to come to him, he will use his paws to bang on the window pane. Naughty boy! I read that whining is the behaviour of a puppy. Looks like he is still childish.

You mentioned about peeing in his cage. He must be a male. But you said he is being caged at night during sleeping time and when you go to work. So he has to pee in the cage because he cannot do it elsewhere. I think he only correlates cage with peeing. No dogs would want to be in a place which is dirty. That's why Whiskey doesn't want to go into his cage because his cage is now a toilet.

If I find fresh pee marks on the porch floor, I will take Lucky to the spot, let him smell his urine and then beat him and say no. Perhaps, you can train him like this to make him pee only on newspaper placed in his cage and not anywhere else. My Lucky isn't like my other male dogs. He doesn't lift his leg side ways to pee and he doesn't have the habit of peeing everywhere. Most of the time, he pees in the garden, I suppose, because I don't see pee marks. Once in a blue moon he pees on the floor in the porch. And he squats like a female. That's why we always laugh at him, a female trapped in a male body! I don't know if this is normal. Anyway, we are happy because he doesn't dirty the porch.

I live in SS2 near Kayu. If you live nearby, you can drop by when you bring Whiskey for a walk. But I must caution you. My dog is anti-social. Anyone or any dog comes to the front of our gate. He will charge at you and bark ferociously like he's going to break open the gate to get at strangers.

wan
K9 Maniac

Apr 21, 2006, 9:24 PM

Post #9 of 11 (412 views)
Shortcut

Hi hoyf,

Yes I changed the picture. The washing machine one was pic taken a month ago. So updated it with this.

Nowadays when I come back fr work I will lock the cage so that he doesnt go in to pee. He will go to his toilet with newspaper. Your doggie is a very smart dog and very attached to you as well.

I live in SS3. I know where is Kayu normally my hubby and I do go there for Pasar Malam. From the way you described him I can imagine how fierce your dog is when he sees ppl. I won't go to your house and visit. Hehehe...

But it is surely good for you guys as he can take care of your house. I'm surprise that you've the time to cook for your Lucky. If you're a student then I think you can do it else it would be a bit of sacrifice to do. Do you have other family members that helps to take care of him as well?

Thanks for your sharing.

(This post was edited by wan on Apr 21, 2006, 9:29 PM)

hoyf
Dog Kichi

Apr 25, 2006, 9:32 PM

Post #10 of 11 (388 views)
Shortcut

Dear Wan,

Good to hear that you are given toilet training to Whiskey. Carry on.

Oh! so you actually frequent my place every week. My house is at a T junction. It has blue gate and a fierce dog. It's one road away from Kayu. You will not miss it. Our two cars are parked outside the gate because the porch belongs to the lord! You can see toys strewn all over the floor.

Yes, he's a good watch dog. He even busies himself with guarding my neighbours' place. One morning, around 6++, he was barking incessantly. My mother woke up to scold him. Rupa-rupanya, two boys had climbed into my neighbour's compound trying to steal metal pipes and he woke my neighbours up on time. When there are visitors at my neighbour's and if they are talking rather loudly, he too will bark incessantly. He cannot see the visitors as both sides are walled up but he definitely can hear them. That's why we sometimes call him a Busy-body.

Oh! I find it a pleasure preparing food for him. It is easy. Just steam some dory fish and some grated carrot (got this tip from one of the forumer), then mix with his dry food. It is so satisfying to see him eat. He loves avocado. My mother used to say that he is just so lucky because some humans even have not tasted avocado.

Lucky actually belongs to my brother. He was the one who bought him from PAWS. Since I reach home the earliest, I have officially taken over the chore of feeding him. My brother, however, is responsible for bathing him once a week.

Keep me posted of your Whiskey in his growing up stage. Thank you.

wan
K9 Maniac

Apr 27, 2006, 2:32 AM

Post #11 of 11 (379 views)
Shortcut

HI hoyf, I will look out for your house if ever I go there again.Wink

I will try homecook food for Whiskey during the weekend if I can. Will let you know the experience. Thanks so much for sharing your Lucky story with me. Lucky sure is a wonderful dog.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my