Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Grooming school?! affordable?!

anywei
Novice

Feb 9, 2006, 7:30 PM

Post #1 of 24 (3719 views)
Shortcut
Grooming school?! affordable?! Can't Post

hi all!!! I'm new... love dogs! thinking of tryin my hands on groomin.. getting new skills. Any tips on grooming school?! around PJ..damansara.. thnk you!!

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 9, 2006, 9:14 PM

Post #2 of 24 (3699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anywei] Grooming school?! affordable?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there is one in Pudu... came out in the Star last month.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

anywei
Novice

Feb 9, 2006, 9:40 PM

Post #3 of 24 (3695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Grooming school?! affordable?! [In reply to] Can't Post

hey thanks.. love this forum.. people actually replies.. GREAT!! Thank you thank you...

my condolences on your lost.. it is hearbreaking... but sweet memories lives on..

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Feb 9, 2006, 9:52 PM

Post #4 of 24 (3690 views)
Shortcut

The Pudu establishment is one of two doggie shops next to each other, at the corner of a block which you can see from Jalan Pasar, in the Pudu Plaza area.

anywei
Novice

Feb 9, 2006, 10:17 PM

Post #5 of 24 (3684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Grooming school?! affordable?! [In reply to] Can't Post

i think i'll try to make my way there this weekend just to hav a look. Hope it is not too expensive.. sigh.. guess I'll have to start saving up..

you guys go for the Obedient classes at Old Klang Road?! Tmn Desa issit?

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Feb 9, 2006, 10:36 PM

Post #6 of 24 (3682 views)
Shortcut

It WILL be expensive, but in the long run you'll save money if you learn to groom your wow wow yourself.

anywei
Novice

Feb 9, 2006, 10:48 PM

Post #7 of 24 (3678 views)
Shortcut

Unsure yeah i know.. *sigh... the thing is..i dun own a dog now.. used to tho.. now staying alone working late hours... if i hav a dog..that poor pup will be so lonely and miserable.. the grooming course well..thinking of a change or career.. Wink

at least a skill to fall back on.. i love dogs..will tend to them with care.. dun wan so must stress in my life..

what breed do you own?! i used to have Great Danes... 3 to be exact..

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Feb 10, 2006, 1:55 AM

Post #8 of 24 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Oh, a change of career!! So you want to be a professional groomer. Probably not a bad career move, although I'm no career counsellor. Just look at the number of places providing grooming services in the Klang Valley, and the fees they charge, and still dog owners in droves bring their pooches.

I have a min schnauzer - picture on the left. She's nearly five months now and I've been handstripping her. Nearly done with that, and I'm about to get a clipper to do her tummy. I decided to DIY because it's going to be really difficult to get a professional handstripping job done by someone else, it's going to be expensive, and since I'll have laboured so much over the handstripping, I might as well learn to do the clipping and sculpting with scissors as well. The results? Well, thank god Arún isn't a show dog!

Pangur Bán

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 10, 2006, 2:28 AM

Post #9 of 24 (3663 views)
Shortcut

How do you do handstriping? I'm always curious to know.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 10, 2006, 2:29 AM

Post #10 of 24 (3662 views)
Shortcut

Yah, many will gladly reply if they know or want to help.

Well, Willy was my best dog. Old age took him... well, he lives on in my heart.

OH... if I remember correctly, the fees for a 5 month dog grooming course could go from RM6k to RM10k....

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 10, 2006, 3:24 AM

Post #11 of 24 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Ok, I found what I read thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2006/1/24/lifefocus/12997811&sec=lifefocus

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Feb 11, 2006, 12:33 AM

Post #12 of 24 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Haiyoh, how ar?
Actually I'm doing a 100% DIY with what information I've gleaned from websites and books.
At the moment, I'm just using my thumb and first finger to grasp a few hairs, and then, PULL!

