Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
My pup has dematitis/ hot spots(i think so) How to cure it???

Orlix
Novice

Jan 7, 2006, 8:12 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1819 views)
Shortcut
My pup has dematitis/ hot spots(i think so) How to cure it??? Can't Post

At first my neighbour, a dog owner too, told me that was hot spots, before, my pup's coat was LOOONG!!! So I thought it was too hot for it, and took my pup for grooming to chop off his hair. At first I didn't like the results, Chucky(pup) looked skinny and... not so-like Chucky. So after grooming, I stop seeing those hot spots. Now, after about one month, I notice something terrible, a red spot, sometimes with yellowish stuff on top. It smelled awful. You know, the one like, after you bleed you have a dark red scars, and after it would renew a new skin and will look as good as new, but the thing is, Chucky's spots are way more terrible than that. Chucky has a lot of those on its neck(side), about 10. Some are big, swollen, red spotted, covered by another darker and rougher red skin, sometimes, there are yellowish stuff on it. I've seen vet the pass 2 days. I've bathe Chucky with the shampoo that doctor gave me, and give medicine for it. But I still haven't seen any improvement, yet, I've notice another spot. And more. Is it because the vet I visit wasn't good, or is it because it takes more time to cure??? Or could it be food allergie? Will those spots risk my puppy's life? My puppy also has a habit of eating its own poo, but now, it seldom does, because I take my dog for walk and Chucky will do its business outside, but sometimes, like when its raining, I don't take my pup for walk, so eventually it ended up eating it while I was not watching.Frown

kelwts
Dog Kichi

Feb 7, 2006, 10:40 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Orlix] My pup has dematitis/ hot spots(i think so) How to cure it??? [In reply to] Can't Post

CrazyHot Spots can really be difficult and problematic . Firstly , what food are you feeding yr furball with ..... try to lay off high protein foods for the moment ..... High protein foods ( puppy food ) can sometimes cause hot spots . Also , you did mention that Chucky's fur was long . Try to keep Chucky's fur dry always . If you have to bathe him ... make sure you blow dry . Wet fur can also cause bacteria build up and mites just love wet furs .

Hot spots must be treated fast as it spreads really fast . I do hope that its not mange.

Try using Malaseb shampoo . It does wonders. Let me know how it goes .

Call me 019-2208419 if you need any further help.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 17, 2006, 3:20 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelwts] My pup has dematitis/ hot spots(i think so) How to cure it??? [In reply to] Can't Post

if ur vet is good, the medication he prescribe will be able to heal the hot spot within a week!!

1st of all u must determine whether the hot spot is due to food allergy or coat maintanance.....but its hard to tell actually....

try to increase grooming routine.....maybe twice a day n try to prevent it from getting damp or moist (from licking n chewing) by applying powder. since ur dog had already been seriously infected, is advisable to get his coat clip short to promote air circulation n to ease u in applying the medication. sometimes if u didn't get rid all the shampoo off after a bath, it could cause hot spot too

if u think the problem is due to food.....then u might as well thought of stopping ur dog from consuming the commercial food.....coz usually the allergy is due to food preservative n only to a very very less extend the particular brand of the kibbles....

so, the best is try out home cooked meal n see the result....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my