2 Months Old Maltese

jdreamer
Novice

Mar 10, 2006, 2:27 AM

Post #1 of 18 (5075 views)
Shortcut
2 Months Old Maltese Can't Post

Okie, hi..

Here's my 2 months old Maltese's problems. I know that pup loves to bite, dig and chew. But I've been kind of worried with his attitude as today, he biten my hand until red. It was quite painful.

I've been told that to say a firm 'No' when he bites things, including my hands or legs but it seems like its not working at all. I've even try to hit his backside(buttock) or his mouth when he has something like stones, slippers in his mouth and its not working at all.

Sometimes I can tell that he's just being naughty, playful but there's something he can be extremely aggresive. His pace goes faster and he gets things with his mouth faster which also even stronger(thats how he biten me which left a red mark now..).

Its kind of difficult for me to train him as Im a first timer in dog. I've read through a lot of threads in this forum before I post this. Im just trying to ask whether its normal or he hates me or something. Oh, if there are any alternative ways, please do let me know about it.

Thanks.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 17, 2006, 3:41 AM

Post #2 of 18 (5066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdreamer] 2 Months Old Maltese [In reply to] Can't Post

actually since ur puppy had already GET USED TO it already....its difficult to stop tat behaviour...especially u r an amateur...ur puppy had already trained himself to bit those stuff......so its hard to untrained....

the best is to yell at him, before he 1ST approach to bite something illegal or even to dig a hole....that will make him remember...

if an untrained puppy were left alone in the garden, to no surprise he will dig holes. n there is of no point of scolding, as he will never understand what u r mad of..

as for me, i had limited time to fully supervise my dog.....so to prevent my dog 'to learn to chew illegal things' happen, i put everything out of her reach. eg. keeping shoes n sliiper in cupboard.........or another way is to crate him up when u cannot supervised him.....

as u know puppy tends to chew everything single things that they could reach......so provide more variability of chew toy

as he grows more mature, he will recognize what is his chew toy n his owner will be happy to let him chew these.....n later if u place ur slippers on the floor.....he won't even bother about it.....

so be patient n try to accomodate puppy behaviour by changing ur lifestyle too.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Mar 17, 2006, 3:43 AM)

mbless
K9 Kaki

Mar 17, 2006, 7:35 AM

Post #3 of 18 (5056 views)
Shortcut

Hi... yr puppy is still young so train him well.... whenever he chew / bite u whether its accidently / purposely let him know it hurts , by giving a yelp n then scold him... like a deep growl no. Then offer him his toys... n when he play with his toys... praise him.. with a higher pitch voice. Dogs may not understand every word we say but they pick up our body language n the tone of voice...
Always praise him when he chew the right thing. And when its not wat he is suppose to chew scold him n take the thing away. U have to show him u r the leader....
Go buy some books n read up bout dogs... or go into the web (free n good) to find out more of wat u can do. Yr pup is still young so u can still train him.

Kii
Novice

Mar 24, 2007, 9:06 PM

Post #4 of 18 (4875 views)
Shortcut

sigh....my Nici is quite a biter too. I tried to be more stern to her but she sees me as a toy, always curl up by my feet and then starts to bite my toe and when I tried to sayang her, she bites my fingers(in a playful way).

I am a new trainer too.

Perhaps should buy a rotan???

YanYan
Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2007, 2:36 AM

Post #5 of 18 (4865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kii] 2 Months Old Maltese [In reply to] Can't Post

Kii

Your Nici is still a small pup,she will tend to bite and lick more. Puppies mostly will lick

because she/he likes the person or the doggie ways to greet someoneSmile Puppies,even dogs

are very curious to know everything. So they found out stuff by sniffting and lickingTongue

Its their nature to do that. HeheWink It is not a bad thing though.

sigh....my Nici is quite a biter too. I tried to be more stern to her but she sees me as a toy,

always curl up by my feet and then starts to bite my toe and when I tried to sayang her,

she bites my fingers(in a playful way). You have to be patience while keep on saying 'NO' if she did

that so. Well,this process have to be repeat again and again,so need lots and lots of patience lor.

