Help!!!

leecnken
Novice

Jan 18, 2006, 7:55 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2027 views)
Shortcut
Help!!! Can't Post

All Sifus,

I need to seek for your advise..... I have a Golden Retriever Pup which is now about 9 weeks old. Got him when he is 6 weeks old. Hmmm... just started housebreaking with him yesterday.... I know this is abit late...

According to the thread posted here... newspaper which act as base in their playpen or crate or enclosure will help. But for my puppy... he bites all the paper and mess it around. Let me tell you my findings:-

Current setup:- He used to have 6x6 feet space for him to walk around.... by starting the housebreaking... I have shrunk the size to 3x3. The space was utilised as below 2x3 for tray and the rest of the space was laid with toilet mat.

- The first day training started on the evening after reaching home @ 1800 hrs, I started giving him a timing of 20 minutes( as per advise by this forum ) to eat his dinner and water and will take it away no matter he finished the food or not. Besides that, without laying paper on the tray. At first, I thought he will try to pee and poo on the tray but found that he pee all over the places... and the MOST disgusting thing is that, he will rest/lying on the pee.... yiaks!!! The next day, bath him in the morning.

- Second day....Laid newspaper on the tray. I found that he don't like / prevent to walk/rest/sleep on the newspaper.... and I found that he only sleep and pee on the toilet mat... hmm...I shout at him by saying "NO" when he mess around with the newspaper.... let him out from his enclosure while telekom guys help me to fix my streamyx..... arr.... when come back to my kitchen.... poo is all over it..... btw... can they eat the newspaper.... How to correct them not to sleep on their pee.... arrr.....

- Third day.... This morning... woke up and saw all the newspaper was tear and mess up in the tray... but no sign of poo.... arrr... how arr... please advise... Not sure now if he is okay with the paper or not...

Sifus, need advise... please.... I am really headache with this puppy... He tends to ignore me now... used to come to me when I clap my hand or I call his name.... please advise on this as well.....

Regards,

Ken

mbless
K9 Kaki

Jan 18, 2006, 8:37 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecnken] Help!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

When u see yr dog pee or poop dont shout/frighten him... just said a firm no to catch his attention. Coz when u frighten him he will learn to sneak somewhere else to relieve himself. That will only teach him fear. Call his name to follow you to where u want him to do his business. Do it calmly. He will pick the cue. U must b consistent... and when he do the right place give him a treat n praise him excessively.

He is not ignoring you....probably upset or scared coz he makes you angry all the time. House breaking needs time and patience on your part. The calmer you are the easiest your dog learn. Said a firm 'no' rather than a shouting 'no'.

If yr pup pee on the mat then lay the mat over the newspaper.... one of my foster dog likes that. Keep the rest of the place free for him to sleep n play. 3x3 space with a 2x3 for tray that leaves yr pup only 1x3 to sleep/ move/ and play. Thats why yr pup sleep on her pee. GR r intelligent dog n can easily b trained... but still needs time lah.

Built a good relationship with yr pup. Dont instill fear of you in him. All the best.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 19, 2006, 7:20 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ken, be patient with your puppy. He left the litterbox very early; hence, probably could not learn all the necessary things from his mum. BTW, it is a male or female? To ensure that your puppy will come when you call him needs a little adjustment at your end. Never scold him when he is coming to you, no matter how upset you are. He can’t relate his previous action to your scolding, so it does not make any sense to him. Housebreaking needs your undivided attention to be successful. I took a couple of days leave to achieve that. I played with the puppy and took him to the toilet area after each meal (30 minutes later) or when I saw that he wanted to make his business. At this location, I did not play, just stood there and made sure he was staying there as well. When he started sniffing to do his business, I gave the command word for pee & poop. Once he finished, I praised him very excited and he got a treat. Within 3 days he got the idea and started to run to the toilet area on his own.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Jan 19, 2006, 9:36 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1993 views)
Shortcut

I think it also helps to designate a toilet area as far away from his sleeping quarters as possible. It sounds like you're trying to get your puppy to wee wee and woo woo in the crate, right next to his bed. He now does it everywhere BUT in the crate because that's where he sleeps, and he prefers to keep his bedroom clean.

When I was housebreaking my puppy, I kept her confined to the balcony when I was out and when I couldn't supervise her, and that was also where she spent the night. Her den was at one end of the balcony and the toilet was at the other end. I used the paper method, reducing the papered over area bit by bit until it covered only the corner I wanted her to use as her toilet, and most of the time, that was where she'd relieve herself. I had the same problem with pooch tearing the newspaper into shreds (just be patient and clean it up - you shouldn't have to do this forever). But the moment I let her have free run of the house, she'd wee wee and woo woo anywhere but the on balcony.

Change of strategy

Next I moved her den to my bedroom, and left her on the balcony only when I had to be at work, and at other times, kept her in as much as possible, and encouraged her at the appropriate times (i.e. upon getting up in the morning, after meals, before going to bed) to use the balcony as her toilet, praising her lavishly every time she did it correctly. She's quite reliable now and I don't even need to lay any paper at the relevant corner any more. I think the trick is to keep the toilet and sleeping area quite distinct. This way, you give pooch an unambiguous signal.

Pangur Bán

leecnken
Novice

Jan 19, 2006, 10:22 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Help!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Joe,

How many days off you take to guide him.... are you with your puppy most of the time during your leave? I think I also need to do so larr... but I still don't know how... mind to show me how you train your puppy in real.... I just need to know how you praise.... whenever I praise him... I sure kena bite... aiii.... how leh... besides that... am I suppose to bring along with his treat or kibbles whenever I wanted to train him? Btw... where are you staying... we might come out and have some tea session..... aiii.... headche... If you don't mind... can I have your mobile no.... so that I can ask you directly.... thanks...

Regards,

Ken

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 19, 2006, 11:52 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1985 views)
Shortcut

I am in JB. Praising is easy. Just think that you did strike the lottery and say in this voice/mood GOOD BOY/GIRL, scratch behind his/her ears and that's it.

I just had taken one week leave to get in use to the new family member, but this was nearly 5 years ago. Wink

Treats I did carry all the time in a small plastic bag. I used boiled chicken sausages and cut them into small pieces.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my