My Lab never bark strangers..

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fevercrash
Novice

Feb 12, 2006, 6:01 AM

Post #1 of 28 (3165 views)
Shortcut
My Lab never bark strangers.. Can't Post

Unsure i got him for almost a month, he is now about 3 months old and I never heard or saw him barked any strangers/passerby walked passed my house instead he just stared at them in curiosity. i just wanna know wether all labs also like that, so what happen if buglars broke into the house, will they alert us or waged their tail cos of their friendly temperament..hope you all experience lab's owner can share ur experience..thanks in advance

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2006, 6:39 PM

Post #2 of 28 (3146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fevercrash] My Lab never bark strangers.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Fevercrash,

Well, are you looking for a guard dog? Trust me, lab is the last on the list you would want for the role Laugh.

I have a lab who seldom bark and when she did, rest assured too that it was for the purpose of 'asking' her sister, a mix breed, to play with her, hahahahahahahah..... Some time, we heard her bark, like, once every other day.

Hate to tell you this, but once, there was an Indonesian worker who scaled our backyard wall as he needs to fix our neighbour house. Not only she (my babe) didn't realise that somebody was on the verge of coming into our compound but she was sooooo busy 'entertaining' us that we have to keep nudging her and telling her that there was a stranger. By the time we managed to get her to see the 'stranger', she just looked at him non-chalantly and turned back and played with us . My other dog, starts barking and growling at the fellow.

We can only count on my mix breed (Reyyee), who barks at basically everything that moves and Kookee (my lab) as the companion to Reyyee and myself in particular.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

natasha_fernz

Feb 14, 2006, 11:45 PM

Post #3 of 28 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Hello...

Don't worry about your lab NOT barking. He's still young... My Cleo only started barking when she was almost a year old, and even so very rarely. Labs generally don't bark very much at all.

Labs are NOT good guard dogs BUT when they are older they are pretty good Watch Dogs...

Cleo never barked at anything and anyone, and we were beginning to wonder if she was mute...Currently she is a VERY GOOD watch dog. She's very alert and although NOT ferocious, she does bark when they are strangers in front of the house. She will rush out of the house and start barking at them (not menacingly) look at me to find out if she should continue or stop. If I tell her it's ok, she'll run back into the house and be quiet.

Cleo also has very sharp hearing. If there are strange noises she hears them even if I can't hear them, and she will go and investigate. So I always keep an eye on her when I'm home alone cause she'll cock her head to one side the minute she hears something unusual. I basically feel pretty safe with her.

So hang in there with your puppy... he'll bark soon enough.
Natasha Fernz
Frown

CLEOPATRA'S Blog:MAD ABOUT LABRADOR RETRIEVERS

chuckchung
Novice

Feb 15, 2006, 8:27 PM

Post #4 of 28 (3111 views)
Shortcut

Labs are good watchdogs but not guardogs. They r d most populous dog breed in USA which majority of homes are not fenced. That puts Labs at not aggressive and good to children, other pets, and strangers.

I'd two labs, a female which will only bark at us for attn and food and will open doors for strangers in for coffee. This lab was taught to bark by another "borrowed" dog that barks at strangers. Once she barks, we will go out and bark with her and clap and say good dog and generally cheer her on so she knows she's doing the right thing. Now she's learnt to bark at strangers.

My other male Lab will bark at strangers and charge up to them up to a foot away & then stop. Very intimidating. We r happy that he doesn't bite, but he's still an animal and v (plus you shld) keep the dog a safe distance from strangers.

So if you want the best M'sian watchdog - mongrels r best, they bark & will sometimes bite.

