House breaking

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aniol
Novice

Apr 28, 2003, 5:46 PM

Post #1 of 27 (6778 views)
Shortcut
House breaking Can't Post

What's the best way to start house breaking a 7 week old mini-daschund? I have a silky buut he still has lots of accidents. I'm getting my little guy on Thursday and want to start out right.
Aniol

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 28, 2003, 6:00 PM

Post #2 of 27 (6758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aniol] House breaking [In reply to] Can't Post

hello,
We have several threads about house breaking here. You may want to find that out.
I spent around 3++ weeks to train my Goldie. So, you need extra patience Wink

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

Aniol
Novice

Apr 29, 2003, 10:20 AM

Post #3 of 27 (6741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] House breaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Trivor. I looked around and found some ideas. I just want my little guy to start out on the right foot. How old is your dog?

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Apr 29, 2003, 6:13 PM

Post #4 of 27 (6740 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone,
I know this is irritate questions because there are too many topics on house breaking and I'm one of them facing the same problem. So I just add in my problem in here and not going to open a new post topic. Hope all the friends out there can help me.

Russel (ECS) is my new member join me only about 10 days. He just turn into 8 weeks old last sunday. I do read lots of comments here and on books how to train him eliminate on paper. Most the idea is to carry him onto the paper when see him put down the head and sniff right?

My problem is : Whenever I do that Russel will just stop poo and go on playing!?Crazy If I carry the paper and put under him when he going to poo, he will just 'look' irritate on the paper and go away find another new spot. Also he sniff only very short time and poo very fast.. sometimes I can't catch him on spot. He doesn't like to soil his sleeping area, so whenever we release him free, I have to supervise him closely because he going to relieve once he is out.

Some will advise that we shall put newspaper on their sleeping area to prevent accident. some will say we shoun't coz they will then reject to eliminate onto paper coz they though paper is their sleeping area??

I have no problem with my another dog JOJO, because she raise up on street and always will only relieve himself on grass when we bring her out. Since Russel is too young and staying indoor, I wish someone out there can help me to solve the problem so that I can let him free in the house once he can house break. Anyone can help me paper train on Russel??
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 29, 2003, 6:25 PM

Post #5 of 27 (6736 views)
Shortcut

hello Aniol,
Trivor is a 4 months old Golden.
It was hard at 1st, but it would be easy later. Be little extra partience is the key.Laugh
happy training!!

~ Trivor ~

milooh

Apr 29, 2003, 7:10 PM

Post #6 of 27 (6734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] House breaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Milo was 6 1/2 weeks old when we brought him home. I dont really know your situation but as far as possible, try to have Russel potty outside on the grass. The house breaking threads emphasized on timing and language. When you think its time, bring Russel out to the grass and tell him "Go potty!" in an upbeat manner. Give him time to sniff his new surroundings and when he goes, praise him and give him a treat.

If Russel doesnt go, bring him back and try again in about 15 minutes and crate him while waiting for the minutes to pass. I think there are house breaking aids in the pet shops where the papers are scented so that your pet will poop on the paper. The problem with this is when the dog gets older, it will poop on any newspaper laying around in the house. This is real because I have spoken to someone who used this kind of house breaking aid when her dog was a puppy.

And of course, be patient. It took me about 3 months to train my border collie and I almost brought her back to the rescue network. Just kidding!!

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Apr 29, 2003, 8:28 PM

Post #7 of 27 (6724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] House breaking [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the reply. I'm thinking to let him poo on grass once he grow older. May be when he is up to few months old. Now he still looks young to me? and I worry he might bring fleas and ticks from grass to my house. That's why I want to train him on paper first. As I am concern, if once he outside house train, he will still pee in my house for accident? (JOJO is the caseUnsure) If he knows pee and poo on paper is more easy for me to release him free 24 hrs. (or at least most the time when I'm around? Smile)

Russel not pee so often as JOJO, (I think JOJO got bladder prob during pup time) still I guess is very tough job for me one hour have to bring him out to pee few times?? hahahaha...(everybody read up to here be sure wanted to scold me for being lazy).

