How to train a husky?

babyeskimo
Novice

Dec 30, 2005, 11:46 PM

Post #1 of 14 (515 views)
Shortcut
How to train a husky? Can't Post

Hi,
I am Hui, had many dogs previously with my family but I have my own dog in my own place now! Yay!

Would like to introduce Kiko, my Husky. She is almost 4 months now and her coat is changing colour rapidly. I am really proud of her, all I want to do is return to her right after work! No more gym..
She has really nice blue eyes and she gives you "the look" and always wants to play.

Pity she is very rough and stubborn -I have suffered some light bites whenever we play! Anyone have ideas how to train a husky? She is really stubborn and will "talk" and grumble back whenever I disapprove of something she does.

This is when we first brought her back... After 2 weeks and back from the vet after she recovered from parvo! She is a fighter! (Hence the shaven legs)

(This post was edited by babyeskimo on Dec 30, 2005, 11:56 PM)

christeh
Dog Kichi

Dec 31, 2005, 10:34 PM

Post #2 of 14 (494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [babyeskimo] How to train a husky? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why don't u stop giving her attention for awhile? Although it sounds harsh, some dogs just have 2 learn the hard way. If she bites u, den pull ur hand away quickly n make an "ouch" sound. Eventually, she will come 2 realise dat biting is unacceptable behavior, n will put an end to her bad habit. Good luck!

babyeskimo
Novice

Jan 4, 2006, 2:44 AM

Post #3 of 14 (476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [christeh] How to train a husky? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks christeh,

I will try hard to resist her cute ways and not give in. Do you have any idea which pet shop has a good range of Kong toys?

I only managed to get a Kong bone for her when I was at Pet Safari at Ikano. Was hoping to see a larger range of products but they were even sold out in the Large original Kong. I am finding for the bouncy ones...

Thanks!

May
Old Hand

Jan 4, 2006, 2:47 AM

Post #4 of 14 (476 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hui,

If you read the Husky's breed standard carefully you will notice that Husky is highly intelligent but stuborn. Huskies do not do well in obdience as they are stuborn and like to pull alot.

I have two huskies myself and I never train them but they are highly intelligent and knows wat I want from them. That's is also a reason why I never train my huskies. I just let them have the freedom they want but they will also need to learn the house rules. Other than that I never train them in obedience.

One of the husky love to "talk" and howl alot especially when she wants attention but she hardly bark. The other one will bark when she wants attention and ocassionally "talk". I have no problem with that.

I would love to show you my huskies photos but I don't know how to put it here.

babyeskimo
Novice

Jan 4, 2006, 2:54 AM

Post #5 of 14 (473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] How to train a husky? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi May,

Thanks. I do understand Huskies that. I am not looking for her to do tricks and show, only to pee and piddle in the right place! Cos all I do now is clean poo all time...

And I would like her to stop her habit of biting people..

But she has all the freedom in the world in my apartment. As I know, you can only add photos by clicking the 2nd icon from left in the HTML editor. It allows you to insert a link to pic(if it is posted on the web) but not the pic itself. I would love to see your dogs!

Kiko seems to have larger ears for Husky, how do you see if a Husky is of good/pure breed?

May
Old Hand

Jan 4, 2006, 3:07 AM

Post #6 of 14 (472 views)
Shortcut

All my dogs photos are not posted on the web. Too bad, kenot show you.

Well, I guess I'm lucky as my husky knows exactly where I want her to pee and poo the first day I brought her home. I din even get her much toys as she doesn't bite alot but I did let her run free with my other dogs everyday. Maybe that's keep her occupy most of the time.

A good husky is the one that meets its breed standard. So you have to refer to it.

Ops!!! Please dun let your husky walk/run on smooth surface alot as it will affect her gaiting and may cause hip dylapsia.

Cheers!!!

(This post was edited by May on Jan 4, 2006, 3:10 AM)

mypetdog
Novice

Jan 4, 2006, 5:23 PM

Post #7 of 14 (460 views)
Shortcut

hi may,

i wish to correct you. "Huskies do not do well in obdience as they are stuborn and like to pull alot"

i'm training my 5 months old husky obedience. he's doing well for a pup. a fast learner too. since they are smart. you need to be smarter than them in training. In US and other part of the world, there are a number of huskies in obedience trial, of course if you observe carefully.

May
Old Hand

Jan 4, 2006, 11:18 PM

Post #8 of 14 (451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mypetdog] How to train a husky? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are always exception. Glad to know that your husky is doing well in obedient. I know there are huskies in obdience trial in US and other overseas country but not in Malaysia if I'm correct.