Find me a pool, & I'll show u a happy Labbie

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2006, 10:03 PM

Post #5 of 28 (3108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckchung] My Lab never bark strangers.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, yes, agree on the part of 'opening doors for strangers in for coffee'. Oh, and add cakes to it Tongue. A friend has a male lab who barks his head off at us last time we been to her place. He also appears aggressive. I'm starting to think that male lab does bark but female lab rarely do so.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

chuckchung
Novice

Feb 16, 2006, 4:15 PM

Post #6 of 28 (3092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kookee] My Lab never bark strangers.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen d pix. kookee is very good looking.

when can i come over for coffee & cake?

chuckchung
Novice

Feb 16, 2006, 4:18 PM

Post #7 of 28 (3091 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

if u r in d pj area, wld u like to socialize kookee. i've a 3 yr old black lab?

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2006, 6:28 PM

Post #8 of 28 (3082 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

if u r in d pj area, wld u like to socialize kookee. i've a 3 yr old black lab?

Hi Chuckchung,

We are in USJ. My, my, a black lab. They are pretty rare. Gush, gush! He must be very handsome, what's his name or is it a she? Can post pix? I bet his/her fur must be very nice. I have a mix named Reyyee, she's also a blackie.

Coffee and cake, yeah, that sounds good Sly. Maybe can have ice-cream as dessert. Kookee eats everything (the reason why she's overweight). I do receive a lot of requests from other forum members for furkids social meet up. Any idea where's the ideal place to held this type of gathering?

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

chuckchung
Novice

Feb 17, 2006, 1:15 AM

Post #9 of 28 (3070 views)
Shortcut

i was gonna ask u d place for furkid meet, but sigh! i can only salivate wen i hear d s'poreans talk about bringing their dogs to sentosa to swim and meet at d park.

i read sumwhr in d forum abt Central Park in BU. wld u know if its allowed for furkid meet n swim in the pond??

will post my black lab pix whn i've a good 1. right now i've an overexposed 1 since he's black & against a light background.

natasha_fernz

Feb 20, 2006, 8:24 PM

Post #10 of 28 (3052 views)
Shortcut

Hello...

Just thought I'd let you know that Central Park in BU is NOT open to dogs on normal days... We are only allowed to take our furkids there on the Doggie Days organised by Puppy.Com. Don't know if there are other events organised by other clubs there...

We take Cleo walking at taman tar in Ampang quite often. The walking track there is very nice, with jungle surrounding it. Dogs are very welcomed there as most of the people there are expats. And even the malays don't mind the dogs.
Natasha Fernz
Frown

chuckchung
Novice

Feb 21, 2006, 5:09 PM

Post #11 of 28 (3037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [natasha_fernz] My Lab never bark strangers.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Nash,

Thanx for d tip. But how'bout a brief descrip where to turn off Jln Ampang into Tmn TAR.

Where had u taken ur labbie to a beach? What was ur experience with d locals wen they saw ur lab? Was d beach secluded enuff 4 u to let loose ur lab?

Thanx 4 ur patience w my 120 Q's.

natasha_fernz

Feb 21, 2006, 7:22 PM

Post #12 of 28 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Hello there...

We took Cleo to Pork Dickson... She really had a great time there. The beach was fairly quiet in the morning but it got busier in the afternoon so we left by 2pm or so...

And as well we were lucky that it was a cloudy day so it wasn't too hot for the dogs. Otherwise I would recommend that you take them to the beach before 10am and leave by 12pm... cause the hot sand will burn their paws and if your lab is a yellow lab, he'll have a high chance of getting sunburnt and a heat stroke. Make sure you bring along lots of clean fresh water for them cause they can't drink the sea water...

I wouldn't recommend letting your dog loose unless his recall is excellent... Cleo is still a bit iffy at times...besides it's always safer to keep them on leash esp since it's the sea and they may drift too far and not be strong enough to fight the currents. We only took them into water up to our waist where it was enough for them to swim cause if you have a problem it'll be difficult unless you're also an excellent swimmer.

I've posted details on my website

http://labradorretriever.blogdrive.com

If you decide to go you can always get the phone number of the caretaker from me...