Any comments? Or as you say after he used to eliminate indoor he won't go for outdoor? I guess this might happen, thanks for remind me..I'm confuse now what shall I do.. indoor / outdoor?!Unsure

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 29, 2003, 8:35 PM

Post #8 of 27 (6724 views)
Shortcut

hi,

my GR is currently 2 1/2 yrs old now, and i recall when i brought him back the first time, he had accidents at home.

the way for housebreaking is to understand how they do their "thing". and also, where would u like your little guy to do his thing. on the grass maybe? on a designated part of a cement maybe?

there are handfuls of method out there, based on your own preference. many people use the newspaper method, where they see the dog that is in a ready-to-poo position and quickly slip a paper under the fellow. for myself, i find the paper method not really effective, as like shirley's dog, my dog didn't like the idea of doing his business on newspaper.

i didn't want my dog to soil my grass at home, so i designate him to a small compound of cement to pee/poop. he only do his business there - never on the grass. when he wants to go, he'll scratch the door and do it there.

so, timing is everything. you'll know about what time your dog will wanna pee/poo, and when the time comes, place your dog at where you want him to do it instead of letting him roam around and create accidents everywhere. if really accidents happened, what i did was scolding my dog (WHILE he was pooping, not after) and clean up after him, scolding him while doing so. soon, he'll get the idea that pooping there is not a good thing.

on the other hand, if he does his business on the right spot, praise him happily. make it a really big deal. if you're good enough, they'll be able to see the difference, and if you're consistent with it, they'll do it at where you want them to.

i hope this helps. these are my methods which i feel it helped made things easier. there are also other methods, like buying the toilet training pad, and etc, this is my own experience. remember, TIMING IS EVERYTHING.

happy potty training :D !

regards,
hunter

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 29, 2003, 11:24 PM

Post #9 of 27 (6717 views)
Shortcut

hello Shyeow2,
Doggies will not dirty their sleeping/ playing/ eating area. Don't ever exhibit the dirty habbit!! It should be seperated from each other.
well, this is how I trained Trivor last time Cool
If she poo-pee in wrong place, I will pull her head down and let her smell her own poo-pee, and keep telling her "NO, wrong place. Not here", and bring her to right place, pat her gentally, say "poo here ok?". If I catched her poo in wrong place again, do the same thing repeatedly. If she poos in the right place, praise her continuosly. Let her get the msg and feel happy when doing right things.
Also, I clean the wrong place thoroughly with Dettol. Don;'t leave any smell or she will go back to the place again. DOn;t throw away the newspaper, leave it there for several days so that she will go back to the newspaper.
It is useless to put newspaper when she starts poo, it will scare her away and poo in other places.
well, have little more patience during training. that was the advise I received and will pass down to people haahaahaaa.... happy training!!

~ Trivor ~

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Apr 30, 2003, 12:27 AM

Post #10 of 27 (6714 views)
Shortcut

Errr.. first of all thanks for the reply. I think let our doggie to smell their own poo/pee if they make a mistake is not that good!? Unimpressedcorrect me if I'm wrong? Tongue I did read somewhere that we should treat them as baby when they are still pup.. I'm sure we won't let our new born baby smell their poo/pee if they make mistake?? Anyway, may be it works well for u??Wink

But you are right, whenever I try to put newspaper under him will only scare him off and forget about he needs to poo in the beginning.. he will just walk away and play again.Crazy

Luckily u remind me they won't poo on their playing area.. may be I need to train him in specific area then.. coz now I let him free everywhere..

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 30, 2003, 12:38 AM

Post #11 of 27 (6712 views)
Shortcut

yeah, you are right not to force them to smell their poo & pees. But of they made mistake and you don't bring them back to the "crime" scene, they will never learn their mistakes.
Happy training...

