Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Breed Specific: Gundog Group:
the differences between golden n labrador ?? any1 help??

fong928
Novice

Mar 14, 2006, 6:06 AM

Post #1 of 12 (1435 views)
Shortcut
the differences between golden n labrador ?? any1 help?? Can't Post

halo,

wats the difference between golden retriever and labrador retriever ?

r they the same kind of temperament?? frendly?? one is long hair and the other is short??

can anyone explain to me....thx first !!

me is new...wanna to keep a watch dog in house for alerting...not a guard dog. best ideal is a medium watch dog (short hair will be better), once considering schnauzer or toy poodle, but my sis like golden..anyone can give some suggestions?? thx very much !!

good luck,good day,good job!!!

stanleyee
K9 Maniac

Mar 16, 2006, 6:13 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fong928] the differences between golden n labrador ?? any1 help?? [In reply to] Can't Post

well, golden in many ways, the ideal family companion. The affection-demanding,multi-purpose,easy to train and attractive and this is the same as lab...they are jus wonderful. Basically the are from the same family "Retriver". If u really wan a dog which is able to act as a watch dog for alerting... this is not an ideal dog. Im having 2 GR and they really don bark at stranger what more the will wag their tail. Bare in mind, they might even help the intruder to break in. But with proper training they can act as a watch dog as well. Both lab and gr jus love water....they will play under the rain sometimes. FOr GR, u have to keep in mind that the shetter fur will be flying all over the house because of the long lovely coat. Lab. will shetter but not as much as GR cause its short fur and easy to take care. What can i say...WONDERFUL BREED....

I may not be the one who start the fight, but I will not hesitate to finished it ....

"expect the un-expected".....cheers..!!

http://s246.photobucket.com/...07/wollyee/?start=40

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 17, 2006, 4:20 AM

Post #3 of 12 (1388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fong928] the differences between golden n labrador ?? any1 help?? [In reply to] Can't Post

in short, golden hv long coat n labrador wit short coat....

n they could hardly be a watch dog....

schnauzer n poodle are better watch dog to consider or even shih tzu.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

stanleyee
K9 Maniac

Mar 17, 2006, 10:54 PM

Post #4 of 12 (1376 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] the differences between golden n labrador ?? any1 help?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, In US, Virginia, there is a trainer who train Retreiver as watch dog... his quite famous. Anyway I only heard before schnauzer and cocker train as watch dog but not poddle... Its poddle capable of doing that?...Sorry but i don really know poddle well....

I may not be the one who start the fight, but I will not hesitate to finished it ....

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 18, 2006, 12:50 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stanleyee] the differences between golden n labrador ?? any1 help?? [In reply to] Can't Post

its hard to make a GR or a Lab to be a watchdog...unless u send them to professional trainer.....

but in this case, she is now looking for a potential watchdog...therefore GR n Lab is not a good choice...

poodle r good watchdog too....wat i mean watch is...they r very alert n will bark @ intruder.....not attempt to fight with them, ofcoz....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Tiggykoh
Dog Kichi

Mar 18, 2006, 5:15 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] the differences between golden n labrador ?? any1 help?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! I have owned several Labs in the past and have one now - yup, not a guard dog - but they are really lovable! Tongue

As for poodles, have you heard of a breed called "Labradoodle"? Wink It is a cross between a Lab and a Poodle and there are websites dedicated to the breed - just surf the net for the site.... the dogs are really cute and have been bred since 1980s as guard dogs.... talk about best of both breeds!

stanleyee
K9 Maniac

Mar 18, 2006, 6:18 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1354 views)
Shortcut

hey amanda... ur having a Boxer right? How much does it cost for a male Boxer? I used to have a PitBull but now now more already...Rarely know what price is a Boxer because I rarely came across this breed at petshop.....I don't know any breeder as well...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 18, 2006, 7:18 PM

Post #8 of 12 (1351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stanleyee] the differences between golden n labrador ?? any1 help?? [In reply to] Can't Post

actually the boxer don't belongs to me....its my uncle's one....but he put at my house....coz he live in a condo.....weird rite??

but anyway....i think u should also know that the price varies....depends on from where u get it, n their bloodlines....whether pet quality or show quality.....

my uncle get that dog from a friend of his, who doesn't like that dog anymore after purchasing him from a petshop for about 3 months....so he sell off at a lower price....but he bought it for about 2K+

but definately pet shop usually sell low quality dogs at a high price....n usually ppl get cheated by their pedigree certificate...which are usually manipulated....

the boxer cert stated that all his family are champ.....but he ended up with skin disease....n the dr. said that it was pass from his parent....

finding a good breeder need research n also networking with other pet owner....a list that u get from MK* does not mean that they are reputable too....

Pacco de Mongrel

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 18, 2006, 7:21 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1348 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tiggykoh] the differences between golden n labrador ?? any1 help?? [In reply to] Can't Post

ya...i too heard of that.....

its one of those weird crosses that won't be recognize my the club until 20 years later....

i think those so called 'designer breeds' are a popular in so of d western countries....main purpose is also profit....they make up new breeds n the ppl feels attracted to the new look....

Pacco de Mongrel

stanleyee
K9 Maniac

Mar 18, 2006, 9:41 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1339 views)
Shortcut

yeah very true about how ppl manipulate the cert. Like what im havin.. my sis actually know this pet shop and at that time my sis was looking for a GR and she got it cheap at her so called fren pet shop... at first we took home it was a lovely GR.... after 6month, i discover that she's having a hip problem which cause here to be less active and hoping due to the pain i guess...she was certified with hip problem after consulting the doc..But i still wont blame the breeder cause its normal problem for big dogs. So things start to changed. She no more likes to eat her food... and day by day she got skinny until u can play with the bones... tried changing the food but failed... i had to changed her food menu almost everyday... stuff her with home cook food and stuff... 1 day she collapes and jus urine out.. this doesn't happen jus once but so many time.. i bought over the vet but can't find anything... at last they found out the she's having rare health problem...."DEFORM" sad case ... sis cried like hell..

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 20, 2006, 7:06 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1315 views)
Shortcut

another sad story that happened.....

ppl rear dogs to look for comfort n happiness, but ended up being distress...

that's why i don't buy dogs....especially those which are prone to health problem....

Pacco de Mongrel

stanleyee
K9 Maniac

Mar 21, 2006, 12:36 AM

Post #12 of 12 (1310 views)
Shortcut

true... of all the dogs i used to rare.. all no problem but this only... so more told me that this 1 they choose very carefully and bla bla granny stories...so more paid 1k ++.... thats y now i stick back to mongrel or mix breed with free adoption....better lasting and free from all the sickness...jus like the 2 mix rott in my warehouse which i adopted...no health problem..but sometimes also luck and fated to be this way...so now have to treat her like princes lo...Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my