Grooming or no grooming??

karenlky
Novice

Dec 16, 2005, 12:11 AM

Post #1 of 18 (3482 views)
Shortcut
Grooming or no grooming?? Can't Post

Hi everyone...

Would really appreciate if someone could advice me whether it is safe to bring boi boi to groomer before his 3rd vaccination...I'm scared of the disease or virus he might contract there. His only 3 1/2 months old. I was thinking of taking him for a nice groom before christmas....His hair getting really unruly..(see attachment)...Thanks! Blush
Attachments: PICT9 a.jpg (213 KB)

May
Old Hand

Dec 16, 2005, 12:49 AM

Post #2 of 18 (3474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [karenlky] Grooming or no grooming?? [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks fine to me. Better don't take the risk. Why not give him a CNY cut instead?

Cheers!!

karenlky
Novice

Dec 16, 2005, 1:03 AM

Post #3 of 18 (3468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Grooming or no grooming?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi May,

Thanks for the advice....ya loh better not take the risk....maybe I'll give him a litle lion hair cut before CNY...He! He!

christeh
Dog Kichi

Dec 21, 2005, 1:10 AM

Post #4 of 18 (3446 views)
Shortcut

Hihi,

Instead of giving him a CNY cut, y not just give him a good brushing? The Shih Tzu is a naturally long-haired dog, which was meant to be given daily attention to the coat. That way, u can get closer 2 ur pet 2!

karenlky
Novice

Dec 21, 2005, 11:53 AM

Post #5 of 18 (3438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [christeh] Grooming or no grooming?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello!

I do groom and brush him every morning and evening. Clean his eyes, mouth, padding under feet, under belly and give him a gd brushing too. He loves it very much bcoz he can sleep on my lap and try to bite the towel...very naughty and manja one...(see attachment)

happytux
Dog Kichi

Dec 22, 2005, 5:12 PM

Post #6 of 18 (3417 views)
Shortcut

Hey...

I suggest you wait till your dog complete all the vaccinations.. Once his immune system is established, you can send him for grooming. Otherwise, he will be quite vulnerable to other disease...
Happytux

yinyum
Novice

Dec 31, 2005, 5:25 AM

Post #7 of 18 (3362 views)
Shortcut

hi hi...Smile i'm new user here and i just brought my puppy (Cubby=Qbby) back few days ago from breeder..the breeder told me that i have to wipe Qbby's mouth after her meal becoz the fur around her mouth will get dirty and it's better if i wipe it~~ from the pIc thaT i saw in ur attachment...ur puppy is very clean~even the fur around ur puppy's mouth is very clean and white too...hehehhe

but the problem is...everytime i want to clean my puppy's mouth after her meal~~she keeps on wriggle away and makes me hadly to clean her mouth and fur...haih~~so did u always clean ur puppy's mouth and fur around his/her mouth after meal??

i also hadly to clean my puppy's eyes lah...somemore shih tzu's eyes are very big and round...easier to get hurt and injury..that's y i dare not to clean her eyes...Unsure

Can u give mE some advise??Tongue

karenlky
Novice

Jan 1, 2006, 8:13 PM

Post #8 of 18 (3350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yinyum] Grooming or no grooming?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Yinyum,

Welcome to the world of notti shih tzu....Ha! Ha!

When I 1st brought Boi Boi home....I had the same feeling like u....the most important thing is to build up trust between furkid and u....i didn't cut the hair around the eyes until I had him for 1 mth..I was so afraid I'll accidentally poke his eyes! So I started off just wiping the area around his eyes every morning and evening after his meals with a cotton pad saturated with Tear stain remover...i prefer to use the brand Essential which i found Boi Boi to like (he used to wiggle a lot when i was using some other brands) and it only cost RM8.50 per bottle. I still have to hold on tight to his head while i wipe his eyes. Stop wiping when he starts wiggling, say NO then continue when he stops. Then I wipe his whole face, padding under feet and under belly with a clean damp face towel. Boi Boi loves his daily grooming sessions bcoz it's a great time for us to bond. I also use Essentials Tearless shampoo to bath him so that it doesn't irritate his eyes when i wash his face.

