First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 3, 2006, 6:30 PM

Post #1 of 48 (3655 views)
Shortcut
TICKS ATTACK! SOMEONE HELP ME! Can't Post

Hi All,

I brought my ACS, Happie back last month, we caught a few ticks on him. then we send him back to my hometown for a week. according to my parents, he stopped scratching and last weekened, my parents brought Happie back here to visit us. he started scratching again and we found like 20 ticks (both on his skin and also crawling on his fur) in 2 days time. happie is on SpotOn.

Yesterday, i found out where the ticks came from. I used to rent my backroom to a student with his hushpuppy. they moved out 2 months ago. i found the whole ticks gang in and outside the room they used to stay (now empty and initially wanted to put Happie in the room). most of the ticks were outside the wall of the room... i got so angry. i pour boiling water on the walls.. and brought bayticol and spray the whole house.

Happie was supposed to stay with me this week so that i can bring him to the K9 event this Sunday but bcoz of this, HAppie has to go back to Tpg.

Below are some queries I desperately need to know:

1. Will bayticol spray keep the ticks away frm my house? If not, what else can I do?

2. Does tick make their nest in our homes? if yes, how do I identify and how to eliminate them?

3. How long can a tick stay alive without dog's blood?

4. How do you tell if Spoton is suitable for ur furkid? is SpotOn supposed to keep ticks away from them completely?

Info are much much appreciated Wink Thanks A bunCH!
Frown Dogs... God's greatest gift Frown

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 3, 2006, 9:50 PM

Post #2 of 48 (3649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [catchuah] TICKS ATTACK! SOMEONE HELP ME! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh gosh, that is one of the worst nightmares.
  1. I do not know if this will help but professional pest service might know more about it and could “clean” your house & garden.
  2. They do not make a nest, just laying eggs after a good meal of blood.
  3. over a year without problems (that is the nightmare part)
  4. it works when applied directly to the skin (part the fur in the neck area to do that) and when using the correct amount. It will not prevent ticks from jumping onto your dog but they will not suck blood or will be dead trying to do so.
The way of fighting means to apply the spot-on and to check your dog every day. Removing all ticks and making sure that they are dead (one old jam jar filled with Clorox is a good method).

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 3, 2006, 10:31 PM

Post #3 of 48 (3648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] TICKS ATTACK! SOMEONE HELP ME! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Joe,

THanks for sharing.

1. Vet asked me to spray bayticol on the areas where i found the ticks hangout and possibly, spray every corner of the house and keep my pup away from my house till i kick out all the ticks away. is it that serious to get professional pest service?

2. I heard friends who own dogs too said that they found ticks nest in their house, in some holes...

3. Is there any way to stop ticks from even getting near to my pup?

4. If the ticks bite my pup but do not suck his blood, does it still cause itchiness? hurts me to see him scratching all over.

5. Does anything else cause my pup to scratch other than tick bites?

6. YEs, i do check my pup everyday and as often as possible for ticks. but, why do we need to throw those monsters into jars with clorox solution?

sorry... i am a bit blur...

Thanks again

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 3, 2006, 11:18 PM

Post #4 of 48 (3643 views)
Shortcut

You are very welcome.
  1. since they can survive for a very long time, it might be a practical option to use professional service, especially when you have serious infestation in or around the house otherwise the bayticol is just fine.
  2. it might seem like a nest but they prefer holes and other safe places to lay their eggs; hence, you might find a number of them at the same location. They go down to soil to re-hydrate and then they will crawl up again and wait with their legs stretched out – waiting for a host to pass-by.
  3. Nope, not that I know off. There are some remedies, which makes it less likely and spot-on is one of them.
  4. No, it should not cause itchiness.
  5. YES, it could be fleas, food allergy or shampoo residue – just to name a few options.
  6. Well, I do not like to smash them (e.g. eggs might not be smashed) and those little monsters can survive the flushing down the toilet but Clorox kills them (my little revenge since it dissolves them slowly).

Good Luck – you need it.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jan 4, 2006, 5:30 AM

Post #5 of 48 (3631 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Just like to add to what Joe have written, and that is give your dog/pup some raw garlic, crush, about a flat tea spoon, three or four times a week also help keep the ticks away from him.

I suppose the best way as mentioned is get those pest control people in and fumigate the house.

All the best.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 4, 2006, 5:25 PM

Post #6 of 48 (3622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] TICKS ATTACK! SOMEONE HELP ME! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi PSY...

