Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
HELP!! How to house train a 6 months maltese???

cyling
Dog Kichi

Apr 14, 2006, 7:24 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3474 views)
Shortcut
HELP!! How to house train a 6 months maltese??? Can't Post

Hi all, I am new puppy owner and I am lost now...I need guide from all of u...

I have a 6 months old male Maltese. I brought him back a month ago. He has not been housetrain before this. I have spent about the whole month training him to pee/poo on the newspaper but he seems like not getting the idea.

I work in the day time and I put him i a fenced area in the kitchen entrance. Whenever I first left him in there and walk away quietly, he will pee/poo outside the paper but behind the kitchen entrance, and I have to turn back and clean the mess. Is he trying to use the pee/poo action to get my attention?

I tried to place the newspaper at the kitchen entrance where he usually pee/poo. Most of the time he will pee/poo on the paper. But is this the correct way to guide him to pee/poo on the paper? or i should really hide somewhere until he pee/poo and use the NO command to stop it and bring him to the paper?

I am losing my patient now and starting to get depressed by his action... HELP !!

fiyaloh
Novice

May 11, 2006, 10:10 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyling] HELP!! How to house train a 6 months maltese??? [In reply to] Can't Post

how to hide yourself oh..sure he still can sknow your's smell if you r around him. Just be patient , pay more attention to your's dog. Smile

cyling
Dog Kichi

Jun 26, 2006, 4:11 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fiyaloh] HELP!! How to house train a 6 months maltese??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for replying... I tot my post will be left alone in the forum... Tongue

Well, After 2 months of having Hero boy, I managed to make him to pee/poo at his potty. He knows I want him to do his business in the potty. Whenever I bring him to his potty and command him, if his has the urge, he will pee, else he will just lay down. So, I'll just let him out. However, snce I got my second puppy 3 weeks ago, Hero had have some accident. I really think he wants to get my attention with this act.

But, he no more pees at the entrace of the confined area when I leave him inside for work, he will go to his potty oledi Wink

I do have another problem. When ever Hero did his business (pee/poo) and the potty is "full" (leaving smaller clean area), Hero tends to poo outside the potty. everywhere and anywhere outside the potty, this happens at night when I am sleeping and unable to change the paper Mad ( I am very piggy at night Tongue )

The potty I gave him at night is 70cm x 50cm size of pen with newspaper on top. Anyone have any suggestion ?

Visit Hero and Casper's Blog

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jun 27, 2006, 7:09 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyling] HELP!! How to house train a 6 months maltese??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

How did u manage to train ur boy to eliminate at the designated place? I am having the same problem with my girl, Sasha too. As most of the time I leave her in my room, she assumes that is the place for her to sleep and rest. So whenever I let her out to the living room, she will pee/poo there. I have actually designated a place outside for her to pee/poo... But she will eliminate everywhere but there.

I heard of the puppy trainer spray? Can it work? Please advise. Thanks!

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

cyling
Dog Kichi

Jun 27, 2006, 8:53 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] HELP!! How to house train a 6 months maltese??? [In reply to] Can't Post

hihi...

I have tried the trainer spray, not effect for Hero boy. And I think it is not good for health also. Especially their nose is so near the floor.

It is good that she knows that room is not the place for her to do business. At least she has the instinct that not to dirty the sleeping place. I am not the expert. However, if u plan to paper train her, you can try this:

1) Get the playpan fence, fix it to square shape at the designated place, with the newspaper underneath.

2) Whenever u let her out of ur room, carry her to the playpan first.

3) Command her to do her business. Don't let her out until she does the business, even if she lay down and sleep there. Praise a lot if she do the business, then let her out. If she really didn't do it, let her out after 15-20 mins. but keep an eye on her. Take her in the fence area once u see her in the posture for business.

4) U can leave the fence open in one side when she has done her business.

5) Wait till the next time u think is her pee/poo time, lead her or carry her into the fencing area. close the fence again and repeat step 3.

After a while she will knows that she can onli come out if she do her business. When she is used to do her business there, she will tends to go there, and u can take away the fence. But this takes time. Few weeks for me as I am unable too watch Hero boy full time.

At first, I make the square shape area for Hero boy, but he very naughty and really sleeps inside there, so I make the playpan triangle shape ( smaller area ) to "force" him to do his business faster Tongue

After a few weeks, once he saw I place him inside the triangle area, and trying to close the fence, he eliminate immediately. Wink

One more point, which is not encourage by most of the ppl. But i practise it Tongue If u catch her peeing outside the area after the act, u can try to carry her to the pee pee, point to the pee pee and say NO, then carry her to the fence area and "lock" her inside. This is because she may need to poo poo after that.

Good Luck... Keep me update with ur training Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Jun 28, 2006, 5:19 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3209 views)
Shortcut

hey, thanks so much for the detailed explanation. yeah...i will try it out and update you....hopefully this time will be successful Wink my whole family is getting irritated by her elimination prob...

i actually has a playpen in my room. square shape...for her to stay in when i am out to work.....so that she can play, sleep or even eliminate there....(i actually placed some newspaper at a corner of the playpen for her to eliminate)...however, ended up, she assumes the newspaper is the place for her to rest and she won eliminate there....so each time i bring her out from the room, she will eliminate...Unsure

mayb i should find another playpen or a confined area outside the room for her to eliminate...

anyway, u placed newspaper to cover the whole playpen or just a small space of it?

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

cyling
Dog Kichi

Jun 28, 2006, 11:08 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] HELP!! How to house train a 6 months maltese??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya,

It might be a bit difficult for her to figure out the eliminate area since she also stays inside the square playpan with paper aside when u r not at home. You may try to make the playpan inside ur room bigger than the one at the eliminate area. Easier for her to differentiate the space available for her for different purpose : normal hour and eliminating time.

I started with covering the whole square/triangle area with the newspaper. I slowly reduced the newspaper area only after he used to do his business there. ( with /without the fence ). With fence bcoz Hero sometimes very naughty. After long hour he didn't pee pee and he insisted not to pee, so I will take the fence out. And he will eliminate immediately when I started to "set up" the triangle Tongue

It was really irritating but we just have to be patient. She will get the idea one day. Smile

d3vil
Novice

Sep 1, 2006, 11:42 PM

Post #8 of 8 (3069 views)
Shortcut

Hello there... been reading this forum and its been a great help with tips already! thanks!!

now i got 1 question. Does ur puppy wake up in the middle of the nite to pee/poop? mine does, she's a 2 months old shih tzu...

the thing is, its hard for us to lock her up in the toilet coz she'll bark all nite and NONE Stop while scratching the door for us to let her in... She's only been back at our home for 2 nites... as soon as i open the door she'll happilly come in and sleep next to my bed. but theres been 3 accidents since... and its all middle of the nite :( she's not house broken yet but the thing is my housemates are all affected by her barking... sigh... now i cant go and relief myself in my own toilet coz she's there at nite hahaha

oh btw, i think my puppy poopoo about 2 hours after meals... and sometimes she poo 4 times a day is this normal? i feed her 2 times a day...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my