Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
HELP! My dog barks at me!

irenec
Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2006, 10:34 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2259 views)
Shortcut
HELP! My dog barks at me! Can't Post

My silky has a tendency of barking at me whenever I go out. She will bark angrily at me too if I come home late from work She started behaving this way ever since we moved to a new place. Initially I thought she just needs some readjustment to the new environment. But 2.5 years is a long time, isn't it?

Someone suggested talking to her and tell her that I need to go to work blah blah...Seems to work with her dog. I tried, didn't work. She barks even louder, or so I imagined Mad

Now my neighbours know whenever I go in and out. Talk about keeping a low profile.

Any advice? Really appreciate it!

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 20, 2006, 11:10 PM

Post #2 of 11 (2253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [irenec] HELP! My dog barks at me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think your dog angry because you go out did not bring her along.Sly When you come back late is because he worry about you why so late home and never call home to inform. LOLSly Just joking

Maybe you try to give him some treat before you leave home & also when come back home. It might help.

My Silky will only bark at me when I come back from work. To me they are not angry, they bark at me is because they are happy to see me come back and wanted to know where I been today.Wink Usually when I reach home open the door all of them will just bark at me, and what I do is just give them a hug & they will jump at me and trying to kiss me back. After about minute they all will setter down.

irenec
Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2006, 9:05 PM

Post #3 of 11 (2241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] HELP! My dog barks at me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that.

Day 1 : I managed to get out of the house while she gobbles down the treat.

Day 2 : She managed to gobbled all the treat and barked at me just as I was stepping out.

Day 3 : I increased the amount and made a quick dash. She managed to barked at me as I enter my car.

Days later : She out-waited me to bark at me while leaving her treat untouched.

So that didn't work. For now, I just grit my teeth and endure her barking till I find a solution Unsure

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 23, 2006, 3:29 AM

Post #4 of 11 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Your dog must be very attached to you.Cool

Sorry can't help you to stop ur dog barking. Never experience this before on all my dogs.Unsure

irenec
Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2006, 9:34 PM

Post #5 of 11 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Haha...no solution for now. Let's just hope one day she gets tired of it and stop Smile

Are silky very attached in general? Mine seems to be following me everywhere in the house. If I'm in the shower, she will be waiting outside my bathroom door.

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 24, 2006, 4:26 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2218 views)
Shortcut

In general I think most dogs are attached to it owner. Especially, the owner spoil/pamper them very much wan

All my silkies very attached to me.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Mar 27, 2006, 8:12 PM

Post #7 of 11 (2197 views)
Shortcut

You paid attention when you dog was barking, that is what he learnt. To reverse that: You have to start simply to work in and out without paying any attention to your dog. Leave for a few seconds, to another room, to the garden, etc. Extend the time when he got in use to it. Do not praise or scold your dog for barking. Just ignore him. Come back to the room with a toy and play ALONE. Tell him to stay down and to be quiet. Praise him when he does and play with him shortly. Repeat until he gets the idea that being quiet and patient will eventually reward him. He should learn that within 3 days.

irenec
Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2006, 12:50 AM

Post #8 of 11 (2185 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
In general I think most dogs are attached to it owner. Especially, the owner spoil/pamper them very much wan

All my silkies very attached to me.

Hahaha...you are probably right there.

Must be hard for you when your silkies are very attached to you, yeah?

I know my lifestyle changed after having mine Crazy

irenec
Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2006, 1:03 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] HELP! My dog barks at me! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You paid attention when you dog was barking, that is what he learnt. To reverse that: You have to start simply to work in and out without paying any attention to your dog. Leave for a few seconds, to another room, to the garden, etc. Extend the time when he got in use to it. Do not praise or scold your dog for barking. Just ignore him. Come back to the room with a toy and play ALONE. Tell him to stay down and to be quiet. Praise him when he does and play with him shortly. Repeat until he gets the idea that being quiet and patient will eventually reward him. He should learn that within 3 days.

Thanks JoeSmith for your suggestion. Usually I will put her at the indoor garden as she would deliberately pee in the house when I go out or when she's alone.

So the moment I put her there is when she starts barking. I did try putting her there earlier ie 25-30 minutes before I go out. But she will still bark non-stop even after a while ie without me within her sight.

So what do you think is her problem?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Mar 30, 2006, 8:58 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Same rule applies. Take her on the leash and walk her. Go into the much hated indoor garden and walk out again. This is to confuse your dog, so that going there does not necessarily mean to be alone. Use this indoor garden as a training/playground as well. Teach her a new trick there and give her a morsel for each success. She will love this area in a very short time and will stay there without any problem. Logically, you would try to teach the STAY command there. She would be in SIT STAY position for a few seconds, then minutes and so on. Should be fairly easy to achieve.

irenec
Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2006, 9:18 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] HELP! My dog barks at me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks JoeSmith for the suggestion. I don't think she hates the indoor garden as she spends a lot of time there looking out. She can look outside from the indoor garden. Her water bottle is there. She even has her meals there.

As for your suggestion on staying there with her, I do. At times I will groom her there. If not, I will be tending to my plants there while she will be looking outside at passerbys.

I will try training her there. Hopefully this works.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my