~ Trivor ~

milooh

Apr 30, 2003, 11:35 AM

Post #12 of 27 (6700 views)
Shortcut

Peeing and pooping on the grass is not a problem if your dog is given advantage, frontline or revolution. It is safe for puppies age 6 weeks or older. As for bringing back grass, I wipe all my dogs’ feet when they get in the house. I guess we subject our dogs to lots of conditions and restrictions. We want them to pee and poop at certain places, at certain times, don’t bring back ticks and fleas, don’t track dirt and grass, etc. I guess its only fitting that we should accommodate our dogs, be very patient and provide lots of encouragement.

Milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 30, 2003, 5:52 PM

Post #13 of 27 (6693 views)
Shortcut

Hi Shirley Smile

When I Sparkle came to join our family he was peeing and pooing everywhere too. Bought the housebreaking aids from the pet shop but he just didn't bother.

Finally what we did was soak a kitchen towel with his pee pee and cleaning the area clean with disinfectant a few rounds. Then we placed the soiled towel to where we want him to pee. First the first few times when we see him circling around looking for a good spot, we'll pick him up and put him near the soiled kitchen towel. We didn't force him to smell it but placed him near enough. He went by himself and pee-d on the right spot! Did that a few more times and he kinda got the idea...pee and poo at that spot. By the way, it took us less than a week after we experimented with the kitchen towel! Wink

Hope this helps!

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Apr 30, 2003, 6:08 PM

Post #14 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] House breaking [In reply to] Can't Post

hunter : thank you for your ideas. U remind me that we not only can train them on paper or grass but also on certain part but cement area. Since Russel don't like to pee on paper (I only realise there are some dogs really stubborn after I read your case) so I decided to train him in the toilet.

This is so much easy to me because I can just clean up the toilet afterall. Paper more difficult that I have to lie around all area he goes.

It's really work! I'm so happy! Wink Last night I fence up part of the toilet and his sleeping area, since he doesn't like to soil his area..he will goes in the toilet and pee in it. I think this is first step success?? Unsure Hopefully when he used to pee/poo in the toilet he will goes in himself without fencing..Smile

Trivor : hahahahaha..may be that is a way too?! but the breeder warm me that cocker spaniel quite stubborn, so I better don't punish them, otherwise they will do it again. So I think I just try to train him patiently.. NO CHOICE lor...Unsure

Milooh : Hmmm.. yeah agree with u, I think grass is much more prefer for dogs and is easier to train too? I guess.. coz I train JOJO on grass..

but now since I train him in toilet can get good result, I will try to train him in toilet first.. if really doesn't work then I will bring him out and relieve in my garden Unsure

cshellz : Yeah.. I think I read it somewhere Uncle Derrick did teach us that jalan, now he pees in my toilet only when I fence up part of his sleeping area and my toilet.. I didn't clean it away, so he continue pee in it.. Since most of you say soaking the towel put in the toilet will work.. I will do it tonight and put in the toilet when I let him free.. see he will do it in my toilet or not? If it really work for Russel, I will really sincerely want to belanja u lor!? hahahahaha.... (hopefully for Russel is less than 1 month - I'm not expecting 1 week for him..Unsure)

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 30, 2003, 6:31 PM

Post #15 of 27 (6689 views)
Shortcut

hi Shirley,

hope it works for u!! hehe...just dun belanja me dog food can liao..Unsure Tongue Wink

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 30, 2003, 9:14 PM

Post #16 of 27 (6682 views)
Shortcut

hi shirley,

i'm really glad the method is working for Russell (i find him rather similar with my dog). make sure lots of praise and hugs given to Russell when he do it in the toilet.

btw, few months after my dog is used to doing his business on his area, i took him out for walks sometimes and allowing him to pee/poop on grass (i pick up after him) - because from what i know, dogs love grass. it won't be fair for them to ask them do their business on cement forever. but when i didn't take him out, he'll go back to his private toilet (cement) and do his business there.

toilet training requires patience. especially when your dog is still a baby. they can't quite control their bladder well. as time grows, they'll do better. happy training.

regards,
hunter

shyeow2
Canine Addict

May 5, 2003, 5:56 PM

Post #17 of 27 (6669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] House breaking [In reply to] Can't Post

hi cshellz,

tak boleh lar... i use the clothes with his pee and put in my toilet.. u know what he do?? when times I ask him 'hurry up' he follow me go in the toilet and lie down on the cloth!!!!!?PiratePirate AIYYOOOOOO... any other jalan?

hi hunter,

hai~~ last week, he did some mistake and pee near his area again?! when I extent his sleeping area.. why like that?Mad

however... I bring him out and he did his business outside.. I guess is really quite easier training them outside than inside.. but I still prefer my toilet.. otherwise he can't free most the time..

anybody any idea?