Neway, I'm not really into OB. As long as my dogs know wat I want from them and do not create problems that should be good enuff for me. I just want them to live happily as a dogs.

Cheers!!

mypetdog
Novice

Jan 6, 2006, 11:25 PM

Post #9 of 14 (439 views)
Shortcut

i don't consider mine as an exception. unactive JRT is an exception. :)

then you shouldn't be passing remark stating that huskies cannot be trained. stuborn is not an excuse to skip basic trainings. :)

May
Old Hand

Jan 9, 2006, 7:33 PM

Post #10 of 14 (422 views)
Shortcut

This is not based on my own judgement. A few friends of mine which own huskies and famous dog trainers do share the same view. Did I mentioned husky kenot be trained at the first place? I couldn't remember that, probably I'm old. I only remember saying that "Huskies do not do well in obedience". Do not do well doesn't means kenot be trained.

All dogs can be trained but some will do better in obedience i.e. Border Collie, Shetland sheepdog, GR, Lab etc and some will do better in protection i.e. GSD, Rottie etc. Husky do not do well in obedience as well as protection but they are definately good in mushing and sledding.

I'm not here to start an argument. Just to share my view with others. You can always opt not to bother.

Cheers!!

(This post was edited by May on Jan 9, 2006, 7:48 PM)

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 9, 2006, 11:36 PM

Post #11 of 14 (404 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi May,

Thanks. I do understand Huskies that. I am not looking for her to do tricks and show, only to pee and piddle in the right place! Cos all I do now is clean poo all time...

And I would like her to stop her habit of biting people..

Congratulations to your cute husky. It seems that you quite new to the training regime and it would be a good idea when you would join a club training session. I recommend the CGC program, which should suffice. To train your husky to pee & poop at the place of your choice, you have to teach him that. For a dog any place except sleeping and feeding area seems OK. Shortly after meals you should take him to this place and wait for a while. Do not play since you want him to do his business there. Praise him when he does and he will get the idea in no time. If he starts doing it at the wrong locations then show that you are not happy about it (grumpy NO) and carry him to the right spot. He might be so shocked about it that he might not be able to finish his business there. You have to be patience and more stubborn then your puppy (that is the trick). Same rule applies to biting. It is normal dogs play and you have to teach that this is not acceptable. When he does, show that you are not happy about it (grumpy NO) and praise him when he is chewing on the offered chewing toy. If the NO does not work then grab him on his scuff and shake him a little (like a shiver), that what his mum would do when he does not behave. If this does not work then do what the alpha dog would do. Push him on his side, hold down his throat with one hand and his chest with the other hand. Do not talk or comfort him. Hold him this way until he surrenders (tail between legs and quiet). Then release him and walk away.

Butterfly_B52

Jan 10, 2006, 7:49 AM

Post #12 of 14 (370 views)
Shortcut

Sly Cheers May,

Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic. ~ Jean Sibelius

Crazy finally i have come.........B52

mypetdog
Novice

Jan 11, 2006, 7:01 PM

Post #13 of 14 (338 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
This is not based on my own judgement. A few friends of mine which own huskies and famous dog trainers do share the same view. Did I mentioned husky kenot be trained at the first place? I couldn't remember that, probably I'm old. I only remember saying that "Huskies do not do well in obedience". Do not do well doesn't means kenot be trained.

no dog trainers will tell you a specific breed is hard/cannot be trained. dog training is all about control. If the dog trainers you mentioned can't control the dog they're training, they don't deserve to be called dog trainer in the first place.

from what i see your very first post is discouraging babyeskimo from training her puppy. even highly intelligent breed need basic training. yes, some breed do better in obedience, some in agility some in protection. But I have seen mixed breeds making their owners proud in obedience trials, mastiff in agility and labs going head on with belgium sheperds for shutzund awards. cheers

(This post was edited by mypetdog on Jan 11, 2006, 7:02 PM)

May
Old Hand

Jan 11, 2006, 8:16 PM

Post #14 of 14 (321 views)
Shortcut

Please dun misunderstood me. I never discourage anyone to train their dogs. Afterall, a well trained dog will always make the owner happy. I just want to let her know that husky are stuborn n do not do well in obedience.

I'm sure my frens and the trainer told me that just to let me know that I might encounter some hiccups in training my huskies. Just like when people advice future dog owners to get a breed which suit their lifestyle the most. Anything wrong with that?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my