Also try giving him dry food only that if free from any food colouring as it may stain his face. I feed Boi Boi Nutro Choice Chicken and rice for puppies. It was recommanded by the vet bcoz he told me that since shih tzu are prone to skin irritation, some other brands could be unsuitable.

I only started to trim the hair around the eyes 1 month ago when the vet told me i had to trim the hair around the eyes as it was getting to long and started poking his eyes. I bought a pair of scissors with a round head from the pet shop and started trimming bit by bit bcoz he wouldn't allow me to lie him down for so long. It took me 2 whole hours to trim him the 1st time but now i only need about 1/2 an hour. It's so much easier to keep his eye area clean now. It's might be a slow process bcoz shih tzu are stubborn sometimes but when u get it done for the 1st time, it like winning the gold medal at the olympics.

Also get him lots of squeaky toys as they tend to chew on the furniture when they get bored.

I got a lot of information from a book I bought. Your Happy Healthy Pet - Shih Tzu (2nd edition) by Jo Ann White.

If you need more information, you can also get me on yahoo messenger - karenliew8968@yahoo.com

Hope this information helps...

(This post was edited by karenlky on Jan 1, 2006, 8:20 PM)

yinyum
Novice

Jan 3, 2006, 7:25 AM

Post #9 of 18 (3331 views)
Shortcut

hi kAreN,

thanks fOr your pRecious informationS! unfortunately~~i do not have yahoo messenger wor...hheheh,but do u have msn messenger??

i juSt bought the essential tear stain remover today!!heheh...and it only costs me RM8..LOL Wink but havent try it out yet,since my furkid is reaLLy tired and dowAn to be distuRb todaY..ehheh~~oh ya..do i have to buy the ear cleaner huh??it is a must??and for the eye drop as well~~the pet shop staff said that these two things are necessary to have...and the stocks there are cheaper compare to pet safari and also other pet shops..hehehe...alot of discount too~heheh...

oh ya~can my furkid swallow the rawhide huh??eatable one???it's so hard woR~and seems like cannot be swallow leh..ehheh..hmm..we can wash puppy's face using a tearless shampoo huh??my fren said that dont wash doggie's face woR~becoz they will clean their face by themselves..but my furkid's face seems like quite dirty leh..LOL...and aLso full of doggie's smell Sly...forgive me becoz i'm still a new dog owner ler..hheheh~not good in bathing my furkid too...

karenlky
Novice

Jan 6, 2006, 9:54 AM

Post #10 of 18 (3317 views)
Shortcut

Hi Yinyum,

I do have msn - karenliew88@hotmail.com but I don't use it often.

About the ear cleaner...I use it once a week, 1 day before I bathe him then clean the ear with a cotton bud. Be careful not to poke too deep...just clean what you can see. If your furkid is always scratching his ear...he could have an infection...the vet told me that boi boi has an infection that could spread to his body if I'm not careful. Unsure He said that shih tzu are prone to this infection...they are just born with it. Now I have to keep boi boi's ear clean and clear from wax and hair.

I don't use eye drops...my vet did not recommend...sometimes the pet shop people will tell us buy this buy that...especially if they know you are a new doggie owner...

I read in the book that rawhide could break apart after a while and poke the throat and cause injury to furkid. It's better to give them breath biscuits or a small white breath bone..made of material that looks like plastic (see attachment).

Maybe your friends doggie know how to clean his own face but boi boi will smell really bad if I don't wash his face. My vet recommended tearless shampoo bcoz it won't irritate his eyes...

Boi boi is teething now...so his teeth really itching...likes to bite my furniture and drag out his poo poo newspaper from the washroom and bite it into a million pieces Crazy. Drives me crazy but when I scold him..he gives me the pitiful face...in the end when I finish cleaning up the mess...I'll feel like want to sayang him.

If you like to see more pics of Boi Boi, please visit his website at www.geocities.com/karenliew8968/boi_boi_page.html

By the way...what's your furkid's name?

Keep in touch...