Thanks for the tips. i used to feed my previous terrier garlic too but it caused badbreath.

is it very costly to get pest control ppl to fumigate the house? i found a tick crawling up my back (on my skin) yday evening. and my puppy is not in my house anymore and i have sprayed almost every corner of my house with bayticol solution.

HELP!Pirate

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jan 4, 2006, 6:53 PM

Post #7 of 48 (3617 views)
Shortcut

Hi again,

From what you have posted I can safely say you do not eat garlic, raw or otherwise. Detecting your dog has garlicky smell and a tick actually climb on to you sort of give me this impession. A dog trainer friend of mine told me this, his wife is a groomer and work with dogs everyday but ticks actually stick to her and not him, simply because he eats garlic, you know hokkien mee etc plus it is also a protection from mosquito bites. Anyway, you have to decide on this.

Fumigation, I do not think it cost a lot compared to the benefit I get, my place is a bungalow and it cost me RM230.00 a year. They come very two months to do their thing and I have not seen a tick for the pass ten years. I use to get them and now dogs a few houses away (according to my maid, is infested with ticks) have ticks but mine is still clear and I have come to know about this five to six months ago. My only problem is the occassional rat running around.

Well, do hope I have manage to sort of convince you to feed your dog garlic as it is much easier and more economical.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 4, 2006, 7:09 PM

Post #8 of 48 (3613 views)
Shortcut

I don't like garlic so do my dogs. I did not use any ticks or fleas spray on my dogs also.

But Me & my dogs did not get any ticks. Why ar?

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 4, 2006, 9:56 PM

Post #9 of 48 (3598 views)
Shortcut

Hey there,

Again, thanks a bunch for your info.

So, the fumigation actually keeps the ticks away?

what i meant in my earlier post was i used to feed my previous terrier with garlics whenever we find ticks attacks him. and it caused badbreath. do u mean that the garlic shd have kept the ticks away completely? if so, i really dont know why it didnt work on my terrier. or do u mean that we shd continue to feed them garlic regardless of whether we can find ticks on them or not?

if rm230 peryear will keep these monsters awayMad, i really dont mind. coz it gives me chill knowing that the ticks are actually crawling on my skin and God knows where else. ha ha! Wink

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 4, 2006, 10:05 PM

Post #10 of 48 (3597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] TICKS ATTACK! SOMEONE HELP ME! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool I could imagine that you do not like the garlic but show me a dog who does not like something smelly. Tongue Garlic has many benefits and I use it regularly to “flavor” some of my dog’s meals.

I use the spot-on when I find a tick on my dog; otherwise, we avoid this sort of medication.That ticks never attacked your dog makes him the lucky winner, but do not take it for granted. It is just that no stray or rat with ticks was around your furkid or he did not venture into areas where ticks hanging out.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 4, 2006, 10:08 PM

Post #11 of 48 (3596 views)
Shortcut

hi Chris...

u so lucky! no need garlic or bayticol.. yet no ticks! gosh. i wish i am half as lucky as u r.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 4, 2006, 10:17 PM

Post #12 of 48 (3596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] TICKS ATTACK! SOMEONE HELP ME! [In reply to] Can't Post

Its been few year I did not use Frontline spray on my dogs. I hasn't found even 1 ticks on my dogs. I brings them for walk around the park every evening. I participated them for MKA dog show. I bring them to all the activities that puppy.com organized. What else ar??? Hmmmmm...............Ar Outside my house I did saw some big rat, stray cats & a gang of stray dogs that like to find food at our rubbish bin and mess up the whole road with rubbish.

So, now you know. If you don't believe you can come to my house personally and check for your self. How come my dogs don't have even 1 small tick?

Why I did not want to use frontline spray is because it make my silkies hair dry.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 4, 2006, 10:37 PM

Post #13 of 48 (3593 views)
Shortcut

Wow, as I said, you and your dog are really lucky. Keep your fingers crossed that they will stay this way and never get attacked by ticks. I doubt that the spray would work or that it would be easy to apply. I would use, if needed, the spot-on only. It is safer, easier to apply and does not create any mess on the fur. My dog was tick-free for over 2 years without any medication and then we got hit when visiting a friend’s place. I struggled for 2 months to get the dog and the house tick-free again.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jan 5, 2006, 3:38 AM

Post #14 of 48 (3583 views)
Shortcut

Hi, over the years since I have started on this garlic regime I do not find any ticks on my dogs and I do feed them garlic three times a day. Now my dogs unlike some other dog owners do not let out in the garden, they do everything a dog should do, play in the sun, chase cats, bark at other dogs, etc. They go on "working" walks, that is training for obedience trial. A gew of my friends and vet says it works too so that is it. As you have mentioned you only feed your dog when there are ticks which actually you should do it regularly. Try it and see for yourself.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 5, 2006, 4:53 PM

Post #15 of 48 (3565 views)
Shortcut

Hi PSY...

