Huge Chewing Problem!!!

YinMin
Novice

Feb 28, 2006, 9:44 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1301 views)
Shortcut
Huge Chewing Problem!!! Can't Post

Hi,

My cocker spaniel, Russell, is driving me crazy. He has chewed up my sis, bf's and my spectacles, 5 pair of my shoes, my bag, my sofa and lots of other stuff. Another anoying thing he likes to do is to chew off the cap of a bottle, bring it to my bed while biting it and spill all the water all over my mattress. And he swallows all the stuff that he chews.

I realize that to prevent this, I should my shoes away, and everything else valuable out of his way, which I am already doing. But the problem is he will bite ANYTHING. and sometimes I am amazed of how he still finds things to bite cause I am trying very hard to keep everything out of his reach.

I think he bites things for attention. Cause usually when he bites something, i will go over to him and get it out of his mouth. and when he sees me coming he will run away thinking it's a run and catch game. I got so frustrated until I started ignoring him when he chews up stuff. But after a week, he had very serious diarrhea which lasted for more than a month. i found all sorts of rubbish in his poo. I took him to the vet and luckily after another week or two, his poo became normal again. after that incident I do not ignore him anymore when he chews stuff. But now i'm back to square one again by giving him the attention he wants when he chews stuff up.

I really do love my dog and i spend all my free time with him. He gets plenty of love and attention from everybody in my family. I buy lots and lots and lots of toys for him, including kong toys which he destroyed within a few days. Yet he still chews up other things. It's very clear he does it for attention. sometimes he pretends to chew on something and when i ignore him, he will follow me every where pretending to continue chewing. then when i try to dig it out of his month, i realise there's nothing there all at. And all that about connecting with your dog, loving your dog, and in return your dog will respect and obey you.... I do all that with him, but it does work. he is just plain NAUGHTY.

I read all the training guides and all the advice given for problems like this. When he does something naughty, I scold him and say "NO". I know he understands the word, but he will continue chewing until i come over and dig it from his mouth. By doing so, I give him the attention he wants, and he will continue chewing up stuff. But if ignore him, I'm afraid of him having very bad diarrhea again.

I am starting to give up. I even tried muzzling him for a while to scare him but it doesn't work. So my last option is to beat him. But even that, he's not afraid and think it's fun and will run around like a mad dog. So now I whack him really really hard. I know you ppl will probably disagree, but I really don't know what else to do. And i know the saying "There are no bad dogs, only bad owners". But I've tried everything and before this I thought that this problem will go away when he grows up. But now he's already 1 years old. I think I spoilt him too much when he was young.

My friends dogs are younger than him and they already have stopped their chewing problem. And before him, I used to have another cocker and she was an absolute angel when she reached 1 years old. I know this problem is probably because he is bored at home, so i try to bring him out for walks everyday. But he is still as naughty as ever.

I don't think those anti-chewing stuff you spray on will help cause i'd have to spray every inch of my place. Kong toys don't work. Chewy toys don't work. Giving him rawhide makes him diarrhea. I'll appreciate any advice. I'm really running out of ideas.

Frown
Click to view their dogster account
FrownRussellFrown
FrownSparkleFrown
Frown

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Mar 1, 2006, 9:03 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [YinMin] Huge Chewing Problem!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You really have a serious problem and I am afraid to tell you that there is no easy or fast solution. It became habitual and this requires intense training session to overcome. Use a professional dog trainer or take a week leave and do it yourself. Start with the opposite action that means teach him to bite and chew on command. You use a command word for BITE or CHEW whenever he does it until he gets the idea. Then you teach him to stop this action by giving the command word OUT. Praise him lavishly whenever he obeys. Have some kong toys available, even when they do not last long. Whenever he tries to chew on something you do not like, say NO and OUT and give him immediately the kong toy instead and say CHEW or BITE and praise him lavishly when he does. He should learn this lesson within a week. Good luck.

YinMin
Novice

Mar 10, 2006, 4:25 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Huge Chewing Problem!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advice. Smile

I have to say that after i bought the cane and whacked him hard a few times, he's not so naughty anymore. I guess last time I used to spoil him rotten and let him get away with things with only a light spanking. My friends who have dogs always told me that I need to whack him hard to tell him who's boss. But I always didn't have the heart to do so until things got out of hand.

Frown
Click to view their dogster account
FrownRussellFrown
FrownSparkleFrown
Frown

babymiki
Enthusiast

May 15, 2006, 8:16 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [YinMin] Huge Chewing Problem!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

My Silky (Germaine), will be 6 months old on 28th May, is having exactly the same problem. She broke my specs few days agp, always wanting to bite my lingerie, toilet paper rolls, hair pins and practically just anything which she can find on the floor or 0on the table as she likes to jump up on them. And she especially likes to smell the rubbish bin =/ She's getting out of control. Sigh.

Frown*~Germaine's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
*~Meeko's Dogster~*Frown

Frown
MY Blog FrownFrown

Frown MY Friendster BlushFrown

FrownI love my darlings Germaine, the Silky Terrier and Meeko, the Miniature SchnauzerFrown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my