Takes ages, and many, many bites.Unsure

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 11, 2006, 1:07 AM

Post #13 of 24 (3633 views)
Shortcut

Ohhh... so that is how it is done. Wow, I used to groom my shih tzu, takes time too coz I only use scissors ahahah.... MS many use clippers, to me it looks like the dog has been cut half way lol. Thanks for you info.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Feb 11, 2006, 6:39 AM

Post #14 of 24 (3626 views)
Shortcut

No, not cut halfway. Pull, pull, pull until damned tired already, so give up. That's why only half-done.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 12, 2006, 6:56 AM

Post #15 of 24 (3615 views)
Shortcut

Oh, What I meant was that these days many MS are clipped shortly, I've seen a petshop with MS pups and they were clipped till look like top part shaved and down part all long longSly

anywei
Novice

Feb 13, 2006, 7:37 PM

Post #16 of 24 (3598 views)
Shortcut

Crazy wow!!! all new set of lingo to learn.. been out of the DOG thingy for sometimes.. the last time i had a dog was 5 years back..

That "kid" on the pix.. well.. all grown and ..pass on d! Unsure it was a mix sharpei + bullterrier...cute as a pup...adult not so good lookin but still loved her...

u guys seems to hav your work cut out for you.. self grooming.. for me not to look for BIG $$$ but just wanna be able to help people groom their beloved pets with TLC.. Wink groming animals sounds interesting.. new skills.. maybe u guys can give some tips..

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Feb 13, 2006, 9:58 PM

Post #17 of 24 (3592 views)
Shortcut

Many of the schnauzers I see in petshops are clipped way before they're ready, and many also have had their ears cropped so that they'd be easier to sell.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 14, 2006, 8:59 AM

Post #18 of 24 (3580 views)
Shortcut

HEheh... grooming takes time. Of course short coat easier. Long coat, well, practice makes perfect. When I started clipping my own shih tzu last time, damn looks like alien... after a few times, it became better and neater.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Feb 14, 2006, 9:00 AM

Post #19 of 24 (3577 views)
Shortcut

Yah... I saw some MS pups at PS... aiyoh, their ears were cropped till like don't have any ears at all. To me, it was really weird.

JustineBiBi

Feb 27, 2006, 8:14 AM

Post #20 of 24 (3505 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yah, many will gladly reply if they know or want to help.

Well, Willy was my best dog. Old age took him... well, he lives on in my heart.

OH... if I remember correctly, the fees for a 5 month dog grooming course could go from RM6k to RM10k....

ya... the grooming course really really costly. i planned to take up the grooming course last year but the fee is expensive and the course also full time. it's quite hard for me to take up the course. furthermore, i'm from jb and jb don't have such grooming course as in kl. i'm looking fot the grooming course for quite sometime but untill nw still can't get 1. since i'm working, i don't think so i can take up the full time course. (i can't give up my job coz i got family commitment)

anywei
Novice

Feb 27, 2006, 10:43 PM

Post #21 of 24 (3495 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JustineBiBi] Grooming school?! affordable?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure yeah know how u feel.. commitments sucks but what to do.. But still looking for grooming schools.. no time also. Looks like i hav to put it on hold.. KIV!!! let this year settle first then.. look around..

If it is a full time course like u mentioned.. then .. will hav to work save $$$ then see how!! Frown sigh..

JustineBiBi

Feb 28, 2006, 6:52 AM

Post #22 of 24 (3488 views)
Shortcut

ya... we need to work hard to save $ for the course if really wanna to complete it asap so that we can go in faster to the grooming industry to enjoy the life with our furkids....

mikoyuki

Jun 14, 2006, 6:04 PM

Post #23 of 24 (3221 views)
Shortcut

I've decided to take up the course at The Pet Family, Tmn Megah coz they are offering promo now at RM9600 (inclusive of equipment). This promo only valid for registration before end of June. I was thinking maybe if I can get a few more ppl to join and register together, we can ask them for a better price and discount. I saw in another thread that there are a few who's interested to take up the course? So maybe we can meet up and go there together? Anyone interested?

equise
Novice

Jul 12, 2006, 10:26 AM

Post #24 of 24 (3079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sorekow] Grooming school?! affordable?! [In reply to] Can't Post

i know for sure house of groomers teaches ways to groom a dog without causing them distress as many grooming places does. I've seen dogs jumping enthusiastically into the groomers arms at house of groomers. Now how many groomers get that?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my