Home: Breed Specific: Utility Group:
Is he normal

eugene
Novice

Jan 2, 2006, 12:59 AM

Post #1 of 24 (2844 views)
Shortcut
Is he normal Can't Post

My Shih Tzu is 8.5 months now,he is about 5.6kg...can anyone let me know whether he is on normal weight? Coz my friend said he is underweight :(

i feed him Eukanuba Lamb n Rice...can this cause him underweight??

Can any puppy owner who feed Thier doggy with eukanuba sharing any ideal or experience with me?

thanks

is Eukanuba good enough?

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jan 2, 2006, 7:52 AM

Post #2 of 24 (2832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eugene] Is he normal [In reply to] Can't Post

my snowy is 1 year plus and she is 6 kg

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jan 3, 2006, 7:29 AM

Post #3 of 24 (2820 views)
Shortcut

A fully grown shih tzu has a healthy weight of 5 to 8kg, depending on their structure. Do this tip, when you bath your pup, can you see its ribs? If you can really see it and you can see the hip bones clearly, it is underweight. If you see just a bit of ribs, no hip bones can be seen then it is perfectly healthy.

When a shih tzu is wet, it is easier to see this lah.

I had a shih tzu once, he was also 6 kg and passed away when he was 12 years old.

Some friends like to see fat and chubby dogs, so they will always say your dog is skinny if it is in perfect weight. My pup now is 7 months old, she is at the long legs and skinny look but she is in perfect weight and eats Nutro lamb and rice. I have tried euknuba before, it is perfectly ok to feed your pup that.

Do not worry, as long when bath and cannot see the ribs much, then it is healthy.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2006, 11:30 PM

Post #4 of 24 (2810 views)
Shortcut

wow at 8.5months is 5.6kg? mm.....i think that is quite a big shih tzu. my shih tzu is almost 3years old now only weight 3.5kg. she's abit small but is healthy. when i bring her to see vet, they say that she's a healthy shih tzu. she doesn't like to eat much especially her normal meal. but when it comes to treat...i can say she's have more appetite.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 4, 2006, 7:20 PM

Post #5 of 24 (2796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fuikiaw] Is he normal [In reply to] Can't Post

3.5KG consider not the standard size for Shih Tzu.

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jan 4, 2006, 8:44 PM

Post #6 of 24 (2789 views)
Shortcut

This Sunday got K9 day in Bandar Utama Central Park. I am going there. If you are free bring wushu and come to join us.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2006, 9:35 PM

Post #7 of 24 (2781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Is he normal [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Chris,

Ya i know my mushu is not the standard size. Hehehe.....

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2006, 9:36 PM

Post #8 of 24 (2778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Is he normal [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Connie,

ya i'm going also this sunday. So how many dogs r u bringing this time? Hope to see you there......

Hoganfm

Jan 5, 2006, 5:05 AM

Post #9 of 24 (2766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Is he normal [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Hun,

Happy 2006 to u n all ur pet. Will u be going to the K9 Day this Sunday. Which of ur furkid will be tagging along? Trying to get my parents n my 2nd sis along w her 1 yr old daughter to join in the fun (since my niece grew up w Hogan --- my mom baby-sit her since birthSmile). I'll be at the SPCA n PAWS booth after the police K9 dogs demo n maybe drop by the 'Meet the Breed' booth for a while.

Hope to c u this Sunday.

Warmest Regards, Hogan's godma cum nannyFrown

Hoganfm

Jan 5, 2006, 5:20 AM

Post #10 of 24 (2762 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eugene,

Happy New Year to u n ur lovely furkid. Will u be at the K9 Day this Sunday? Maybe v will be able to c whether ur furkid is underweight or not. At 8.5 mths, think the 5.6kg weight is ok, as long as he is healthy n eating; moreover, he is still growing.

My godson, Hogan (a shih tzu) is 7-7.4kg. He is 4yrs+, n the vet prefer his weight around 6.5-7kg n not more. Yup, noted that he has put on 'a bit' of weightBlushCool. He usually maintain his weight at 7kg for the past 2 yrs.Smile

Hope to meet u this Sunday. I'll be around the SPCA n PAWS booth after the police K9 dogs demo.

