Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
possesive over food?

cute_doggy7
Dog Kichi

Dec 28, 2005, 8:27 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2415 views)
Shortcut
possesive over food? Can't Post

my semi-stray dog is almost very possesive over food. he doesnt mind me patting him while he eats but im still scared and he growls sometimes.. plus, me and my neighbour thinks its better for him to go to his possibly new home in malacca, which have a nice big space for him to run around. i wanna try to get rid of this behaviour if possible. any tips for me, pls?
in memory of SNOWY
2003-2005
ENJOY HEAVEN~!!
tho we onli have 10months to be with each other but its the best..
visit my blog. mouseeyuns.blogdrive.com

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 29, 2005, 7:38 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cute_doggy7] possesive over food? [In reply to] Can't Post

Very easy. Use the leash to have control and make him do something before he can eat. Interrupt the feeding and take him for a brief walk. Ensure that he obeys all commands before you give the command to continue eating. The moment you take on the role of the alpha dog, he will stop that behavior. Anyway, much more has been written about it in our forum – have fun reading those postings.

cute_doggy7
Dog Kichi

Jan 8, 2006, 5:41 AM

Post #3 of 6 (2375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] possesive over food? [In reply to] Can't Post

i do that sometimes. he only allowes me to disturb him. like everytime i pour too much kibbles on the bowl and use my hand to scoop it out. i seem to have no problem in that but im scared that one day he'll bite me..
in memory of SNOWY
2003-2005
ENJOY HEAVEN~!!

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 9, 2006, 5:40 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2364 views)
Shortcut

If you treat your dog correctly then he will never try to bite you (or anyone else). Your mum did feed you when you were small and I doubt that she worried ever that you might bite her. Right? A puppy might playfully try that, but it is a play and not intended to harm you. Possessive over food is a clear sign of lack of training and missing guidance; hence, the dog takes up the role of the leader. If you take care of your furkid and when you are the leader of the pack (alpha dog) then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, just enjoy the time with your little furkid.

cute_doggy7
Dog Kichi

Jan 10, 2006, 1:06 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2355 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] possesive over food? [In reply to] Can't Post

he is actually a stray dog. but he really manja-ed by me and my neighbour since i shifted here halfe a year ago. he looks like an old dog. no more puppy
in memory of SNOWY
2003-2005
ENJOY HEAVEN~!!

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 10, 2006, 1:15 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2351 views)
Shortcut

Very sweet of you to take care of an old stray dog. Anyway, the rules are still the same for any dog and at any age. You have to play the role of the alpha dog to ensure that he is happy and that he feels secured. Have fun with your furkid.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my