(This post was edited by karenlky on Jan 6, 2006, 10:05 AM)
Attachments: PICT2192.jpg (210 KB)

yinyum
Novice

Jan 7, 2006, 6:13 AM

Post #11 of 18 (3297 views)
Shortcut

pHew..luCkily i haVent buy the eye drop...but i'm planning to get the ear cleaneR...oh yA~my doggie is Cubby (Qbby)....i realised thAt she always scratch her ears wor..and she likes to her hands to scratch her eyes there too and her face..dunno wHy Crazy

i did try the tear stain remover on mY furkid...buT~she keeps on wiggling,and sometiMes wanna bite me somemore!!haih...and the fur around her mouth is quite dirty...brownish colour like that~but hard to clean that part when i bath her...she moves here and there alot..haIh~maYbe she doesnt enjoy bathIng at aLL..ehheh...

hMm~~ur vet gavE wat kind of vaccination to bOi boI??6 in 1 or more??becoz i'm thinking oF..wanna giVe how many in 1 vaccinatioN to Qbby...since her next vaccination comIng sooN...

aNd~~did u brusH boi bOi's teeth??about the white boNE~ i never see that kind of bOne in peT shop b4 wor...or maybe is me didNt notice it...Laugh

heheh~~Qbby also loves to biTe the pee poo newspaper leh..but luckily she didnt bite it into million pieces!!ahha...if not i'll be cRazy..of cleaning up the mess...hehehe~~evErytimes when sHe biting my toes..then i push her away and saiD NO!! but she come anD bites again...then i saId HAR!!BITE?! theN she wiLL fast fAst run away 1~LOL... so everytime she bARk or sHe bites whatever she shouldnt bite..then i sAid HAR!!! shE ran awaY ASAP...hahaha Cool tHe moSt effectiVe way so faR i fouNd...to stop her do bad thinGs~hehe..

karenlky
Novice

Jan 10, 2006, 3:40 AM

Post #12 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Hi Yinyum,

Cubby so cutie...I think you should take Cubby to vet to check her ears....just in case.

Normally when I wipe Boi Boi's eye area..I'll hold his head with 1 hand and wipe with the other. Wrap the cotton around the tip of your middle finger...why don't you try to put your thumb under her chin and the other 4 fingers on top of her head to get a better grip...turn her head to 1 side and wipe as fast as possible...not easy in the beginning but try loh. If you don't start wiping now...she won't look pretty and clean next time.

I bathe Boi Boi with warm water in the morning...try placing Cubby on top a stool or on top of the toilet bowl cover...so less place for her to walk around. Pour water on her gently starting from the neck area till the tail...and also the under belly. Keep the head dry. Give her a good rubbing with shampoo all over including in between the toes. This will remove all the dirt and stain from her...rinse off the shampoo and give her round 2 shampoo to make the hair smell good. Now cover the top of her head with the palm of your hand and gently pour some water taking care not to get water into her nose.She might wriggle around a bit so try talking to her....maybe say Good Cubby...good girl..pour some shampoo on your hand and gently rub the area around the eyes, mouth and chin. When you think she's clean enough...rinse your hands and using your wet fingers slowly wipe the area around the face...keep rinsing your fingers then wipe again. Start rinsing the whole body taking care not to leave any residue especially the armpits, the genitals and in between the toes. I don't use any conditioner now bcoz using a mild shampoo. After the body is totally clean, cover her head again with your palm and pour some water to make sure there's no shampoo left on her face.

Wrap her in a towel and hug her for a while so that the towel can absorb most of the water...this will cut drying time in half. Wipe her gently especially the face area and the ear.

The vet gave Boi Boi 6 in 1...he said enough woh..

I don't brush Boi Boi's teeth but I apply doggie toothpaste on my finger and rub his gums and teeth. He seems to enjoy it...maybe the flavour is good....

I bought the white bone at Pets Wonderland Midvalley...I think it's where they hang all the doggie treats and rawhide...

Boi Boi also likes to bite my toes especially when he's excited and he follows me wherever I go. Even when I bathe...he must sit and wait at the bathroom door or when i'm cooking....he must purposely sit near my feet so I have to be very careful not to step on him and spill the food...he goes crazy when I sweep and wipe the floor....keep wanting to bite the broom and mop...so I have to keep saying NO NO NO....Unsure

But in the end....even after all the cleaning and scolding and yelling...Boi Boi makes me the happiest person and I love him to pieces...

chaiwoon

Feb 17, 2006, 11:25 AM

Post #13 of 18 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Frownyinyum...

Ur Cubby so cute n playful... she mistaken HAR as NO liao... hahha...

hmm... I have ST too. 1 yr old male. I called him boyboy. like what karenlky call her furkid. i guess it's a common name for a male dog. kekke...