I've posted the details on how to get to Taman Tar in a new Thread in the Dog Friendly Places forum so that tohers can also get the info if they look there...

Have fun... Wink
Natasha Fernz
Frown

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2006, 9:37 PM

Post #13 of 28 (3020 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Nash,

Thanx for d tip. But how'bout a brief descrip where to turn off Jln Ampang into Tmn TAR.

Where had u taken ur labbie to a beach? What was ur experience with d locals wen they saw ur lab? Was d beach secluded enuff 4 u to let loose ur lab?

Thanx 4 ur patience w my 120 Q's.

Hi Chuck,

Yeap, brought my furkids to PD once. Have a wonderful idea of taking them for a good swim. However, we make a mistake by taking them to public beach. We were scolded by some malay guys who were there at that time. Came up to us and said shouldn't bring our dogs and should't bring them into the sea coz loads of people are swimming blah blah blah.......Well, Natasha of Cleo, will appreciate if you let us have the contact no. to private beach. May want to bring furkids down one of these days.

I'm thinking more of highlands where it's cooling. Kookee loves cold weather coz bring her up to Genting recently. We were lucky coz it was freezing at that time. Thinking of renting the whole bungalow down by ourselves and let the furkids loose. Go to beach has to be on leash at all time. My furkids are not trained on recall.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

natasha_fernz

Feb 21, 2006, 10:11 PM

Post #14 of 28 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Hello...

The phone number of the guy is 012 237 0847 and his name is Balan. I've posted quite a lot of details regarding the apartment and what you should expect etc when you get there in the Port Dickson thread of the Dog Friendly Places Forum... Hope you manage to get there and have a good time with your dogs.
Natasha Fernz
Frown

chuckchung
Novice

Feb 22, 2006, 7:54 PM

Post #15 of 28 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [natasha_fernz] My Lab never bark strangers.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanx Nash.

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2006, 10:18 PM

Post #16 of 28 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chuck,

Duh?!? Those are sure not your Blackie, so when can we see him? Not sure about pool, Kookee just love getting wet. Probably just want to get rid of the shampoo smell.

Brought her and her sister out for their walk last nite around neighbourhood and encountered one of the neighbour's mongrel. The mongrel nearly bite off Kookee's nose when Kookee rushed over to 'greet' him. She has still yet to learn that not ALL dogs are friendly.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

chuckchung
Novice

Feb 23, 2006, 12:14 AM

Post #17 of 28 (2981 views)
Shortcut

here's black beauty. camera exposure is a li'l problematic since he's well, black.

heard of d saying "speak softly & carry a big stick"........i've this one for u "trod carefully & carry an even bigger stick".....seriously, u shld b carrying a stick wen u go 4 ur strolls w kookee. its 4 both ur protection.

i had a yelling cum kicking match trying to detach 2 mongrels from attacking my blackie (oh! his name is big mac, or mac for short) one time. really hairy experience, both me & mac's hair on back were standing.

Now i carry a big stick wen walking & just waving it keeps other dogs away.

is kookee so well trained that she? doesn't pull or jerk during walkies?

Attachments: Mac.jpg (13.9 KB)

chuckchung
Novice

Feb 23, 2006, 12:26 AM

Post #18 of 28 (2980 views)
Shortcut

woh, u have 2 kookees???

Attachments: mac1.jpg (12.0 KB)

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2006, 5:22 PM

Post #19 of 28 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Mac Boy is sooooo HANDSOME. Kookee will definitely fell in LOVE with him. BlushYou should consider him as your avatar instead of those Halloween doggies. Is that a white spot on his belly or was it the overexposure? He is a charmer, so adorabbbbbbbbbbbbbllllllllle!

No-no-no-no, I have Kookee (see avatar) and Reyyee (a mix). What sticks? I already have two. The Indon workers in particular shy away every time they saw me walking the two big, 'garang' looking and charging dogs. Against stray dogs, we have our method. Actually it's dangerous for you to yell and kick and do lots of action to chase away dogs. Stray dogs in particular can be very aggresive and they may feel threathened and mishaps may happened.

