Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
any precaution before & after spay?

wendychin83
New User

Feb 21, 2006, 5:30 AM

Post #1 of 7 (976 views)
Shortcut
any precaution before & after spay? Can't Post

This is my first time have puppy, therefore hopefully i could get some precious advice from here.

I've already make an appointment with the vet to have spaying for my puppy. She's now 9th month.

may i know is normally how long the puppy should have to stay with the vet during the surgery? Is the surgery safe? really worry bout her.

besides, may i know any precaution needed before and after the spay?

thanks for the advice and really appreciate on it.

timmy
Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2006, 6:36 PM

Post #2 of 7 (967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wendychin83] any precaution before & after spay? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ! timmy (male shih tzu) will be castrade next mth, can't share w u now anythg yet, what i know is the first 3 days he may need lots of rest and suffer pain fr the wound, so i plan to take off fr work for first 3 days, let him wear the e-collar (To avoid him to scratch the wound). he needs to fast 1 day ahead b4 the surgery- i,e. 7pm the night before. all these told by my vet.

timmy is 3 yrs old now, as one of his testis is deep inside, so its kind of complicated surgery told fr many other vets, but my current vet is very experienced n old enough to handle it, and he told me its very simple operation, nothing to worry about. and he assure me its very safe n simple, and fast.guess i have peace of mind after he told me many times.

a_evie
Doggyman

Feb 23, 2006, 7:19 PM

Post #3 of 7 (948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wendychin83] any precaution before & after spay? [In reply to] Can't Post

has she been thru her first heat? just ensure that she is nto on heat during the surgery...its harder for the vet to perform the surgery. a good vert will examine your furkid properly for that.

do not give her any food or water for 12 hours before surgery (but i did give her some licks of water lah).

surrgery is relatively uncomplicated. normally furkid will be good to return with you on the day of surgery itself.

shalom's last meal was the night (monday) before her surgery. surgery was at 4pm the next day (tuesday). we took her home at 7pm..she was all blur and super manja (she is a big manja potty anyway).

did not eat on tuesday nght...walking around blur looking. but came wednesday morning..she was pretty much her old self. and started eating.

one precaution...make sure she does not JUMP for 3-7 days. as much as thee stitches has healed, the inside of her body is still raw and sensitive..so we cut out her runs up the staircase and obedience practices. for 1 whole week, she joined her daddy and became the absolute couch potato.

a_evie
Doggyman

Feb 23, 2006, 7:21 PM

Post #4 of 7 (945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy] any precaution before & after spay? [In reply to] Can't Post

our westie was neutered only when he was 6. he was ok after the surgery..but did show his disgust at our decision to neuter him by pooing in his daddy's room!

that aside he was ok as usual. like our shalom girl, we minimised his physical activities for a week after surgery.

timmy
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2006, 8:45 PM

Post #5 of 7 (942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] any precaution before & after spay? [In reply to] Can't Post

thks for sharing w us. so do you let your dogs roam around alone at home after the surgery? cos i still worry shall i leave him alone at home after 1-2 day of the surgery. is it safe?

another question, when u pick him fr the vet, do u hand carry him? is it ok tp do so as it wont hurt his wound?

a_evie
Doggyman

Feb 23, 2006, 8:58 PM

Post #6 of 7 (939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy] any precaution before & after spay? [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah..they roamed freely. but we did leave for work later than normal...and went home super early and during lunch break.

we carried them both. just avoid the area where they have their wounds.

as they normally sit wuth me in the car, i added a towel (thick) one to cushion them and got hubby to drive as gently yet as quickly as he could so thata kiddo don't feel uncomfortable. yeah plan your journey if you think necessary...to avoid road humps. i can imagine d pain if we were to go thur the humos and bumpy roads while having surgical stictches on ourselves!

timmy
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2006, 10:26 PM

Post #7 of 7 (937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] any precaution before & after spay? [In reply to] Can't Post

ya thks. will drive very slow. i guess i wont carry him, will put him into travel carriage instead. cos i may accidently touch the wound.

do u put e -collar for them?poor thg cant eat for 24 hours, i hope my timmy can tahan hunger, he eats lots normally, need supper every nite b4 go to bed too,such as 1 slice of bread/biscuit, if not he will whine non stop till i gave him.Crazy

did u groom ur doggie very short b4 spay/neutering? is it ok to keep it medium length?ant special food u cooked for them during the recovery period?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my