Warmest Regards, Hogan's godma cum nannyFrown

clare
Dog Kichi

Jan 5, 2006, 5:24 AM

Post #11 of 24 (2762 views)
Shortcut

Hihi, I am feeding the same brand and food for my Cookie. Cookie is going to be 1 yr on next week and she is weighted at abt 4.3kg.

Well, whether is overweight or not is depends on u. Shih Tzu damn fast to gain weight n if u dont control on their diet, they can be giant size.

Cookie is a miniature Shih Tzu. U may need to check out urs also then only can justify whether is underweight. But I think tt weight is ok.

clare
Dog Kichi

Jan 5, 2006, 5:41 AM

Post #12 of 24 (2760 views)
Shortcut

Ur Shih Tzu is onl at 3.5kg? How to keep her in tt size? My Cookie is growing side way.. the vet said it is ok to keep her till 4kg but she is overweight a bit liao.. abt 4.3kg now..

Cookie likes to eat.. even though the insects on the floor.. cant control on this

clare
Dog Kichi

Jan 5, 2006, 5:43 AM

Post #13 of 24 (2760 views)
Shortcut

I think Cookie will be going to the gathering but we need to leave earlier. Are there many Shih Tzus will be meeting up there?

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jan 5, 2006, 7:32 AM

Post #14 of 24 (2754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoganfm] Is he normal [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Hi Hi

Happy new year to you too!!!

Yups, I will be going to K9 day, bringing my latest member, Chelsea. Ok, will look for you then! If can't find me, do give me a call, 019-2257571 lah, then easier to meet up

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jan 5, 2006, 6:44 PM

Post #15 of 24 (2747 views)
Shortcut

Might bring all the dogs there depend on the weather condition. What time you are going?

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2006, 9:33 PM

Post #16 of 24 (2740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [clare] Is he normal [In reply to] Can't Post

Well i didn't do much diet to my shih tzu. she's born small. i keep on giving her food to eat but seems like she didn't gain much weight over the past few years.

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2006, 9:34 PM

Post #17 of 24 (2737 views)
Shortcut

Not sure how many shih tzu's will be there. But for sure i'll be there. will move from here to there just to catch the crowd.

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2006, 9:36 PM

Post #18 of 24 (2734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Is he normal [In reply to] Can't Post

Yaloh if raining me not going loh. u know lah now everyday also rains. shd be there about 8.30 to 9am. wuah u need to bring all.....make sure u wake up earlier just to prepare all of them. hehee....can play with ur doggies also. long time didn't see them liao. give u a call when i reach there so i can find u.

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jan 5, 2006, 10:28 PM

Post #19 of 24 (2721 views)
Shortcut

Ok. Meet there.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ;];]c_)

clare
Dog Kichi

Jan 8, 2006, 10:57 PM

Post #20 of 24 (2681 views)
Shortcut

Hihi! We were there. So many shih tzus there.

We didnt manage to stay late as we have other mission. Somemore, Cookie feel scare when she met up with other Shih Tzus.

Really hope that we can organise a Shih Tzus gathering. Will be full with fun... :) .

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2006, 8:23 PM

Post #21 of 24 (2655 views)
Shortcut

I went there too. stay up until 12 noon. then my shih tzu is too tired so we went back .saw alot of shih tzus there also. but dun know who is the owner. hahaha

clare
Dog Kichi

Jan 16, 2006, 9:56 PM

Post #22 of 24 (2639 views)
Shortcut

Hihi!

When r u going to organise the next Shih Tzu's gathering?

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2006, 2:56 AM

Post #23 of 24 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Ehh...not so sure yet. Maybe in Feb or Mac loh.

clare
Dog Kichi

Jan 23, 2006, 3:52 AM

Post #24 of 24 (2614 views)
Shortcut

Hello.

Great then.. Cant wait till next gathering...Hope to see many shih tzus under a roof....

In Reply To

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my