Btw, what age shall we start trainning them? He can response 'sit' n 'down' but he always just do it for while.. and then he looks so frust and jump..jump..jump..to reach food in my hand or run away from me to search his food in my kitchen. Am I trainning him too early? he is 9 weeks old now.

milooh

May 5, 2003, 6:02 PM

Post #18 of 27 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Your puppy is not too young to be trained. Keep the sessions short and if he looks frustrated, then let him go play. Your puppy is still young and attention is very short. Dont leave food in the dish if he doesnt finish it so that he knows you control his treats and food. We trained our dogs to sit and stay while we put down their food. They only eat when we release them. Its like, "Okay, eat."

Milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 6, 2003, 8:06 AM

Post #19 of 27 (6658 views)
Shortcut

Hi shirley,

Try a little longer la...puppies tend to be a little playful and although it takes them slightly longer to understand, they will eventually. Smile Whenever I catch Sparkle doing it at the wrong place, I'll scold him and say something like "bad boy!" or "no!" but when he does it where he's supposed to then I'll praise him and hug him. At the beginning after you've placed your cloth at that spot, you might need to carry him there whenever you see him sniffing around to look for a spot to pee on. when he cannot tahan he'll do it where you place him And once he does that, praise and give him a treat lor. Smile But must be patient leh....cause sometimes the puppy might know you're trying to say something but they can't figure out what yet.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

May 6, 2003, 9:09 AM

Post #20 of 27 (6657 views)
Shortcut

HI Shirley,

Give your puppy some time, at abt 8 weeks old they are still too young to be able to understand what you wants... It takes time for him to understand what you are trying to tell him to do and at this age, they are unable to hold their pee & poo.

Mocha (my puppy) took 2 weeks to understand me and do it correctly and for the 1st 2 weeks she was unable to control herself at all... until she was a lil bit older. patience is the key word.

cheers,
minglmy

shyeow2
Canine Addict

May 6, 2003, 10:06 PM

Post #21 of 27 (6651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] House breaking [In reply to] Can't Post

hi cshellz,

yalorr... I have to be more patient.Unsure I still believe your method, may be my timing control not so good yet.. (like hunter advise). I will be keep on trying...trying..trying...

hi Ming Yang,

Last few days I found him can concentrate better already. He always try his way see will it work (not to obey to get the treat) until he knows he HAS to do it, then only he will do it.

He obey me better now. Hopefully can be better, better...

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

May 7, 2003, 9:33 AM

Post #22 of 27 (6640 views)
Shortcut

Hi Shirley,

Dont worry in time, it will definitely gets better especially when you are giving him loads of patience when training him. Enjoy ya !

cheers,
minglmy

shyeow2
Canine Addict

May 7, 2003, 6:02 PM

Post #23 of 27 (6634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] House breaking [In reply to] Can't Post

aiyoo your dog so cute la

is it a chi hua hua

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

May 8, 2003, 3:45 AM

Post #24 of 27 (6624 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Shirley,

Mocha is a miniature pincher.... btw, I have just noticed that you have moved from Sunway to Putra !

cheers,
minglmy

neurotoxicz
Dog Kichi

May 9, 2003, 10:15 PM

Post #25 of 27 (6606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] House breaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Housebreaking.....i got a mini Dachs too!....but she pees in my study room and mats....how to train her??The easy way...?Should i teach her to elimnate only in her special box or something like that?How do i start??Thanks!Has anyone in this forum failed to toilet train their dog...???
[~*~NeuR0ToxiCz~*~]

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my