I think no need to buy ear or eye cleaner. normally we seldom use eye cleaner. i got one at home, kena cheated by the petshop fella, only use for few times.. and for ear, can clean it using cotton but. dun pork it too deep. this is how my vet clean my boyboy's ear. last time i dunno, i just apply a drop of ear cleaner (also kena cheated) into his ear and din clean up wit cotton but. hai.. in the end, his ear was so smelly. later i found out that we should use cotton but to clean it after applying..

and for the grooming... last time i dunno much, so i just send my boyboy for grooming even before his 2nd jab.. coz i cannot tahan liao, his fur so long.. but lucky thing, he was still healthy.. kekke...

about brushing.. start it when she is small.. i do brush my boyboy's teeth daily before sleep.. before this i use bone.. dunno call what... then arr, he chew and chew and then telan the whole bone.. they cannot digest it then come out as pooh pooh lorr... that's y i switched to brushing..
www.dogster.com/?378834

maegan
Dog Kichi

Mar 3, 2006, 3:19 AM

Post #14 of 18 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, share my experience to u, i hv been bring my Shih Tzu make grooming at a pet shop, coz my dog hair is very long so i ask the pet shop cut its hair shoter,so the laddy of the pet shop told me after 4 hour come back to take my dog, so i left my dog there & go. But after 2 hours the laddy call me to pick my, i am wonder y she can groom so fast, wen i reach the pet shop, i c my dog become BOTAK!!!! the laddy explain coz my dog got skin problem so need to cut botak, cutting botak & grooming is totally 2 different things, but she still charge me grooming price-RM 120. Then Fine, after i go home, i found out that my dogs finger is bleeding Mad The laddy cut off a size like 10sen skin on my finger, i scold the laddy y she hurt my dogs, but she said coz of skin problem not her false!! i damn angry & quickly send my dog to clinic!! after that i never send my dog to pet shop anymore!! i rather spend more $$$ send them to Dog clinic to do grooming then send them to the pet shop.. So Take my experience..Crazy

yinyum
Novice

Mar 7, 2006, 2:35 AM

Post #15 of 18 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maegan] Grooming or no grooming?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Maegan..

So how is ur furkid now???fine??pity lah...became botak out of sudden...

well~~~~can u tell me which pet shop u sent ur furkid to??dont need to mention very details..just tell~~it's located around where..near where..hehehe..so that we all can be aware of it..

it's very expensive to charge u RM120..becoz they just shave off all ur dog's fur...haih~~~~

best regards,

Samantha

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 7, 2006, 6:22 AM

Post #16 of 18 (2994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maegan] Grooming or no grooming?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,

I don't think any dog groomer out there will simply cut a dog BOTAk like that. There must be a reason why the groomer cut it. Also the groomer should call & inform to you first before cutting the dog BOTAK.

And I don't think the lady say ur dog got skin problem and cut it BOTAK. Usually the groomer cut a dog BOTAK is due to the dog hair have too many tangle and it is very difficult to untangle it that why cut it BOTAK.

maegan
Dog Kichi

Mar 7, 2006, 4:38 PM

Post #17 of 18 (2983 views)
Shortcut

hi yinyum, sing sing is no more with my nw, he lost during chinese new year eve,Frownthe pet shop is somewer around old klang road area, after that i never go back to the pet shop anymore...coz they make my sing sing very suffer during he botak that time, fingger keep on bleeding need to apply med, somemore he feel very cold although i gv him wear cloth oso no used, i need to always carry him i at home,he sleep with me, so nite time i oso need to put a blanckle on him to cover him!!just like take care a real baby Tonguei send sing sing cut short he hair like the pic i show, the doc only charge me RM 70, cut short is more difficult then cut botak!!!but it is cheaper then the pet shop charge meFrown

maegan
Dog Kichi

Mar 7, 2006, 4:44 PM

Post #18 of 18 (2980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Grooming or no grooming?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi chrisdong, the reason that the groomer gv me is my sing sing got skin problem, but wen i send to doctor to check he said nop, so hw u think? yes she must call me b4 she do the action but she dint call me!!!Madafter that i need to send my sing sing go to c doc to take med for he bleeding fingerFrown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my