Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
Bed Wetting!

Lpupsy
New User

Mar 24, 2006, 3:31 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1401 views)
Shortcut
Bed Wetting! Can't Post

Hi! I am having a big headache problem with my 6 months old puppy. He keeps on peeing on my bed almost everyday since we took him back almost 2 months ago. The mystery is, he is actually toilet trained but he seems to like to pee on my bed. I have two older dogs and all 3 of them sleeps with me at night. I know my pup wants to leave his scent or something but it is getting hard to endure the smell of his urine. My pup shows signs that he knows it's wrong but he still does it even right in front of me. The fact is after he has done his business at the toilet area, he seems to keep some amount of urine and jumps straight up to my bed and pee. Or sometimes he just feels like it and pee, there's no timing to his peeing on my bed. My two older dogs never pees on my bed at all, they are toilet trained. My question is how do I stop my puppy from doing that? I have punished him, put him into his crate every each time he pees on my bed, I have sternly scolded him and beat his behind for peeing but he continues doing it every single day. I am beginning to get very frustrated and refused to let him in the bedroom but he shows me his puppy face that eventually he will be forgiven but then he repeats the peeing again and again. Please do offer me some advice because I am getting sick with the cleaning process and the stench of urine is making me very dizzy!

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Mar 27, 2006, 8:33 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lpupsy] Bed Wetting! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have to dispose the mattress and/or blankets which have the odor in it. You could try to use the specially designed odor remover (enzyme based) which is available in pet shops if you can’t afford to dispose those stained items. FYI: dogs will pee where the smell of urine is; hence, once a place is marked this way, it will be used again and again. BTW, never scold or punish a dog for urinating at the wrong spot. The opposite will happen, it gets imprinted into his memory and that is not a good idea. He learnt that he can get your attention with it. For a dog, scolding is better then to be ignored. If accidents like this happen, clean quietly the area very carefully with the a.m. odor remover, If you can catch him in the act, then you can say a very firm and very upset NO and CARRY him to the toilet area. Praise him when he finishes his business there.

Lpupsy
New User

Apr 9, 2006, 7:29 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1348 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Bed Wetting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Joe for your advice, I have given up scolding or doing anything to my pup (Jagger) and to my surprise a miracle happened, he STOPPED peeing on my bed for the longest record ever 7 days, then there were slip ups but only like 1 puddle of pee in 2 or 3 days. I am already very thankful for the progress! Anyhow Joe, if I may just trouble you, I just want to ask you if you maybe would know why my older dog Bono ( 1 & 4 months old)has this big bump just right on top of his rib cage, I am very alarmed cos I just discovered it today and the Vet Clinic is closed until Monday. Could it be that he was playing roughly with his brothers Lennon and Jagger that he could I dunno fractured his bone or is it like us human having a blue and black bump? I am sure it's not a rounded lump cos it's obviously not rounded and it's kinda big on his body. He didn't show any signs of discomfort, he still wants to play and gobbled up his food but I am very worried, I am so afraid that he might fractured a bone and have internal bleeding or something. Thank you so much for your reply. Take care.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Apr 14, 2006, 9:28 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1336 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, have been outstation and could not reply in time. How is your furkid doing? Did you check with the vet? I personally think that it is not alarming since your dog has good appetite, behaves normal and is playful. Our dog got that after receiving his annual vaccination and it did disappear after a couple of days.

Lpupsy
New User

Apr 18, 2006, 6:03 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Bed Wetting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Joe, Sorry for the late reply as well, been really busy with work. Bono is okay now, my vet said that the bump was actually rotting muscle strains, he said that it's because Bono knocked into something while running around in the house. That's how the bump developed. My 3 babies are very playful and quite rough with each other but Bono is the craziest and the most playful one, a real brat as well hehehe. His condition is not serious but my vet says that we have to be cautious cos of the virus from the rotting muscle strains can travel down to his blood veins. If the bump was to be left untreated, sometimes if lucky, the swell (bump) will dissapear but if unlucky and it does happen in some cases that the virus will attack the nervous system of the dog, then that will actually cause a lot of pain and the dog will be seriously sick and may need hospitalization or operation. Anyhow my vet gave Bono an injection, antibiotics and another type medicine to make the bump dissapear. It's already been about a week now and I noticed Bono's bump has turned relatively smaller in size. Again, thank you for your concern and I hope maybe this whole knowledge about the 'msytery bump' can be a reference for you and to others. Thanks again! Take care! P/S: Jagger is back to his old peeing habit, oh well, but the cutest thing happened, Jagger saw rain for the first time and he was so adorable trying to wrestle rain by holding up one of his front paw, PRECIOUS!

mrm9679
New User

Jun 21, 2006, 6:43 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Hi! I was just looking for an answer to the same problem you are having. I recently took in a stray mixed breed female. She is great other than her periodic need to pee while laying with me on the bed. I have worked with animals in a veterinarians office and have never heard of any dog peeing on its owners bed! So, I am looking for answers to but in the meantime I thought I would let you know what I plan on doing tonight. I am going to make Molly (the new puppy) and Jazzie (my nine year old Rott) both sleep beside the bed instead of on it. I am hoping she will have more bladder control while sleeping on her own bedding. I have given her a blanket and pillow of her own. If that doesn't work out I plan on using a crate. I crate trained my older dog and I have never had any problems with her.

Hope you find something that works. Keep me updated!

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Sep 26, 2006, 4:03 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrm9679] Bed Wetting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frownmrm9679...

if u noticed, i have leaved a comment on your post regarding ur puppy's prob of peeing . anyway, hope that helps

to my surprise, my puppy name Molly also haha! what a coincidence !

So how's she now? still peeing on the bed after few mths now?

to make a dog sleep on beside ur bed, is not easy, as they are used to sleeping on your bed. and they are used to sleeping on your bed, is becos they like it and has a habit ade. so. u must first make then like the place beside ur bed first. if not, they will choose to sleep on your bed for the rest of their life !

to control her bladder, its best not to let her drink before going to bed. have to train her, let her know that there's no water before bed. since ur dog Molly is already 7-8 mths now, then must act fast.

i never crate train my dog

My beloved Molly looks like MooMooo

My beloved Snoopy makes 1 of the funniest beagle in the world

My beloved Lassie is the teh-est sheltie although he is a male !

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

| Husky Zai : 24 Jan 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my Jewelleries Online

Photography Business Website coming up soon ^^

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Sep 26, 2006, 4:25 AM

Post #8 of 9 (1129 views)
Shortcut

Frownlpupsy

hows ur kid now?

i had problems with the same thing too.

but i managed to solve it using febreeze spray.

My beloved Molly looks like MooMooo

My beloved Snoopy makes 1 of the funniest beagle in the world

My beloved Lassie is the teh-est sheltie although he is a male !

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

| Husky Zai : 24 Jan 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my Jewelleries Online

Photography Business Website coming up soon ^^

YinMin
Novice

Oct 3, 2006, 11:11 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1112 views)
Shortcut

I used to have this same problem. I let my two cocker spaniels sleep with me. The younger one kept peeing on my bed. When the older one smells it, he'll pee on it too.

What i did was i mixed dettol with water and spayed it on my bed. they don't like the smell so it keeps them from peeing on the bed for a while. but after some time, the little one will pee on the bed again.

anyway, my little one is not so little anymore. i found that after she grew up, she doesn't pee on the bed anymore. so i think it's some bad habbit that can be grown out off. Smile

Frown
Click to view their dogster account
FrownRussellFrown
FrownSparkleFrown
Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my