Give her some times to learn what she can do and don't at home.

Perhaps should buy a rotan??? As for me,spanking a puppy is not a good option. Puppies is like

small kids,they surely will do something wrong in their learning process. So,patience is very important

to their growing up process. Try to avoid spanking and praise them when they do the right things.

Good luck

pegs
Novice

Mar 25, 2007, 4:28 AM

Post #6 of 18 (4861 views)
Shortcut

All puppies love to bite and chew anything they can get hold of. This is all part of their growing up. Get your puppy a chew toy. Be patient. Give it a few more months, it will grow out of it.

Kii
Novice

Mar 25, 2007, 5:02 AM

Post #7 of 18 (4861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [YanYan] 2 Months Old Maltese [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Kii

Your Nici is still a small pup,she will tend to bite and lick more. Puppies mostly will lick

because she/he likes the person or the doggie ways to greet someoneSmile Puppies,even dogs

are very curious to know everything. So they found out stuff by sniffting and lickingTongue

Its their nature to do that. HeheWink It is not a bad thing though.

YanYan

Thanks for the advise. Yeah, it was just 1 week living with my new puppy. She's growing up very fast and I'm trying my very best to be a good mommy

sigh....my Nici is quite a biter too. I tried to be more stern to her but she sees me as a toy,

always curl up by my feet and then starts to bite my toe and when I tried to sayang her,

she bites my fingers(in a playful way). You have to be patience while keep on saying 'NO' if she did

that so. Well,this process have to be repeat again and again,so need lots and lots of patience lor.

Give her some times to learn what she can do and don't at home.

Perhaps should buy a rotan??? As for me,spanking a puppy is not a good option. Puppies is like

small kids,they surely will do something wrong in their learning process. So,patience is very important

to their growing up process. Try to avoid spanking and praise them when they do the right things.

Good luck

FrownYanYan

Thanks for the advise. Yeah, it was just 1 week living with my new puppy. She's growing up very fast and I'm trying my very best to be a good mommy to Nici...and of course with the help of my parents who also happen to love Nici a lot. ^__^

YanYan
Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2007, 6:13 AM

Post #8 of 18 (4856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kii] 2 Months Old Maltese [In reply to] Can't Post

Kii

You are welcomeSmile Don't worry,Nici is very lucky to have a good mommy like you!

HeheWink For 1st time owner,it is common to have problems like this. Slowly both Nici and you

will learn everything together. Hopefully the pup-parenting process brings lots of excitement to

both of you Good day

Milosevic
Novice

Mar 25, 2007, 1:13 PM

Post #9 of 18 (4845 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Okie, hi..

Here's my 2 months old Maltese's problems. I know that pup loves to bite, dig and chew. But I've been kind of worried with his attitude as today, he biten my hand until red. It was quite painful.
I've been told that to say a firm 'No' when he bites things, including my hands or legs but it seems like its not working at all. I've even try to hit his backside(buttock) or his mouth when he has something like stones, slippers in his mouth and its not working at all.
Sometimes I can tell that he's just being naughty, playful but there's something he can be extremely aggresive. His pace goes faster and he gets things with his mouth faster which also even stronger(thats how he biten me which left a red mark now..).
Its kind of difficult for me to train him as Im a first timer in dog. I've read through a lot of threads in this forum before I post this. Im just trying to ask whether its normal or he hates me or something. Oh, if there are any alternative ways, please do let me know about it.
Thanks.

Sounds like not only your pup has teething and love to snap but developed and accumulated 'negative' energy inside. Thats why he is quite aggressive while he is playing with you. This could be a symptom of boredom or cabin- fever. Now big deal. If you have time, try and take your pup for a walk outside on a short-leash for 15-30 minutes or playing catch with him to take out the energy. You need to correct this so that he wont become more aggressive and anxious. Like someone above mentioned, you have to say NO and create discipline. You need to step up with limitations and boundaries.

The golden rule of having a dog- LEADERSHIP--> EXERCISE---> DISCIPLINE --> AFFECTION.