Thanks for your valuable info.

I just hope *fingers crossed* that i wont find anymore ticks crawling in my house or ON ME. Happie is back at my parents place till we solve the problem. Will bring him back when it is safe.

Garlic... Spot on... anti-tick collar ..will try everything.

Thanks again! Wink

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jan 5, 2006, 5:57 PM

Post #16 of 48 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Good luck and do keep us all posted on the progress as I am certain it would help others.

Cheerio for now.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 5, 2006, 10:55 PM

Post #17 of 48 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Heys,Smile

Can try taktic as well. Very strong..I would recommend it for cleaning the hse (maintenance). It can also be used on dogs but be very careful with the dosage. It's used very often by groomers,vets, & breeders.They use it on pups as well but personally I am uncomfortable with that.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 5, 2006, 11:20 PM

Post #18 of 48 (3536 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] TICKS ATTACK! SOMEONE HELP ME! [In reply to] Can't Post

hey Wink realitydreamer!

Taktic ah... sounds like powder? is it more or less powerful as bayticol? i really geram with even the ticks! even just the thought of them make me mad. caused me to be apart with HAppie. I call home to let him hear my voice everyday. Unsure

is Taktic poisonous?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 6, 2006, 6:39 AM

Post #19 of 48 (3522 views)
Shortcut

Hey there cat, Smile

It's liquid form. Most vets have it. Small bottle..turns white when mixed with water. I bought the industrial sized one. 5 litres (that's y i can use to wash the dogs sleeping area)

I am not sure if it's stronger than bayticol but it's very effective. I have bayticol too but I haven't tried it yet. Do let me noe how well it works.Suppose to be pretty good as well.

All pesticides are poisonous dear. Pirate Just a degree how poisonous it is only. It's like mosquito fogging.It's definitely poisonous & humans are not advised to inhale the fog. If we do inhale it,it doesn't kill us but too much, who noes what will happen?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 6, 2006, 5:41 PM

Post #20 of 48 (3518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] TICKS ATTACK! SOMEONE HELP ME! [In reply to] Can't Post

hey Chloe...

THis shd be the 4th day after i spray bayticol all over my house... and so far, no sight of the monsters anywhere and specially not ON ME. But cant tell if the monsters are hiding somewhere I am not aware of unless Happie is around to lure them out. So, i think as for now, bayticol is pretty effective.

going to K9 day this Sunday? i will.. but without HAppie... Unsure eer.. can i register without my furkid around?

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jan 6, 2006, 8:12 PM

Post #21 of 48 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Hi again,

Glad to see realitydreamer caught your posting, I too use the stuff on my dogs especially when I take them out for Obedience Trail and gatherings like the one on Sunday. Do hope to catch you this week end.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 6, 2006, 9:52 PM

Post #22 of 48 (3502 views)
Shortcut

hi there...

u all sifu's here... i definitely wont miss it to meet up with u all this Sunday. thanks for the ticks battle tips.!

how will i identify u ah?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 7, 2006, 5:41 AM

Post #23 of 48 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Hello catchuah, Smile

Truthfully..they are most likely still there however will not be too much of a nuisance. They are tough lil bugs.

Yeap, I will be going Cool

Mmm..am not very sure abt this Crazy sorry...can't help u there.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jan 7, 2006, 6:04 AM

Post #24 of 48 (3489 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I shall be bringing my dob, brown and wearing a rather cumbersome weird collar. or call me 0192311032. Till Sunday, weather permitting.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Jan 9, 2006, 5:45 PM

Post #25 of 48 (3479 views)
Shortcut

hello...

enjoyed the day at Central Park yday? i did but looking at everyone with their furkid around makes me miss Happie even more.

was standing near the fire ring. i didnt see anyone with dob... Unsure

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my