Just to let you know, Kookee is a big FLIRT. She has boyfriends everywhere around the neighbourhood namely a GR, a Rottie and couple of more big dogs. But she's not into small dogs, never see her approaching them before. She takes it that all dogs are friends without realising that the other dogs may not take it that way.

Yeah, Kookee is a puller. Reyyee on the other hand is a good girl, doesn't give us much of problem. Partly our fault that she's not trained up. She's ok with few simple commands, well, mainly to do with food. On top, would you mind sharing your email address so I can send the furkids pix link to you?

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

chuckchung
Novice

Feb 23, 2006, 6:24 PM

Post #20 of 28 (2960 views)
Shortcut

here's email chuck_chun

i think mac is really good looking too. i specially like his chunky square head. he is well behaved and a great watchdog and companion. i hope to have both our dogs meet at either homes. i've a semi-d but no grass (haha! really!getting it in now) so its too muddy for any visiting dogs. furthermore, mac isn't neutered as i harbor some ambition of sire-ing him when he's much older so i can hv a replica of him later (as i'll miss him wen his time is up). so along with the non-neutering, mac is horny so needs to be coaxed to behave. yeah, he's gotta white patch on his chest, which is d only thing v c in d dark.

pls share ur method of walking ur dogs w/out a stick & keeping strays away.

i guess u really hv 2 love labs if u think dat was a good photo of mac. dat wasn't really a happy shot of him, unlike ur kookee pix, like kookee is smiling & her coat color really comes out.

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2006, 7:37 PM

Post #21 of 28 (2959 views)
Shortcut

chuck_chun@ where ar?

Smiley Kookee shot was one of the hundreds of shots I have taken. You will see some really great pix in my album.

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

chuckchung
Novice

Feb 23, 2006, 7:48 PM

Post #22 of 28 (2957 views)
Shortcut

one of 'em furkids musta been hungry, email addrs got chomped mid-way. its

chuck_chun

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2006, 8:05 PM

Post #23 of 28 (2949 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chuck,

Kookee's head also chunky and squarish. She has a short snub, that's the main reason why she's soooo darn cute. Unlike Mac boy, Kookee gal is very very naughty. You can see she has that cheeky I-can-get-away-with-murder look. Forget about watchdog, she's simply worst than helpless at that. We are staying at terrace lot, in the middle so not much place to run about. So Mac is lucky there. Huh?! Duh! Mac not neutered?! Shocked We spayed Kookee almost immediately we have her. Do feel a bit regret now coz we realised that she's indeed a pretty lab. Frown She has quite outstanding features and she's a very smart dog. But for the sake of her health and in prevention of 'accident', we figure spaying is a safer choice.

Ummmmm...............I rather not share stray-away methods here coz it was actually quite silly and dubious, not to say about being dangerous as well.

Yeah, pix quality aside, I do think Mac is a great looking boy . I can see his features are equally as good as Kookee. He looked a bit awkward in Mac1.jpg, so adorable!!!!! By the way, what's his weight? Kookee is 34++kgs. Obese babe! Kookee's coat are ok but Reyyee's one is better.

Btw, still can't see your full email add. You have not fed Mac, is it? Is it , yahoo or misc?

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

chuckchung
Novice

Feb 23, 2006, 8:09 PM

Post #24 of 28 (2948 views)
Shortcut

dis is really weird, i know i typed d full addrs. mayb poopy.com disallows droping email addrs.

my addrs again is a combi of d words below:

chuck_

chung

@

yahoo

.com

mayb this time it'll work

Kookee
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2006, 10:34 PM

Post #25 of 28 (2939 views)
Shortcut

Gotcha! Sent a link to you. Enjoy and have a good laugh!

**Yogi Puiga-Yoga**

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my