The best way to teach a dog to stop snapping is to hand feed him. Grab his food/treat/toy and show to his nose. When he comes forward to get his food/treat/toy, take it away and say OFF (stern not yell) at the same time. Let him sit and know you control of the food, treat or toys. Not him. Then show him again..and say SLOWLY then say TAKE IT. When he takes it gently, then you give him affection and give him affection like rubbing and say GOOD BOY! Dont let him snap and grab. Repeat 3-5 times every day.

However, before you could do this, I suggest you exercise him if you have time by taking him for a walk everyday. It is because it is a lot easier to train or discipline a tired dog because he/she will listen more and more settle. Make sure you use a lot of treat in his training as a reward every time he obeys you. You need to create a timetable and consistency in potty training, meals, sleeping time and etc.

Punishing him..true.. is not the best option especially spanking him. Beware, puppy which well-known for having a 3-yo child mentality knows how to manipulate, protest and tantrum. Puppy could easily get traumatized and wont listen to you. It is difficult to re- train them after. Therefore, you might need to be assertive (with some adjustment and patient) which suit you. Take it easy and dont give up or get frustrated.

Remember.. reward good behavior (with a lot treats), correct bad behavior!! Good luck.

Frown
woof woof

(This post was edited by Milosevic on Mar 25, 2007, 1:31 PM)

alicebear

Apr 22, 2007, 6:47 AM

Post #10 of 18 (4718 views)
Shortcut

Hi all, I also got a two months old puppy. He also like to bite my finger too when ever I am playing with him. Normally, when he bite my finger I will say No then slightly beat his mouth. Am I doing the right move? Hence, I noticed my puppy dont like to lick people. Can anyone tell me why? Crazy Thanks...Blush

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Apr 22, 2007, 7:45 AM

Post #11 of 18 (4713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicebear] 2 Months Old Maltese [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi all, I also got a two months old puppy. He also like to bite my finger too when ever I am playing with him. Normally, when he bite my finger I will say No then slightly beat his mouth. Am I doing the right move? Hence, I noticed my puppy dont like to lick people. Can anyone tell me why? Crazy Thanks...Blush

ALL pups bite. It is a form of play with them. That's how they played with their litter mates. One thing you can do and I have used this one. When he bites you, yell loudly, "OUCH". That is what a litter mate would do if he was bitten too hard.......

The other thing is the bottle of water. Use a new spray bottle and fill it with regular cold water. When he bites or does anything naughty, you squirt him!! All I have to do with my dog is ask,"where is my water?" and he stops whatever he is doing.

Don't ever hit an animal (or anyone for that matter). It doesn't do any good and teaches them abuse.

Good Luck with your pup.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

alicebear

Apr 25, 2007, 7:01 PM

Post #12 of 18 (4691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] 2 Months Old Maltese [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi "Lady Eloise", Thanks for your advise. I tried the method you gave by spray him with water when he try to bite my finger. It seem to be works!! Cool He will back off and stop bitting. After when he try to bite again, I will say "Take water come spray" straight away he stop. This is so cool~!! Thanks a lot

kien29
Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2007, 8:19 PM

Post #13 of 18 (4682 views)
Shortcut

Hi.. am new here.. My Rossi (GR) bites too.. he never bites chair, shoes.. anything.. but he choose to bite his toys, rug.. and my hand and feet!!... I've tried all methods.. from giving a stern NO!.. and tap his head giving praise when he didn't do it and even scaring him with a newspaper (which i know its not a correct way to do that)... but to no avail.. WATER .. is a good choice.. but the downside of it.. he loves water.. if i spray him.. it will make him more crazy...heehehee...

** kien **

Frown Welcome to Rossi's blog Frown

alicebear

Apr 26, 2007, 1:57 AM

Post #14 of 18 (4670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kien29] 2 Months Old Maltese [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kien... Maybe you can try by getting him a chewing toy that will attract him. Since the water spray method does seem to help but make your dog more excited. Hehe... Cool When he bite your finger or feet, firmly tell him "NO" then offer him a chewing toy. Or maybe you can try to hold his neck and his left/right hand then look at him say "No". After hold him up right in front of your eyes and his. I did this to my dog some time and he seems to be understand. I guess Laugh... GoodLuck ~Alice~

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Apr 26, 2007, 8:10 AM

Post #15 of 18 (4661 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi "Lady Eloise", Thanks for your advise. I tried the method you gave by spray him with water when he try to bite my finger. It seem to be works!! Cool He will back off and stop bitting. After when he try to bite again, I will say "Take water come spray" straight away he stop. This is so cool~!! Thanks a lot

He is a smart dog and it seems to me he 'get it'. Now, maybe you could encourage him licking instead of biting. Maybe try to get him a Kong (stuff with plain peanut butter- table spoon) so that he would not relapse because he is still teething.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Apr 26, 2007, 8:11 AM)

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Apr 26, 2007, 8:20 AM

Post #16 of 18 (4657 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi.. am new here.. My Rossi (GR) bites too.. he never bites chair, shoes.. anything.. but he choose to bite his toys, rug.. and my hand and feet!!... I've tried all methods.. from giving a stern NO!.. and tap his head giving praise when he didn't do it and even scaring him with a newspaper (which i know its not a correct way to do that)... but to no avail.. WATER .. is a good choice.. but the downside of it.. he loves water.. if i spray him.. it will make him more crazy...heehehee...

Your case is slightly different than Alicebear. However, you are right on the track. He is goofier and think you are 'teasing' him. No worries...

Keep on making the same high-pitched "NO" or "OUCH" when he bites you. It should be short and high pitched. Remove your hand (or whatever else he was nipping at), walk away and IGNORE him for 2 minutes. Do not scold him and do not talk to him either- walk away pretending you are annoyed. He will learn eventually that this is unacceptable behavior and you are pissed off with his playing- should become less aggressive.

Biting is part of puppy play and they learn with their litter mates when it's too hard. Litter mates yelp at each other when the play has become too rough.

Good luck.
Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Apr 26, 2007, 8:27 AM)

kien29
Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2007, 5:59 PM

Post #17 of 18 (4644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] 2 Months Old Maltese [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for ya all.. tips...

Actually have tried many many methods.. i even pushed him away whenever he tried to bite me.. give him an unhappy face look and walk away ignoring him.. but after a split second.. he will jump back on you and bite again.. Am just wondering why such a " so called obedient dog" like golden retriever will bite us human .. when he sees my mum and brother .. he will bite them too... am just scare i can't train him not to bite.. and he will turn into monster.. the way he growl.. and open close his mouth really scary.. I just hope that this is due to because he still young and playful.. guess i just need to be patient with him...

** kien **

Frown Welcome to Rossi's blog Frown

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Apr 27, 2007, 9:46 AM

Post #18 of 18 (4630 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
thanks for ya all.. tips...

Actually have tried many many methods.. i even pushed him away whenever he tried to bite me.. give him an unhappy face look and walk away ignoring him.. but after a split second.. he will jump back on you and bite again.. Am just wondering why such a " so called obedient dog" like golden retriever will bite us human .. when he sees my mum and brother .. he will bite them too... am just scare i can't train him not to bite.. and he will turn into monster.. the way he growl.. and open close his mouth really scary.. I just hope that this is due to because he still young and playful.. guess i just need to be patient with him...

Golden retriever is a breed which easy to train and super sweet. However, the name itself tells us something. They love to retrieve and often used by the farmers during hunting sessions. They love to retrieve animals such as ducks or birds. Moreover, they love to get plenty of walk and running as part of their routine and nature.

Therefore when your puppy bites, it is part of the nature- teething and chewing inhibition. However, it could become aggressive if you do not redirect this behavior. Try give your dog exercise and take him for a walk if you have time. Apart from telling him 'off' or 'no',
incorporate this exercise + keep telling him. Be patient and keep doing it what you have been doing. Dont give up and worry. He will get the idea. The reason I ask you to give him exercise not only because of his nature to walk but I find it is easy to train a dog and stop their aggressiveness when they tired.

Take it easy.
Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Apr 27, 2007, 9:48 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my